Westinghouse W3213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-21-2006, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like any post on the Westinghouse W3213 in terms of personal experience, such as ghosting, picture quality, etc.

I plan on buying this tv, but the store selling it in my area did not have it on display.

(Also, I will not buy the Olevia 232v do to its ghosting problems with 480 i/p sources.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 PM

I don't have personal experience with the Westinghouse W3213 model, but I do have experience with the ATI Xilleon processor chip that is IN the Westinghouse 3213 Model.

The ATI Xilleon processor is linked to unfixable horrible ghosting/blurriness of 480i/480p output images no matter what source it comes from.

This has been voiced by many users on AVS Forum lately. They've reportedly had the issue with Olevia 232V, Olevia 432V, Olevia 532H, Westinghouse LTV-32W6, and basically any 23"-37" budget LCD HDTV containing an ATI Xilleon processor.

At least one official representative has been quoted as saying that the problem with 480 sources is a flaw in the ATI Xilleon and that they will not be fixing the issue.

I own a Olevia 532H, and personally, I find the HDTV content of 720P and up to be absolutely stunning quality. No problems at all. However, any 480 source (Standard Television, and non-up-scaled DVD's) ghost something horrible.
I just bought a upconverter that will take care of my problem for all my sources for incredibly cheap, so I no longer have any problems with my specific set-up, but its up to you to test out the set with 480 and see if you can handle paying for that.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. Most of my TV viewing will be SD so I will probably have to look at a different set.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-22-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dementia
I own a Olevia 532H, and personally, I find the HDTV content of 720P and up to be absolutely stunning quality. No problems at all. However, any 480 source (Standard Television, and non-up-scaled DVD's) ghost something horrible.
I just bought a upconverter that will take care of my problem for all my sources for incredibly cheap, so I no longer have any problems with my specific set-up, but its up to you to test out the set with 480 and see if you can handle paying for that.
Evil Dementia, can you describe the upconverter you have?
post #5 of 20 Old 11-23-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolonghorn
Thanks for the information. Most of my TV viewing will be SD so I will probably have to look at a different set.
I've been researching like mad (as of the time of writing) on this set and the Olevia 232v since they're going for just under five-hundred 'bucks' at BB and CC (Olevia 232v) and thank god for this forum (and your post); I was about to go and camp-out since around 4 a.m. in order to get in early and score what seemed like a great deal 'til I read the above.

It's definitely a "deal-breaker" for me that SD is such an issue with these sets, no wonder they're going for cheap. Looks like the 'Cust. Service' folks at this stores will be awfully busy in the next few days.

I'm mainly using SD signals and the last thing I want is to waste money on a set that won't even compare to a "tube" t.v. in terms of performance with SD.

Looks like my flat panel research continues... It seems like a ridiculous feat for such "advance" tech. i.e. it can't even reproduce old technology (SD) at a decent performance level - what a joke!

Proud: Video Game/HD-DVD/DVD/LaserDisc/Dance Music aficionado.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dementia
I don't have personal experience with the Westinghouse W3213 model, but I do have experience with the ATI Xilleon processor chip that is IN the Westinghouse 3213 Model.

The ATI Xilleon processor is linked to unfixable horrible ghosting/blurriness of 480i/480p output images no matter what source it comes from.

This has been voiced by many users on AVS Forum lately. They've reportedly had the issue with Olevia 232V, Olevia 432V, Olevia 532H, Westinghouse LTV-32W6, and basically any 23"-37" budget LCD HDTV containing an ATI Xilleon processor.

At least one official representative has been quoted as saying that the problem with 480 sources is a flaw in the ATI Xilleon and that they will not be fixing the issue.

Thank you! You're a life-saver! You just saved me 500 'bucks' that were going down the drain.... or at the very least: a wasted/"early bird" fiasco + back & forth time wasting and stress.... I can't thank you enough!

Btw..... I'm also interested in reading about your 'upconverter' solution.

Happy Thanks Giving to all of you!!!

post #7 of 20 Old 11-23-2006, 04:54 PM

Anyone here that owns a W3213, Olevia 32 inch model, or anything with the ATI Xilleon processor successfully upscale the signal from an SD source to 720p to get rid of the ghosting effect? What hardware did you use to do it?

I'm new to the whole LCD TV front and i have done a decent amount of research on the tv's w/ the this ATI processor in it. I havent seen anyone post an affordable solution to the problem already.

Evil Dementia:
"I own a Olevia 532H, and personally, I find the HDTV content of 720P and up to be absolutely stunning quality. No problems at all. However, any 480 source (Standard Television, and non-up-scaled DVD's) ghost something horrible.
I just bought a upconverter that will take care of my problem for all my sources for incredibly cheap, so I no longer have any problems with my specific set-up, but its up to you to test out the set with 480 and see if you can handle paying for that."

This question isn't directed to Evil Dementia alone, i'm just wondering what my options are if i deside to buy this TV for the incredibly cheap price.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-23-2006, 05:22 PM

Samsung DVD-HD860 HDMI Upconversion DVD Player <==i'd post the link directly but since i'm a new member it will not let me :(

Would this work to upscale the SD coaxial input or would this only upscale the DVD input? If this does the upscaling directly and you set the screen to a 1:1 ratio that should clear up the ghosting correct?
post #9 of 20 Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Can anyone offer any further input in regards to the above? Much appreciated.

post #10 of 20 Old 11-24-2006, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm wondering the same thing. What upconverter fixes all of the sources? I was under the impression that a dvd upconverter would only fix the dvd source, and not the sd coaxial input. Any help is much appreciated!
post #11 of 20 Old 11-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Me and a friend bought the 32" W3213 today at BB with prior knowledge of the ATI Xilleon chipset from the 480p/480i issue thread floating around over here.

So, once we got back and tried out our TV's with Super Smash Bros on gamecube with Component, no issues at all there while on 480i. The same goes for FFX, tested on both Composite and S-video ports.

I'm getting the feeling that the ghosting issue perhaps applies to a specific target of ATi Xilleon TV's, most likely the Olevia's.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-24-2006, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I agree with kaijura. It probably only applies to certain sets. I went ahead took a chance and bought the W3213, which I waited 10 hours for. So far SD has been doing fine.
HD is amazing. I watched Shrek 2 in HD on ABC and the detail was incredible. The colors jumped off the screen.

Although this is upgrading from my old 13" SD TV so almost any TV would have been better.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-24-2006, 10:35 PM

I too waited 6 hours for this flat panel last night. I currently have it hooked to a xbox 360 via component and a ps3 through hdmi. When i play regular dvd's on either of them, they are only put into 480p resolution, why is this? Also, when i tried the blue ray disc player on the ps3, it changed resolution to 1080i. To my knowledge 720p is better than 1080i, so why does it do that? What will be able to play regular dvd's in 720p resolution?
post #14 of 20 Old 11-25-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmncivic
What will be able to play regular dvd's in 720p resolution?
You need an up-converting DVD player for that. The Oppo OPDV971H (Google it) is considered one of the best inexpensive players for that. I have one hooked to my Westy LVM-32w6 and DVD's up-scaled to 720p look incredible.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-25-2006, 09:17 AM

Hello All:

I just jumped into the LCD foray by purchasing one of the Westinghouse 3213 from Best Buy during Black Friday. I am a complete newbie when it comes to this product line and no amount of research allowed me to feel comfortable that I was making the right decision.

I am already aware of the issues with standard def tv programming. I was most excited with the dvd viewing potential.

Since this is a flatsceen widescreen, why are movies still appearing in the letterbox formatting? I understand that the majority of movies state on the back "16:9 or 2:31:1" followed up with "enhanced for widescreen tvs". What exactly gets enhanced for widescreen tvs? I suppose I made the assumption that the letterbox would go away and the full viewable screen would be used.

I have a Toshiba SD5980 with HDMI that I purchased about a year ago although I do not have it currently connected to the the tv with the HDMI.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?
post #16 of 20 Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmncivic
What will be able to play regular dvd's in 720p resolution?
You could also buy the VGA cable for the Xbox 360 and it will upscale DVDs, unless you are using your VGA for PC.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-25-2006, 12:34 PM

is the hdmi input qualified for hdcp? I kinda figured that was a standard thing now, but asking just in case
post #18 of 20 Old 11-25-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolonghorn
Yeah I agree with kaijura. It probably only applies to certain sets. I went ahead took a chance and bought the W3213, which I waited 10 hours for. So far SD has been doing fine.
HD is amazing. I watched Shrek 2 in HD on ABC and the detail was incredible. The colors jumped off the screen.

Although this is upgrading from my old 13" SD TV so almost any TV would have been better.

Sorry you waited for 10 hours. I drove by 2 Best Buys at 3:30am Friday morning and passed them by for Sears. However my buddies at work wanted to go to BB at lunch and I drove. We asked the warehouse guy if they had any more W3213 he said 9, even though the customer service person said there were none. Grabbed one and enjoyed Shrek 2 as well on ABC last night.

This set however is a very basic LCD display.
Comments:
Aspect Ratio
No Zoom the set takes what comes in from source and displays it as such
(i.e S-Video Widescreen is 4:3, TV channels are shown as broadcast)
The fill (according to the menu desc) is implementing a 10% overscan

Color Temp:
Cool, Neutral Warm and User. User allows individual adj of RGB

No Channel Guide:
Pressing Guide only shows current channel and show.
A second press shows addtl info including signal strength, resolution, etc..

No horizontal,vertical or tilt adjustments

The firmware on this set is current (no firmware updates according to CSR)

Each input is able to be seperately adjusted.

A call to customer service about a problem will get you be told to take it to BB for a trade in or the option of shipping it to W for service

I called Westinghouse customer service because component1 and component2 on my set with Aspect Ration set to Standard are skewed to the left by about 1 to 1.5 in. I called and thought a service tech could walk me into the service menu for a quick fix or would come out, but I was stonewalled with the above. Have set both to Fill and it looks good. Any body have this issue or know how to get into the service menu yet? There is also a couple of lines bleeding on the top of the set depending on broadcast or input where vertical adjustment would be useful as well. I am debating returning it for another one, but thought I would post here for others to comment or add their experiences.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-25-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbehrman
Sorry you waited for 10 hours.
Yeah my friend who works at BB said someone picked one up after the early bird special, but at least I got the TV. It's ridiculous how early people start waiting now a days. What happened to Thanksgiving?

Also how do you lock a thread? I am going to redirect everyone to another thread: Link
to create just one W3213 thread.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
just got off the telephone with Westinghouse.

the W3213 is a one time run.

the closest thing to it now is the W6.... not sure of the complete model number.

this is according to Westinghouse.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page