OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1474 Old 06-16-2007, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't use captions BUT I was planning on learning how to do that anyway. It's a cool feature.

I will see what I can find out and let you know later this week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1474 Old 06-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet HDTV View Post

I don't use captions BUT I was planning on learning how to do that anyway. It's a cool feature.

I will see what I can find out and let you know later this week

Nice! Check out Cops in HD on Fox on Saturdays at 8PM Eastern (just ended a few minutes ago) with the captions. What better way to try them out! =)
post #723 of 1474 Old 06-17-2007, 06:41 AM

I've got kind of an odd question for all you 232V experts out there. I set mine up a couple of days ago, connect to a standard def settop box (for now, hd one will be installed next week). We've noticed over the last day or so, that on some channels, the picture eventually fades to black and white intermittently. If you change channels and back again, the color reappears, but it then sometimes fades to B&W again. the fade takes place at different time intervals.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior? Is it possible, I have a bad set? Or is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks in advance...
post #724 of 1474 Old 06-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgannon View Post

I've got kind of an odd question for all you 232V experts out there. I set mine up a couple of days ago, connect to a standard def settop box (for now, hd one will be installed next week). We've noticed over the last day or so, that on some channels, the picture eventually fades to black and white intermittently. If you change channels and back again, the color reappears, but it then sometimes fades to B&W again. the fade takes place at different time intervals.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior? Is it possible, I have a bad set? Or is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks in advance...

Sounds like Macrovision to me. Not sure why this symptom would come from a cbl/sat box though...sounds like the symptom that you get when you try to connect a DVD through a VCR.
post #725 of 1474 Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 PM

Serious question:
I own the olevia 232v and have left the clear protective plastic screen cover that was part of the packaging materials on the screen the last few days. I will continue to do so at least and until I get a microfiber dust cleaner or cloth. Is this safe? I am weary of figerprints and dust and sneezes(from past experiences). Could this cause damage to the screen short term? Any help appreciated.
G
post #726 of 1474 Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceghost7777 View Post

at least and until I get a microfiber dust cleaner or cloth. Is this safe?

All microfiber is not created equal. It all depends on it's grade, and what material it's made of. If you want to get a good microfiber cloth then look for brands like Sonus. Also NEVER clean a microfiber cloth with regular laundry type soap and never dry them at a high temperature setting. You should be able to find good microfiber cloths at a car detailing shop. Provided you have a good microfiber cloth then yes, it is completely safe
post #727 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Thanks,
Just a couple of quick follow up questions. Just to make it clear I have been watching and using the olevia 232v tv with the plastic transparent screen cover on the past few days...this is ok?

As far as the microfiber cloth, there is a product by Digital Innovations called the cleanDr Screen Cleaner Model: 7010600. It has some non alcohol/amonia fluid spray, but the main selling point to me is the cleaning "wand" with microfiber cleaning head tool that it comes with. It looks lick a large plastic shaving razor and where the blade would be there is a microfiber head. Anything to keep my hands further away from the screen is a plus to me. Is this a good product?
Bed Bath And Beyond also sells "As Seen On TV Micro Fiber Miracle Cloth (Set of 4)" Is this acceptable?
G
post #728 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Digital Innovations called the cleanDr Screen Cleaner

I have seen the pro version of this and the main problem with it is that the grade of microfiber is poor, plus the wand could potentially cause dead pixels. I personally wouldn't use it. The fluid looked OK, but was way over priced. Olevia reccomends using Vinegar (mixed with water) or Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the screen. You could find either one in a store for around a dollar

Quote:

Bed Bath And Beyond also sells "As Seen On TV Micro Fiber Miracle Cloth (Set of 4)" Is this acceptable?

I'm guessing it's probably really cheap microfiber, but I have to go there today anyway so I will have a look at it and let you know Microfiber is now becoming a 'buzz' word. Unfortunately as mentioned earlier there are different grades of it, and most of what is on the market is unsuitable for delicate applications.
post #729 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM

My 232-S12 is connected to a Motorola DCT-3416/2305 Comcast HD Cable Box via HDMI. The HDMI connection is the only connection to the TV. Frequently when changing channels, the "No Signal" message appears even though the TV picture and sound are displaying perfectly. The only way to clear the message is to cycle through the "Source" menu or to power off/on the TV. I have insured that the cable is tightly installed. Is there a solution for this? My firmware version is: A33-8.A19.A10.A01.

I really like this HDTV. I have a 37" Mitsu in the family room. There is a visible PQ difference between the two; but for a bedroom TV at a quarter of the cost of my Mitsu, the Olevia is a perfect option. I solved the "Beam me up Scottie" blue light issue by applying a slim piece of electrical tape to the upper 90% of the light. The blue light now appears as a very small square and the tape is not noticeable even on close inspection.

I downloaded the remote codes to my Harmony 688 remote thus eliminating the cheap Olevia remote. Since I control channels through the DVR, the TV is very responsive...no delays in any function that I need to use.

My only complaint: What moron thought that the "cube" metaphor for the menu was more functional than a full screen menu?
post #730 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfourman View Post

My only complaint: What moron thought that the "cube" metaphor for the menu was more functional than a full screen menu?

More like "Rubiks cube" menu
post #731 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Are Clean-Rite 7-512 12-Pk Microfiber Cleaning Towels ok?
What about The Original California Dusters?
Other than Sonus can you recommend another product. Thank you.
post #732 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfourman View Post

My 232-S12 is connected to a Motorola DCT-3416/2305 Comcast HD Cable Box via HDMI. The HDMI connection is the only connection to the TV. Frequently when changing channels, the "No Signal" message appears even though the TV picture and sound are displaying perfectly. The only way to clear the message is to cycle through the "Source" menu or to power off/on the TV.

I'm having the same problem, although it happens mainly when changing the volume on the TV set. I get the "no signal" or "invalid format" message. Does anyone know of a fix, or is this a common problem? I am using a Comcast/Motorola 6412 via HDMI if it matters.
post #733 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Are Clean-Rite 7-512 12-Pk Microfiber Cleaning Towels ok?

No, the fibers are not split.

Quote:
Other than Sonus can you recommend another product.

Here are some guidelines:
  • A 80/20 blend of polyester and polyamide is good for polishing.
  • A 70/30 or 75/25 blend of Polyester/Polyamide blend will absorb water faster.
  • Quality microfiber strands are .01 to .02 denier.
  • Quality microfiber is 90,000 to 225,000 fibers per square inch.
  • If you are given a choice, always choose a lighter colored microfiber towel.

Doing a quick search, these looked like a fairly good economy microfiber towel
post #734 of 1474 Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:

Serious question:
I own the olevia 232v and have left the clear protective plastic screen cover that was part of the packaging materials on the screen the last few days. I will continue to do so at least and until I get a microfiber dust cleaner or cloth. Is this safe? I am weary of figerprints and dust and sneezes(from past experiences). Could this cause damage to the screen short term? Any help appreciated.
G

I want to post my overall experience with this TV since I bought it at the Memorial Day sale, but first, I will say that I also have decided to leave the protective plastic screen on the lcd. I don't think it poses any danger - I too just want to keep the screen clean.

So, the story goes like this. I got this Olevia LCD during CC's Memorial Day Sale for a wonderful price. I have cable without a digital box or anything like that, and it made all of the normal channels look much better than my old Zenith CRT and then the HD channels were amazing.

However, after about two weeks, the cable tuner (this is QAM, I assume) in the TV no longer worked well. All of the channels became "fuzzy" and some were not even watchable. I had the cable company (Charter) come check it out to make sure it wasn't there fault, and it was not. Luckily I was still within my 30 day return with CC, so I took it back and got another yesterday. It looks as wonderfully as the first one did initially. Given the super deal I got for the TV, I really want to stick with the Olevia and make it last a long time. However, with the tuner going out that quickly, I am tempted to get CC's extended three-year warranty for $130. Any suggestions/experiences with this extended warranty program? In your opinions, how does it stack up against the Olevia extended warranty? Anyone heard of any problems with the cable tuner in this model? TIA.
post #735 of 1474 Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze550 View Post

I want to post my overall experience with this TV since I bought it at the Memorial Day sale, but first, I will say that I also have decided to leave the protective plastic screen on the lcd. I don't think it poses any danger - I too just want to keep the screen clean.

So, the story goes like this. I got this Olevia LCD during CC's Memorial Day Sale for a wonderful price. I have cable without a digital box or anything like that, and it made all of the normal channels look much better than my old Zenith CRT and then the HD channels were amazing.

However, after about two weeks, the cable tuner (this is QAM, I assume) in the TV no longer worked well. All of the channels became "fuzzy" and some were not even watchable. I had the cable company (Charter) come check it out to make sure it wasn't there fault, and it was not. Luckily I was still within my 30 day return with CC, so I took it back and got another yesterday. It looks as wonderfully as the first one did initially. Given the super deal I got for the TV, I really want to stick with the Olevia and make it last a long time. However, with the tuner going out that quickly, I am tempted to get CC's extended three-year warranty for $130. Any suggestions/experiences with this extended warranty program? In your opinions, how does it stack up against the Olevia extended warranty? Anyone heard of any problems with the cable tuner in this model? TIA.

Why would you spend close to 1/3 of the price of the TV for a 3 year warranty? The first year is already covered so that works out to be $70 a year. It the tuner does crap out again and it is no longer in waranty just get a cable box for around the same price that you would spend on the warranty. JMHO

Shawn
post #736 of 1474 Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 AM

RampageSTi:

I received a reply from Olevia on the "no signal" message issue. Apparently, the problem is related to a Motorola DVR Setting:

Hello,

Here is a screenshot from a Motorola cable box. Override section is highlighted. To get to this screen you have to turn off the cable box, and while the box is off press the menu button. You have to press the menu button on the box itself not the remote control. Then you will see the screen below. Once in that menu you have to press the up, down, right or left arrow key to navigate the menu just like in our TVs.

(Image attached)

Set the 480i override to 480p.

For status on open cases please call

888-796-8298 ext. 8490

Thank you.

I haven't tried this yet; but from the "cut and paste" look of the message, it appears that this is a common issue and resolution. I hope it works.
LL
post #737 of 1474 Old 06-23-2007, 12:01 AM

This kind of sucks I have had this TV for around 2 months with no problems but now i have experienced the Green effect many people have said. I first experienced problems using my pc through VGA. When I was watching a movie full screen i noticed some odd scan lines. At first i though it was software issue but it started happened more frequently it was a dark black scan line around 3 kept going up and sometimes staying there. Today i turned on the PS3 to watch the movie shooter everything going fine and then I see this green line really odd i was wondering what the hell it was and then i see a redish one and purple one going up and they started getting wider to the point i restarted the ps3 and in the browser i could see them more clearly . I contacted the company or sent them an email to return the product and get a refund but seing as how people said they are slow >> i dont know how long ill wait.
post #738 of 1474 Old 06-23-2007, 05:51 AM

Has anyone found which codes for the Cox M7820 Universal DVR remote work to control the 232V? I've tried RCA, LG, Philips, and Yamaha and none seem to work.
post #739 of 1474 Old 06-23-2007, 07:08 AM

At Olevia support's instruction, I changed the 4:3 Override setting on my Motorola 3416 DVR to 480p. The random appearance of the "no signal" message is fixed; but now when changing channels, the screen frequently "spazzes" until it adjusts to the proper aspect ratio. The channel changing was much smoother when the 4:3 Override setting was set to "off".
post #740 of 1474 Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 PM

Hello,
I am confused about my resolution options when using this TV as a computer monitor. I encountered 2 options under my vid card settings for "forcing" modes (may have been 720p and 1080i)...there was a warning that setting these options may damage a monitor not capable of handling those settings.
In addition, I believe I saw options like a "regular" computer monitor for setting different refresh rates and resolutions e.g. 1024x768 75 hz.

Yes, I am confused about all of these modes/resolutions with this tv

So...basically, can anyone tell me where to find a list of refresh rates/resolutions, etc...that the TV can accept without any risk of damage?
Sorry if my wording and questions were newbish.
I just want to get the best possible picture (using VGA connection, not HDMI) for my laptop.
-j
post #741 of 1474 Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie72 View Post

I encountered 2 options under my vid card settings for "forcing" modes (may have been 720p and 1080i)...there was a warning that setting these options may damage a monitor not capable of handling those settings.
Yes, I am confused about all of these modes/resolutions with this tv

Hello Jeannie. I wouldn't set it to anything other than 60Hz. We also received the warning about forcing the resolution, but we had no choice, it was either force or don't use, so we clicked on it and chose 1360x768. Worked like a charm Every computer is different but for us this was the only way to get it to work correctly
post #742 of 1474 Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet HDTV View Post

Hello Jeannie. I wouldn't set it to anything other than 60Hz. We also received the warning about forcing the resolution, but we had no choice, it was either force or don't use, so we clicked on it and chose 1360x768. Worked like a charm Every computer is different but for us this was the only way to get it to work correctly

Hi Planet HDTV,
Thank you so much for your reply. I did find out that the maximum supported resolution when using the VGA is (as you suggested) 1360x768 at 60hz refresh rate. The scary thing is that I have other options available when I change display settings in windows, and at least one of these exceeds the max. resolution for the set.

In case anyone comes accross this post and is interested, I did find the online manual while lists acceptable resolutions/refresh rates. It was at the Olevia site, actually I didn't find the 232v manual for some reason, but I got the url for another manual then went to the root menu and found one for "UM-En_ATi_226_227_232_060913.pdf" (I can't post URL's here yet due to being a new member).
Here's the list. Acceptable refresh rate for below resolutions is always 60 unless asterisk which means 60 and 75 will both work.

VGA connection:
640x480*
800x600*
1024x768*
1280x768
1360x768

DVI connection:
same as above, except no 75hz refresh for 800x600, and an additional resolution of 1280x720 is available.

As far as refresh rates, I was under the impression that this didn't apply somehow to LCD monitors(?), so I'm confused as to why there's even a choice at some resolutions??

RE: 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, should these options ever be available when connecting a computer to the tv (either VGA or DVI connection)? It seems like I had these options when trying to connect the laptop (which unfortunately, I don't have access to now, so can't confirm), but didn't try them after receiving a warning about damaging the set. Anyone?
post #743 of 1474 Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
km

My Olevia LT30HV broke down, and Syntax wants to replace it under my extended warranty with a 232T. If i press them I could probably get them to repair the LT30HV instead.

The pros of getting the 232T as I see it are:

* 32 inch instead of 30
* 3 year newer technology. (Hopefullly it handles dark scenes better)
* true 16x9 (LT30 is 1280x768)
* rs232 control and individual IR button for input selection without menu (does it treally have this?)

Cons
* No PIP/Split screen
* No external speaker connection (The speakers on the LT30 can be removed, and its internal amp can drive other external speakers).
* Fewer independent inputs (second component uses vga, is this done with a special cable?)
* Low end set that costs half what my LT30 cost, not much more than the extended warranty cost me)

Anything I missed, or advise on weather to accept t the 232T replacement?
post #744 of 1474 Old 07-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Any idea when NEW Firmware is coming out?
post #745 of 1474 Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

I didn't buy anything extra, I just used the 32" wall mount kit, and all the hardware that came in the box, nothing extra needed.

- Josh

Hey Josh or anyone else who has mounted using the monoprice ~$25 wall mount. Did you use the plastic spacers provided with kit? The machine screws were too long for the shallow holes, and the instructions said spacers are not needed for flat-backed tvs. Someone in the customer reviews mentioned they purchased shorter #4 screw at Lowes, but my Home Depot didnt have metric. I assume you went ahead and used the spacers to adjust for the length.

Thanks,
Brian
post #746 of 1474 Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM
km

The 232T Spec sheet says

"Separate and Hidden IR Remote Button Command for each input".

What does this mean? I didn't see a hidden remote button when I looked at one in a store. I would think that it would refer to buttons under a sliding cover, but I didn't see one.
post #747 of 1474 Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM

I recently moved the 232 monitor from one room to another and hooked it up to an identical direct tv recvr in the new room. I cannot get the audio. I looked at the directions and they say to verify it is on stereo and not on sap, but there is no mts status button coming up as i scroll through the audio choices. ANY SUGGESTIONS? Everything is plugged in correctly. The audio works fine when plugged into the tv we are replacing. Thanks.
post #748 of 1474 Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 PM

I bought a monster cd disc to give me optimum settings though they are worse than the factory.
Can anyone please share with me the best picture quality settings with HDMI hookup to me please?

I have tried so many different combinations and about a year ago bought a sony bravia and had settings that made the TV.
If anyone could take a few momments and give me there settings to what they feel are the best i would greatly appreciate it.
Resolution, Brightness, Contrast, Etc
I am lost, and I know i can get a better picture than what i am seeing now,
Currently I am using Direct Tv HD box with an HDMI cable,
I just want to make sure my settings are on queue
Any info is greatly appreciated,
above is my email
thanks
Katie
post #749 of 1474 Old 07-22-2007, 06:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiehlvr1 View Post

I bought a monster cd disc to give me optimum settings though they are worse than the factory.
Can anyone please share with me the best picture quality settings with HDMI hookup to me please?

I have tried so many different combinations and about a year ago bought a sony bravia and had settings that made the TV.
If anyone could take a few momments and give me there settings to what they feel are the best i would greatly appreciate it.
Resolution, Brightness, Contrast, Etc
I am lost, and I know i can get a better picture than what i am seeing now,
Currently I am using Direct Tv HD box with an HDMI cable,
I just want to make sure my settings are on queue
Any info is greatly appreciated,
above is my email
thanks
Katie

Go into the menu and reset to factory default settings for the picture. Olevias come from the factory calibrated to AVIA and DVE standards so you only should have to tweak the brightness, contrast, and sharpness to your liking.
post #750 of 1474 Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km View Post

My Olevia LT30HV broke down, and Syntax wants to replace it under my extended warranty with a 232T. If i press them I could probably get them to repair the LT30HV instead.

The pros of getting the 232T as I see it are:

* 32 inch instead of 30
* 3 year newer technology. (Hopefullly it handles dark scenes better)
* true 16x9 (LT30 is 1280x768)
* rs232 control and individual IR button for input selection without menu (does it treally have this?)

Cons
* No PIP/Split screen
* No external speaker connection (The speakers on the LT30 can be removed, and its internal amp can drive other external speakers).
* Fewer independent inputs (second component uses vga, is this done with a special cable?)
* Low end set that costs half what my LT30 cost, not much more than the extended warranty cost me)

Anything I missed, or advise on weather to accept t the 232T replacement?

I don't think there's an individual IR button for each input selection. I have to cycle through all of the inputs to get to the one I want.

It does have a 3.5mm stereo output as well as a red/white rca output but no optical out.

And yes you can use the vga port as a second component input using a vga component cable. I can't post links but you can search for it at monoprice or something.

The 232v also has an HDMI input and built in digital tuner unlike the LT30 I believe.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page