Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I have had this set for a few months and for those are are just getting it I suggest that you calibrate it immediately. Get DVE or AVIA and make sure you get the set off the Store display setting and set the contrast and brightness and color using the disk. It will really improve things. If you don't have one of these disks do a quick calibration using the setup option from THX on the Nemo disk and other disks. I would also suggest using other speakers such as a set of inexpensive computer speakers. Be sure to turn off the internal speakers if you do this. I would also suggest that you use an upscailing DVD player. The Phillips is a good low price choice and Monoprice sells great low priced HDMI cables and switchers.

how do you turn off the store display setting? i don't see it anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 08:17 PM

I'm pretty happy with my purchase as far as the money is concerned.. However,
I need to know how to move forward with this issue..

I don't have a HD Cable box yet, so I just plugged the TV in and did a scan.
It detected the usual 75 analog and 200+ digital.

My HD Channels start around 84.1 the first of which is Discovery HD. It Comes in great, with an occasional glitch, the next is ESPN HD, a few more audio and video drops. Then it goes to TNT, pretty much unusable, bunch of glitches and audio drops, and it keeps getting worse from there through the rest of the HD channels NBC CBS ETC. (all these are in 1080i)

Is this a problem with the TV? Or is it the Cable Co (Charter)?

Another thing I noticed when scanning it scans all the Analog channels and all of them have full signal strength. Then the HD Channels, all the signals are missing one bar from the signal..

Anyone have similar problems?

How to troubleshoot further?

Thanks!
post #633 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterking View Post

Is this a problem with the TV?

It doesn't sound like it or all of them would be bad, but you could try to reset everything. Simply unplug the power cord FROM THE TV (not from the wall) and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Then plug it back in and try rescanning
post #634 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM

ok, so as many pages there are here in this thread, i imagine that someone has already asked this question. But since there are about 22 pages, i thought i'd ask again

I just got one of these lcds the other day and hooked it up to my dvd played via component cables. When i put it on full screen, it seemed like things were a litte stretched. Then I put it on the aspect setting, and it seemed like it was the corect size but there were about 3 inches on both left and right sides that were just black. The screen size shrunk from about 32" to 24". I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me which screen setting was the right one for veiwing widescreen dvd's.
Thanks
post #635 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsacdc View Post

I'm not sure if I use ATSC (idk what that is). I don't have cable. All I have is a RCA UHF/VHF antenna hooked up to the antenna port thing via coaxial cable. The nbc in my area is 10 and the nbc-hd is 10.1

ATSC = Off the AIR digital reception. So if your using an antenna, then your doing ATSC.

- Josh
post #636 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsacdc View Post

Things such as menu navigation sounds are dull as well. Any tips for making gun shot (in godfather wii) more deep instead of a snapping sound?

I was playing smash bros and the sound quality was lower than my projection, I turned down the treble and that seemed to help. Still better than the 323v speakers though. Also I didn't get any ghosting in 480i over composite.
post #637 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy85er View Post

ok, so as many pages there are here in this thread, i imagine that someone has already asked this question. But since there are about 22 pages, i thought i'd ask again

I just got one of these lcds the other day and hooked it up to my dvd played via component cables. When i put it on full screen, it seemed like things were a litte stretched. Then I put it on the aspect setting, and it seemed like it was the corect size but there were about 3 inches on both left and right sides that were just black. The screen size shrunk from about 32" to 24". I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me which screen setting was the right one for veiwing widescreen dvd's.
Thanks

You're sending out a 480p signal, the TV has to "upconvert" it to 720p (or close to it), thats why the images seem stretched out. Get an upconverting DVD player and it'll look better.
post #638 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprials View Post

I was playing smash bros and the sound quality was lower than my projection, I turned down the treble and that seemed to help. Still better than the 323v speakers though. Also I didn't get any ghosting in 480i over composite.

hmm, I actually turned the treble up to get better gun shot sounds in godfather for the wii. Idk what I'm doing though when I tune the tv. i dont even really know what treble does, but it seemed to help me
post #639 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

honestly though, what can you expect from LCD speakers? when you get flat panel tv's you don't buy then for good sounding speakers, you buy them for their size and wall mount ability and all that.

You want better audio, get a surround sound setup.

- Josh
post #640 of 1475 Old 05-28-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveskg View Post

Would a simple firmware upgrade take care of the green tint problem?

The green tint "problem" is a cable connection issue, not a problem with the tv. Search this forum and you'll see that time and time again.
I'm a computer tech and it's the same issue I've seen many times when called out for a discolored monitor. the cable is loose.

Also should let y'all know that I bought the 432v 3 weeks ago at Office Depot of all places, unadvertised in-store special (cheaper than they list on the web) so you might check there if you're looking for one...
post #641 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 10:32 AM

I got the OK to buy a HDTV for my in-laws.
They were at BJ's Wholesale Club and saw this model.

They want to buy something tonight. Can a few people confirm or deny the goodness of this TV?
post #642 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PengyTeK View Post

how do you turn off the store display setting? i don't see it anywhere.

It's in the menu setup. Both the quick setup guide and the manual cover this.
post #643 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepezident View Post

Can a few people confirm or deny the goodness of this TV?

They already have. Read the thread
post #644 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the OK to buy a HDTV for my in-laws.
They were at BJ's Wholesale Club and saw this model.

They want to buy something tonight. Can a few people confirm or deny the goodness of this TV?

for HDTV noobs, as well as users (like myself) who use this tv as a secondary tv its a great buy. The majority of TV ppl watch is still primarily SD, and this tv has a great SD PQ for being a cheap tv, which is why I love it.

Can't beat the price either.

- Josh
post #645 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 02:08 PM

just bought 232V at CC online (Sunday) and expecting it to arrive 5/31. I have a harmony XBOX360 remote to use with my SDTV, 360 and my 5.1 surround. With all the reviews on how unresponsive the remote is, it would be wonderful if i could just use my harmony to operate the TV. Will the harmony remote work with the olevia?
post #646 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm also looking at the 32" Visio VX32LHDTV.
Anyone know about this one?

I'm trying to read through the thread. Trying to cram all this research into a few hours at work.
post #647 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandk11 View Post

Will the harmony remote work with the olevia?

I think that depends on when you bought it (or if it's firmware upgradable). Several people have recently purchased the Harmony and yes, for them it worked great

Quote:

I'm also looking at the 32" Visio VX32LHDTV. Anyone know about this one?

From what I've seen here on the forum most people that have compared them prefered the Olveia for much better picture quality
post #648 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 02:52 PM

ok so has anyone upgraded the TV's firmware? it wont let me access it online.. im assuming there page is down cause there workng on it.
post #649 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 03:01 PM

if anyone has calibrated their 232Vwith AVIA dvd or any other calibration DVD. can you please post the settings. thanks
post #650 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvinevibez View Post

ok so has anyone upgraded the TV's firmware?

Before they went off line there wasn't a firmware update available. They are possibly doing that now, although one report is that Olveia has sold so many TV's that their sites server simply can't handle all of the demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho1 View Post

if anyone has calibrated their 232Vwith AVIA dvd or any other calibration DVD. can you please post the settings.

Someone elses settings won't help you. Olevia would have already done that if that was the case. you need to calibrate your set individually. Search for the buy.com/DVE HD thread to learn how to buy a calibration disc for 8.99
post #651 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 PM

HELP!

I have a problem with a new Syntax Olivia TV I just got (model 232v with QAM). I live in Frederick, MD and I have Comcast Cable. When I do a channel scan, I only get two channels (NBC & ABC on 1.1 & 1.3 respectively). However, on my other TV, I get all the locals , but here is the catch. There are two channels on 1.1, and two channels on 1.3... yet the olevia only reads them as one channel each... anyone know how to fix this problem?
post #652 of 1475 Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post

Whenever I have the sound on mute, changing to vga, hdmi, etc and/or volume 5 and below I notice a low hissing sound from the speakers. This is noticeable when I'm up close to the tv. Is this normal? I never really paid any attention to it until now because I use my z5450's for my ps3 & comp.

I just picked up this television set from Circuit City yesterday and have the same problem:

There is a constant hissing (SHHHHH) noise coming from the speaker. I can hear it underneath the audio from the television programs, but it is especially obvious when switching to a source for which there is no input connected. Although turning the volume down or muting will reduce the level of the noise, it is still there. The only way to get rid of it completely is to turn the speakers off.

I've read through all 22 pages of this thread, and no one else really addressed the issue. Is it normal? & if not, is there a way to fix it? Thanks.
post #653 of 1475 Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4y_7 View Post

There is a constant hissing (SHHHHH) noise coming from the speaker.

Does your model have a feature called iDiva under the audio menu. Is it on?
post #654 of 1475 Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 PM

I have an LT37HVS and an LT26HVX. The 37 I've had for about 18 months (bought new from a Tigerdirect near me) and have had no problems. The dual tuners are great. My archaic cable company doesn't offer any type of HD package and the digital boxes they offer only have composite connections (!!??!!). So, I have cable from the wall (whole house is wired for it) going to one of the inputs and a line from the antenna in the attic going to the other (digital) input. Even though I'm 40 to 50 miles from Chicago (in Will County) I still get about every OTA HD channel in the area - CBS has never come in well out here.

I use a refurbished, upscaling DVD player the I got from either ecost.com or buy.com and the picture is great. Both sites have them for about 60. I've bought and use 3 of them throughout the house, Toshibas and Sonys, and have had no problems with them. Check these sites out if you're in the market for one.

The 26 is currently the bedroom TV. Also bought used but, again, have had no problems (I've been pretty lucky so far, eh?). No ATSC tuner so no HD. The cable picture is just OK. I have another of the refurbed DVD players connected via a Monoprice HDMI-DVI cable (no HDMI input on this TV) and the picture looks great. I have promised this TV to my son when he leaves for college in the fall. I wanted a 32" anyway.

So, for the last month or two I have read every page of this thread and all 62 pages of the new Olevia models thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=698254) trying to find out what I could about the 232V, which would be perfect for the bedroom armoire.

Well I got one at CC for 5 this past Sunday. It does fit perfectly. I admittedly have not had time to do much besides set it up, and that includes not having had the time to read the manual. The fact that it's on a CD is contributing to this and, in my opinion, is just plain silly. Anyway, here are my initial impressions:

I knew about the power switch in the back so they didn't get me there. I'd have to agree that the menu system (what I've seen of it) is pretty goofy. Took it off showroom but left it on 6500 for color. Anything you do with the remote, including cycling through the inputs, has to be done slowly and deliberately. If you take your time, every push of the button will register ... eventually. I don't have anything hooked up to the component input so I can't tell you I've seen it, but I would hazard to guess that some cabling issue is the root cause there.

The cable picture looks a little better than it did on the 26. I did a cable channel search and "got" about 180 digital channels and about 60 or so analog channels. I say "got" because none of the digital channels are available. I cycle the up channel button and all I see are the cable channels I would normally get, the 60 or so analog channels. Again, I haven't read the users guide so I might be missing something. Suggestions, please? I promise I will get to the users guide this weekend (hopefully).

I did an air channel search and all I got was what I expected - not much.

DVDs via HDMI are awesome.

I have a calibration disc (complete with tinted shades) that I intend to use, but I thought I read that you should use the TV for a few weeks first to let it "settle in" before you calibrate it. Yes? No? Once I find out for sure I'll use it and post my settings. If I understand correctly, these settings will only be "perfect" for my particular combo of TV and DVD player for my HDMI input only, correct? Either way, I'll post them since so many people have asked.

Here's what I hope to accomplish and maybe someone can assure me I'm on the right track as I have seen this asked at least twice but haven't seen a definitive answer (to my simple mind, anyway) yet: I want OTA HD via my antenna. I believe I need to get a short length of F type cable, hook it up to the tuner input of the TV, connect an F type splitter to the other end, connect the line from the cable to one part of the splitter and the line from the antenna to other. Then I'll have to redo the "air" channel search. Yes? Will I also have to redo the cable channel search since I disconnected the cable?

Once that search is done and if I do find the OTA HD signals I expect to get, will they always be there when I select tuner as the input to the TV? Will the cable channels be there also? This is pretty confusing to me as I've always been able to select either the cable or digital (OTA antenna) input on my 37 incher. Any input about this and my question about viewing the digital channels the cable search found would be appreciated. Oh, and when is the best time to use the calibration disc?

By the way, the LT26HVX I intend to hook up to the upstairs computer via VGA until my son leaves in the fall. I've never swapped out monitors on a computer before so if anyone has a few quick guidelines or hints about what to watch out for, I'd appreciate that, also.
post #655 of 1475 Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 315carter View Post

The fact that it's on a CD is contributing to this and, in my opinion, is just plain silly.

I used to feel this way too until I learned that it was a corporate decision regarding global warming. Get used to it as more and more companies get on board and start doing this. You can always print the manual yourself. We only printed off the remote control section until we learn where everything is

Quote:

I cycle the up channel button and all I see are the cable channels I would normally get, the 60 or so analog channels.

Did you try manually tuning them in? Remember they will be 3-1, 3-2, 4-1 etc (instead of 3,4,5,etc) as they are digital. It's a good idea to wait before calibrating simply because it will be easier for you to set it up this way as you learn the TV's menus.

Quote:

I've never swapped out monitors on a computer before so if anyone has a few quick guidelines or hints about what to watch out for, I'd appreciate that, also.

Just make sure your video card can handle the higher resolution and you should be set
post #656 of 1475 Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Here is a quick link to Directv. Its issue of the picture through out HDMI cable, when setting high than 420p.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ostID=10240928

May be will be helpful for Olevia owners to track of the new software for H20-100 box.
post #657 of 1475 Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 315carter View Post

Anything you do with the remote, including cycling through the inputs, has to be done slowly and deliberately. If you take your time, every push of the button will register ... eventually.

This is not a problem with the set. Buy some good batteries for the remote. If the remote isn't sending out a signal, then the TV won't know what to do
post #658 of 1475 Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM

i recently purchased this television from circuit city for memorial day. On the panoramic aspect the sides of the screen become warped or stretched slightly and it distorts the image about 6 inches into each side. does anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?
post #659 of 1475 Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxter View Post

i recently purchased this television from circuit city for memorial day. On the panoramic aspect the sides of the screen become warped or stretched slightly and it distorts the image about 6 inches into each side. does anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?

Panoramic is a horizontal ONLY stretching. Some distortion is inevitable. Try some of the other settings to see if you get a better result.
post #660 of 1475 Old 05-31-2007, 12:28 PM

i undstand stretching, but it is not universal among the screen, it is just about 6 inches in from each side, the center looks rather proportional.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page