NEC SpectraView 1990 (LCD 1990SXi) backlighting leakage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2006, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently bought a NEC SpectraView 1990 to help me in processing my photos, after being disappointed with the quality of various low-budget monitors. I did intentionally choose the SpectraView over the "plain" 1990SXi, besides for the other special features (like hardware calibration), also expecting to have a higher quality product (returning a bad sample is frequently problematic in my country).

My first impressions with the screen backlighting uniformity however are not at all good. All settings standard, on a completely black screen there is light "leaking" from the edges, especially in some places. While this wouldn't be a problem if it was visible only on a completely blank screen, it is pronounced to a degree where it becomes distracting when, say, watching a movie with enough dark scenes in it.

Better to see than to hear explanations, but unfortunately the forum rules won't let me put here the photo of the monitor, I've made. Well, at least I'll try putting the URL (obscured though), which (this is to moderators and admins) is done in a good faith.

people(dot)acad(dot)bg/~iliev/various/nec/sv1990-1-t.jpg

The screen is not that bright, nor it's that blueish in reality. The bleeding (in white) can be seen at the left edge, and even more pronounced -- at the upper part of the right edge. The two brighter blue areas in the upper left and lower right are not backlighting leakage, but rather inconsistencies of the type, caused by different viewing angles. It's still strange why they appear as well, since the photo was made from 2-3 meters away.

What troubles me most, is whether this is a normal thing to expect from such kind of monitor, or should I ask for replacement instead (even though it might be refused)? After all, the cheap Samsung on my work desk looks much better, at least when speaking about uniformity. On the other hand though, there's also the nonnegligible risk of getting a sample even worse than the current one (and I cannot choose from different samples, so it's quite like a lottery).

I guess these things are difficult to judge, since each pair of eyes out there is different, and what is uniform for someone might be completely unacceptable for someone else. Anyway though, any advice or comments will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Luchesar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2006, 10:27 AM

Sony and Samsung's have the same problem: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hm, I guess that's the syndrome of the "Made in China" sign...
post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Yep - join the club of cloudy LCD screen owners. I've had two Sony XBR2s and one Samsung 4695 set with the exact cloudiness issues to different degrees.

In your case, with the bleeding of the backlight on the sides, I would tell you to return it as that is very clearly a defect. The Sonys and Samsungs only have the low contrast bluish clouds.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hello again, guys, and thank you very much!

I'd really like to apologize for being so late with my reply; I wanted to write you as soon as I had my problem solved, but whether you believe it or not, it's still not solved now, nearly 5 months later!

Well, I did return the monitor to NEC (through their representative). Then I had to wait for about 2 months, but finally I got a replacement. Two months wouldn't have been too much of a problem, if only the monitor was OK itself. But see what it looked like (once again the URLs are obscured in good faith):

people(dot)acad(dot)bg/~iliev/various/nec/sv1990-stripes.jpg

people(dot)acad(dot)bg/~iliev/various/nec/sv1990-stripes-rgb.jpg

I don't really think this is the way a professional grade monitor should look like, so I sent it back again. Now, a month later (it's good that I decided to ask about the situation) I'm being told that, according to NEC, my description of the problem is "subjective and incorrect", and there's no reason therefore to make a replacement.

Well, I'll leave to you to decide who's right and who's wrong. I, personally, feel very much disappointed with NEC and it's quite improbable that I'll buy anything from them anytime soon. It's definitely not what I would expect from such a company both in terms of production quality and customer care.

Anyhow, in the end I was offered a refund, so I'm currently thinking what to buy in place of the SpectraView. Several people already suggested Eizo (specifically CG19), but I'll be happy to hear other opinions as well.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Luchesar
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page