MAG MA-32EF1AC 32-inch 1080i LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 312 Old 11-22-2006, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not found discussion about the MAG MA-32EF1AC 32-inch 1080i TV, so this thread can act as a place holder for information and comments about it.
I don't have it, but I am trying to learn more about it.

MAG manufacturer link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 312 Old 11-22-2006, 11:17 PM

Im thinking about getting one from Staples on BF. It looks pretty good by just looking at the spec.
post #3 of 312 Old 11-23-2006, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone know anything about these LCDs? Good? Bad? Ugly?
post #4 of 312 Old 11-23-2006, 07:30 PM

Looking at the QA portion on the mag website you provided leads me to belive it may be a subsidiary of Proview ....

You can order new or missing accessories by contacting Proview parts dept. at 1-877-532-8176 Ext. 3889 or email to parts@proview.xxx

Just a guess at this point though.
post #5 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 07:46 AM

Got one of these at Staples this morning and to my eyes it looks great. I don't have any highend gear to compare it to just a samsung 26inch CRT and a Samsung 17 LCD monitor. The image is softer than the 17 incher but text appears sharper than the 26inch CRT, via component from an XBOX 360 and pioneer DV-285 SD DVD player. I also hooked it up via VGA to my PC and was pleased with the way it looked, sharper than the image via component and very close the 17 Samsung LCD only MUCH larger. I don't have any HDMI devices so I can't try out that connection. For the price I paid I am very pleased and it was a nice upgrade from the 26 CRT.
post #6 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 01:01 PM

I also bought one. Not sure if I'm going to keep it though. Anybody had any use in high-def mode? I'm curious to see how it works.
post #7 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Anybody had any use in high-def mode?

I bought one this morning (one of the four the store had) got it home and hooked it up. The picture looks great to my eye. I hooked it up right in front of our 51" Sony, and I have to say the image looks great in HD. In my opinion this was a excellent deal for $499.99.
post #8 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 02:35 PM

We also bought the 32" MAG at Staples this morning, it was easy to hook up, lots of connections for peripherals. It looks great and you can't beat the price, clear picture, good sound, so far its impressive.
post #9 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed something interesting while viewing the MAG manual online for this LCD:

Check the view of the rear panel of the MAG in the manual and compare it to the back panel of the Visco that Walmart was selling:

MAG:
http://www.maginnovision.com/UserManual/MAG%20MA-32EF1AC%20(User%20Manual).pdf

Visco:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5359008 (last pic)

They are exactly the same.
post #10 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeDawg View Post

Looking at the QA portion on the mag website you provided leads me to belive it may be a subsidiary of Proview ....

You can order new or missing accessories by contacting Proview parts dept. at 1-877-532-8176 Ext. 3889 or email to parts@proview.xxx

Just a guess at this point though.

i got one this morning at staples and the rebate receipt lists proview as the manufacturer.
post #11 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Does this LCD have an adjustable backlight? (no reference to one in the manual...)
post #12 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It does not have adjustable back light that I could find.

It's made by Proton. I hooked it up. Tuner is very sensitive and picked up all my OTA HDTV (it has ATSC built in but not QAM--tuner for unscramble HDTV from analog cable). It has 2 separate RF input so you can switch between HDTV OTA and Analog Cable through the menu. The Air/Cable button does not work on my set so I have to switch the channels manually through the menu. HDTV is good but not great (compared to my Panny Plasma 37") SDTV is good enough. Sound from the tiny speakers is tiny (had to lower the treble to 0 (min.) and boost the bass to 100 (max.) for the sound to be tolerable. It has coaxial and optical digital output for HDTV. It has HDMI, VGA, and 2 component inputs. It has 1 Svideo/audio and 2 composite/audio inputs (one in rear and one on the side). DVD via composite is OK but not great. Needs to try HDMI and component. So far it's worth the sub $500 price (after easy rebate), but not much more IMHO. It's probably equivalent to the $600 generic sets from Wally World. It has 1 year parts and labor warranty. Remote is above average but not backlit.

HDTV/SDTV image is not as good as my 37" 1024X768 Panny Plasma which of course was much more expensive last year. The only thing superior about LCD over plasma is non-shiny screen. Plasma's contrast and colors just can't be beat. HDTV 1080i image has a smeary and nonsharp quality to it. 720p looks better which means it has a poor scaler builtin. This set screams for HTPC/external scaler IMHO.

I'm giving it to my mom for her kitchen as it does not meet my standards.

Huey ;-]
post #13 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 08:57 PM

I also bought one at Staples this morning. Picture is great but having trouble with the sound. My old 27in flat JVC sounds better. I have no bass,only treble. I changed bass to 100% and treble to 0% and no change to sound. I've tried changing sound effect and mts also. (sounds like its thru a tin can).
Is there something I'm missing or do I have a lemon?
I'm going to call the service center this week.
post #14 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post

HDTV/SDTV image is not as good as my 37" 1024X768 Panny Plasma which of course was much more expensive last year.

My wife laughed at this and said it was like comparing a point-and-shoot to her fancy Canon DSLR. :-)
post #15 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 09:02 PM

After further tweaking with Avia I have eliminated the softness, the trick seems to be finding the proper balance between brightness and contrast. When I have more time I am going to fine tune the RGB values. HDDVDs look amazing on this thing, XBOX 360 games as well.
post #16 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 10:41 PM

ChrisARN

Would you post your settings once you have it fine tuned?
post #17 of 312 Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisARN View Post

After further tweaking with Avia I have eliminated the softness, the trick seems to be finding the proper balance between brightness and contrast. When I have more time I am going to fine tune the RGB values. HDDVDs look amazing on this thing, XBOX 360 games as well.

for me as well please, the one i got from staples the picture got lots of softness, the color kinda smear all over the place, much worst than my 19" sony monitor that i use to watch tv on. i bought this lcd as an replacement but the color quality is pretty much bad. So far i only tested it with my basic cable tuner plug and one of those cheap dvd player that play multi-region disc, the picture quality are both the same as of smearing and too much softness. I really dont want to return this thing since i already spent half a day mounting it up plus the cost of the mounting thingy but i really can't stand the picture quality, any help would be much appreciate.
post #18 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 05:27 AM

I ordered mine online yesterday, so I do not have the Staples TV here.

But, why are the specs different?

What limited specs that Staples has listed for this TV, do not match up with the Specs listed at the Mag site. The models numbers are the same.

Staples: MA-32EF1AC
MAG: Model MA-32EF1AC

Staples: Speakers 10W + 10W
MAG: Sound Output 15 W / 2 Channels

Staples: Image Brightness 400 cd/mý
MAG: Brightness 500 cd/m2

Staples: Image Contrast Ratio 800:1
MAG: Conttast Ratio 1600:1

What is up with all the differences?
post #19 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 06:48 AM

Picture Mode: User

Contrast:50
Brightness: 54
Saturation: 46
Hue: -2
Sharpness: 1
Color Temp: User

RGB values (have not tweaked yet): R 132 G 126 B120

Those have worked for me, I am waiting to do more tweaking with the HDDVD version of DVE.
post #20 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 11:14 AM

I bought this yesterday at Staples also. I'm pretty disappointed with the picture, it seems pretty grainy or soft when I use it with my basic cable hook up. With my dvd player the picture is better but no where near stellar. Other than that everything seems to work properly. I've tweaked and tweaked with out being able to get the picture any better. Is there anything I can do to help remedy this?
post #21 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 12:06 PM

Same here. I finished setting it up and have the same problem. The HD channels look great, but the regular channels seem pixelated and blurry. The regular channels on my old 27" Sony CRT look a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotoneds10 View Post

I bought this yesterday at Staples also. I'm pretty disappointed with the picture, it seems pretty grainy or soft when I use it with my basic cable hook up. With my dvd player the picture is better but no where near stellar. Other than that everything seems to work properly. I've tweaked and tweaked with out being able to get the picture any better. Is there anything I can do to help remedy this?

post #22 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotoneds10 View Post

i did this last night when everyone else was sleeping! looks like the best way to do the video tuning is use a stb and feed the mag with a svideo wire off the stb. use an analog tv on the stb rf output. comparing the same image on both displays at the same time is the best way to tune this baby.
looks like the trick is in the color temp settings on the second menu. red needs to be increased over the default and a little more on blue then go back to the main settings and lower them. that should get you away from the "painted hair look".

ChrisARN's settings are a good start.

the two rf inputs on the back panel are weird. i needed a splitter in the cablecompany wire. one to tune the analog channels attached to the rf input labeled "TV CABLE" the other to tune the digital/hdtv channels off the rf input labeled "HDTV/AIR".

btw the list button on the remote only pulls up a few of the digital stations, then you have to scroll to see the rest. the digital tuner does qam on the rf input labeled "HDTV/AIR", picked up all my locals in digital, music only channels, discovery hd and the "on demand" channels. weird numbering system for the subchannels. the only station it missed was tnthd.

when using the vga connector, set the pc to the "native resolution" or closest setting to 1366x768.

-----------
post #23 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I often find that many are disappointed with the picture of non HD stations on a HD set. This has been a major problem for Costco and other retailers since many have returned the sets without setting them up correctly. I would try a calibration disk before returning the set. Most brands are set incorrectly at the factory to look very bright in the stores. People are often expecting wonders from non HD sources and blame it on their sets. I would expect that many regular sets would look better on non HD sources.
post #24 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the Element branded and the MAG branded 32-inch LCD TVs.

Externally, they look identical except for trim color, the Element is silver and the MAG is black, and slight profile difference in the stand. Both are labeled Model 3200. I have not had both powered up yet.

The MAG web site specs do not match the specs in the MAG manual.
MAG manual: MA-32EF1AC
MAG web site: Model MA-32EF1AC

MAG manual: Image Contrast Ratio 800:1
MAG web site: Contrast Ratio 1600:1

No definite conclusion. yet, but it looks like many of the 32-inch LCD TVs that had a sale price near the $500 mark yesterday were made by the same manufacturer except for the Olevia set.

Anyone have pointers to tests for contrast ratio, etc.?
post #25 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 02:00 PM

anyone have good settings for the sound...it sounds weird
post #26 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 02:42 PM

i also bought this TV set yesterday mainly for use with my Xbox 360
does anyone have good settings for using this tv with my 360?
post #27 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

To fix the tiny, squeaky sound get a set of nice amplified computer speakers and plug into the headphone set on the R side (or use an adapter to change the headphone plugs to R and L RCA plugs in the back). It sounds much better with a decent set of speakers (or route through the stereo using SPDIF or the 2 RCA plugs). If you don't want to mess with external speakers, I also found that setting the sound mode to "dance" has a more natural, normal sound over the squeaky sounds otherwise. They must have chosen the cheapest speakers for this set

I was mistaken saying it does not do qAM but it does. Like above, I had to buy a RF splitter to split the analog cable into 2 and then plugging both into the HDTV/air and TV/cable plugs to get both qAM HDTV via the cable signal (unscrambled local HDTV and digital music stations) and analog cable TV. Still to switch from HDTV mode vs. analog cable mode I had to hit "source" button and then change it to HDTV or regular TV. The antenna/cable button does nothing on my set (even though the manual said it should--does it on your set?). The PIP/SWAP buttons do nothing either (as written in the manual).

HDTV at 1080i looks kinda smeary and not sharp like my Panny 1024X768 plasma even though the resolution for this set is 1366X768. PC and upconverting DVD at native res and 720p (respectively) via DVI->HDMI or HDMI->HDMI looks better.

Overall, I was not happy with the set and gave it to my mom who uses it in the kitchen. It looks very elegant and my mom loves it (she is not very picky at PQ and more concern with how it looks when off ) It's worth the $500-600 range but not much more. This set is identical to the Visco 32" LCD at Wallyworld for $598 so $499 after Staples Easy Rebate it's a good deal, nevertheless. Not sure about the durability though.

For Xbox 360 use 720p via component or VGA and you'll love it.

Huey ;-]
post #28 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

I mentioned earlier that the Element 3202 and MAG MA-32EF1AC are very similar externally.

The Element 3202 purchased at Home Depot has a manufacture date of August, 2006.
The MAG MA-32EF1AC purchased ast Staples has a manufactured date of October, 2006.

I have placed them side by side and can say that they differ internally and operationally.

Differences
  1. The same values for contrast, brightness and color settings result in a different picture.

More later...
post #29 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 04:28 PM

i got this TV from staples and im just wondering ..how would i get free HD channels from my comcast box(not HD) if it has built in tuner in it?? i pretty much did everything what some of u guys said.. connect the cable(from my comcast box) to the splitter and connect each one to the RF inputs( HD AIR and the TV air)and i dont get anything when i do the channel search thing. id really appreciate it if u guys help me, thanks!
post #30 of 312 Old 11-25-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh15 View Post

i got this TV from staples and im just wondering ..how would i get free HD channels from my comcast box(not HD) if it has built in tuner in it?? i pretty much did everything what some of u guys said.. connect the cable(from my comcast box) to the splitter and connect each one to the RF inputs( HD AIR and the TV air)and i dont get anything when i do the channel search thing. id really appreciate it if u guys help me, thanks!

wait, connect the cable from the wall, not from the cable box. you don't need the cable box to tune the channels when using the two rf inputs.

-----------
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page