Official Olevia 537H, 437V & 237V Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3181 of 3190 Old 11-28-2014, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
You're going to need to explain it a little more. When you say artifacts does it appear as noise or some other kind of interference?
You have a black area of a scene, including letterbox bars. It gets red splotches, digitized and semi-static, i.e. the edges vary bit by bit but the shape stays ~the same. Around a face, you get a similar effect but not all red.

Quote:
In the meantime you could always try resetting the TV to factory defaults. That would give you a good idea of whether or not the problem is due to a setting adjustment you made.
I had read here of some secret front-panel button sequence to put it in a test mode, but can't find that post now. I'll try the factory reset, but not until after Grimm is on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3190 Old 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
You have a black area of a scene, including letterbox bars. It gets red splotches, digitized and semi-static, i.e. the edges vary bit by bit but the shape stays ~the same. Around a face, you get a similar effect but not all red.

I had read here of some secret front-panel button sequence to put it in a test mode, but can't find that post now. I'll try the factory reset, but not until after Grimm is on!
That doesn't sound promising. I'd try the reset and see if that helps but somehow I doubt a setting could cause an issue like that.
post #3183 of 3190 Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
That doesn't sound promising. I'd try the reset and see if that helps but somehow I doubt a setting could cause an issue like that.
Nod..
I'm reading Black Friday ads for another set.....

I'm trying a DVD and the results look similar. The mystery is the menus, solid colors, are all stunning. But people's faces look blotchy as well.

Last edited by mkfs; 11-28-2014 at 09:01 PM.
post #3184 of 3190 Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Olevia 237V... still watching since Feb 2007. my original 537 died and was replaced by this under warranty It is now located in the basement as my workout TV... still using it for about 10 hours a week. BTW, this TV was made in Taiwan.

Thus far, I have had only one cheap LCD/LED TV die on me... the original 537. Since then, I have the 237, a vizio and THREE Element TVs, and all are still alive.

BTW, the worst color comes from the 50" $220 walmart Element that I got this year. No tint control... I have to go to the service menu and modify tint. The original colors were horrible and every red looked pink. If I hadn't discovered service mode, I would have returned the set. Further, it has horrible wide angle viewing!

This Olevia, OTOH, still displays beautiful color at wide angle. If I get as good a service from my other sets as I have from this early 37" set, I'll be happy.

Last edited by obeck; 01-08-2015 at 11:40 AM.
post #3185 of 3190 Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 254
When I still had the 237 several years ago, my sister made a comment about the TV that still sticks out in my mind. When she was over visiting my place and viewing the 237 from an angle, she asked, "Why does it look weird like that?". "Like what", I reply. "I don't know, sort of hazy or fuzzy, I guess", she explained.

She still had a CRT TV at that time and wasn't yet familiar with the Achilles heel of (most) LCD TV technology, the substandard off-center viewing quality. I've always been mildly fascinated by the subset of LCD owners who seem non-cognizant of this off-center picture quality degradation. While it's still a very watchable, decent picture, it's clearly diminished in quality. If this lessened color accuracy and contrast were also present when viewing from dead-center, those same people would probably flip out at how mediocre the quality was. Curious phenomenon.

post #3186 of 3190 Old 01-21-2015, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey everyone (if anyone is still here),

I've had my 437-S11 for ages now, but the HDMI port went out (there was a bent connector inside that I couldn't get to work anymore). I considered having the HDMI port replaced, but then decided to buy a board online.

The board came in and I installed it, and when I connect the power, the blue standby light turns on and everything.

However, when I push the power button, the blue light goes out, but I don't get any sort of picture. I put my old board in, and the same thing happens except with a pic (the screen comes on) - I have the back opened so I can watch the lights on the board go on and off.

I'm thinking that the new board needs to be flashed to a different firmware (if not just the original). Is there anyway to do this now? I've found a bunch of links on this forum, but almost all of them are dead/broken, and I don't have any of the software.

Does anyone out there have the MTK software for installing the firmware, as well as the USB driver and a 437-S11 firmware file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this doesn't work, I'm thinking of returning the new board, and going down to a game repair shop to see if they can replace my HDMI port.

Thanks in advance!!
post #3187 of 3190 Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeck View Post
Olevia 237V... still watching since Feb 2007. my original 537 died and was replaced by this under warranty It is now located in the basement as my workout TV... still using it for about 10 hours a week. BTW, this TV was made in Taiwan.

Thus far, I have had only one cheap LCD/LED TV die on me... the original 537. Since then, I have the 237, a vizio and THREE Element TVs, and all are still alive.

BTW, the worst color comes from the 50" $220 walmart Element that I got this year. No tint control... I have to go to the service menu and modify tint. The original colors were horrible and every red looked pink. If I hadn't discovered service mode, I would have returned the set. Further, it has horrible wide angle viewing!

This Olevia, OTOH, still displays beautiful color at wide angle. If I get as good a service from my other sets as I have from this early 37" set, I'll be happy.
Hey obeck,

Do you still happen to have the software and firmware for the 237? I've read that it's compatible w/ the 437.

Anything would help really.
post #3188 of 3190 Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farner View Post
Hey everyone (if anyone is still here),

I've had my 437-S11 for ages now, but the HDMI port went out (there was a bent connector inside that I couldn't get to work anymore). I considered having the HDMI port replaced, but then decided to buy a board online.

The board came in and I installed it, and when I connect the power, the blue standby light turns on and everything.

However, when I push the power button, the blue light goes out, but I don't get any sort of picture. I put my old board in, and the same thing happens except with a pic (the screen comes on) - I have the back opened so I can watch the lights on the board go on and off.

I'm thinking that the new board needs to be flashed to a different firmware (if not just the original). Is there anyway to do this now? I've found a bunch of links on this forum, but almost all of them are dead/broken, and I don't have any of the software.

Does anyone out there have the MTK software for installing the firmware, as well as the USB driver and a 437-S11 firmware file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this doesn't work, I'm thinking of returning the new board, and going down to a game repair shop to see if they can replace my HDMI port.

Thanks in advance!!
Send me PM. I have the flash for 537-s11 firmware and also have the 237T firmware and instructions. Everything you need will be there. I need an email address that accepts zip files. Gmail usually bounces.
Bernie
post #3189 of 3190 Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post
Send me PM. I have the flash for 537-s11 firmware and also have the 237T firmware and instructions. Everything you need will be there. I need an email address that accepts zip files. Gmail usually bounces.
Bernie
Could I also get the firmware from you? I pm'd you my email address. There are links in this thread but they are all dead now bc Olivia is out of business.
post #3190 of 3190 Unread Today, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderhan View Post
Could I also get the firmware from you? I pm'd you my email address. There are links in this thread but they are all dead now bc Olivia is out of business.
You need to send me private mail through this forum. I did not get it. Make sure it is not a gmail address as sometimes zip files bounce. Just click on my name in blue. It will open a link to send private mail
Bernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page