post #1441 of 1469 Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
gkd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortcard View Post

You were getting the - channels for free. They are the ota for scrambled channels.

If the provider changes the frequency you will not be able to get them again.

Seems that's what Comcast has done. They did it in my area about three years ago. I called Olevia customer support and they told me I had been stealing signal. If I wanted to receive them I had to pay an upgrade to my cable provider.

The reason the tuner just shows the channel number and then skips is because it knows there is a signal there, but it is not a signal it is able to process, as it has been scrambled to a different frequency.

Yea, I miss my "adult" programing I was getting for free also. C'est la vie!

Yeah, I had thought this may have been the reason also, but then why would both DVD recorders still be able to receive all the digital channels? I can't remember if I reprogrammed them after this situation arose, but probably not. If the digital channels are now encrypted, just remembering their translation from received frequency to displayed channel ID (from earlier recorder programming) wouldn't help in any decryption. So, I'm still stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1469 Old 03-20-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:

I suggest anyone needing firmware upgrade info to contact these people below.

If after you contact them you are unable to get the files you need from them, then send me a private email and I will send them to you.

I attempted to post them here but the files exceed, by a lot, the sizes allowed.

You will need to have a gmail account as this is the only server out there, of which I have an account, that will allow these sizes.

There is a company Olevia contracted to offer customer support, Emergence Technology. Their telephone number is: 1-866-965-3842 and they can be reached Mon-Fri 0700-1800 PST.

They may be able to tell you if parts are available (I got a new remote from them after the original 'died' - I had to pay!) and whatever else you may need.

I remember they also sell kits for wall mounting and changing the location of speakers.

Good Luck!!

How 'bout posting your files to this site?
http://forums.newagekllrz.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17

See this avs post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17175929
post #1443 of 1469 Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:

The "old" Olevia is no longer in business (Syntax-Brillian Corp.)

The product line is now being handled by another "Olevia: company out of Honk Kong.

There is a company they have contracted to offer customer support (Emergence Technology.) Their telephone number is: 1-866-965-3842 and they can be reached Mon-Fri 0700-1800 PST.

They may be able to tell you if parts are available (I got a new remote from them after the original 'died' - I had to pay!) and whatever else you may need.

I remember they sell kits for wall mounting and changing the location of speakers.

Thanks for the response. I'll give them a call.
post #1444 of 1469 Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimedad View Post

I Purchased the 542i-B12 February 2009 and up until late Saturday night (9/12/2009) I have loved it. I turned off the TV to go to bed only to return a few minutes later to try and turn it on. Well, the blue led on the front of the set was furiously and intermitently blinking and a corresponding soft clicking sound and it will not power up. I turn off the power switch on the back toggle, let it rest for a few hours on Sunday to no avail. I switched where it was plugged in on the power strip to no avail. Every time I switch the back toggle switch on the blue blinking and soft clicking return and it will not turn on...

Hi there - new around here. I purchased my 542i in Dec 2006; a couple months ago I started having power-related issues, similar to what was mentioned above. The blue standby light would turn off when I pressed the power button, but then nothing would happen, and the blue light would come back on. The only way I could get it to turn on was by unplugging the TV and then plugging it back in.

Just a couple weeks back, even the above method stopped working -- the TV was completely dead. I took it in for a diagnosis ($60), and I just found out that it needs a power supply; the technicians have it up and running, but they told me it's going to be $257 to pay for the repair.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the money to fix it. Oh, by the way, there is a vertical line burned out on the display, about 12" away from the left side of the screen. If it was your money, would you pay to get it fixed, or cut your losses and buy new?!? Appreciate anyone's input... Thanks!
post #1445 of 1469 Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetreasurefine View Post

Hi there - new around here. I purchased my 542i in Dec 2006; a couple months ago I started having power-related issues, similar to what was mentioned above. The blue standby light would turn off when I pressed the power button, but then nothing would happen, and the blue light would come back on. The only way I could get it to turn on was by unplugging the TV and then plugging it back in.

Just a couple weeks back, even the above method stopped working -- the TV was completely dead. I took it in for a diagnosis ($60), and I just found out that it needs a power supply; the technicians have it up and running, but they told me it's going to be $257 to pay for the repair.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the money to fix it. Oh, by the way, there is a vertical line burned out on the display, about 12" away from the left side of the screen. If it was your money, would you pay to get it fixed, or cut your losses and buy new?!? Appreciate anyone's input... Thanks!

Can you buy a used 42" tv for $257?

Personally I'd get it fixed. It is a good time for an upgrade to 1080p, but these tv's are still great as a backup or bedroom tv.

PSN: ziggy1979

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1446 of 1469 Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintz View Post

Can you buy a used 42" tv for $257?

Personally I'd get it fixed. It is a good time for an upgrade to 1080p, but these tv's are still great as a backup or bedroom tv.

It's possible that I could buy a used 42" TV for $257, but if I wanted to spend $257 on a used 42" TV, I'd just go ahead and get this one repaired. My concern is this -- how much longer can I expect this 542i to last? Since I started having problems with this set, I've found a lot of unhappy owners online, and I'm afraid of putting the $257 into something that's not going to be reliable for the long haul. My intention is to use this as our primary, daily, family TV set. If it's already got 1 vertical line burned out, how long before another, and another, etc...? And since the OEM power supply was not available, the repair center had to just use off-the-shelf parts to fix the existing power supply -- how long before that breaks again? If I knew that I could get another 2+ years out of the Olevia without any more issues, I'd go ahead and pay to get it fixed...

It's tempting to put the $257 towards a new set -- there's a 42" RCA 1080p at Walmart for $499 right now, and a 42" Sharp 1080p at Dell for $599 right now. Hmm...
post #1447 of 1469 Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to perform an auto scan on my 4 years old Olevia 542i TV connected to an indoor antenna, but the progress bars are not moving at all, and seems like its not even starting to scan.
Does anyone know what am I missing?
I have already changed the settings to 'Home' from 'Showroom'

The screen color turns to black background first and immediately turns to blue. It stays like this and no movement in progress bars at all.

Is it my TV settings or my indoor antenna?

Thanks
post #1448 of 1469 Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 AM

Can someone point me to the latest firmware for this TV (and USB driver).
Olevia's website is seems to be down already?
post #1449 of 1469 Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaridi1 View Post

Can someone point me to the latest firmware for this TV (and USB driver).
Olevia's website is seems to be down already?

Check the link in my sig. I saved a couple files that might be what you are looking for.

post #1450 of 1469 Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Check the link in my sig. I saved a couple files that might be what you are looking for.

Thanks a lot for the link.
Is there any procedure to do the upgrade?
Also,
Do you know the reason why my TV is not Auto scanning for OTA channels?
post #1451 of 1469 Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

No clue, sorry.. I just helped save the files

post #1452 of 1469 Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM

is my digital tuner dead? Its the first time since I bought the tv in 2006 that I am hooking up an antenna to it.
I expect the progree bars for Analog and Digital to atleast move...... and also the background becomes black first and then it gets blue, Can someone ATLEAST tell me that when you guys do auto scan is the TV background blue or black and are the progress bars moving at all if NO signal is present or are they not moving at all ?

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated as to how to successfully start auto scan.

I have already upgraded the firmware but it doesnot do any help at all.
post #1453 of 1469 Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

I cant remember the screen color, but if you can see the progress bar, thats all that matters. My progress bar usually jumps up at least 50% pretty quick as it is scanning.

I can't say what the cause is for it not working, do you have it set to antenna? (instead of cable?)

post #1454 of 1469 Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:

I cant remember the screen color, but if you can see the progress bar, thats all that matters. My progress bar usually jumps up at least 50% pretty quick as it is scanning.

I can't say what the cause is for it not working, do you have it set to antenna? (instead of cable?)

Do you mean in the channel setup OSD select "Air" ? I cannot see any setup option for "Antenna/Cable" .
post #1455 of 1469 Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaridi1 View Post

Do you mean in the channel setup OSD select "Air" ? I cannot see any setup option for "Antenna/Cable" .

yeah that sounds correct

post #1456 of 1469 Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetreasurefine View Post

It's tempting to put the $257 towards a new set -- there's a 42" RCA 1080p at Walmart for $499 right now, and a 42" Sharp 1080p at Dell for $599 right now. Hmm...

This is probably after the fact by now... But I would not put that much money into this TV now. I also wouldn't go with the RCA or Sharp, probably have better luck with Vizio on the economy end, and prefer Samsung or Sony, though no brand is without risk. Prices seem to have been dropping faster that usual in the past few months, and you might also find some good deals on clearance.

Last Christmas we got a 52" Samsung with free Bluray player and 7" LCD TV delivered after taxes for $1078 at Sears. A couple of months ago my brother got a discontinued 55" LC for $999 shipped no tax. 46" came as low as around $700. I see no reason to put $257 into an orphaned TV that has marginal performance to begin with.
post #1457 of 1469 Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 PM

Walmart has this for $599 with free shipping plus sale tax at the moment: Philips 47'' Class 1080p LCD HDTV, 47PFL3704D/F7

Not sure if I can link it here but here it's where it's supposed to be: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-47...4D-F7/11089878
post #1458 of 1469 Old 01-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Does anyone have a file with all of the IR codes used for the 542i?. I can find a file in the 542i thread that has the DISCREET INPUT codes that made the TV easier to use a couple of years ago for me.

But I received for Christmas a small Device from REDEYE (the Mini), that hooks to the iPhone and will control my TV, AV Receiver, and TIVO, etc.

But the Company had none of the CODES for any of my gear.
Now they say they have the JVC receiver, and Tthe HD DVD Player.

I would like to submit the codes to them, so their code guy can implement.

Anyone have "ALL" the I R Codes in a file? I have searched up and down the thread, and tried REMOTE CODES site, and havent got it yet.

Do have just the INPUT codes: pronto codes 542-b12.txt <-- from this file.

Thanks
post #1459 of 1469 Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Has anyone ever found out how to access the Service Menu for the 542i so that it can be professionaly calibrated?
post #1460 of 1469 Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM

For anyone looking to purchase the main board or power supply for the 542B11, they can be purchased from CCE Parts. They have the cheapest price I could find. I just ordered the main board from them because my tuner fails. They also carry other misc parts too - just search for 542B by item description.

Main board:

https://cceparts.com/productdetail.asp?a={1B162132-0629-4749-B89E-A42A9495E28E}&PartNumberKey=OLSC0-P501201-MI8

Power supply:

https://cceparts.com/productdetail.asp?a={1B162132-0629-4749-B89E-A42A9495E28E}&PartNumber=EEC-PWFSP27G002&ID=&PartNumberKey=OLEEC-PWFSP27G002
post #1461 of 1469 Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM

I replaced the main board and now my 542iB11 is working as good as new. I also replaced all the capacitors on the power supply as well. Even if yours seem to be working fine now, I suggest that you change the power supply or replace all the capacitors on the secondary side of the power supply as I think if the power supply fails, it will damage the main board. It's very easy to do.

BTW, I have had mine since 2006 and use it at least 8 hrs a day everyday.
post #1462 of 1469 Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votinh View Post

I replaced the main board and now my 542iB11 is working as good as new. I also replaced all the capacitors on the power supply as well. Even if yours seem to be working fine now, I suggest that you change the power supply or replace all the capacitors on the secondary side of the power supply as I think if the power supply fails, it will damage the main board. It's very easy to do.

BTW, I have had mine since 2006 and use it at least 8 hrs a day everyday.

Hi! I checked out CCe parts, I am looking for a tuner. I can't get mine to auto-search. was wondering if my tuner was hosed. know where I can get one for my 542 B11? thanks
post #1463 of 1469 Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 PM

If the off the air channel auto search stuck and does not progress, your tuner is probably toasted. Unfortunately, the tuner is part of the main board so you will need to replace the whole main board. Very easy to do just like changing out the main board in your computer. You could try re-soldering all the joins around the tuner section in case it was caused by cold solder joins.

I also suggest you replace all the capacitors on the power supply too by purchase one of those repair kit from Ebay such as http://cgi.ebay.com/Repair-Kit-Olevi...item2a0d920fa9
post #1464 of 1469 Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 PM

[quote=Votinh;20440684]If the off the air channel auto search stuck and does not progress, your tuner is probably toasted. Unfortunately, the tuner is part of the main board so you will need to replace the whole main board. Very easy to do just like changing out the main board in your computer. You could try re-soldering all the joins around the tuner section in case it was caused by cold solder joins. "

i can only get as far as the menu to do a channel scan, then it just doesnt go any farther, it doesn't start the scan. thanks for the heads up as I thought the tuner was a seperate board. this tv is probably 5 years old but got little use. I think the capacitors are probably ok, although I looked at the kit. I could probably do that NP
post #1465 of 1469 Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 AM

finally mine has started to not power on.. have to unplug and try it a few times before it will power on.. ordering the capacitors today.. see if that takes care of it.. its been a great tv up til this point..
post #1466 of 1469 Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 AM

installed new capacitors.. it came right back up.. works fine.. however.. the tuner still has problems picking up HD channels.. up to the point where I am looking at replacing this with a new LED LCD.. its been a good tv..
post #1467 of 1469 Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Has anyone replaced a power supply in a 542-B11 recently?

My set recently died, and I ordered a replacement power supply from CCE Parts.

Unfortunately, I could not reuse the existing wiring harness as the sockets on the new power supply are slightly different and the old connectors will not fit.

Fortunately, the new power supply comes with a new wiring harness, but I ran into a problem. The connector to one of the back-light assemblies is different; it is too large (13 pin connector, but 12 pin socket), and will not plug in.

On both sides, the board is marked pins 1-5 is +24v, pins 6-10 is ground, pin 11 ts BRI, and pin 12 is on/off.

In the old wiring harness, both sides had no wire at pin 5.

The new wiring harness on one side has all 12 wires present, and the other side (13 pin connector) has 12 wires (5 +24v, 5 grounds, an empty pin, then the remaining two).

Both the old and new power supplies have the same model number FSP271-4F02 Rev 10.

I called CCE parts and they verified I ordered the correct part. They even pulled another power supply from stock and checked the cable ends; one was 12 pin and the other was 13 pin, same as the one they shipped me. My TV has 12 pin sockets on both sides.

Would I be safe in re-pinning the connectors to match the original? Should I have a +24v wire on pin 5?

Anyone run into this problem with their 542-B11?

This TV had an excellent picture, and I hope I can repair it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Randall
post #1468 of 1469 Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Found a link to the 437 s11 firmware. Thought I would post it here.

http://www.undercoverinsurance.com/info/wp-content/uploads/437_S11_061218A.zip
post #1469 of 1469 Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM

hello,
was reading your post from quite a long time ago and my folks have a Olivia that needs firmware update and I would appreciate if maybe you still had the zip file and if so could you email to me please?
my gmail is raykuhl2158@gmail.com and my yahoo is ray.kuhl@yahoo.com tahnks in advance. Ray Kuhl
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page