OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I got mine [EDIT] today. So far everything has been perfect. I have my PS3 hooked up to it through an hdmi cable I got at Radioshack.

I haven't adjusted the picture to its full potential, but it still looks good. I plan on adjusting it once I get my avia guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfan View Post

Just got mine hooked up. I bought it from kmart with the 2 yr warranty for $39.99. The picture looks really good in hd and is acceptable in sd through my directv hr20.
I had bought a Westinghouse on black friday that I ended up returning b/c the sd picture was not acceptable. For the price I paid on this tv, I am very happy. Now I just need directv to come out with more hd channels.

Cool. I went back down to Circuit City where I bought it last week and got $47 back after price matching k-mart.

Even better, the CC price is no longer the sale price, meaning there is a huge difference between K-mart and CC. So if you get CC to do its 110% price match you'll be plenty under the K-mart price, $40 under that is.
post #363 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

Cool. I went back down to Circuit City where I bought it last week and got $47 back after price matching k-mart.

Even better, the CC price is no longer the sale price, meaning there is a huge difference between K-mart and CC. So if you get CC to do its 110% price match you'll be plenty under the K-mart price, $40 under that is.

I tried getting CC to price match, but didn't have any luck even though they said they would over the phone and the first sales rep I talked to said it wouldn't be a problem. It turns out management has final say and the said "no".

[EDIT], I am definately not disappointed.
post #364 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Just picked up one today. When I plugged my computer via VGA it is in 640x480 resolution and have no options in the computer to change. I just upgraded to the new monitor from an Olevia LT-27 and it had no problems with resolution settings with this computer. Any thoughts or anyone else have this problem?
post #365 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM

I just picked this TV up today from the KMART deal.

I am using Comcast digital cable through a regular coaxial line hooked up to the TV. I did the automatic channel scan and picked up around 300 Digital and 75 analog channels.

When I am on a 480i channel, the picture is very small and shrunk down on the display.

720P is also shrunk, and does not fill the screen completely.

1080i fills the screen completely.

How can I get all of the channels to completely utilize the real-estate of my LCD?

What settings do I need to adjust?

480i

720p

(Why do people's faces look "Cell Shaded?"

1080i
post #366 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Also, the full screen of the news at 1080i on channel 5 changed to a compressed image when CSI came on shortly after.

I hit display on the remote and it says CSI is playing at 1080i yet it does not fill the screen.

Also, there is a blurred and scrambled band/line across the entire top of the picture.

What am I doing wrong?
post #367 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 10:14 PM

I have the Olevia 527V on order from Target for the same price.

The only difference I see between this model and the 232V that is on sale this week at KMart is the size (and of course, the 2 series is an older model).

I am so torn on what to do. Do I cancel the Target order for the 527V (27" HD LCD) and try the 232V (32" HD LCD) from KMart for the same exact price? Or do I stick with the 527V that will ship the first week of April? Again, both TVs are $499.99.

This will be my first HD TV, and it will be in my bedroom. I'll be using it with a Comcast Digital Cable box and an upscaling DVD player.

Gah I'm not sure what to do! Any suggestions?

I see the 232V has a lot of issues judging by this thread, but I cannot seem to find anything on this forum discussing the 527V.

I'm new here, but is there no "search" function? I can't seem to find one and I don't want to spend the time sifting through every single page.

So, does ANYONE have experience with the 527V model?

Thanks in advance!
post #368 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfoxer View Post

Also, the full screen of the news at 1080i on channel 5 changed to a compressed image when CSI came on shortly after.

I hit display on the remote and it says CSI is playing at 1080i yet it does not fill the screen.

Also, there is a blurred and scrambled band/line across the entire top of the picture.

What am I doing wrong?

Seems like you have the display set to 1:1 mode, where it keeps images their original sizes. So regular tv is 480i, deinterlaced that's 640*480, so the tv uses exactly that in the middle of the screen. Same with 720p, which is 1280*720, but the tv is 1366*768, so 1:1 will leave blank space around a 720p image.

Just flip through the modes with the "Aspect" button on the remote. If you set it to Aspect, that will tell the tv to make it big as it can without distorting or cut anything off. Or you can choose "Zoom 1" to zoom a widescreen 480i show to be fill the screen.

On the faces, might need to calibrate the tv, could be the channel or the show. Like I find some stations the faces get blurry when in motion, then the detail comes back when they stop. And SD looks bad anyway.
post #369 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian122 View Post

I have the Olevia 527V on order from Target for the same price.

The only difference I see between this model and the 232V that is on sale this week at KMart is the size (and of course, the 2 series is an older model).

I am so torn on what to do. Do I cancel the Target order for the 527V (27" HD LCD) and try the 232V (32" HD LCD) from KMart for the same exact price? Or do I stick with the 527V that will ship the first week of April? Again, both TVs are $499.99.

This will be my first HD TV, and it will be in my bedroom. I'll be using it with a Comcast Digital Cable box and an upscaling DVD player.

Gah I'm not sure what to do! Any suggestions?

I see the 232V has a lot of issues judging by this thread, but I cannot seem to find anything on this forum discussing the 527V.

I'm new here, but is there no "search" function? I can't seem to find one and I don't want to spend the time sifting through every single page.

So, does ANYONE have experience with the 527V model?

Thanks in advance!

You can search areas you want, such as just the LCD display area, or only search a specific thread. Like when looking on this page, scroll to the top until you see the page navigation with page 13 of 13 and options to select other pages. Right under that is a "Search this thread." Similar option while in the LCD forum area, and an entire site search in the main menu that has the log-out link.
post #370 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfan View Post

I tried getting CC to price match, but didn't have any luck even though they said they would over the phone and the first sales rep I talked to said it wouldn't be a problem. It turns out management has final say and the said "no".

Even at $499 from kmart, I am definately not disappointed.

How can they just deny you that? Here's exactly what's on their site for local stores:

" Circuit City is proud to offer the best prices on consumer electronics. Period. Buy a product from us and if, within 30 days of your purchase, you find a local competitor offering a lower advertised price for the same in-stock item, we'll refund 110% of the difference. If you haven't yet purchased the product, we'll beat the competitor's price by 10% of the difference between our price and theirs. Either way, you win."
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener...+Guarantee&c=1

So you don't even have to have bought the product yet. And there was no note or warning this can be denied for any reason except it's not for online purchases. So how can they refuse their own policy that they say is a win for you? It's like saying to your face that you lose.
post #371 of 1473 Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

You can search areas you want, such as just the LCD display area, or only search a specific thread. Like when looking on this page, scroll to the top until you see the page navigation with page 13 of 13 and options to select other pages. Right under that is a "Search this thread." Similar option while in the LCD forum area, and an entire site search in the main menu that has the log-out link.

Thank you! I think the problem was that when I wasn't logged in or registered, that function didn't show up. Or else I just completely overlooked it the first time LOL? Anyway, thank you for the help!
post #372 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 AM

i just pick up one from kmart today.
but i think mine is broken,
all the SD channel works fine on 480i,
but the HD chaneel, it plays like a broken vcd.. (slow motion, distortion with whole screen, and some green lines..)
should i get an exchange? or there's someway to fix this problem?
post #373 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Could the people who bought the set from KMart yesterday please post the
manufacture date for this set. It should be on the back. Regarding the above post you might have a video signal issue. I also don't think the 232 is an old model but it is a model made for certain stores to be sold at lower prices.
That is the reason why I would love to see the date of manufacture of the ones sold at KMart posted.

I would also like to give some information for those who are new to HD.
Several of the above posts are discussing or complaing about the size of the picture on different stations and shows.

1. It must be realized that all programs are not broadcast in the same ratio on
HD. It could be 4x3 standard size, 16x9 the full size of the set or one might
see other sizes for the picture depending on what is being sent out.
2. You can stretch the picture to make everything fit, but I do not recommend it.
By stretching the picture you are distorting the picture. I would learn to live
with the black lines when the picture is broadcast that way. You will get a
more accurate picture. There is nothing wrong with you set if these changes
take place.
3. If you are interested in getting the best picture possible get a calibration disk
such as AVE or DVE or use the THX setup on many disks including Nemo.
Most sets come from the factory incorrectly set up. Change to the user
mode and use one of the above disks. DVE and AVE are the best but for
a quick check try the THX setup on many disks or try the Monster calibration
disk. The later two are much easier to use for those new to calibration.

4. If you are using the set with a DVD player use component or HDMI input and
make sure the DVD player is set for 16x9 and progressive scan output.
post #374 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 04:13 PM

Per my previous post, has anyone done any semi-professional type calibration on the TV? If so, what are your settings?
post #375 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Hello, new to the forum. Thanks for the valuable info.

Have had the lt26hvx for a while and bought the kmart 232 this weekend. Setup went fine and a picture equal to the 26.

Question is: I use directtv and am trying to program the dtv remote to accept the tv settings. I do not have the Olevia brand listed in the available options for remote code programing. Does anyone know the Olevia code used to program a universal remote?

One other comment: the kmart extended warranty is $39 for 24 months, the card with the tv shows $149. Any comments on this based on actual use of either the kmart or factory ew?

RP
post #376 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Could the people who just bought the TV from Kmart please post manufacture date and firmware number.
post #377 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdprice View Post

Hello, new to the forum. Thanks for the valuable info.

Have had the lt26hvx for a while and bought the kmart 232 this weekend. Setup went fine and a picture equal to the 26.

Question is: I use directtv and am trying to program the dtv remote to accept the tv settings. I do not have the Olevia brand listed in the available options for remote code programing. Does anyone know the Olevia code used to program a universal remote?

One other comment: the kmart extended warranty is $39 for 24 months, the card with the tv shows $149. Any comments on this based on actual use of either the kmart or factory ew?

RP

I'd also be interested in finding a remote code that works for this tv. So far, that is the only thing that I don't like about it. Other than the remote, this tv has definately exceeded my expectations. I am very impressed with the sd picture quality.
post #378 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Could the people who just bought the TV from Kmart please post manufacture date and firmware number.

Where do we find this information?
post #379 of 1473 Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where do we find this information?

Under menu, then setup, there is a firmware version option. Manufacture date, probably somewhere on the back of the tv with the serial number and other information, if it's even there.
post #380 of 1473 Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 AM

Liked: 11
Sup! New guy here and after reading most of these posts I'm afraid I'll find problems hopefully I won't. I just brought this TV today from Kmart and so far I've got two issues with it. One the speakers are too quiet when playing games. Whenever there's a sudden loud sound the speakers drop. It's only with my games because regular TV viewing it's fine. Two I still can't find codes to program my cable box and DVDR remotes to. I'll have to get the date up later.

It's all over!
post #381 of 1473 Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is unhappy with the speakers I would suggest getting a pair of computer speakers with a small subwoffer. They are often on sale for about $20. This will solve any sound problems one might have. I often recommend them with other sets. Did you try the search method for the cable box?

Could someone post the firmware number and date of manufacture of the new sets. Is anyone having issues with the green screen and other issues that the early versions of this set had?
post #382 of 1473 Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 AM

[quote=Fatal Wave]I've got two issues with it. One the speakers are too quiet when playing games. Whenever there's a sudden loud sound the speakers drop. It's only with my games because regular TV viewing it's fine.QUOTE]

I've notice the sound level rising then lowering while playing my Xbox 360 too!
I just hooked up a cheap set of cube/sat PC speakers like the above poster mentions and problem solved! Plus way better sound then the built in speakers.

This really is a great LCD and heck of a value for the money.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" - Neal Peart, Rush
post #383 of 1473 Old 03-13-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Could someone take the time to post the firmware numbers and date of manufacture on the sets sold by Kmart. Could those who just bought the sets let us know if the problems of the green tint using component have been resolved and If the problems with the ATI chip have been resolved.
post #384 of 1473 Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Purchased Sunday at Kmart.

Firmware: Verson (A33-5-3.A19.A10.A01.A21)
227 232

Not sure on when it was manufactured.
post #385 of 1473 Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Purchased Sunday at Kmart.

Firmware: Verson (A33-5-3.A19.A10.A01.A21)
227 232

Not sure on when it was manufactured.

Mine says the same. I can't find a date either.

It's all over!
post #386 of 1473 Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
A33-5.19.A10.A01.A21 No date.

I'm also curious to see what settings people who calibrated their sets have. I'm not very good at it.

post #387 of 1473 Old 03-14-2007, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

A friend of mine just got the set and I will try to do basic calibration for him. I do have the disks. I will post the numbers early next week. I can't do it until over the weekend. the Movie Nemo, there is a very basic THX calibration in the setup menu. You might want to try this. The first thing I would do is to take it off Vivid and put it on user mode. Most sets are setup to look very bright in the stores. Thanks for posting the firmware numbers. I will try to search for information about them.
post #388 of 1473 Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems that the sets purchased from KMart must have been manufactured recently.

The firmware A33-5-3 seems quite new. The previous firmware A33-5-2 was released in
Nov 2006 and this one seems newer than that version. If you put in your SN you will get a message that the firmware is up to date. This is probably good news and one would hope that they fixed the Green Tint and other issues mentioned in the early part of the thread.
post #389 of 1473 Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 AM

The one I picked up at Circuit City just over a month ago (too long ago to price match ) shows no green tint with any inputs (OK, I haven't tried svideo yet, but I've used everything else).
post #390 of 1473 Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem with Green Tint was on component only.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page