Liked: 10
I just purchased this 37" LCD tv from QVC yesterday. The specs are as follows:

37" 16:9 Widescreen LCD-TV PANEL
Built-in HDTV tuner(ATSC & Clear QAM)
Built-in DVD w/1080i Up-Conversion Video
Built-in Memory Card Reader
Support Resolutions: 1080i/720p/480p/480i
Digital Comb Filter
4 Color Temperature Settings: (Normal, Cool, Warm, User-Define)
Trilingual On Screen Display (English, French, Spanish)
Terminal Inputs: 2 x HDMI, Component, 2 x Composite, 2 x S-Video, RF
V-Chip

Panel Resolution: 1366 x 768
Brightness (cd/m2): 500
Contrast Ratio: 800:1
Response Time: 8 ms
Speakers: 2 (8w x 8w)
Input Power: AC 100~240V, 50/60Hz
Power Consumption: 250W

Obviously to keep this within the rules I will not post any price discussion.
QVC sold a ton of them yesterday.
The set should be delivered a week from Wednesday. I will post a review after it arrives.

I am replacing either my quickly degrading Zenith 27" CRT set which is at least 10 years old or the bedroom 27" Sony Trinitron, which is so old it has a push button tuner with no remote(it was free). I will be upgrading my DISH service to HD as soon as I can afford a new receiver etc. Until then I will make do with over the air HD channels here in Detroit. I will be adding a HD-DVD player as soon as I can as well.

So the question is which dvd do I test out the upconverting built in dvd player with first?

I have seen no discussion of this tv or the 32" version. Does anyone out there have one?

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-21-2006, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also bought the 37" Mintek.I have'nt got it yet but I tried Minteks customer asistence phone line for hours and I can't get thru.I heard that is a problem.It is hard to get in touch with Mintek about your warrenty. I hope I'm not disappointed with this T.V. I hope it is not a piece of junk.I bought it because of the easy pay thru Q.V.C. I dont think Q.V.C. has anything to do with the warrenty.If anyone has it already please let me know if it was a good purchase. Thank You Leasa
post #3 of 38 Old 11-21-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeanbaby59 View Post

I also bought the 37" Mintek.I have'nt got it yet but I tried Minteks customer asistence phone line for hours and I can't get thru.I heard that is a problem.It is hard to get in touch with Mintek about your warrenty. I hope I'm not disappointed with this T.V. I hope it is not a piece of junk.I bought it because of the easy pay thru Q.V.C. I dont think Q.V.C. has anything to do with the warrenty.If anyone has it already please let me know if it was a good purchase. Thank You Leasa

Mine has been shipped. I think Mintek is a fairly recent entry into the larger lcd market. On one of the shows QVC was selling a rebadged
Mintek 10.2" portable dvd player under the Magnavox label. If it is the case that Mintek made the 37" Magnavox LCD I saw at Sam's Club over the weekend I am encouraged. It was sitting next to a Samsung 37" and the Magnavox had a better picture. I guess we will know soon enough. When is yours due to arrive?

Gary
post #4 of 38 Old 11-23-2006, 12:53 AM

Mine is due Dec. 1st.I'm like you i will be glad to get it Q.V.C. said I had til Jan.31st to rerturn it if I didnt like it and they will refund my shipping so that is a good thing to know.Please keep me posted when you get your and let me know what you think. Leasa
post #5 of 38 Old 11-23-2006, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mine is due on 11/29. I will post a full review once it arrives.

Gary

Just an update the tv should arrive today if i can believe the UPS tracking info.
post #6 of 38 Old 11-27-2006, 05:14 PM

Gary have you got your t.v. yet? I seen where you said it should arrive do to the tracking info so I just wanted to check? Leasa
post #7 of 38 Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing yet. I checked this afternoon and UPS is showing tomorrow as the updated delivery date. Given my work schedule I will probably have to go to UPS and pick it up. Do you have an updated delivery date?

Gary
post #8 of 38 Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 AM

No I called about mine and it still says in process of shipping.I talked to customer service and they said it had to ware houses it could be coming from but it would be shipping soon.Keep me posted. Thank You Leasa
post #9 of 38 Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 AM

"There Was 2 Warehouses it could be leaving from" Sorry about that half asleep
post #10 of 38 Old 11-28-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Great so I was home briefly in the middle of the day, but missed the UPS truck by less than 90 minutes. My tv is taking a scenic tour of Metro Detroit.
They will attempt to deliver again tomorrow but I will be at work.

Frustration.
post #11 of 38 Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragar01 View Post

Great so I was home briefly in the middle of the day, but missed the UPS truck by less than 90 minutes. My tv is taking a scenic tour of Metro Detroit.
They will attempt to deliver again tomorrow but I will be at work.

Frustration.

I hate to hear that I was hoping you would get your's so I would know what to exspect.Hope you get it soon good luck and keep me intouch.
post #12 of 38 Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Was home for a bit again today and my tv is still on the UPS merry go round. Maybe tomorrow.
post #13 of 38 Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM

Well, I have had the TV for about four days and already been on the phone with Mintek support for an hour and have had the cable company visit to attempt a repair. Synchronization with audio and video are very bad. I have an old Magnavox VCR hooked up with a Magnavox Dual DVR. I also subscribed to HD-TV programming.

The problems I am having is that the synchronization is not always correct with the lips and the audio. Sometimes, while flipping channels, the sounds become very scratchy. Also, when flipping to an HD channel, the sound is not even there, and then when reverting to the previous channel, there is no sound at all. I have to turn off the TV and turn it back on.

Some troubleshooting performed consisted of removing all components and simply hooking up the cable from the wall directly to the TV. Synchronization was still off. On Monday, the Cable company is replacing the DVR/Cable box to rule out a problem with this piece of equipment. My wife and I suspect it is a problem with the TV because last week, we had a Samsung LN-S4041D which worked fine but proved to be a bit too large.

Mintek asked to test the DVD player for synchronization problems. I can't recall if there was a problem. They insist if the DVD is synchronized, then the problem lies with the cable equipment. Naturally, the cable company insists the problem is with the response of the audio synchronizing with the video. Note: both the Samsung that we had and this new Mintek list an 8 millisecond response time, which is considered an acceptible standard.

I am beginning to wish that I still had the Samsung but will wait until next Monday to make that decision.
post #14 of 38 Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 AM

Oh Gosh I have'nt got mine yet maybe I should not sign for it and make them take it back.What would you do? That is to much money to waist on a T.V. if it is having problems like that.Did Mintek say they have had problems with that T.V. ? Well if they have they probably would not say.I don't know what I should do!!
post #15 of 38 Old 12-01-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Oh Gosh I have'nt got mine yet maybe I should not sign for it and make them take it back.What would you do? That is to much money to waist on a T.V. if it is having problems like that.Did Mintek say they have had problems with that T.V. ? Well if they have they probably would not say.I don't know what I should do!!

One reason I got the T.V. is for my son he plays xbox 360 online and he wanted a L.C.D. so you think it will still be a good t.v. for him or not? Sorry I am asking you but Im not sure if I should keep it or send it back when it gets here.
post #16 of 38 Old 12-01-2006, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Finally was able to take delivery yesterday. The box looked like it had been on a UPS truck for the last 2 days. With lots of help from my cats , well ok they were having fun with the box and sitting in front of the remote sensor, I got the set out of the box. It is temporarily in the master bedroom on the floor, until I get a large enough stand to hold it.

Initial impressions:
1) The manual lacks a user friendly "Hey you just unboxed it here's how you set this puppy up section." Despite the lack of set up info, I got the set plugged in and connected to my outdoor antenna.

2) It looks much larger in person than on tv. I suppose its a matter of perspective with all the 42" plus sets at places like best buy, but 37" sets don't seem large until you are trying to free it from its box.

3) I'm still playing with the settings and haven't connected my Dish(non HD) to the set yet. But the settings seem pretty good out of the box.

4) The high def channels pulled in here in Metro Detroit are amazing. I have seen no lack of synch on any channel or on the DVD player.

5) Since Black levels are always a concern with LCD tvs I put in Batman Begins as my test disk and then later a Deep Space Nine Season 5 disc. The DVD player upconversion is very nice. Black levels are fine. When I can spend more time I will check the set out with the THX calibration on some of my dvds.

6) SD channels look pretty good.

7) The speakers aren't great but they will do til I get a system for the bedroom.

8) Set has a number of zoom modes from from 1/4th to 4x.

9) You cannot adjust the picture quality unless you are in tv mode as opposed to dvd mode. Although I will double check that this evening. (Double checked and yes it can be adjusted by switching the remote to tv functions while the dvd player is running.)

So far it looks like the box will be headed to the trash soon.
More later.

Gary
post #17 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:

I would probably keep the set. I think mine is an isolated problem with the cable company. The reason I am saying this is because when I play a DVD movie, there is no problem with synchronization. When I switch channels, sometimes synchronization is on, sometimes synchronization is off. Unfortunately, the lips don't match the video more frequently than not.
post #18 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm keeping mine even though it is not hooked to my dish box. One down side of the set is only one rf connection right now that is used by my out door antenna to pull in the local over the air analog and digital channels including the HD channels.
Perhaps I need to look for a cheap switcher?
I need to read the manual so far when i put in a 4 by 3 disc like season 3 of Bewitched it stretches it to 16 by 9 and there are no pillar boxes...odd. Even odder the stretching isn't making the people even look weird. Well ok so it is making things look odd an old style station wagon in a Bewitched episode appeared extremely wide. I have yet to find a way on any of the control panels or remote to set the aspect ratio at 4x3 for older material.

Can anyone help with this issue?

Gary
post #19 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Just a short follow up based on extended weekend viewing.

1) No dead pixels. At least not that I can see.

2) Watched the Lions and New England and part of the Sunday Night NFL Game as well as the local coverage of the Pistons Knicks NBA game over weekend. Very nice and no obvious ghosting. Saw some pixelization in the background if I really looked which was seen when the camera was panned rapidly.

Issues:

1) No way to set the built in DVD player to run stuff in 4x3 mode when the discs are older content. While the DVD menu provides the standard 3 options on DVD setup changing it made no difference in the 4x3 content of Bewitched Season 3.

2) Have had some remote issues with the remote refusing to function in dvd mode. I will narrow down when it occurs and post more later. The work around involves going back into TV mode by watching tv content then back to DVD and all the buttons work again.
post #20 of 38 Old 12-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Did you try clicking the Video Mode button on the bottom-right of the remote control? I think this changes the Aspect Ratio.
post #21 of 38 Old 12-05-2006, 12:13 PM

Well, the cable company arrived yesterday and determined that the problem I experienced is attributed to bad HDMI ports. The Motorola Cablebox was replaced first, and we still had VERY VERY poor synchronization from the video and audio. Furthermore, the audio being emitted sounded like someone was speaking through a kazoo. Very scratchy! Sometimes, when switching from one channel to another, the sound would mute. The only way to fix this was to press the mute button and then press the mute button a second time. After replacing the cable box, the next step was to replace the HDMI cable with a new one. The problem still existed with the new HDMI cable and the new cable box. The cable guy then replaced the HDMI cable with component video cables. The sound problem is fixed but now the colors appear to be changing ever so slowly. If you are in the middle of watching a show and you can stare at an actors face for a few seconds, you can see the face fade from a peachy, warm glow to a ever-so-slight grey tone back to the warm color.

Does anyone know what would cause this?
post #22 of 38 Old 12-05-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogriderj View Post

Well, the cable company arrived yesterday and determined that the problem I experienced is attributed to bad HDMI ports. The Motorola Cablebox was replaced first, and we still had VERY VERY poor synchronization from the video and audio. Furthermore, the audio being emitted sounded like someone was speaking through a kazoo. Very scratchy! Sometimes, when switching from one channel to another, the sound would mute. The only way to fix this was to press the mute button and then press the mute button a second time. After replacing the cable box, the next step was to replace the HDMI cable with a new one. The problem still existed with the new HDMI cable and the new cable box. The cable guy then replaced the HDMI cable with component video cables. The sound problem is fixed but now the colors appear to be changing ever so slowly. If you are in the middle of watching a show and you can stare at an actors face for a few seconds, you can see the face fade from a peachy, warm glow to a ever-so-slight grey tone back to the warm color.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

No idea and I have not seen that on mine. However, I am not using the HDMI ports at present either. Wish I could be of more help.

Gary
post #23 of 38 Old 12-05-2006, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogriderj View Post

Did you try clicking the Video Mode button on the bottom-right of the remote control? I think this changes the Aspect Ratio.

I tried that without success.
but I'll play with it again tonight when I get home.

Gary
post #24 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

One additional comment about the Mintek tv so far. There is no appearance on broken white and black lines at the top of the picture or yellow lines at the side of the picture. Both of these have been noted on units like the Westinghouse. My unit continues to perform extremely well. I have watched a number of shows over the last week on the over the air HD channels as well as DVD's including CSI Season 3 disc 2, Bewitched Season 3 disc 2, Zulu, The Incredibles, Fantasia 2000, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and Batman Begins. With the exception of not being able to figure out how to put the dvd player into 4x3 so that the stretched appearance on older content programming is gone, this continues to be a keeper.

Gary
post #25 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 05:21 AM

Well, I ended up returning the DVD player. The HDMI quality is just not good enough yet on the Mintek TV. I ended up having too many problems when viewing channels using the HDMI ports. Why pay for the technology if it is not working, right? Using the Component cables were slightly better but you can see a difference in video quality when viewing an HD resolution.

I returned this TV and purchased a Samsung LNS3238D with a Samsung HD860 DVD player for about the same price as the Mintek, plus I get an extended three year warranty which begins at the end of the manufacturer's first year warranty.

Mintek did not offer anything like this.
post #26 of 38 Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking this thread had been moved over to the new LCD Forum. I have until 1/31/07 to return my tv. I do not have anything to connect on the HDMI inputs at present. Best I can do with other video equipment I own is hook up the old laser disc player using svideo and use component input with one of my other dvd players.
I like this tv and like the PQ on the dvd player and the OTA HD channels. I am wondering if perhaps I should return the set and with the refund from QVC pickup the 37" Vizio from Best Buy and pick up an HDDVD player from Best Buy.

Anyone have any input?

Gary
post #27 of 38 Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Hi~I bought this TV this past November & I love it. It is a beautifully designed TV on the outside. I do have a problem right now with it. he DVD player locked & none of the buttons work on the side of the TV, nor is the remote able to control the TV. I think the remote is OK, just the DVD player doesn't work. The TV runs but I can't control the volume at this point. Luckily it was at a decent volume when it happened. If anyone has encountered this problem, please let me know. Otherwise, I will call support. Thanks, Mommy McMahon
post #28 of 38 Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy McMahon View Post

Hi~I bought this TV this past November & I love it. It is a beautifully designed TV on the outside. I do have a problem right now with it. he DVD player locked & none of the buttons work on the side of the TV, nor is the remote able to control the TV. I think the remote is OK, just the DVD player doesn't work. The TV runs but I can't control the volume at this point. Luckily it was at a decent volume when it happened. If anyone has encountered this problem, please let me know. Otherwise, I will call support. Thanks, Mommy McMahon

~Hi~
It would be great if this thread keeps going so we all know how others are making out with their QVC Mintek LCD purchase. We also experienced the same problem as you noted above, but even worse, every button with the exception of the on/off button (on both the tv and remote) froze up. We didn't know at first what was going on, and thought (after replaying the remote with fresh batteries to no avail) that the remote broke somehow... We put a dvd in hoping it would make the buttons forget they didn't want to work, and the dvd successfully loaded and got itself to the 'menu' section, and well, you need a button to push to tell it to play,,, so guess what,,, we lost our dvd as well. We packed the set up, and sent it back to QVC, and they replaced it with a brand new one at our request (we enjoyed the viewing/quality etc). So we have no complaints on that aspect of it; no lugging a big set back to a store and hoping the clerk doesn't have a bad mood on that day etc... wasting gas in the vehicle and so on. (Mommy McMahon, send your's back and explain the freeze up, since our set went back for the same reason, they already know it's an issue .) We only had to call Q's customer service for a "Call Ticket",,, explain the reason for the return, and the next day UPS was here to pick it up. No fees involved on our end. And customer service was very nice about it. We're only hoping that we experience no problems with the new set; but if we do, it will go back, as not being a single occurrence, they should without a problem recognize this we hope. Also, we saw somewhere else on this forum as well as in our instruction booklet that came with the set, if it freezes up, to unplug it, and replug everything back in, and it should work. Try that first to see if your set (resets) itself. Seeing this on the forum indicated to us, that perhaps these sets (not any one particular brand) has this problem now and then(?) We did try this recommendation several times, but nothing happened, it remained frozen. I must also admit, the first set that was sent to us looked like it had a very difficult delivery (shipping) and we thought perhaps this was the reason for the breakdown,,, but reading your thread makes us wonder perhaps not. Hope this post helps you and others, and I hope those who own this Mintek LCD 37" will keep the topic open so we know how this model is in the long run.

Someone else posted they had issues with quality with the HDMI cable vs. the component cables. We see a big difference with the HDMI,,, vs. the component cables. We thought it looked great with the component cables until a tech told us to invest in the HDMI cables, even nicer. The HD programs especially are much more vibrant and clear, for us. We are connected with Direct TV, if that helps. The only down side we have been experiencing at the moment (with both sets) is a very annoying buzzing sound when changing channels. We just had the DirectTV technician out yesterday, and he said it was either the HDMI cable itself (bad cable), or the port on the directTV receiver unit isn't good. We need some additional work done regarding our DirectTV service (dish and another line), so he said at that time, when we call for that service, to request them to check the receiver's HDMI port,,, that we're getting 'feedback' when we change channels. He did verify it wasn't the TV, by hooking up our vcr and dvd recorder to this set, and when the dvd player/recorder was on, we experience no feedback, because the signal is going through the dvd/recorder, not the HDMI cord. Hope this post helps others owning this set, that's why we popped over to see how other's evaluated their set and experience with it over the months owning it...
post #29 of 38 Old 02-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem347 View Post

~Hi~

Someone else posted they had issues with quality with the HDMI cable vs. the component cables. We see a big difference with the HDMI,,, vs. the component cables. We thought it looked great with the component cables until a tech told us to invest in the HDMI cables, even nicer. The HD programs especially are much more vibrant and clear, for us. We are connected with Direct TV, if that helps. The only down side we have been experiencing at the moment (with both sets) is a very annoying buzzing sound when changing channels. We just had the DirectTV technician out yesterday, and he said it was either the HDMI cable itself (bad cable), or the port on the directTV receiver unit isn't good. We need some additional work done regarding our DirectTV service (dish and another line), so he said at that time, when we call for that service, to request them to check the receiver's HDMI port,,, that we're getting 'feedback' when we change channels. He did verify it wasn't the TV, by hooking up our vcr and dvd recorder to this set, and when the dvd player/recorder was on, we experience no feedback, because the signal is going through the dvd/recorder, not the HDMI cord. Hope this post helps others owning this set, that's why we popped over to see how other's evaluated their set and experience with it over the months owning it...

I'm having the same issue with my DTV-265, which is the 26-inch version of the Mintek TV/DVD that you have. The picture via component is really great so it's not a huge problem but I got that same buzzing noise when changing channels. I also have DirecTV but here's the kicker: I've tried 2 different HDMI cables on two different boxes, an HR10-250 and an H20. Maybe it really is the DirecTV boxes, though. Let us know what you find out.
post #30 of 38 Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSey View Post

I'm having the same issue with my DTV-265, which is the 26-inch version of the Mintek TV/DVD that you have. The picture via component is really great so it's not a huge problem but I got that same buzzing noise when changing channels. I also have DirecTV but here's the kicker: I've tried 2 different HDMI cables on two different boxes, an HR10-250 and an H20. Maybe it really is the DirecTV boxes, though. Let us know what you find out.

Hi BigSey: I just 'tonight' came over to see if anyone posted any other (or same) issues with the Mintek (buzzing noise but more importantly, the buttons non-functioning out of the blue). At this time, we haven't called the tech back out yet, as we need to run a new wire before our dish is moved to it's new location, and we just had a major 20+ " blizzard here (east coast); we're still trying to dig out. I'm hoping it's not the HDMI cord, since many have said these cords run around $100, and my spouse pick ours up at Walmart for around $35. I'm hoping it's not one of those you get what you pay for ? But the tech said if it was the box's port, they will replace the entire box, - he didn't have an extra HDMI cable in his vehicle to check the cord, but the customer service (ask for the HD Tech Support Department when you call) said 'they were' having issues with the HDMI (receiver) port. I have a great picture, and sound, it's only when changing channels. I mute it to change the channel for now... But I want it fixed,,, since we're paying money for the service and not to be inconvenienced. I will keep you posted as soon as our new wire is run, and the snow melts a bit, as right now it's very dangerous to be doing anything outside right now

Right now my major concern is the erratic behavior with the function buttons,,, my new set acted up on us today, the volume started going erratically up and down, etc, and if I tried the "tv menu' button (no way I was going to lose another DVD), anyhow in the "TV menu" area I pushed the side arrow once, same thing, it went crazy all over the place,,, until I tapped the button again and it decided to stop (kind of like a toggle switch). Now tonight, (thank God) it's 100% fine,,, I'm really confused about this and we're really hoping it isn't a 'flaw' with this model especially since the picture quality (HD) is great (crystal clear), we're really spoiled now . (we no longer want to watch our other TV's in the house). (our's is the 37" inch)...

Sorry I wasn't more help to you 'at this time', but I'll keep you posted as soon as our tech comes back out to move our dish and check the receiver port/HDMI cord.

-------------
Anyone else own this 37" Mintek ? Comments , pros/cons ???
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page