Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusansky View Post

Just in case anyone followed my longwinded cry for help on page 2, here's an update. =)

Can anyone tell me what their normal TV volume bar looks like? Is it half way full? Or like mine, 1/5th.

Thanks

My normal TV volume bar is like 1/5th, at most. I think you probably had it up too far before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netstroller View Post

I did run into a couple of problems or user error. One is I have my Panasonic ES45 DVD recorder connected via HDMI, and I can't get the picture to fill the screen on any widescreen DVD--tried all the aspect settings but no luck.

Most DVDs will not completely fill the screen. Our TVs are 16:9 (which works out to about 1.78:1 aspect ratio). Many DVDs are anamorphic, which preserves the original theatrical ratio. Meaning something like 2.35:1 - wider than the TVs. Look on the back of the DVD box, and it should give you the aspect ratio. The old "square" tvs are like 1.33:1. That's my understainding at least.
post #93 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rob View Post

Most DVDs will not completely fill the screen. Our TVs are 16:9 (which works out to about 1.78:1 aspect ratio). Many DVDs are anamorphic, which preserves the original theatrical ratio. Meaning something like 2.35:1 - wider than the TVs. Look on the back of the DVD box, and it should give you the aspect ratio. The old "square" tvs are like 1.33:1. That's my understainding at least.

Actually most movies are 1.85.1, so there are small black bars.

There are some Widescreen movies that are shot at 2.35:1...and these will produce huge black bars.

EDIT: Looks like I am wrong here again...every HD DVD I looked at while at Target was listed as 1:2.35 or 1:2.4...hmmmm I could have sworn I took that info from here at AVSForum.

HD DVD:38
BR: 51+ 23 from the WB Red2Blu promo
post #94 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rob View Post

Mine seems to slowly be getting more uniform as well. Strange. I wonder what causes this.

Just guessing, but it could be that the backlight bulbs need to "break in", i.e. age somewhat in order to even out, and/or the LCD opaqe-ness improves as the liquid crystal material heats and "breaks in".

I would suggest that people with backlight uniformity issues leave their 542i on all day before leaving work, turn off only for bedtime. See if backlight uniformity improves after two or three days before considering returning.
post #95 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 05:49 PM

Anyone wall mount their 542?.I bought a sanus universal mount.
The mount comes with all differents types of metric screws but none fit.

I had to make the holes bigger and the m6 screws did in fact fit.
post #96 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushman View Post

Anyone wall mount their 542?.I bought a sanus universal mount and found that the holes in the back of the t.v. are not metric,but standard screws.
The mount comes with all differents types of metric screws but none fit.
I bought #12x1/2" screws they were the right fit and matched up length wise so I put them in.
I thought the screw holes are supposed to be metric.What gives?.

I think NASA designed the VESA mount .
post #97 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Use a M6 X 16mm, available at Home Depot, (labeled as a 6mm x 16mm in the yellow nut/bolts bins).

Is this what you used?,or has anyone been able to put a metric screw into the screw holes?.

I already feel uneasy about not using the supplied hardware,and now I'm just confused.
post #98 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 06:44 PM

ok for those of you lucky enough to get in on the BF deal on this.. i got a few questions..

first off.. i was unable to get the $ in time to get in on this deal.. stupid paypal.. but i can get it locally for $1145 tax included.. would that be a good deal on this set still?

also.. has anyone hooked it up using vga just wondering if it will do the 1360x768 as posted earlier or is that with the dvi to hdmi cable? I want to use this for mostly xbox360 and a htpc so i need to know..

what wall mount are you using? i see one on monoprice thats like $25+sh.. will this work for the 542i?

i know everyone is happy with the picture..etc.. so hopefully someone can answer my original question.. i dont want to wait again to see if there are any other deals.. after much research i think the syntax/olevia 542i is the one i want.. so again is $1145 tax included buying it locally a good deal on this as well.. i still see it over 1300+ even on buy.com..

thanks in advance..
post #99 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 PM

Brpc,
The tv indeed does 1360x768 and it looks really good.(thanks polypro) I had it hooked up via vga and watched a couple clips from some movies. It is really impressive. I want to get a DVI to HDMI cable and use that instead of vga although there are no problems with the vga. Also I'm not positive but I bet the price on this set could go down alittle right before x-mas you might hold off until then if you are in no real hurry.
For those interested I used theatre tek and FFDshow to upscale a dvd on my htpc and I could actually tell a difference in sharpness!! The only problem was that my P4 2.4 GHZ couldn't hack it at the level of upscaling that I wanted to do (1440x960). If anyone has some good tweaks/settings for this tv in FFDshow please share.
post #100 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappcatt View Post

Actually most movies are 1.85.1, so there are small black bars.

There are some Widescreen movies that are shot at 2.35:1...and these will produce huge black bars.

The problem I'm having is I don't just have the top and bottom black bars on these movies, I have about 6" of black on all four sides. If I do Zoom 2 it does make the image bigger but I still have about 3" of black on all four sides (measurements are just eyeball estimates BTW). I think this is only on the HDMI input, TV seems fine. I'll try the composite and SVideo inputs later when I can get at the TV again.
post #101 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilingfool View Post

Three4Seven and jpb1978,

I was the poster of the original issue listed above by Three4Seven. I have checked my firmware level, and discovered that my set was shipped with firmware 542-B11-060807A. There is only 1 newer revision available (Firmware 542-B11-060831C). The release notes from Olevia for this latest release say...

Solve the issues below:
1. Main-> TV analog, Sub->HDMI
Choose screen to Main source, use up and down to choose VGA_component. Then let OSD disappear automatically. Press right key to sub picture and left key to main picture, there's no audio out.
2. Press "Freeze", then press "Mute" and "Mute" again. Picture wasn't frozen.
3. When the input is tuner and the screen is in 1:1, Aspect, panoramic, Zoom1 or Zoom2, I execute the ¡§Auto¡¨ or ¡§Cropping¡¨ function. The screen will become full screen.

None of the listed items appear to be related to the problems that Three4Seven and myself are having.

That being said, I do plan to bring my laptop home from work tomorrow night to perform the upgrade. I will let you know if it makes a difference.

Also, my local Microcenter is unsure when they will get another shipment. If they do not get more in the next 15 days, I could have issues with the return/rebate. The rebate paperwork needs to be mailed within 15 days! I may also try calling Olevia support tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Three4Seven - what firmware revision does your set have????

Thanks,
Tom

Well, no luck for me... I was able to download the latest firmware this evening, and perform an update to the 542i. I am still having the issues with the noise blocks on a power up. Again, this only happens when the set has been off for a while. I have to power down and power back up to get a normal picture. Sometimes it take 3-4 power cycles to get back to a good picture. Looks like I will be heading back to Microcenter tomorrow to see what they can do. If they are still out of stock, I may end up calling Olevia to see how to proceed

Three4Seven, were you able to resolve your issue without getting a replacement unit?

Thanks,
Tom
post #102 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxx View Post

Hello netstroller,

I have the same problem when trying to upgrade the firmaware I get an error saying that the erasing failed.

Were you able to find what was wrong and do the upgrade?

I found this page while google-ing for the firmware, it seems to be a newer version than the one posted at olevia's website: this one is 542-B11_060831D.zip
64.168.125.230/support/Syntax/Television/Firmware/

Did anybody tried upgrading to this one?

fxx - I haven't any luck yet. I think the problem is the firmware downloader doesn't recognize my current firmware. I notice before it fails, it list a log entry of "unknown firmware" or something like that. I'll see if I can download the version on your link and try that. I'm hoping it'll fix my widescreen zoom/aspect issue.
post #103 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:05 PM

First, for those of you having firmware issues, have you checked to see that you have the correct com port selected? I had trouble updating the firmware yesterday, but when I selected the correct com port it worked.

Second, I managed to remove the speaker and lower the display but I can't seem to get the screws back in. Does anyone who has successfully lowered the display know if the screws do go back in? I tried searching to no avail.
post #104 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpc View Post

ok for those of you lucky enough to get in on the BF deal on this.. i got a few questions..

first off.. i was unable to get the $ in time to get in on this deal.. stupid paypal.. but i can get it locally for $1145 tax included.. would that be a good deal on this set still?
thanks in advance..

I paid a few dollars more than that for mine. It's a matter of personal value whether it's worth that much money, but if you want it I think it'd be hard to beat that price especially getting it locally where you can exchange it easily if it's bad--seems a lot of bad ones. There's rumors it might get cheaper around or after Christmas, but who knows for sure whether that'll happen or if there'll be enough to go around it they did get that cheap. I missed the MC BF deal because the Cambridge ran out of them early and didn't get any more in the afternoon AFAIK. I got mine from mwave, so far it seems I have very even backlighting and no dead pixels and I'm really happy about that--but I have a HDMI display size problem and having errors when trying to update the firmware.
post #105 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 PM

Hello - my first HDTV - waited in the cold since 10PM previous night at MC and have finally setup this TV

My question: I can't seem to setup PIP on the other screen (trying to do split screen) - now I got the tuner PIP to work but the other screen is stuck in HDMI and I can't seem to use the source button to make another selection - getting 'failed to change source' error message.

The CD manual is useless! I searched and nothing relevant to my question could answer it...

any suggestions/help is appreciated!
post #106 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:16 PM

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have Windows Vista on a laptop and it found the correct port and I had no problem updating the firmware. As far as the backlighting is concerned, my set seems to be getting better too. Has anybody calibrated their sets with any of the DVD's available? I have one on order but would be curious to know what settings others are using on their sets.
post #107 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM

You can change it in the menu but to do it quicker. Hit the SWITCH button on your remote. This switches the main screen that has audio output and then change the source using the SOURCE button. Then switch back if you want to listen to the other source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sap1437 View Post

Hello - my first HDTV - waited in the cold since 10PM previous night at MC and have finally setup this TV

My question: I can't seem to setup PIP on the other screen (trying to do split screen) - now I got the tuner PIP to work but the other screen is stuck in HDMI and I can't seem to use the source button to make another selection - getting 'failed to change source' error message.

The CD manual is useless! I searched and nothing relevant to my question could answer it...

any suggestions/help is appreciated!

post #108 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:36 PM

Vista just has better port recognition. On the firware update program screen it asks you to select a port. Make sure you choose the correct port. It is most likly the highest number. It is because it creates a new ghost port after you install the USB software that comes with the firmware update.

Now that I mention that make sure you update the firmware port software before the firmware update itself.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4100 View Post

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have Windows Vista on a laptop and it found the correct port and I had no problem updating the firmware. As far as the backlighting is concerned, my set seems to be getting better too. Has anybody calibrated their sets with any of the DVD's available? I have one on order but would be curious to know what settings others are using on their sets.

post #109 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:48 PM

Post 40 of this thread gives one persons settings you can try. There are a couple others in other threads but not for this exact model. It is good you are getting the DVD disk. I read somewhere that it is a good idea to recalibrate every few months. If you go to www.pcmag.com they have a link that describes in simple terms how to set up basic functions using the Incredibles DVD.

I am curious if it makes a difference on whether you need to use a computer or HD-DVD to set the TV rather than a basic DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4100 View Post

post #110 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 08:59 PM

Do we trust a firmware version not posted on the official website? I personally will wait until they officially post it. How can we be sure to do this is realy a syntax website an not a website of someone else that has bad purposes? Would you void the warrenty by installing an unapproved version of their firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxx View Post

Hello netstroller,

I have the same problem when trying to upgrade the firmaware I get an error saying that the erasing failed.

Were you able to find what was wrong and do the upgrade?

I found this page while google-ing for the firmware, it seems to be a newer version than the one posted at olevia's website: this one is 542-B11_060831D.zip
64.168.125.230/support/Syntax/Television/Firmware/

Did anybody tried upgrading to this one?

post #111 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netstroller View Post

fxx - I haven't any luck yet. I think the problem is the firmware downloader doesn't recognize my current firmware. I notice before it fails, it list a log entry of "unknown firmware" or something like that. I'll see if I can download the version on your link and try that. I'm hoping it'll fix my widescreen zoom/aspect issue.

OK - firmware updated! The firmware at the previously posted location worked for me. Here it is again: //64.168.125.230/support/Syntax/Television/Firmware/542-B11_060831D.zip

And my HDMI problem was a user error, I needed to adjust my DVD recorder for the right output (new recorder just hooked up today). Good luck with your update.
post #112 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb1978 View Post

Do we trust a firmware version not posted on the official website? I personally will wait until they officially post it. How can we be sure to do this is realy a syntax website an not a website of someone else that has bad purposes? Would you void the warrenty by installing an unapproved version of their firmware?

I guess I was the guinea pig LOL. Every is fine so far AFAIK.

Maybe someone can trace the owner of this IP address for us.
post #113 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 PM

I just hope it was their final version of the firmware. If it is not you may need to uninstall it and re-install the correct and new version if it is further updated. Maybe a call/email into Olevia tech support will give us a good idea of this firware's validity. I just sent an email (it claimed they would "get back to me very soon" - I wonder how VERY soon that will be. Anyone who is already calling please ask this question and report back.

post #114 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 PM

I just updated to the latest firmware without any problems. I had MCE 2005 installed and it didn't give me an option of selecting another comp port. I could hit the arrow down but only one showed up "com 3" everything went smooth. Don't think it did anything really important but at least it works right? I used Avia to calibrate my set but the dumb thing is that there are no values to be able to post here. There is only a little slider with no numbers for , "brightness" and all that. Anyway I'm going to use DVE to recalibrate just to see the difference in pictures between the two calibration software. I'll try and give an estimate of where the arrow is on the slider.
post #115 of 1469 Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 PM

In case there are folks who are not aware of Monoprice.com, make sure you check it out for your cable needs.

They have the cheapest HDMI cables I could find. In addition, they have just renewed their stock of their 2x1 HDMI switch, which will come in handy for the 542i since it only has one HDMI port.
post #116 of 1469 Old 11-28-2006, 03:44 AM

If no one else does it first, I'll post my calibration numbers in a day or two. Since the "marker arrow" doesn't change unless you hit "Enter", you can take the setting down to "0" and just count up back to the arrow...that should give us a "number". I'm connected via DVI>HDMI from an HTPC. I ue the "GetGray" calibration disk from this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586139

P
post #117 of 1469 Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Just guessing, but it could be that the backlight bulbs need to "break in", i.e. age somewhat in order to even out, and/or the LCD opaqe-ness improves as the liquid crystal material heats and "breaks in".

I would suggest that people with backlight uniformity issues leave their 542i on all day before leaving work, turn off only for bedtime. See if backlight uniformity improves after two or three days before considering returning.

Since this is my first HDTV, its hard fro me to figure out if my set is having backlighting issues . Are there any pictures or benchmarks that i can compare with ? Is there anything on the TV/ Remote that can adjust the Backlighting ?
post #118 of 1469 Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 AM

Some good news for the folks that live in and around Dumfries, VA. Comcast will add the same HD lineup as Mannassas. This will happen this evening. It will mean a few more HD channels to gaze at. This is what the reps at Comcast told me. They update their lineups at around 8 in the evening. At least now, the two In Demand channels added will be all HD. Also ESPN2 and TNT and some more Movie Channels. The more the merrier.
post #119 of 1469 Old 11-28-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buytamil View Post

I purchased a 542i from MC. I am a newbie to LCD. How do i find the firmware. How do i identify the issues you guys are discussing. It looks fine to me. Is there a test DVD I can run to see the correctness. One issue i found was after auto channel search, the TV shuts off. This has been fixed using Firmware 542-B11-060807A. I will be updating the Firmware 542-B11-060831C. Also If i have an older firmware before Firmware 542-B11-060807A, do i need to update Firmware 542-B11-060807A before updating latest one.

You can get the firmware from Olevia.com, go to "Futre Proof My TV" and enter the serial number. The site is a little convoluted, you may have to register also. There is also a link for a 060831"D".zip in this thread, that some have installed with no issues. Others are waiting 'til it's posted on the official FW page. You can update to the latest version, you don't have to step through each one. As far as backlight uniformity, if it looks good to you, that's all that counts You can put up a black or gray background with a PC or calibration disk and check it out. The uniformity seems to get better with use, I and a few others have seen this. Like you, mine was not bad to start and I didn't notice it while viewing content.

P
post #120 of 1469 Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 AM

where can i get the calibration disk. Is the following firmware 060831"D" fixes some issue. if so what are they.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page