OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1473 Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked one of these sets up and when i use a dvi-hdmi cable to use my pc i get a black box surrounding the image, doesnt use up the entire screen. Same thing happens when i hook up a ps3.

Is there some way to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1473 Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalientKing View Post

I just picked one of these sets up and when i use a dvi-hdmi cable to use my pc i get a black box surrounding the image, doesnt use up the entire screen. Same thing happens when i hook up a ps3.

I tend to think you're using a resolution like 800x600 or something. Try the zoom settings on the TV to fill it out. Maybe only certain resolutions are supported on the HDMI jacks? I don't use them on mine. I do on the DLP in the living room (the Syntax is on the wall in my bedroom)...

I ran a VGA cable directly from my video card to the LCD and I run at 1366x768. It looks absolutely phenomenal on the Olevia. Maybe you'll want to try that. The performance is absolutely top notch. It fills the entire screen, too.
post #813 of 1473 Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Yeah the vga works great, but i was using that for my xbox. Im kinda bummed that i cant get 1360x768 via the hdmi port.

Anyone else having this problem?
post #814 of 1473 Old 09-11-2007, 04:55 AM

Just checking - but you did set resolution at 1080, correct? You might also try the autosync button in the screen menu--this always works for me when I am not getting full screen in vga. Another thing to try is the aspect button.
post #815 of 1473 Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapp View Post

I was placed on hold for about 6 minutes and then I was told that they're out of 232Vs but could offer a 232T in its place. I compared the specs on the website and agreed. (I like the style of the 232T better, anyway.)

I was told to call back on Wednesday, September 5th to get my tracking number for the 232T. This all started on July 20th...and still no TV.

I called on September 7th to get my tracking number -- again giving them a few days to make sure that the replacement set had shipped -- and was told it hadn't shipped yet. At this point, I lost my patience and asked for a refund. I was told I'd be put on a "priority list" and my 232V would ship ASAP. No mention of the 232T was made...even though that's what was supposedly holding things up before. When I asked for more details, I was asked if they could research things and call me back. I agreed because I had to get off the phone. Three hours later, a Janette called me back and said my replacement set would ship on Monday, September 10th.

So, today (9/11), I called to see if that was the case and I actually received a tracking number. The set did ship on Monday, as promised. It's scheduled for delivery later this week. I really hope it works this time.
post #816 of 1473 Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 AM

what was wrong with your first set?
post #817 of 1473 Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:

what was wrong with your first set?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post11171622
post #818 of 1473 Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapp View Post

So, today (9/11), I called to see if that was the case and I actually received a tracking number. The set did ship on Monday, as promised. It's scheduled for delivery later this week. I really hope it works this time.

I received my 2nd replacement 232V on Friday, September 14th. Lo and behold, it works!

Strangely, the model I received doesn't have all the logos on the bottom left-hand side of the face of the TV. Can't say I miss them. (The 1st replacement had them.)

I hope this is the end of my troubles with the 232V. I really liked the original set up until my weird "getting a purple screen through the component input" problem. Dealing with Olevia's customer support hasn't been pleasant, but it could have been much worse. Going nearly two months without a set was not fun, but I can definitely think of worse things to go through.
post #819 of 1473 Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Just so others here don't have to be put on hold waiting for Olevia tech support ...

I have called them to find out what screws to use to attach wall-mount brackets to the back of 232v back panel. I was told the correct screw would be M4 with 12mm maxium length. I think hardware stores would have them labeled "M4x12mm."

Has anyone else here had to go out and buy screws to mount your LCD? If so, could you share with us what screws worked for your TV? Thanks!
post #820 of 1473 Old 09-27-2007, 05:03 PM

How do you hook up a VCR to this TV?

I'm using that basic black cable wire- you know, the one that screws in- to hook up the VCR to the TV, and it's not working. Any help here?
post #821 of 1473 Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unickuta View Post

How do you hook up a VCR to this TV?

I'm using that basic black cable wire- you know, the one that screws in- to hook up the VCR to the TV, and it's not working. Any help here?

The problem is the RF input to this tv is a QAM/ATSC tuner, so hooking up your vcr with the coax won't work. You'll need to use the Yellow RCA or if you don't have that you'll need to get an RF modulator and go from coax to RCA.

- Josh
post #822 of 1473 Old 09-28-2007, 06:36 AM

What does it take to remove the stand off these tvs? Removal of the screws towards the bottom?
post #823 of 1473 Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoKola View Post

What does it take to remove the stand off these tvs? Removal of the screws towards the bottom?

Turn the tv around, so you see the back of the tv, you can see the base and how it is one peice that goes up to the middle of the back of the tv. There will be about 6 to 8 holes on that base, all of them are the screws that hold the base on, what I did was lay my tv flat on a few pillow on my bed, and then gently unscrew all the screws and the base came right up.

- Josh
post #824 of 1473 Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM

Someone had stated that the speaker hum in a Olevia 232v is causd by a ground loop within the buyers home outlet. But I have tested my outlets and they are wired correctly. Also, the hum seems to go away when you turn on the lighting setting "Bright Room". This is however, too bad since most people will be watching this size TV in a bedroom at night. There is another poster in this forum that has noticed the same thing. My guess is there is a power problem in the regulation of the backlight.
post #825 of 1473 Old 09-29-2007, 01:16 PM

I own two of the Olevia 232T receivers and notice from time to time a breakup or distortion of the audio when a very loud sound like an explosion occurs. This happens only on HD programming. One set is on an external amp and speaker system. Is it the TV design or the program or Comcast cable. I'm feeding both receivers direct no cable box. Thanks in advance for any input.
post #826 of 1473 Old 09-30-2007, 06:38 PM

My question is which tv to buy..Olevia 232V of Vizio VX32L. It will used mostly for gaming with Xbox 360 and some tv. I have Directv with hr20 and the HD programming package.. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #827 of 1473 Old 10-01-2007, 07:07 AM

Hi,

Just got the 232T for 5 bills, using it primarily for a computer monitor. I'm running 1360X768@60 via HDMI, 1:1 mapping, HDMI audio. Using a ATI X1250 7.9 catalyst. Updated to the latest firmware and calibrated using AVIA, seems to have green push, around +15%. Makes me wonder about the green tint issue. HD via cable looks good, PS2 via component looks good, enjoying playing GT4 again.

My problem is with color bleeding/blurring with fonts. Some fonts would exhibit multiples colors and bleeding into the surrounding area. Tried to play with sharpness and HDMI cables. Minimized, but still there. Granted its a TV and does a very good job of it. Just wondering if anyone else ran into the situation and possible fixes. I'd like to keep it but I know the problem is going to get bigger once the "honeymoon" is over.
post #828 of 1473 Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:

cropping selection in the menu?
post #829 of 1473 Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdave059 View Post

I own two of the Olevia 232T receivers and notice from time to time a breakup or distortion of the audio when a very loud sound like an explosion occurs. This happens only on HD programming. One set is on an external amp and speaker system. Is it the TV design or the program or Comcast cable. I'm feeding both receivers direct no cable box. Thanks in advance for any input.

Me too! Haven't gone as far as you. I was hoping that external amps and/or speakers will fix this. Hmmmmm... this might be the "straw" for me.
post #830 of 1473 Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM

It maybe time to give Olevia customer service on this one.
post #831 of 1473 Old 10-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Well, I've decided to return my monitor. Too many little quirks, then again I might be asking too much for too little. BTW, resolved my fonts issue by using VGA. Weird thing though... can't tell the difference between VGA and HDMI, other than VGA doesn't have font bleeding... go figure. Anyway, I want something higher than 1360X768/32 inch, too much SDE for me.
post #832 of 1473 Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got this set for a quick pick up since my other equip was stolen.

I've got to say this thing is way over hyped IMO. It looks like complete garbage compared to my last tv. Granted the last one was 56" and DLP, but still this thing does not look good in any format and has audio issues.

HD is barely noticable. I really can't see much difference between the two sometimes. Only MOJO channel seems to shine. Everything else is letter box, side bars or I have to constantly zoom to get full screen, then its too zoomed...

Audio is horrible. It humms on and off for no reason. This is on TOP of already adjusting "Bright room" settings. I put it on bright room so I didn't have to hear the constant humming.

Anyway if you couldn't tell, I'm not happy with it at all and going to return it today. Just thought I'd share for anyone considering it.
I like the color of it, the dull black is kind of cool and the design besides the depth seems nice as well. I've been sadily disappointed with the A/V from it though.
post #833 of 1473 Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS View Post

I just got this set for a quick pick up since my other equip was stolen.

I've got to say this thing is way over hyped IMO. It looks like complete garbage compared to my last tv. Granted the last one was 56" and DLP, but still this thing does not look good in any format and has audio issues.

This tv by any means is NOT a 56" 1080p tv replacement/contender

This tv is a BUDGET tv and nothing more, nothing less.

if you bought this tv to compete with your old 1080p dlp you've got another thing coming.

What this tv is, is a GREAT sub $500 lcd tv, for the money, meaning for what you get for what you paid, you can't find a better deal.

But for that money you also have things you need to give up, black levels, poor audio, weird quirks like the humming/noise issues, which btw can be dealt with by leaving the tv on bright mode, but then turning down the brightness/contrast in the settings menu, granted its still bright, but its better than dealing with the humming noise issue.

Quote:

HD is barely noticable. I really can't see much difference between the two sometimes. Only MOJO channel seems to shine. Everything else is letter box, side bars or I have to constantly zoom to get full screen, then its too zoomed...

why zoom, or full screen SD? SD is 4:3 this tv is 16:9 so yes you'll have to deal with pillar box's on the sides, but hey thats just the nature of watching SD tv with a wide screen HD display.

[quote
Audio is horrible. It humms on and off for no reason. This is on TOP of already adjusting "Bright room" settings. I put it on bright room so I didn't have to hear the constant humming. [/quote]

yes you have to do that, but thats what you have to give up for a cheap tv, you get what you pay for, I didn't want to spend huge $$$$ for a secondary hdtv so I gave up some features/quality for getting a cheap hdtv in my bedroom, which many others here have done the same thing.

yes this TV is NOT perfect, or the BEST out there, but for the $$$$$$ is damn competitive. So if your looking for a secondary display, or a cheap tv and don't care thats its not 100% perfect, its still a great buy.

- Josh
post #834 of 1473 Old 10-06-2007, 11:18 AM

I have had this TV for about 9 or 10 months, and a few weeks ago my tuner stopped working. Everything else on the TV works fine. I know its not my cable signal, b/c if I hook a differnt TV up to it, it works. Can I just buy some sort of external tuner or something?
post #835 of 1473 Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF View Post

I have had this TV for about 9 or 10 months, and a few weeks ago my tuner stopped working. Everything else on the TV works fine. I know its not my cable signal, b/c if I hook a differnt TV up to it, it works. Can I just buy some sort of external tuner or something?

cable tv or OTA?

- Josh
post #836 of 1473 Old 10-06-2007, 11:39 AM

I dunno, I just have the cable go straight to the tv from the wall
post #837 of 1473 Old 10-06-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

well that doesn't help out at all. you need to know wether its cable tv service or if its just basic off the air. If its cable tv you should be able to just get a cable box from the cable co.

if its off the air, samsung makes a great ATSC tuner box for around $125 or so.

- Josh
post #838 of 1473 Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

ARGH, Olevia still hasn't updated the Firmware!
post #839 of 1473 Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM

Ok, so I have this tv hooked up to a htpc. I am using a geforce 8500gt card, using a dvi to hdmi converter and hooked the tv up to the hdmi cable.
two issues;

1. The sound. I am using a seperate cable for sound since dvi doesn't output sound. The manual says to switch to external sound, however nowhere on the tv settings can I find a way to switch the hdmi sound to external !
When I tried to switch the tv to "home" mode it kind of freezes up when I select the home option? I am not sure if it actually switches to home mode and that this is why it is preventing to change the hdmi sound (option isn't there)

2. What resolution do I use ? 1080i ? 1360x768 ? The hd picture seems horrible. I had this thing hooked up via vga before and HD looked stunnning except that it was choppy when I used 1360x768 (but the picture was awesome)
I have it at 1360x768 and big areas on the outside are chopped off. I am in 1:1 mode. Seems odd, and doesn't look right at all. I am using windows vista premium home. I also installed the latest nvidia drivers.
post #840 of 1473 Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_r2d1 View Post

Ok, so I have this tv hooked up to a htpc. I am using a geforce 8500gt card, using a dvi to hdmi converter and hooked the tv up to the hdmi cable.
two issues;

1. The sound. I am using a seperate cable for sound since dvi doesn't output sound. The manual says to switch to external sound, however nowhere on the tv settings can I find a way to switch the hdmi sound to external !
When I tried to switch the tv to "home" mode it kind of freezes up when I select the home option? I am not sure if it actually switches to home mode and that this is why it is preventing to change the hdmi sound (option isn't there)

2. What resolution do I use ? 1080i ? 1360x768 ? The hd picture seems horrible. I had this thing hooked up via vga before and HD looked stunnning except that it was choppy when I used 1360x768 (but the picture was awesome)
I have it at 1360x768 and big areas on the outside are chopped off. I am in 1:1 mode. Seems odd, and doesn't look right at all. I am using windows vista premium home. I also installed the latest nvidia drivers.

1. Take a regular headphone jack to rca cable (red/white) and plug it in the back next to the hdmi port. My 232v-s13 has an hdmi port with rca audio next to it and a vga port with an rca audio next to it too. works great.

2. As for resolution I dunno, I'm using my laptop connected with VGA and set the res to 1360x768. Looks awesome. Try setting your resolution to that, and set the aspect ratio on the tv to Aspect. you can't manually select what res the tv is in with the tv itself.

If things are chopped off, make sure you AUTO SYNC the tv (push the auto sync button) changing inputs and stuff gets it out of whack.

Funny how yours get choppy with vga at that resolution. Did you use a dvi-vga converter or something else?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page