Olevia 42" LCD Model 542i - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With so many folks having bought the 542i model this week I am proposing starting a separate thread for Olevia model 542i . If the moderator and everyone agrees, we can all post our experience/ issues through this thread.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Just hooked up the 542i i bought yesterday from MC . Initially i was not getting the local channels through my Antenna ...figured out that i has selected 'Showroom' Power up settting instead of 'Home'..once i changed it to 'Home' the next selection automatically calibered the analog/ digital channels.
Have'nt spent much time in calibrating ..but after watching the local channels off the air and a Dreamworks movie (Over the Hedge) my first impression have been good. The set looks impressive and the performance have been good so far .The firmware update is great feature and after registering my Sr. No on the olevia website , i have just downloaded the latest firmware update on my computer alongwith the instructions.
My next step would be to download the firmware update on my TV and play with some of the settings (including black levels) to make sure everything is fine. Also i want to have the speakers mounted on the sides and would try this in the last after i am done with all my settings.
post #3 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 08:14 AM

Just got one yesterday from MC. HDTV looked great, SD was acceptable, then I threw in Saving Private Ryan at night with the lights down. With the lights off, the dark scenes made a problem with uneven backlighting very obvious. I'll be returning it today due to the backlighting issue.
post #4 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 09:22 AM

I can't log onto the Olevia site here at work. Security.

There was a thread that had an ip address for downloading the 542i manual, and the instructions for upgrading. I searched and cant seem to locate it.

If someone knows I might be able to download it here and then print.

Yes, I noticed when it was on black, and not just NO signal blue, that there was some areas of dark and lighter dark. Dont know how it will be during a dark movie, however.

Do have a 542 unrelated problem, with electrical bars generated up the screen. Will have to play with the ground.
post #5 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I snagged a 542i at Microcenter yesterday morning. I arrived at the store around 4:45am, and there was already 200-300 people in line!

Yes, I see uneven back lighting when it displays a black field. I do not notice it displaying anything other than black, including red, green, blue, yellow and white fields, and no issue with normal color video images.

I am downloading the latest 542i firmware as I type this from olevia.com, apparently along with everyone else, as the download speed is extremely slow, slower than a good dialup connection .

After about an hour of playing, I am very comfortable with the menu system.

Overall, I believe this is an outstanding 42" 768p panel for the money, and worth well above even the before rebate price.

A pleasant suprise is that the 542i discovered OTA HD channels from my WOW basic cable. I subscribe to analog basic only. It appears that WOW is sending OTA HD in the clear in SE Michigan. Bye, bye, antenna (though I will keep for backup ).

All the analog cable stations were added fine. After tweaking the bright/ contrast/ color, and noise reduction settings, most analog cable stations look very good, similar to SD digital.

One annoying issue is the Channel Return feature won't jump between an analog cable staton and one of the HD digital stations which are assigned 200 and higher. The button will switch to the analog station, but when I try to jump back to the digital station, I get the No Signal bluescreen.

Also, I cannot Add a channel with more than 2 digits to the channel lineup, or directly key in/tune any of the digital HD channels- I must go to my last analog channel 116 (color bars) then use the Up channel button to tune the first digital channel! Channel changing is relatively slow, compared to my prior Winbook 32", which has the fastest analog cable channel changing I've ever seen. Hopefully, these issues will/are fixed with a firmware update.

The 542i is an upgrade from a Winbook 32" LCD for me. I believe the build quality of the 542i is as good or better than the Winbook it is replacing, with better noise reduction algorithms for analog cable channels. However, I see obvious dot crawl on thin horizontal blue and red lines, such as on screen graphics on the news channels. I am not certian if this is a noise reduction artifact, or comb filter issue.

Black levels are certainly not best in class for 42" LCD's, but after tweaking, most scenes look acceptable to me. In bright scenes, blacks appear black. In low contrast/space scenes, the grayish blacks may bother black level-philes.

HD channels like PBS and live football look excellent, on par with my AE700 projector, with slightly less punch, though calibration may improve punch/dynamic range. My media PC at 1360x768 60Hz looks great over VGA- pixel perfect, no muss, no fuss, perfectly readable at 10ft with stock XP Classic desktop icons and fonts.

The amount of inputs, combined with 1:1 mapping for all sources (!) makes this set worthy of consideration.
post #6 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microman66 View Post

I can't log onto the Olevia site here at work. Security.

There was a thread that had an ip address for downloading the 542i manual, and the instructions for upgrading. I searched and cant seem to locate it.

If someone knows I might be able to download it here and then print.

Yes, I noticed when it was on black, and not just NO signal blue, that there was some areas of dark and lighter dark. Dont know how it will be during a dark movie, however.

Do have a 542 unrelated problem, with electrical bars generated up the screen. Will have to play with the ground.

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/firmware/f...structions.doc

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/firmware/f...31C-083106.zip

found these at the site but for some reason product manual will not come up on Olevias site sorry
post #7 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/firmware/f...structions.doc

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/firmware/f...31C-083106.zip

found these at the site but for some reason product manual will not come up on Olevias site sorry

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/support/pd...542_060524.pdf

got it for you
post #8 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 10:44 AM

hi all out there who braved the lines on black friday!
I too got a 542i on friday, after selling my 342 on thursday to my brother in law for 1000.00 (he suggested the price, he wanted silver)... anyway I wonder what you guys think about this...... long turn on times? it takes 12 seconds to get a picture, 9 if you count the olevia logo. I also noticed the picture not being quite as sharp as the 342... on sd stuff
havent hooked up HD yet.... Hope comcast does same thing as WOW does (i.e. hd terrestrial over the cable line)... any body have any time issues.. Or is there a firmware upgrade for the unit i have to look for?

whats your guys opinoins.. and the bet as to how long it will take to get my 200 bucks back

matt V the man who is always upgrading changing trying out new stuff, boy oh boy will i ever settle down?
post #9 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivee View Post

hi all out there who braved the lines on black friday!
I too got a 542i on friday, after selling my 342 on thursday to my brother in law for 1000.00 (he suggested the price, he wanted silver)... anyway I wonder what you guys think about this...... long turn on times? it takes 12 seconds to get a picture, 9 if you count the olevia logo. I also noticed the picture not being quite as sharp as the 342... on sd stuff
havent hooked up HD yet.... Hope comcast does same thing as WOW does (i.e. hd terrestrial over the cable line)... any body have any time issues.. Or is there a firmware upgrade for the unit i have to look for?

whats your guys opinoins.. and the bet as to how long it will take to get my 200 bucks back

The slow power up is a known issue.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...i-LCD-TVp1.php

I just finished updating the firmware in my 542i to the latest from olevia.com. It didn't appear to change anything obvious- same slow power up, and still can't key in digital stations directly, nor use Channel Return between analog and digital stations. I assume this could be fixed in a firmware update, and further assume it is related to switching between NTSC/ATSC/QAM. I think the set stays in NTSC mode when using the Channel Return button, rather than swithcing to ATSC/QAM (I don't know if WOW is sending the digital clear channels as ATSC or QAM).

The sharpness difference you see could be the difference in scalers. The 342i has the Pixelworks scaler. The 542i uses the MTK MDDI video processor. Also, scaling down the same number of pixels (1366x768) into a smaller area (32" vs 42") can make the image look sharper.
post #10 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Question 1: Anyone else noticing a blue line at the bottom of their picture? I have installed the firmware update and it changed the line from a yellow line that moved black packets across it. I am going to try and get one of the calibrating DVDs or CDs to try and help me.

To clarify this blue line goes away when I play XBOX360 (an HD Source). The line exists when I watch my Direct TV through my old TIVO Series 2 (4yrs old). I can not wait to move out of this apartment complex. I am in a high end apartment in Houston and they misled me to believe we had true Direct TV. It is through AT&T and is a split signal and sucks. If I would have known this I would have gotten a south facing window.

Question 2: Does anyone know the TIVO code to set the TIVO remote for this TV? I have set up the Olevia remote for TIVO *code 1111* but I am used to my Tivo remote.
post #11 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 03:11 PM

Hey guys,

Me and a friend both bought the 542i and having played with it for a day have started noticing the uneven backlight issue. Its come to a point that its unbearable and glaringly clear and obvious... I read others are having this issue but not all are complaining.Is this acceptable to you guys or is this not a common issue? I am guessing since both me and friend noticed it and some people on this forum did as well..its a matter of time till everyone starts noticing this backlight issue... This backlight issue is only visible under a black scene or background. U will probably not notice it under the color vibrant scenes (Though after identifying it now I see it even in the bright scenes..Damn it!!!!!!!)

Very disturbing..have to return it if this is an issue which i am guessing is more to do with the panels itself and not the technology etc usually fixed by firmwares.

Please voice out if u notice this issue...
post #12 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 03:59 PM

I notice backlighting in the upper right corner during dark scenes. It really doesn't bother me that much. This set is just a practice set anyway. It will be moved to the living room this summer when I purchase a larger and hopefully better set for the family room. For the price, I really can't complain to much. This set is a learning and practice set for me. Great for learning tweaking, calibration, and testing different devices and getting them all working.
post #13 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

I am happy with the picture for the price...but the easy/basic stuff on this TV is annoying.
Does anyone have a contact info for Olevia/Syntex-Brillian. The contact FAQ on the Olevia site does not look good for customer interaction.

Here is a list of EASY changes which could be made to the firmware that would make this TV so much more user friendly.

1) Ability to disable/lock out inputs that you are not using. I do not use s-video, nor composite.

2) List settings in numerical format instead of just the stupid line. The scale does not matter. It could be different for each setting if needed.

3) Let us "Name" digital channels. You can add your own name to analog channels, but they do not allow you to add a reasonable name to digital channels..so you have to memorize that 84.5= NBC SD...lovely!!!

4) Allow remote control input while menu is displayed. At least volume controls...though I would like most functions to work.

5)Not firmware, but tell us what numbers to use to control this with universal remotes.

6) There is a calendar issue with the month of November..not an issue to me, but a poster in the other thread is bothered by it.

A couple of other changes which might be harder or impossible to make on this TV.

1) Make discrete access of inputs(so you don't have to scroll through)

2) Show all inputs in 1 screen and let you use the remote control to select the one you want(either by number, or with the movement arrows)

3) Ability to lock out analog channels, just showing digital ones. My cable company sends every channel digitally. I would rather never watch an analog channel on a HDTV.

4) Have a less annoying screen showing while tuning to an input which does not have a signal..that braight blue is annoying.

5) Change the menu control. I know they brag about how it is out of the way, but it SUCKS!!! I just set up my tuner and I have 200+ channels...to delete a useless channel is a 6 perfect click excercise in futility!!!

6) Faster start up time.

EDIT: I just found out that it does not "keep" all the channel skip entries. Each time I turn on the TV, the stupid music channels are no longer skipped...This SUCKS!!!.
They need to have a Channel Remove option, instead of just skip...kinda like TV's from 10 years ago had...

HD DVD:38
BR: 51+ 23 from the WB Red2Blu promo
post #14 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 08:13 PM

not sure if anyone is experiencing this problem. I have my ps2 hooked up through RCA and i feel that the images are ery blurry. Also the time is not as sharp/bright. I am not happy with the pictures I am seeing because of the blurriness.
post #15 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 08:33 PM

RCA - Component which on this TV has issues. I bought it for HD pictures on a main stay. My suggestion is to get a XB 360, or PS3. I have heard there is a HD upgrade chip for PS2 you might look into that fix.

I think SD sports looks horrible on this set but HD looks good. Great value, I have a friend who is using it as his main living room TV and considering what he had, HE IS HAPPY.

I just hope they implement some of the suggestions above, especially the source changing issues and menu issues, I dont like the WHEEL of menues, LOL....
post #16 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 08:59 PM

Does anybody know how to get to the backlight settings on this set? Is there a sub-menu that can be tunneled down to?
post #17 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyanoyo View Post

not sure if anyone is experiencing this problem. I have my ps2 hooked up through RCA and i feel that the images are ery blurry. Also the time is not as sharp/bright. I am not happy with the pictures I am seeing because of the blurriness.

I do not have a PS2, so I am not sure by "RCA" if you mean component(3 plugs) or composite(1 yellow plug). If it is composite..it will suck.

What ASPECT(button on the remote) are you using? Try to see if you have the option for ASPECT or 1:1. If the TV is having to scale/stretch your images, they will be blurry.

"Also the time is not sharp/bright" Not sure what you mean by that....you know that you have conrol over sharpness and brightness of the set, correct?

post #18 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 09:40 PM

I actually ordered the 537H TV online yesterday. It should be very similar to the 542i, just with a smaller screen and non-detachable speakers. It has not shipped yet so I at least until Monday to decide if I really want the TV.

i ordered based on positive impressions in the New Olevia Models thread and the review on audioholics.com

today i went to CC and CUSA to check out the Olevias, and I don't think I was very impressed. compared to Samsung, Sharp and JVC the black levels seemed poor, colors weren't as vibrant and the picture wasn't as sharp. overall, the picture seemed washed out, and just didn't have that "pop" to it. granted, neither CC or CUSA carry the 5 series or any model with the MDK chip. i saw several models with the ATI and Pixelworks chips. to me, the 337H with the Pixelworks chip looked the best.

knowing that Olevia uses LG panels, i also checked out some LG LCDs. i wasn't impressed with these either as they also seemed to share some of the same problems. is this what LG panels are like? is it possible that the stores just didn't have them set up right? will the 5 series with the MDK chip look better than anything I saw today?

i bought this TV because it seemed like it offered great quality for the price. however, if i'm not happy watching it, the purchase doesn't make much sense at all. i'm really hoping that you guys will say the TV is better than my impressions at the stores, but either way, your honest opinion would be appreciated.
post #19 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb1978 View Post

I think SD sports looks horrible on this set but HD looks good.

Definately...as is expected.

Aspect is the only way that I can watch SD Sports, if it zooms, it gets too blurry. I tried 1:1 once, but it is just to small for my viewing distance...but is the same quality as any other TV at that size....

post #20 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 09:55 PM

i've also found a couple more reviews of the 542i if anyone's interested:

http://peripherals.about.com/od/disp...olevia542i.htm

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-inch-lcd.html

and for the sake of completeness, here's the previous audioholics review that we've all read:

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...i-LCD-TVp1.php
post #21 of 1469 Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 PM

If the price difference for the same size TV from Sharp Aquos is within your budget, I would go Sharp. Many of us bought our TV's at BF rates and price is important. Wait and see if there are any after Christmas sales if you can wait. If not try and get a good deal on a Sharp. Go to pcmag and look at their August review of the Sharp TVs. I go with a rule that says I spend $500/yr on a TV. I have an old 50" CRT Sony (8/yr old - $3200) that is now going to my younger brother. I have a 2/yr old 50" Samsund DLP - I purchased at $2300. I figure this will hold me over for 3 more yrs then I will upgrade to whatever the next XBOX after 360 uses. Who knows maybe it will be 1820p. LOL. Technology changes ... aren't they fun. I wonder when we will not have TVs but 3D holographic projectors.
post #22 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 12:33 AM

To any pros out there can you please post your settings for the best quality picture? TIA
post #23 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb1978 View Post

If the price difference for the same size TV from Sharp Aquos is within your budget, I would go Sharp. Many of us bought our TV's at BF rates and price is important. Wait and see if there are any after Christmas sales if you can wait. If not try and get a good deal on a Sharp. Go to pcmag and look at their August review of the Sharp TVs. I go with a rule that says I spend $500/yr on a TV. I have an old 50" CRT Sony (8/yr old - $3200) that is now going to my younger brother. I have a 2/yr old 50" Samsund DLP - I purchased at $2300. I figure this will hold me over for 3 more yrs then I will upgrade to whatever the next XBOX after 360 uses. Who knows maybe it will be 1820p. LOL. Technology changes ... aren't they fun. I wonder when we will not have TVs but 3D holographic projectors.

price was important as I ordered it from J&R. having second thoughts now tho. initial reviews seemed good, but more and more people are now sharing their experiences, which are not so good.
post #24 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_lo View Post

price was important as I ordered it from J&R. having second thoughts now tho. initial reviews seemed good, but more and more people are now sharing their experiences, which are not so good.

you may want to search this forum about the sharp aqous. IIRC theres a thread floating around about the problems with them
post #25 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_lo View Post

I actually ordered the 537H TV online yesterday. It should be very similar to the 542i, just with a smaller screen and non-detachable speakers. It has not shipped yet so I at least until Monday to decide if I really want the TV.

i ordered based on positive impressions in the New Olevia Models thread and the review on audioholics.com

today i went to CC and CUSA to check out the Olevias, and I don't think I was very impressed. compared to Samsung, Sharp and JVC the black levels seemed poor, colors weren't as vibrant and the picture wasn't as sharp. overall, the picture seemed washed out, and just didn't have that "pop" to it. granted, neither CC or CUSA carry the 5 series or any model with the MDK chip. i saw several models with the ATI and Pixelworks chips. to me, the 337H with the Pixelworks chip looked the best.

knowing that Olevia uses LG panels, i also checked out some LG LCDs. i wasn't impressed with these either as they also seemed to share some of the same problems. is this what LG panels are like? is it possible that the stores just didn't have them set up right? will the 5 series with the MDK chip look better than anything I saw today?

i bought this TV because it seemed like it offered great quality for the price. however, if i'm not happy watching it, the purchase doesn't make much sense at all. i'm really hoping that you guys will say the TV is better than my impressions at the stores, but either way, your honest opinion would be appreciated.

Here is my take on brand names. They are good ( and pricey too !!) but a lot of them change their sets totally to US requirements for eg last time I researched and bought the best DVD player of Toshiba only to find that it does not runs all types of DVD/LCD/Music CD's..a cheaper DVD player like Apex was more Interpolable and flexible..quality wise not much of a difference for the price spent.
Likewise before buying this brand i visited MB forums for Sharp and Sony LCD's and found folks with serious problems/ issues alongwith happy owners as well. I think that buying a Sony/ sharp LCD is not a gurantee of problem free LCD. The pressure of turning out thousands of LCD's to the US market during holiday season is equal for all manufacturers and anyone can have quality issues, so the probablity of you getting a faulty set is equal irrespective of the brand you buy. My decision to go with Olevia 542i was the versatility and the value it offered for the price. At this point if something is not working working to satisfaction, it may be due to lack of knowledge/ information on the settings.So far it has been really good and i will report more when i fine tune the settings, before passing the final judgement.
post #26 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 10:43 AM

I'm wondering if anybody has successfully mounted the speakers on the sides. Do you need to purchase any extras to do that? A picture would be nice, too
post #27 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doradee View Post

I'm wondering if anybody has successfully mounted the speakers on the sides. Do you need to purchase any extras to do that? A picture would be nice, too

optional conversition kit from Olevia like 175 dollars IIRC
post #28 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doradee View Post

Yes, there's an option for vertical mounting, can be purchased from Olevia or possbily your dealer can order it.

I love the fact you can remove them and lower the set. Makes the height damn near perfect in my setup.
post #29 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 11:19 AM

On the 542I...can't you just flip the Metal mounting Bracksets around and mount with them(for Side mounts) ? I haven't givien it a shot bu the screw holes are there..and the cut outs... Maybe it will only take putting a could of new holes in the Metal mounts...

??
post #30 of 1469 Old 11-26-2006, 11:24 AM

Finally got everything hooked up temporarily last night and integrated the set into my Harmony 880 remote programming.

Cons:
1. Input selection- this set has exactly 10 different inputs, to have my Harmony have to sequential go through them takes time. As someone previously stated, having an IR code to do direct input selection would be a major win.

2. Black detail- I haven't done an extensive calibration yet, but with just the THX Optimizer one can see the lack of black detail.

3. Channel tuning times- a bit slow, but this won't be an issue once I use the cable company's HD STB

4. Menu system- it sucks. Plain and simple.

5. Instruction manual- like so many other ones out there, you'd think they'd spend a few $$ to have someone with professionl proof-reading skills check it. There are so many grammatcial errors (like "expect" instead of "except"). Don't let the engineers who's second language is English write the user manuals!

Pros:
1. Built-in QAM tuner- this is a real BONUS since they don't even advertise this feature. I'm currently using the TV wihout my cable box. Picked up all the analog cable channels plus all he HD ones sent in the clear (all local channels). This is exactly what I wanted since I'll eventually move this set into another room and I won't have to rent another cable box.

2. Detachable and reconfigurable speakers- The fact you can detach them AND lower the set on the stand is a great feature which took forethought. Many sets costing twice as much don't have this.

3. SD channels aren't that bad, it really depends on the source. Some cable channels look like crap, some quite good for SD. I keep the aspect ratio set to "Aspect" so that SD channels get zoomed up vertically but not stretched (HD channels auto-adjust). Bottom line: you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

4. You simply can NOT get a 42" flat-panel for under $1000 (BF price) that looks as good as this. In fact, you can't get one at all. I watched "Chihuly Over Venice" on PBS HD this morning and it was fantastic. One can see the amazing clarity of the mind blowing glass structures and chandeliers the artist creates, it's like you are looking at them in person.

5. Firmware upgradable- again, usually sets twice the cost don't have this feature.

The biggest drawback I see is the black details, but this to be expected with LCD technology. But for the unheard of price I paid for it on BF, this set is definitely a keeper!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page