OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1474 Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a difference between the 232V and 432V?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1474 Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergywan View Post

The firmware might already be updated already. Mine is when I bought it. Other then that I have no clue. Where did you get the tv?

Purchased TV at Circuit City in Braintree, MA
post #453 of 1474 Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Rich, what firmware do you have on your set. I think that Olevia has not updated the firmware on their site. If your firmware is newer than the one on their site the set will not update
post #454 of 1474 Old 03-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Rich, what firmware do you have on your set. I think that Olevia has not updated the firmware on their site. If your firmware is newer than the one on their site the set will not update

Not sure but I'll check it out this evening.

Thanks
post #455 of 1474 Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM

Please peope, check my other posts and let me know about the sound thing and 432V.
post #456 of 1474 Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 PM

I am an AV noob, so please forgive the ignorance.

I took the plunge and bought a 432v after sifting through these forums and price shopping. I currently only have a VGA connection going to my laptop's dock, -haven't even got the TV side up yet.

The problem I am having is that I cannot set any resolution higher than 1024 x 768 without getting an "invalid format" error. I was worried that 1366 x 768 would be too low a resolution, but I can't even get a look to see if that is the case.

Any ideas?
post #457 of 1474 Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Please peope, check my other posts and let me know about the sound thing and 432V.

As I early stated, this is my first HDTV connected to a HDMI cable via Motorola Comcast Cable Box.

The sound is acceptable for my use, the bedroom. This is not a room where I need 5.1 surround sound.

I do hear some kind of "pop" coming from the speakers every once in a while. I spoke to Olevia tech support (which I may add was very good & spoke english). He stated that with HDMI connections this is normal. I have nothing to compare it to.

I paid less then $600 & didn't expect the same sound as I would coming from a Bose system. All in all I am very satisfied with this TV.
post #458 of 1474 Old 03-29-2007, 03:38 PM

I have a 26inch olevia that I love. Bought the 32 (not because of any recom on this site, found this sight after purchase) based on my experience with the 26.

My issue of concern is the white 45 degree snow lines that show up all the time, but especially noticeable on dark backgounds. The lines are about 1inch apart. I live in an apartment that provides cable (for my local channels) and directtv. Lines show up on both.

Any help?
RP
Birmingham
post #459 of 1474 Old 03-29-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like you are experience some kind of ground connection issue. I would try another electrical outlet for your set.
post #460 of 1474 Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 PM

Liked: 11
My mom just brought the 437v last night and it makes my 32 look so small. Anyway is it normal for the 232v to have lighter edges then the rest of the screen? http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3843/outbt4.jpg

It's all over!
post #461 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 09:20 AM

Hey does the new xbox 360 elite upscale dvd's? and I am trying to do 6500 on my television but it yellowish white is there a way to get a good picture with it?
post #462 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meederman View Post

Hey does the new xbox 360 elite upscale dvd's? and I am trying to do 6500 on my television but it yellowish white is there a way to get a good picture with it?

Well, all 360s upscale DVDs over vga, I guess now the Elite will be able to do it with vga and hdmi.

Not sure about calibration
post #463 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I picked up this TV when Kmart was having the sale, 232v, and I love the tv as a second hdtv for the home, its cheap and works for what I need, the only issue is I can't get the damn thing to work with my Logitech Harmoney 670.

Is there anyone out there using this tv with any of the logitech harmony remotes? and not having issues?

Basically the tv will ONLY respond every few button pushes, like I have a macro set on the harmoney to watch tv, which will turn my comcast dvr on, turn the tv on, and set it to hdmi input, cable box comes on fine but the tv won't respond to any of the commands.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
- Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #464 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

I picked up this TV when Kmart was having the sale, 232v, and I love the tv as a second hdtv for the home, its cheap and works for what I need, the only issue is I can't get the damn thing to work with my Logitech Harmoney 670.

Is there anyone out there using this tv with any of the logitech harmony remotes? and not having issues?

Basically the tv will ONLY respond every few button pushes, like I have a macro set on the harmoney to watch tv, which will turn my comcast dvr on, turn the tv on, and set it to hdmi input, cable box comes on fine but the tv won't respond to any of the commands.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
- Josh

I believe there are no codes yet for the olevia 232v remote control. I'm using the Olevia for volume & on/off, The comcast remote for all other functions. Hopefully Olevia will have a code we'll be able to download to upgrade our tv.
post #465 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

well thats not what I am getting at, basically the logitech DOES work, but only some times. Like I'll have to hit hte volume up like 10 times before it'll go up one notch, or hit the power button several times before it'll shut off.

Things like that.

So its reading the codes from the logitech but not every button push.

Could a firmware update to the tv fix this?

- Josh

post #466 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:

So its reading the codes from the logitech but not every button push.

Could a firmware update to the tv fix this?

- Josh

Is it any worse than using the Olevia remote manually? In other words, with the Olevia remote you have to pause a couple or three seconds between button pushes. Does the pausing not work with the logitech (which I assume is a learning remote that you schooled using Olevia's remote)? If the slow response is the TV's "fault" and not the remote's then all remotes would have the same slowness issues.

I presume that a firmware update could theoretically fix it (if it's the TV) but it may run slow like it does because the controlling uP has 0.00001 MIPS of throughput or because the slowness is done on purpose for noise/debounce reasons. In which case it'll be how it is and that's it.

If you're doing automated macro sequences with the Logitech, perhaps if pauses can be incorporated, it might work.
post #467 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIch2putt View Post

I believe there are no codes yet for the olevia 232v remote control. I'm using the Olevia for volume & on/off, The comcast remote for all other functions. Hopefully Olevia will have a code we'll be able to download to upgrade our tv.

It's the comcast remote that will need to have an upgrade with a "Olevia" code. I don't think Olevia will change their TV's infrared signalling to that of Sony or someone else because that would make their own remote not work anymore. That'd really not make people happy. They probably made their own remote signalling as not to have to pay someone for permission to use theirs. Probably why each company is different for that matter (other than when things are being OEM'd and really made by some other company).
post #468 of 1474 Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemenewd View Post

Is it any worse than using the Olevia remote manually? In other words, with the Olevia remote you have to pause a couple or three seconds between button pushes. Does the pausing not work with the logitech (which I assume is a learning remote that you schooled using Olevia's remote)? If the slow response is the TV's "fault" and not the remote's then all remotes would have the same slowness issues.

I presume that a firmware update could theoretically fix it (if it's the TV) but it may run slow like it does because the controlling uP has 0.00001 MIPS of throughput or because the slowness is done on purpose for noise/debounce reasons. In which case it'll be how it is and that's it.

If you're doing automated macro sequences with the Logitech, perhaps if pauses can be incorporated, it might work.

No the remote that came with it works just fine, its just the logitech remote. I've tried adjusting the IR delays, manually programing the logitech from the olevia remote, and nothing seems to work.

and no the logitech isn't just a learning remote, its a programable remote via a usb cable from your pc in which you get the IR codes and all that from a online software package, I highly recomend one if you don't have one, makes life sooooo much easier, unless you have stupid issues like this.

So like I said i've adjsuted the delays (ie pauses) ect... nothing seems to work, yet the remote that came with the tv works just fine.

- Josh

post #469 of 1474 Old 04-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:

No the remote that came with it works just fine, its just the logitech remote. I've tried adjusting the IR delays, manually programing the logitech from the olevia remote, and nothing seems to work.

and no the logitech isn't just a learning remote, its a programable remote via a usb cable from your pc in which you get the IR codes and all that from a online software package, I highly recomend one if you don't have one, makes life sooooo much easier, unless you have stupid issues like this.

So like I said i've adjsuted the delays (ie pauses) ect... nothing seems to work, yet the remote that came with the tv works just fine.

- Josh

Taking a quick peek at Logitech's site, I'm impressed with their remote in theory, but their prices seem pretty "impressive" as well, with some of their models costing not that much less than the Olevia 232V TV! At least at "list price". :-)

I'm impressed that they'd have Olevia support already, brand's fairly new and probably not quite as mainstream as Sony, Panasonic, etc. On the other hand, you seem to be having that support not work! That's not so good!

Hopefully things will work eventually.

Which model of remote do you have? Some are much better priced than others.
post #470 of 1474 Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemenewd View Post

Taking a quick peek at Logitech's site, I'm impressed with their remote in theory, but their prices seem pretty "impressive" as well, with some of their models costing not that much less than the Olevia 232V TV! At least at "list price". :-)

well yea the 890 and 1000 are expensive, but you can get the 880 for $150 at many places online. and the 720, 670, 680, ect.... for well under $100.

If you don't have one I highly recommend one, makes life soooo much simpler.

if not a harmony, any remote that has programmable macro's.

Quote:

I'm impressed that they'd have Olevia support already, brand's fairly new and probably not quite as mainstream as Sony, Panasonic, etc. On the other hand, you seem to be having that support not work! That's not so good!

Hopefully things will work eventually.

Which model of remote do you have? Some are much better priced than others.

i've got the 670 that im trying to use on the olevia, and the 680 that I use with my media center pc, and the rest of my equipment in my basement with my projector setup.

I belive its the TV having the issues, as the remote sends out the commands its that the tv just doesn't respond to "every" command, I have to hit volume up like 6 - 10 times before the tv will go up one level, things like that. so the TV gets the commands just doesn't like how the harmony is sending them.

- Josh

post #471 of 1474 Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Get the Harmony 520 being sold at Walmart BJ's & others for less than $100. It works great with this set.
post #472 of 1474 Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

520? ishy, I hate the feel of the 520, it feels cheap and flimsy. I wonder why the 520 works and the 670 doesn't.

What equipment code did you use for when you set it up?

- Josh

post #473 of 1474 Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 AM

Does anyone notice on the 232V when they shut it down, does it make noises in the back?
post #474 of 1474 Old 04-05-2007, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I would give Harmony a call regarding the 670 to see if they have a few different codes. I used the automatic code from their website with the 520.
post #475 of 1474 Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Does anyone notice on the 232V when they shut it down, does it make noises in the back?

My moms 437v does, but my 232v doesn't.

It's all over!
post #476 of 1474 Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 PM

I recently purchased a 232V and have been happy with the image quality for the price. However, I cannot get either of my DVD players to work using component cables. Both players work on my other HDTV using component cables.

I've tried turning progressive scan on and off, setting screen size to 4x3 and 9x16, and configuring the TV for "interlaced DVD" and "progressive DVD". In all cases, I simply get an "Invalid Format" message at the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks
post #477 of 1474 Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I too was having issues, I then hooked up my modded xbox via component cables, the xbox was first putting out a 480i signal, then i swiched to 480p and both resulted in crappy jaggedy images.

So I then set the xbox to 720p output and everything is now 100% crystal clear. So my guess is that the tv doesn't like 480i or 480p images into the tv, my guess is the video scaling chip in the tv doesn't work so well on analog sd feeds.

- Josh

post #478 of 1474 Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

I run a PS2 and an Xbox 360 via the component port (through a switch box) on my 232v and there's no issues with either of them.

Games that support progressive scan on the PS2 run just fine and look good. Games that only support 480i are fine. (They look like crap image-wise compared to 480p, but they are displayed without any problems.)

The Xbox 360 is set at 720p and looks great.

My DVD player and DirecTV box are also running through the same component switch box and look great as well. The DVD player is 480p and the DirecTV is set at 720p.

I dunno.
post #479 of 1474 Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranthony View Post

I recently purchased a 232V and have been happy with the image quality for the price. However, I cannot get either of my DVD players to work using component cables. Both players work on my other HDTV using component cables.

My original DVD player was connected with the component cables and they worked fine. Before trying it, however, the instructions has one set the TV's mode to interlaced -- even if one selects a progressive output. Not sure if it matters for your problem. When I went to mount it on the wall permanently I also replaced that DVD player with an upscaling DVD player. Not so much for the upscaling that I assume the TV would do anyway (set player to 720p to "match" the TV's native resolution) but more for the HDMI interface so it's going digital all the way rather than digital->analog->digital. Looks magnificent (other than the lack of black blacks, need a Plasma for that).

If you didn't get it to work, maybe it's a bad set. Or something else in the menus. Fortunately the menus don't need to be accessed much after being setup the first time. They're kinda dorky and I think organized weird.
post #480 of 1474 Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:

fwiw- Mine doesn't.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page