OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1473 Old 12-17-2006, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I did it, came home from CC with a 232V in hand, first hooked up my pc to it and WOW is all I can say 32 inches of pc monitor is amazing and looks great!

Then I hooked up my standard cable tv line (no box no hd box just standard cable line to previous old tv in this room), I did a cable channel search in auto mode it found some HD channels (I think cuz im close to detroit maybe?) almost as if the cable itself is almost enough to pull in the signal of 3 hd channels here, yet when on those channels within about 3-5 seconds of broken signal it says no signal.

I will have to hook up a real antenna and do an AIR search to see what real hd it does pull in and it sounds like i need to hook something up via the component to check that out right away (to see if I have a green tint issue at all), but beyond that I think I will input cable thru a different input (composite from tivo) then use the antenna in for my local HD thru a set of rabbit ears, pc thru vga, xbox 360 thru component (tomorrow ill hook that up and look for green tint traces) and hopefully I will be "OK" on this...

One quick question for those here, would it do me better to buy the warranty thru Olevia (from the card in the tv box) or thru Circuit City (both seemed about same price) just was curious which others are buying if any warranty wise.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1473 Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread42 View Post

I'm new to the HD world. I have a quick question so I know if I need to get an additional cable box or not?

Today I bought the Olevia 232v from CC. With the tuners installed will I get all my digital cable channels and HD through the coax? If so do I need to get the box in order to get my HD channels in 720p? Right now I have a box from them for my old Samsung that requires it to convert the content to HD because it didn't have either tuner installed.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I'm not entirely sure if I understand the question completely, but I'll give it a shot. If this isn't what you're asking, then I apologize. And if I give incorrect information, then someone please correct me. I'm new to this.

From my understanding, the QAM tuner (which is built in to the 232v) will pull in any HD channels (minus the premium content--HBO, STARZ, etc.) offered by your cable company without any HD or digital box. This is done, as you said, all through a coaxial cable. The catch is that this all depends on which cable provider you have. Some, including mine, encrypt these channels, and will only allow you to pick them up with either a digital cable card or an HD/HDDVR box. The 232v does not have a cable card slot, so the latter of the two choices is your only option. Like I said, this all depends on your particular cable provider. Some block the channels, some don't. If you reply with who your cable provider is, someone might be able to tell you if they block the HD content.

As far as picking these channels up in 720p, I believe that this all depends on what resolution the station broadcasts in. NBC and CBS broadcast in 1080i, while ABC and FOX broadcast in 720p.

I hope that I was able to help.
post #183 of 1473 Old 12-17-2006, 10:54 PM

I also have a similar question about cable in line and hd channels, my provider is comcast out of white lake mi 48383, and I did do a channel search thru cable *but wasnt sure if i should do STANDARD AUTO IRC HRC mode scan.

I am running a straight feed cable tv line (no cable box) to the antenna input and have done the cable scan on auto, it does find stuff like weird music channels up at 120.1,2,3,4 etc and i do see like 3 HD channels mixed into the main 60 or so it found however when i put them on the hd channels it shows a blocky pic and then it cuts out within a sec or two saying no signal.

I was thinking maybe the cable itself (and me being close to detroit) the cable itself was picking these stations up almost as if they were ota hd locals and it was pulling in a weak signal as if it was an antenna vs cable line in?

Or is it maybe the channel scan mode i used, irc hrc auto standard etc?

worst case i will be hooking a dedicated antenna upto antenna input for local ota hd, then running my cable line into a tivo then back into the tv via svideo or composite or something.

(sorry to jump into Treads question reply).

Bill
post #184 of 1473 Old 12-18-2006, 12:10 PM

Ok today I hooked up a tivo via s-video and a xbox 360 via component, checked both out on their respective inputs appears both look very good and no "green tint" issues. Pc looks awesome on the vga input...

My firmware ends in .A21 btw for anyone interested.

Got a few more questions on this set.

First green tint thing, I think that has scared me the most about this model, has anyone got the tv, not had the tint issue on component input, then it suddenly developed down the road? Or is it more of a you have a good or bad set type thing?

Second, warranty wise, should I go with the Olevia or Circuit City warranty? Price aside, is one better than the other or are most folks just risking it here and if it lasts more than a yr then we are happy?

Lastly, if I have the svideo component and vga all being used, can I somehow edit out of the "source" rotation the unused inputs like hdmi etc (so I don't have to keep pressing source to get to the next used input).

I wish they made the manual for this in paper, i am going to have to print out the cdrom to read it all...

Thanks,

Bill
post #185 of 1473 Old 12-18-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM View Post

First green tint thing, I think that has scared me the most about this model, has anyone got the tv, not had the tint issue on component input, then it suddenly developed down the road? Or is it more of a you have a good or bad set type thing?

I'm not quite sure on this one. Whenever I first got my 232v, I connected my 360 to it via component cables just to check it out. No green tint. I did not play any discs (DVD or games), but rather only watched videos stored on the hard drive. I was in the process of moving, so I put the tv away at that point. About 2 weeks later, I hooked it up in my new apartment to my DVD player via component, and it then had the green tint problem.

I'm not sure whether or not it only occurs whenever a disc is being played though. If this is the case, that would explain my situation. If it should have been green whenever I initially hooked up my 360, then my set did go from good to bad within a 2 week period.

Others might be able to help you more. I'd just keep an eye on it if I were you.
post #186 of 1473 Old 12-18-2006, 01:31 PM

I am considering the 227V at CC, so this thread really helped me out alot. Somebody should post a "checklist/To Do list" for those of still considering the Olevia.
post #187 of 1473 Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Thank you danforth, you answered all of my questions.
post #188 of 1473 Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danforth View Post

Like I said, this all depends on your particular cable provider. Some block the channels, some don't. If you reply with who your cable provider is, someone might be able to tell you if they block the HD content.

I think I saw Suddenlink mentioned elsewhere as one of the cable providers that block the HD content and was wondering if that's correct.

I plan on purchasing this TV today from CC unless someone here knows the price will fall after Christmas.
post #189 of 1473 Old 12-19-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaeferlight View Post

I think I saw Suddenlink mentioned elsewhere as one of the cable providers that block the HD content and was wondering if that's correct.

Yes, that's correct. I have Suddenlink, and they do force you to rent either a digital cable card or an HD/HD-DVR box from them.

And by the way, atleast in my area, the DVI output on Suddenlink's HD box will not work. You can only run component from the box to your tv set. I learned this after trying a few DVI to HDMI connectors (adapters and cables). They do this so that you are forced to rent an HD-DVR box instead, which has an HDMI output. Just a heads up if that's what you were planning to do. Component does display a great picture from the HD box to this tv though.
post #190 of 1473 Old 12-21-2006, 06:03 AM

Question on Local OTA HD, I went and got a decent powered antenna so I could pull in a bit more channels, I went from 3 (with a 20 yr old set of ears) to 8 with this new one so that was cool, but is there a way on the tv itself to see "SIGNAL STRENGTH" so that I can tweek antenna position to get the best strength on a few weak channels?

Also has anyone figured out how to get the base of this tv OFF (does it even come off?) I am considering mounting this to the wall, my problem is the monitor is positioned in a corner. I would love a mount that I could screw into a stud then have it swivel out and yet still be in the corner like this (do they make one that would work on a tv this big and in that position?). One reason I want to mount it is because I can set it back a bit more that way and because I want it about 6 inches above my desk height here.

Is this tv (the 232v 37 inch) 35.5 lbs as stated on the Olevia webpage - I assume the 45.4 lb rating is the box and everything and the tv itself is 35.5 lbs.

The keyboards and mouse look very close to the screen but when I sit back and type or surf I am a good distance from the screen. The only idea I had was a corner shelf but on a larger scale (like a 27 inch deep arch or something). I was going to hit home depot and lowes to see if they had anything that might work...

Last thing for today, anyone got security ideas for lcds? My 65 inch hdtv is over 400 lbs and was a PAIN in the rump getting in the house, but this is light and easy to walk away with, I am not expecting something to STOP a thief but maybe something that might slow them down or make alot of noise if they do yank and run with it?

Bill
post #191 of 1473 Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM

FTLOSM. I like your computer monitor. I got one just like it.

Has anyone tried updating to the latest firmware (A33-5-2) ? Did it cure any problems?

My 232V came with A33-5.A19.A10.A01.A21 when I bought it. But I haven't upgraded because I haven't had any troubles since I use it for my PC monitor and to watch the news. So if it isn't broke then don't fix it.

This is the info I read on their website about the latest firmware.

Quote:

Olevia - SyntaxBrillian

Firmware Release History

Product: 232-S12
Release Date: 2006-1204
Last Firmware Version: 227 232
A33-5-2
Last Firmware Release Date: 2006-1201

** Warning **
This firmware is only compatible with 232-S12. Please check the back of your Olevia for the model.

Firmware 227 232
A33-5-2
Solve the issues below:
1. Spanish On Screen Display

Firmware 227 232
A33-5
Solve the issues below:
1. DTV position adjustment function.
2. DVI to HDMI (PC): Image is not capture correctly under 1280x768 @ 60Hz.

post #192 of 1473 Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 PM

Mounting issues 232v, Tonight I got an lcd swing arm mount, came home read the directions, thing feels like a TANK, and seems to fit where I need it, all is good, so I turn the tv around to see how it all mounts up all the holes match up great, I am set to start drilling, last second I decided to put the mount ON the tv and mock it up to the wall to determine height with the help of my wife.

Then I realized the holes in back of the set, the metal threaded holes do not even come CLOSE to the positioning of the holes in the black plastic, in fact they are so off I would have to totally destroy the back of the set (the black plastic) just to get a screw into them properly. They are easily 40% covered (out of line) with the metal plate underneath.

Has anyone mounted this tv to a mount and if so was there an issue with the holes in the case being in line with the holes in the metal plate? I planned on mounting this but if it is going to be an issue I might even seriously consider taking it back to circuit city, because I don't want to have to destroy the back of the set just to access the holes for the mount...

Bill
post #193 of 1473 Old 12-21-2006, 09:16 PM

Purchased at CC on black Friday. Beautiful picture, but green then red 2" bars start at bottom and slowly move up horizontally. Had cable guys and power company out. It's the TV.

Olevia support is HORRID. I bypassed and got the corporate number and finally got through and complianed to management. Then I called back supported, waited about 20 minutes and finally someone picked up. After having me unplug/replug in my set, said to take it back to CC for an exchange, which I'll do tomorrow.

Anyone having a problem should call their support number and stay on that line and complian loudly. That's the only way their support will get fixed for future customers.
post #194 of 1473 Old 12-21-2006, 09:18 PM

Forgot to mention. The Circuit City in Clearwater, FLA does NOT require the TV to be in a box to exchange it. Must only have the CD manual and the remote. They didn't give me a problem at all.
post #195 of 1473 Old 12-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Father-in-law bought one last week... no green screen problem on HD OTA. No source yet to
test HDMI or Component HD... DVD over Component works great.

Nice enough picture with SD... doesn't compare the SD picture on the Sony V2500 40" set
he bought for the living room, but it's good enough. HD is very nice and sharp.

Overall, it's a great TV at a normal viewing distance.

Came with A21 firmware. Only one problem with the set so far... in Tampa, FL there's a
channel out of Sarasota (channel 40)... analog 40.0 works great, but both 40.1 and 40.2
with two different antennas lock up the TV.

It'll play for about 4-5 seconds, go black, then audio drops out. I have to unplug the TV
and plug it back in. And disconnect the antenna to get No Signal, or else the problem
repeats as soon as you turn it on since 40.1 was the last channel. All other OTA channels
work fine...

Updated to the newest firmware... didn't help...

Any ideas?

If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...
post #196 of 1473 Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 PM

well right now im typing on my brand new 232v
and playing counter strike source never looked so good
but unfortunately i do have the green tint issue
hopefully circuit citys open tommorow
if not
post #197 of 1473 Old 12-26-2006, 12:22 PM

Turned tv on today got all blue tinting to pic, turned to different input still all blue not cool,,,,, decided to quick call circuit city on this and see if i could go swap it out, mine also had issues with the mounting holes on back (they dont line up) so i would have to drill out the plastic to mount a lcd bracket to it.

Anyways no tv in stock to swap with on 3 closest stores, so i say hummmm ok ill just return it, not so fast, its open box they say and will be a restock fee (even tho the tv is less than 2 weeks old and is acting up). They offer a replacement but cant say when that would be guessing 30 days or so...

So now I have a bluetint 232v they wont take back without a restock fee, and cant give me another one till aprox 30 days they say...

Should have bought a tv at costco I guess... I hear their return policy is much better.

Bill
post #198 of 1473 Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 AM

I took it back last night the guy was snickering when he saw the Olevia box, two other Olevia's behind the return counter already, explained my issues to him said I prefer to return it vs get another (but i knew they had none in stock from website check), manager came up apologized for our trouble and wanted us to take a in store gift card and pick out a new tv or different maker and that if we did he would knock off another 5% for us having to return this one.

I said I prefer to get my money back (paid cash) and that I would look around yet didn't want to commit my purchase to CC with a store credit (depending on what I picked and who had a good sale going etc), he got a bit jerky after I declined his offer, but did tell the guy at the return counter to give me my money back - no restock fees of anykind were mentioned, so the store i called was not correct or was just plain trying to discourage a return of it.

Seems like CC has themselves in a bad situation on this model, I almost took out my cell phone and snapped a shot of my tv and the other 2 olevias behind the return desk but I thought they might get ticked at me even more for doing that...

Bill
post #199 of 1473 Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM

At this time I am back to my 19 inch lcd here man what a difference vs that awesome 32 incher but at the same time this lcd still has over 2 yrs warranty and the 32 incher didnt last 10 days without the problems coming up, hind sight i am glad it happened right away, i bet I would have had more trouble if it was say 48 days into ownership and this happened.

I should have snapped the pic of 3 of them behind counter together but didn't have my money in hand just yet and the mgr wasn't happy that I declined his offer for a different tv, so I figured I better not push it hehe.

I do seriously wish and hope for the best of luck on this model for everyone, i know after using it 10 days it was VERY cool as a tv monitor and for xbox 360, i do miss it but also feel lucky in a way that mine did break so early so that I could return it without having to ship it to Olevia etc.
post #200 of 1473 Old 12-28-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsdesi View Post

I hope others respond to a good question raised...

I would go for CC just for the ease of return and a possibility of an upgrade if the unit dies, say, in 3 years.

The mfg on the other hand will probably hand you the same model leftover refurb from warehouse, that is, after you have proven to them that the unit has a problem.

Having said that, I've never had a chance of testing waters of a warranty purchased at CC. Comments, folks?

I just used my CC extended warranty just on the 3rd year and got the Olevia 32". Waiting for delivery. It was a good investment as they deliver and did not give me a hard tme
post #201 of 1473 Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffer View Post

I just used my CC extended warranty just on the 3rd year and got the Olevia 32". Waiting for delivery. It was a good investment as they deliver and did not give me a hard tme

Thanks for a feedback. I assume you bought a 32" three years ago? As you would find out from this forum, The Olevia 232 could be a nightmare.

I have another question: if a unit fails and CC is unable to provide replacement but offers to return the money, does warranty cost becomes a total loss? Or can it be prorated?

Meanwhile, my second unit is working fine, and I like the picture quality.
post #202 of 1473 Old 12-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Picked up this TV today at CC. Not happy with CC customer support with regards to coupon acceptance but that is another story.

After taking the TV out of the box, I tried all sorts of different configurations. Fortunately, no green tint issues. Calibrated the TV with Avia.

- Contrast needed to be suprisingly high, at ~3/4 up, with brightness back at ~1/3. I noticed only two color temps: 65K and native. To be honest, Native looks better to me. Flesh tones are a bit red and contrast needs to be toned down when using native but the colors pop out alot better on native. I am going to try to tweak the tint to squash the red flesh tones without offsetting the colors too much.

I saw this mentioned once in this post and am suprised it has not been mentioned more: If the TV is set in any light mode other than "bright," this extremely annoying buzzing/humming is present with no volume or when changing channels. I might need to call CSR about this and it is a definite reason to return to CC if I am ultimately dissatisfied or if I find another deal come up.

SD is mediocre. My 51" Toshiba HDCRT is much better; partucularly with its stretch mode feature. HD and 480p look great on this LCD though in my opinion.

I can also confirm that ps2 will not fill the screen in component. All in all, the Olevia aspect modes are mediocre at best. What use is the "panorama" aspect for anyways?

The remote sucks too as mentioned before. It is flimsy and frustratingly unresponsive.

Even with my bitching, I am leaning towards keeping it.
The foundation of this TV is great in that 480p or greater looks nice. Its too bad that they didn't bother to address some of these minor points.
post #203 of 1473 Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM

I've been reading about everyone's green tint problem here and I think my problem is somewhat related. I have the 232v just like everyone else and it gives a beautiful picture using the component cables. However, I just got my DVI-HDMI cable today from bluejeans and my picture is now a 35mm negative. Reds are blue. Blues are Red and greens, whites and blacks appear to be normal. I thought it might be the cable so i went to the store to buy a different cable....nope, same problem. The funny part is that the picture is perfectly crystal clear, it's just a negative. Oh yeah, i have Cablevision in Northern NJ. Any suggestions?
post #204 of 1473 Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 PM

My new Olevia 232v does not have the green tint issue as described but I have on some occassions noticed a couple of green flickering horizontal lines when switching channels - is this an early sign of the problem?? The tv is connected to a digital cable box via component video inputs.

Another possible issue might be crackling voice on a couple of occasions, although I suspecting this to be in the input signal and possibly not a problem with the tv itself.

Should I think about returning/exchanging it while it is still under the 30 day return policy?

Very happy with the picture otherwise! Just don't want to get stuck with a defective unit.

Incidently, my firmware is also the one ending with .21.
post #205 of 1473 Old 12-30-2006, 12:16 AM

I got mine black friday and love mine. After reading about the green tint issue, it's got me worried about my set. I havn't hooked it up to any component outputs so I hope everything is ok with that. HD channels look great and same with VGA. I tried the TV at my parents house and the HD signal was clear. The only problem now is at my appartment, the signal gets blocky and the sound skips out sometimes. Maybe I need better cable wires?

hope I don't get any tint problems
post #206 of 1473 Old 12-30-2006, 07:49 AM

I have only used mine as a bedroom tv watching over the air HD seems ok but now I'm tempted to take it back and upgrade to CC 37" Panny plasma or the LG 32 LCD as this thread has me concerned
post #207 of 1473 Old 12-30-2006, 10:25 AM

I just set up my Olevia 32" and I absolutely love it! I am so impressed with the PQ! The sound disappoints somewhat, but if you get an HDTV and watch it without some kind of surround sound system, you don't need a plasma or LCD in my opinion.

I think the worst part of this tv is the remote. The remote seems if the company ran out of R&D money in the middle of design and "function" phase. The response time of the remote is left to be desired. I use a universal remote so it's not so much of an issue for me, but I know others have discovered the lack of use and functionality of the remote.

THe PQ is outstanding for the money. I have my Moto 6412 dual tuner DVR with my cable company and hooked up the box using an HDMI cable. I haven't compared apples to oranges yet with HDMI and Component hook ups, but HDMI projects a great signal. HDTV is simply beautiful! DVD player is hooked up via Component cables the the PQ is also great.

One thing I have discovered about his LCD TV is that it displays "blacks" and "reds" very well for the price range. Out of the box, the tv does need to be set to your desired levels of viewing. After about an hour of setting the video to my needs, the picture blows me away. I thought I would tell my story since owning it for about a week now, and I absolutely love this TV.

A good leader inspires people to do things they wouldn't ordinarily ever do.
post #208 of 1473 Old 12-30-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post

I just set up my Olevia 32" and I absolutely love it! I am so impressed with the PQ! The sound disappoints somewhat, but if you get an HDTV and watch it without some kind of surround sound system, you don't need a plasma or LCD in my opinion.

I think the worst part of this tv is the remote. The remote seems if the company ran out of R&D money in the middle of design and "function" phase. The response time of the remote is left to be desired. I use a universal remote so it's not so much of an issue for me, but I know others have discovered the lack of use and functionality of the remote.

THe PQ is outstanding for the money. I have my Moto 6412 dual tuner DVR with my cable company and hooked up the box using an HDMI cable. I haven't compared apples to oranges yet with HDMI and Component hook ups, but HDMI projects a great signal. HDTV is simply beautiful! DVD player is hooked up via Component cables the the PQ is also great.

One thing I have discovered about his LCD TV is that it displays "blacks" and "reds" very well for the price range. Out of the box, the tv does need to be set to your desired levels of viewing. After about an hour of setting the video to my needs, the picture blows me away. I thought I would tell my story since owning it for about a week now, and I absolutely love this TV.

I also have to agree after having this set up in the bedroom for about a month now my only complaint is a bit of motion lag. The image is absolutely stunning even before you bring the price point into consideration.

I think the publicity of the QC issues are to be expected in a product that had to have sold how many 10's of thousands of units in like a one week time frame

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #209 of 1473 Old 12-30-2006, 01:20 PM

1. Should I be concerned about the hoizonatal flickering green lines that I noticed on the top of screen a couple of times when switching channels - could this be an erarly indicator of the green tint issue or some other problem?

2. The border lines in the window box that the SD channels play in are jagged (as if hand-drawn, although not quite as bad as truly hand-drawn might be). There is also some bleeding around the borders at times, where the left border line appears much darker (think bolded) than the right border line.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated. At this time, I am leaning towards taking it back, but want to rule out 'normal' behavior.

Thanks!
post #210 of 1473 Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 PM

half life 2 in 720 p looks extremely nice on it via vga

but for some reason I had the green tint problem with this tv in the first day
but the next day I tried it again and it was gone
well makes me happy that I dont have to go back but kinda wierd lol
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags