OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1475 Old 11-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i exchanged one of my 3 232V at a circuit city tonight...all 3 had the same green tint in higher resolution...brought it home, plugged it in, set my direct TV receiver to 1080i and flipped the TV on...low and behold...no green tint...so i would suggest that if you have this issue, get the unit exchanged. i have no idea how all these units passed QA with this issue. the firmware on the new tv is the same as my old unit so appears that it is not a firmware issue as harry has alluded to above. great tv by the way once it works. hopefully nothing else got passed the QA process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1475 Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ace View Post

i exchanged one of my 3 232V at a circuit city tonight...all 3 had the same green tint in higher resolution...brought it home, plugged it in, set my direct TV receiver to 1080i and flipped the TV on...low and behold...no green tint...so i would suggest that if you have this issue, get the unit exchanged. i have no idea how all these units passed QA with this issue. the firmware on the new tv is the same as my old unit so appears that it is not a firmware issue as harry has alluded to above. great tv by the way once it works. hopefully nothing else got passed the QA process.

Sounds good str8ace. Did CC give you any guff about wanting to exchange it? I will probably do mine on Sat when i have some more time...
post #93 of 1475 Old 11-28-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post

Sounds good str8ace. Did CC give you any guff about wanting to exchange it? I will probably do mine on Sat when i have some more time...

no problems exchanging it. I just told them it didn't work in the higher resolution.
post #94 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:

I did the same, and it works fine now.
post #95 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 05:44 AM

Out of curiousity... did you guys still have the huge box to repackage it in for Circuit City?

-Steve

Purple in a Blu world.
post #96 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveskg View Post

Out of curiousity... did you guys still have the huge box to repackage it in for Circuit City?

I had my box. Not sure if they will take it back without one.
post #97 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 AM

Yeah, that's why I"m having Olevia send me a new one... because I threw away my box... so I was pretty sure CC wouldn't take the tv back. In addition, I thought they were probably out of stock anyway.

-Steve

Purple in a Blu world.
post #98 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 07:24 AM

Is it possible to take a poll of all the 232v owners to see if they've had green tint issues with their initial set? Because I'd be interested to know just how many of us there are out there.

-Steve

Purple in a Blu world.
post #99 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I had my box. Not sure if they will take it back without one.

Did you go about and try to repackage it perfectly, or just made sure everything was there ? Basically, were they that picky? I know i still have everything, i just don't think i can repackage it like it was before.

Also, let me run this idea by you guys - I think i am going to ask if we can pull it out of the box at the store, and check it there. That way, we only have to go through all the issues only once. But, do you guys think they would do that?
post #100 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Is it possible to take a poll of all the 232v owners to see if they've had green tint issues with their initial set? Because I'd be interested to know just how many of us there are out there.

I second that notion. I know the users here represent a limited subset of all users, but it would still be neat to see just how many are effected. Off the top of my head so far, i think i have seen about 10 TVs here effected.
post #101 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:

The other thing to keep in mind is there were probably 10000 times more of these that hit the market in a 3-4 day period compared to any normal 3-4 day period, which would only make you expect to hear about alot of bad ones at one time.

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #102 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexmi View Post

The other thing to keep in mind is there were probably 10000 times more of these that hit the market in a 3-4 day period compared to any normal 3-4 day period, which would only make you expect to hear about alot of bad ones at one time.

Still though - with one user reporting 3 TVs all having the problem, and a good number of other owners showing problems, it seems like it is bigger than normal.
post #103 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexmi View Post

Also, those who have problems with their set are more likely to seek out this site & post their problems compared to those who had no problems.
post #104 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Hearing all of these stories makes me think I should just pay the extra for a better brand.

I have another question for you guys. Olevia seems to only state their dynamic contrast ratio, what is their static contrast ratio? I was looking at a bravia or some sort of sony that had a dynamic contrast ratio of 7000:1 and a static of around 1600:1. Could the static be that far off on the Olevia sets?
post #105 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianbc View Post

Hearing all of these stories makes me think I should just pay the extra for a better brand.

I have another question for you guys. Olevia seems to only state their dynamic contrast ratio, what is their static contrast ratio? I was looking at a bravia or some sort of sony that had a dynamic contrast ratio of 7000:1 and a static of around 1600:1. Could the static be that far off on the Olevia sets?

As annoying as this one problem is, the TV is otherwise great (but i know, we should have no issues). The HD OTA reception is simply amazing. I pick up 16 digital broadcasts in my area (87109) with a cheapy antenna; the quality of the display of these signals are outstanding. The set does do a bit better with 720P sources, but any HD looks great.

Personally, i think that a bad batch just made it out, and as pointed out before, these were basically bought in one big shot. And hell, to be fair - in regards to your first comment, even the biggest brands have quality issues. Tons of people trust Sony, and look how bad their batteries have been.
post #106 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 01:51 PM

I picked this set up from BJ's and have not seen the green screen, however the display model at CC had it ;-)

Has anyone had any luck with the romote code? I am using a SA 4200HD box on Cablevision's system.

So far it is an outstanding TV for the price... when my office is done it will be hooked up to the pc also.
post #107 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 03:35 PM

I plugged my 360 in via component, however, when I play games I get no sound. Anyone know the problem? I'm using the TVs bult in speakers for now
post #108 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 06:36 PM

Well I changed my mind on having Olevia ship me a replacement. I took mine back to Circuit City along with my 360 for testing the new set. They exchanged it with no problems. The new tv doesn't have a green tint and looks beautiful at 720p and 1080i.
post #109 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I haven't had any problems including that (Green Tint) people are experiencing. My firmware ends in A21. Right now I have my Cable(HD-DVR) hooked up via HDMI & a DVD Player hooked-up via Component..

post #110 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I have the same issue with my H20-100 DTV box on 720/1080 resolution where signal will come in and out. Apprently DTV is to issue a fix but they have said that for over 3 months.

I have the same issues on both of Comcast's HD boxes. dvr and non-dvr. They won't hold a hdmi signal above 480p. This is hdmi-dvi and hdmi-hdmi.
post #111 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 08:56 PM

I just received my 232V today and I have the firmware ending in 21. Here are my experiences over the past few hours.

I've tested it on my PC over VGA and it worked great in both XP and Linux. Though when I shut down Linux there was some screen flicker going on. Games, Internet it all worked great though. I'm going to get a DVI to HDMI cable sometime soon probably, if I figure out a way to set my PC up with the TV full time.

I hooked up my Xbox with XBMC over component and set it to 720p. No green tint issues there. This is the only HD non PC source I currently have to test with, but no problem. I hope to get a 360 and HD cable or DTV in the coming weeks/months. Hopefully no problems will come.

I also tried an Xbox game and didn't experience any control lag as some have reported with Olevias. Control was smooth and the picture on par with my friends rear projection Pioneer.

Additionally, I hooked up my PS2 over Composite and I can vouch for the black bars on all 4 sides. I set the PS2 to widescreen(the control panel was worse than gameplay for black bars). Then I fired up God of War which played great, no control problems on the PS2 either. I tried changing the aspect, but didn't find an acceptable look. It's not filling completely, but I'm ok with that since I'll mostly be using the PS2 on my old CRT anyway.

I've not tried my Game Cube yet, but I'll see how it does later on composite.

Cable quality is as expected, grainy. It actually looks quite good if you set the aspect to 1:1, but of course it's tiny(between a 13" and 20" 4:3). This is basically what I expected though so I'm not upset. There does seem to be some slight motion blur though in full screen mode, but not much and it wasn't there on my PC.

Overall I'm pretty pleased so far, especially when I hooked up my PC. It looked phenomenal even running UT2K4 at 1024x768(didn't take the time to figure out custom resolution for the game). I'd happily use this thing for a PC monitor.

The sound lacks some bass even when adjusted all the way up. The treble really is most prominent and I prefer bass, but the sound quality is fine and well directed. It's not nearly as loud outside of the room as my old CRT and to me that's a plus. It's not perfect sound, but very acceptable to me thus far. I'll have to see how it fairs with DVDs beyond the few moments I played so far.

The remote isn't that great. The buttons are placed in odd locations and I don't see a way to cancel miss keys for channel changes. I don't like how far away the enter button is from the number keys either. It's also a bit slow to respond, though it gets the job done acceptably.

Anyway, so far mine is looking pretty good.
post #112 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 10:44 PM

Well guys, no more 232V for me.

I went to CC after work today, armed with the TV ready for an exchange. I get there, and the people are nice enough, and pull out another one. Given that i would rather not drive home, set everything up, and find out i have another broken unit, i ask if would be possible to test the replacement in the store. To my surprise, they are willing, and we take it to an open spot, and plug it in. And unfortunately, the TV has a green tint issue - however, this issue was a bit different. Instead of the whole screen tinted green, there was a green bar that slowly traveled up the screen, from bottom to top, constantly cycling.

To make it short - all 3 TV's in the house were bunk. Not one was good, and they all showed signs of failing. The display model may have actually been ok, but i wasn't really sure if I wanted that one. Thankfully, the sales manager was nice, and made an offer i could not refuse. They had a 42" Samsung DLP, open box, for $889; he offered it to me for $799. Add in the 24 months no interest, i just could not refuse.

So, i wish you all the best of luck guys - the TV was good otherwise, but perhaps there really was a reason why the TV's were going for $500...
post #113 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post

Did you go about and try to repackage it perfectly, or just made sure everything was there ? Basically, were they that picky? I know i still have everything, i just don't think i can repackage it like it was before.

Also, let me run this idea by you guys - I think i am going to ask if we can pull it out of the box at the store, and check it there. That way, we only have to go through all the issues only once. But, do you guys think they would do that?

I put mine back pretty much the way i bought it...even with the yellow straps...made it easier to carry for me.
post #114 of 1475 Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 PM

i hooked up my tv today to a PS3 playing call of duty 3 and it was awesome... picture was stunning. I connected it using HDMI. anyhow, great tv if you can find one that works. game playing didnt exhibit any response time problems or anything.
post #115 of 1475 Old 11-30-2006, 01:26 AM

Has anyone found a remote code that works for this set w/ a Comcast box?
post #116 of 1475 Old 11-30-2006, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Those of you who ordered this TV from CC on Black Friday, how long did it take to get yours? I still have not received mine and the status report on CC's website looks exactly the same as it did on Friday.

Also, if I were to have problems with my tv like some of you have had, can I exchange it at a CC store, or do I have to do it through CC's website and go through the shipping process? Maybe I should do what one poster did and try to work a deal with a CC manager! Very nervous about all the reported problems!!
post #117 of 1475 Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 AM

Ordered Black Friday, paid the extra 4.99 and got the TV Tuesday.
post #118 of 1475 Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post

Those of you who ordered this TV from CC on Black Friday, how long did it take to get yours? I still have not received mine and the status report on CC's website looks exactly the same as it did on Friday.

Also, if I were to have problems with my tv like some of you have had, can I exchange it at a CC store, or do I have to do it through CC's website and go through the shipping process? Maybe I should do what one poster did and try to work a deal with a CC manager! Very nervous about all the reported problems!!

Ordered mine on Thursday and added the $8 3 day shipping it arrived monday

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #119 of 1475 Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 AM

Liked: 12
I got one on black Friday after waiting in line. I have had no problems with it, very happy with it for the price.

The only issue is i still can't get it to work with my Comcast remote, any help there would be appreciated,
post #120 of 1475 Old 11-30-2006, 09:09 AM

Maybe ill take my shot on one at eBay. So many people are selling them the prices are dropping a good amount!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page