Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 1474 Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Wave View Post

Flick the switch in back. If you guys think the light is annoying you should buy an Ionic Pro. Most annoying blue light ever.

i have one of those ionic things. the blue light doesn't bother me. maybe it would if i had it right next to me, but it's a few feet away at the bottom of the bed

XBL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1474 Old 03-19-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You should not have to do a channel search each time when you switch back and forth. I doubt that it is really worth it to get an antenna. The only way to get more HD channels is to pay cable or get a Dish. I would expect to see more HD channels in the future. My cable company has added several in the past two weeks.
post #423 of 1474 Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If you guys think the Blue light is an issue get some small piece of tape and cover it up. If you need extra HDMI inputs why not consider one of the Monoprice switches. They work great with most sources and this set. Regarding the red push. I would be sure that you have the display settings set for home and that you are using 6500K. I have tried DVE, Get Grey and the THX disk using the blue glasses and I had to increase the color by 4 notches.

I checked the grey scale after doing this and the color settings on DVE and THX and I do not get any red push.

Maybe I should recalibrate using the 6500k setting. I had switched from 6500k when I first got it because that color temp looked terrible, but I guess it just takes some calibration to make it look good. Like I said though, I don't have blue glasses or anything to mess with those types of settings so I don't know how good I can get it to look.
post #424 of 1474 Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM

what does everyone think about setting the color temp to 6500? i'm hearing different things about it and when i switch to it it looks washed out, but that could be because it's calibrated for the native color temp. i don't really want to go through the trouble of recalibrating it if 6500 will still look washed out.

also, i used an avia dvd to calibrate it and it told me to put color as low as it could go when doing a different test, and then when i got to the color test i forgot what it was set at to begin with, and i don't have the blue glasses to adjust color and tint. anyone know a good setting for color and tint?
post #425 of 1474 Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM

paulr24,

rwestley answered this a few posts back. I'm going to go home and try the settings tonight.

If anyone else calibrated the set, do you agree with rwestley?

And rwestley, do you find that the contrast and brightness you chose is good for all light situations, or do you bump up to medium or bright sometimes. If you do, do the whites become hard on the eyes, or is it ok, with just some black level loss?
post #426 of 1474 Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM

Liked: 11
Are all the HD channels supposed to be 4:3? I tried messing with the ratio settings and everything is still at 4:3. Only zoom fills the entire screen which takes off the edges of the picture.

It's all over!
post #427 of 1474 Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Are all the HD channels supposed to be 4:3? I tried messing with the ratio settings and everything is still at 4:3. Only zoom fills the entire screen which takes off the edges of the picture.

If a particular channel isn't broadcasting in HD (using HD camera's), or if you are watching an old show on an HD channel, it will usually display in enhanced definition (480p) which basically looks a little bit better than a normal cable channel. I'm guessing this is what you are experiencing. Try watching some newly airing prime time TV shows like Lost or Conan O'Brien (although some newer shows still haven't made the jump to HD yet) or something and it should display in 16x9 HD. If this doesn't work, maybe you just aren't receiving any HD channels?
post #428 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 01:09 AM

Hey can you get full screen on the ps2 and Wii on 232V The ps2 all the games do not fill up the entire screen, there are little black bars on all four sides though I don't have any component cables. On the wii Zelda,Wii play and Wii sports take up the entire screen but for some reason Red Steel,Raymen and Vitural Console does not fill up the entire screen but I am running on component cables.

Is there way I can get these games to fill up the entire screen? or is it something to do with game which causes the games not to be displayed full screen?
post #429 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Below are the results that I got when I tried to calibrate this set using DVE and The Get Grey Disk. I also checkd quickly with the THX disk and the Monster test disk.

Setting 6500 & Dark Room & Home

I first set the Temp to 6500. I feel that the other setting was not accurate.

Contrast +4-5 steps on remote

Brightness -4 steps on remote

Color + 4 or 5 steps on remote.

Leave Tint at factory setting (I tried other settings and the factory setting is best)

I have found that these results work for most light situations. You might want to increase the color slightly less. I have it set at + 4 steps. I found that the color was way off when I first tried the 6500 setting and I used these settings with the blue filter on the several disks I used. It must be remembered that I used the HDMI connections with an Oppo 970 player.
The player is using the latest firmware and the color output is correct. If you are using a different player or different inputs the results will be different. You might want to try these settings as a starting point. Let use know how these work for
you.

I also found that the factory settings are very bad for this set. Brightness is much too high and contrast needs to be increased. Color was was off using the 6500 setting.

Regarding sharpness. I have found that with this set you might want to increase the sharpness depending on the quality of your signal slightly. The opposite is true with most other sets. I did the sharpness test using DVE and the the Get Grey disk.

Even if you calibrate a set you will often notice differences between channels and stations. I just saw a life news conference on two different stations and the picure was quite different. One was much too red and the other was correct.

Don't drive yourself crazy. Calibrate your set for the best possible picture and enjoy it.
post #430 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 AM

Hey, im looking to buy a vga cable for my 232v, does it accept male/male or female/male?

Want better sound with your new Samsung 46A550? See my sound calibration post:

post #431 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meederman View Post

Hey can you get full screen on the ps2 and Wii on 232V The ps2 all the games do not fill up the entire screen, there are little black bars on all four sides though I don't have any component cables. On the wii Zelda,Wii play and Wii sports take up the entire screen but for some reason Red Steel,Raymen and Vitural Console does not fill up the entire screen but I am running on component cables.

Is there way I can get these games to fill up the entire screen? or is it something to do with game which causes the games not to be displayed full screen?

On the input for the PS2, make sure you are not on 1:1 aspect setting. That tells the sceen to use one of it's pixels for every pixel of the source you give it. So PS2 deinterlaced is 640*480, it would use exactly that in the center of the screen, leaving the rest of your 1366*768 screen blank. Just grab the remote and hit the Aspect button while on the PS2 input until you see the screen say Aspect. This will tell the tv to make the image as large as it can without stretching it. So you will fill the screen from top to bottom, but the sides will have bars since PS2 games are not widescreen. Sure you can use the aspect option Fill, but that totally distorts your screen.

Not sure about the Wii. The Wii, even when set to widescreen 16:9 still only outputs a 640*480 picture with the widescreen image squized into it, leaving it up to you to use the Fill aspect option to stretch the 640*480 out to make it look correct. Sounds like you have that setup right if you are playing Zelda widescreen. Like when you launch the game and it gives you that calibration screen, are the square it shows you square?

The other WII games, do they support widescreen? Obviously moust virtual console games were made at 4:3, before widescreen 16:9, so those should never fill the screen, only top to bottom, but bars on the side, unless you horribly want to distort it.
post #432 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What do you mean by all HD channels? Things like Discovery HD, or are you talking about digital local stations like Fox, ABC, NBC and CBS, which those stations have HD shows, but most the time they are still SD 4:3 until something like 24 comes on during it's monday timeslot.

HD shows are always in 16:9, they even crop HD movies to fit that. When you get to one of those stations it should be automatic. You'd only have options like 1:1, Fill, and Aspect, which should all still be widescreen, filling up most the screen or slightly not, no where near 4:3.
post #433 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Some TV channels are 16x9 other broadcast some shows in 4x3. You should set the aspect button so that you will see the shows as broadcasts. HD shows are not, I repead are not always broadcast in 16x9 often they will broadcast some HD shows in 4x3. Letterman and Leno just switched to 16x9. I do not like to stretch the picture on 4x3 shows to fill the whole screen. It only distorts the picture when one does this. The Discovery HD, In HD and PBSHD broadcasts nearly all their shows in 16x9. ABC, CBS & NBC & Fox broadcast some HD shows in 16x9 and other in 4x3. Most commercials are still in 4x3 but things are changing.
post #434 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr24 View Post

what does everyone think about setting the color temp to 6500? i'm hearing different things about it and when i switch to it it looks washed out, but that could be because it's calibrated for the native color temp. i don't really want to go through the trouble of recalibrating it if 6500 will still look washed out.

We've had ours for a couple weeks, it's mounted on the wall with a $90 Costco articulating mount. Hooked to small bow-tie antenna and a upsampling Sony DVD player (HDMI). Changed cord out for a very light grey one so it's not so noticeable dropping down the back of the wall along with the other cables that are completely white (white walls). Works great. Got it at CC for $600.

I set ours to 6500C which seemed a reasonable color temperature. The native setting looked more like "showroom" settings do (which this set has as well) where things are oversaturated. If one loves velvia slide film (yeah, that old stuff) then the native looks good. To me, the 6500 looked more realistic (I like Kodachrome). That said I haven't run through calibration yet.

A couple comments from other threads while I'm at it (my first post):

1. The mount on the back is a standard VESA 100x200 one (TV Mfgr's mount for the set says that their mount fits all TV's with that VESA mount -- that was the hint). And google'ing for that mount confirms (with observation) that it's that mount (except the 232V doesn't use the middle screws of the possible six).

2. Bottom stand comes off, but it's a bear to get the screws out (used magnets on the screwdriver).

3. We have the set as a bedroom TV. Across from the bed up moderately high. Put a piece of black tape over the blue beacon light that lit the room at night. May replace it with a black sharpie or black nail polish instead later when TV's older.

4. Remote is the weak point. We've some learning remotes somewhere I just wonder if it's the remote that's so slow or is it the TV's response that's slow?
post #435 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 PM

I think I finally have this color temp stuff figured out . Now that I've tried the color temp of 6500 I do think it looks more natural than native, especially when I tried playing MLB 2K7 on the 360. The grass and dirt didn't look right on native, and looked way more natural on 6500. I think I initially just got used to watching it on the native setting, and preferred it over 6500 just because it was the first setting that I had seen. It also initially turned me off because I switched from native to 6500 during a scene with a lot of white in it, and what was bright white on native turned to yellowish white on 6500. I guess that's a minor drawback, but seeing the colors in MLB 2K7 made it a pretty easy decision to stick with 6500.
post #436 of 1474 Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the info.

It's all over!
post #437 of 1474 Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

It is always bad to compare the sets in a showroom. The lighting conditions are often bad
That is the reason why the manufactures try to make their sets look very bright is that the sets are often compared and the perception of brighness and vivid color often looks better to the average consumer.

The 6500 setting is off on this set. You must increase the contrast as I suggested in a earlier post or the whites will be yellow and incorrect. Try the settings I posted and make your own adjustments using the 6500 setting. You can get great whites with a few adjustments.
post #438 of 1474 Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 AM

I have the 232V model and am wondering about the hissing noise out of the speakers, I have it and wonder if it is normal or worth returning for if I don't have the green tint problem.
post #439 of 1474 Old 03-23-2007, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

You could always turn town the treble slightly and see if that helps. If that does not work check to see if you have the issue on all stations. There could be something wrong with the set.
post #440 of 1474 Old 03-23-2007, 06:00 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Would connecting an HTPC at 1360x768 through the VGA port be an adequate method of detecting whether or not my set suffers from the "green" shift? Or will I need to specifically connect something to the actual component input? They list the VGA port as the "second component" input. I ask because I currently do not have a STB or cable box to output something greater than 480i to component.

I just bought a refurb as a bedroom set, and I must say that I'm quite satisfied (minus the remote ). I don't have much experience with LCD units, so I wasn't sure what to expect as far as black level, but it's really not that bad. I'll run my spyder to get a good reading of grayscale and color decoder, but in my eyes there are no obvious shifts or oddities.

This is a GREAT buy!

Thanks for the help,
CFC

Signature goes here
post #441 of 1474 Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems that the green shift issue was caused by a board problem only using the component inputs. The newer sets seem ok since no one has reported the problem with the sets sold in the last month or so. CFC, you might want to check the firmware and update it if necessary. Hope you can post your settings with the spyder. I think this set is a very good buy.
post #442 of 1474 Old 03-23-2007, 07:05 PM

I have turned down the sound and it seems to go away, but when I change to different components it still sounds crackly. Does anyon else have the same problem? I know the speakers are bad so is it worth sending back at $80 or so? I guess it really doesn't bother me
post #443 of 1474 Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 PM

Hi, I purchased the Panasonic 32" and also have the hissing sound. I was curious if anyone addressed that problem. I have also purchased the samsung 32 but have not hooked it up yet.The panny is the worst when the DVR is on pause and also on the HD stations on my comcast cable, as I have to turn the volume up when changing from the regular channels to the HD. Please let me know if you had any help. Thanks
post #444 of 1474 Old 03-24-2007, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

You can spend much less than $80 for decent computer speakers with a small subwoffer.
Logitech or Altec often have good ones on sale for much much less. You could always get an inexpensive home theatre system.
post #445 of 1474 Old 03-24-2007, 07:59 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
What is the method to access the service menu on the 232V ?

Thanks,
CFC

Signature goes here
post #446 of 1474 Old 03-25-2007, 01:40 PM

Can people check and let me know if you have the hissing in the sound, you have to go up close to the speakers? Also would the green tint show up on an Xbox 260 in 1080i?
post #447 of 1474 Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what the latest firmware is for this unit. They list a new firmware if you register to download but it seems that it is older than the one that I have since the numbers on the one I have end in 21 and the one listed on the site ends in 19.
post #448 of 1474 Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 PM

It seems that the firmware 21 is the latest update, also does anyone else have the hissing sound ?
post #449 of 1474 Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 AM

Hello,

On Friday I purchased the Olevia 232v on sale at CC. The price this moring is $200 more then what I paid.

This is my first HDTV.

The picture looked great right out of the box. I have noticed that once in a while, there's like a crack sound from the speakers. It's not enough to return, but an observation. The menu "sucks". I've never, ever had such an issue with a menu in my 58 yrs of existance as with this one. Very difficult to navigate. Not user friendly to say the least.

Also, I down loaded the firmware from Olevia's web site unto a USB. The firmware is not updating when place in the tv slot.

I did follow the directions: format USB, download file, place USB in slot, turn TV "on". Problem begins here, I don't see a blue line at the bottom left on the screen. The only blue I see is "No Signal Found" with a blue rectangular around it.

Any idea of what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks to all........
post #450 of 1474 Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM

The firmware might already be updated already. Mine is when I bought it. Other then that I have no clue. Where did you get the tv?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page