Official Olevia 537H, 437V & 237V Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered my 537H from TD at 10:40 pm on Black Friday with standard ground shipping from UPS. It is now Wednesday morning and still no TV. My UPS tracking number says I am on time for Thursday 11/30/06 delivery. Interesting variation in arrival times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_lo View Post

if you have cable, your cable company sends sends digital channels via unencrypted QAM. if you have a QAM tuner, you can pick these up without the use of an external cable box. some cable co's have more QAM channels available than others.

according to type7 tho, it seems the 237 has QAM as well. the fact that he picked up his neighbors' VOD is an example of what you can do with a QAM tuner.

readdressing your original question, the 537H has a universal remote as well. the warranty is a 1 yr onsite warranty while for the 237, you'd need to send it in. also, it looks like TD is actually a 48 hour deal, but I don't know when it began.

the logos are on a sticker which you can easily peel off. IMHO, the casing looks a lot better in person than what you see on the web. in person, i actually like the H style casing better than the V style because it looks sleeker with the speakers on the bottom. I prefer both to the looks of the 542i casing, which has bigger speakers on the bottom.

Is VOD Video On Demand? If so, how can the signal be received if it is wired? I am a newby to alot of this tech stuff, so please pardon the sophomoric questions.
post #93 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghrob View Post

I ordered my 537H from TD at 10:40 pm on Black Friday with standard ground shipping from UPS. It is now Wednesday morning and still no TV. My UPS tracking number says I am on time for Thursday 11/30/06 delivery. Interesting variation in arrival times.

What variation?

David
post #94 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian View Post

What variation?

David

Perhaps my post was inane blather. I meant variation in that some posters ordered their tv's Monday and have them Tueday evening. Perhaps they ordered different shipping methods, perhaps different vendors have different distribution arrangements with various shippers. It is these differences in the shipping process and subsequent variant arrival times that I seem to be musing about. Mine seems like a pointless post the more I think about it.
post #95 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 AM

Ordered my 237 from Newegg on black friday. Received it yesterday as the tracking said I would. Box was in good shape and not as big as I thought. Opened up and inspected. Everything looked good. Stand is already on unit- no assembly needed. Connected my cable directly into the Cable TV 75 ohm connector for now just to try it out. Did the channel search and it found several digital and analog channels. The only thing I found is the digital channels fail to show video for some reason but I didn't have too much time to fiddle last night. I am getting an HD cable box today anyway so I will figure it out and get back to the list here. Overall, The SD PQ is as good as my 32" Sony Trinitron after doing some tweaking of the pic options on the Olevia. Sound is better than I expected. Even using the Pana mode stretching the video out, it wasn't too bad. I don't know how good the built in tuner is on the unit. Maybe my signal isn't good enough coming in to get the digital channels, I don't know. More experimenting is needed on my part later today. I was going to cancel my order and get the 537 from Tiger but decided not to. The minor differences were not worth me taking a chance on losing this deal when I saw some people had their orders cancelled. The Firmware is the most up to date already in the unit. I printed the manual out in advance of getting the unit from downloading it from the Olevia web site. Anyone have any ?'s feel free to ask.
Bob
post #96 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 AM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghrob View Post

Perhaps my post was inane blather. I meant variation in that some posters ordered their tv's Monday and have them Tueday evening. Perhaps they ordered different shipping methods, perhaps different vendors have different distribution arrangements with various shippers. It is these differences in the shipping process and subsequent variant arrival times that I seem to be musing about. Mine seems like a pointless post the more I think about it.

Mine was shipped from a town in Illinois, ordered on Friday 11/24, actually picked up by UPS on Monday AM, arrived yesterday 11/28 PM in Augusta, GA. I believe a lot of the variation is due to geographical location and where a UPS hub is located relative to your location.
I picked mine up at the UPS facility because the Info Notice said he had attempted to deliver at 11:00 AM and would do so again today, and I work until 4:30 PM. I asked and they said you can call and change he delivery location to a UPS store and pick it up from there before they attempt the first delivery if you will not be at home. The drivers are working until 8 PM these days so if you pick it up at the local UPS facility it will be 8 PM or after.
Box was intact, not one dead pixel, looking good with just the component intputs, still waiting for the HDMI cables from Monoprice. And your heart will flip when you first turn it on and you wait 10-15 seconds for it to light up.
post #97 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 AM

How long has it been taking for Newegg to ship orders from Thanksgiving weekend sales? I ordered the 237V from Newegg on Sunday (11/26) and haven't received a shipment email yet.

Thanks!
post #98 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I purchased my 537H several weeks ago from PCConnection at a reduced price with free shipping, so if anyone is looking for this set, I can recommend this company as I have been dealing with them for years on their affiliate, MacConnection. The price has gone up twice since what I paid, and now it is down again, but still greater than what I paid:
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=7242141

If anyone has had any luck programming the Comcast remote control with a manufacturer's code, please post it. The response from Olevia did not work for any of the codes supplied, and the Olevia remote, while it will control the Motorola box, leaves alot to be desired.

I have not had time to calibrate the panel using the Avia disk, but the overall picture quality is quite good out of the box. I'm a bit put off by the dark gray bars when watching a DVD, but I have yet to play with the room brightness settings which may help this. Right now I have it set to "medium", but a "dark" room setting may lower the backlight, giving a better black level. I need to try this!
post #99 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 AM

I'm jealous of all you guys that are getting yours. I ordered my 537 on the day after BF through target since I had a bunch of gift certificates from my wedding. Ended up only costing me around $300 outta my pocket but this wait is killing me. Right now on the website it says the estimated ship date is 12/30

It's said 2-6 weeks when i ordered and my dreams of 2 weeks doesn't look like it'll be a reality
post #100 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Guys, please also remember this:

After they drop off the tv at your house, PLEASE let it warm up to room temperature BEFORE you plug it in! This comes from an old-time electronics board level repair tech. If the tv is cold enough when you power it up, you will discover a phenomenom know as "The popcorn effect".

Trust me, you DON'T want to know what the popcorn effect is first-hand....

This is true of any electronic device, but especially newer stuff that's more susceptible to it.
post #101 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post

Guys, please also remember this:

After they drop off the tv at your house, PLEASE let it warm up to room temperature BEFORE you plug it in! This comes from an old-time electronics board level repair tech. If the tv is cold enough when you power it up, you will discover a phenomenom know as "The popcorn effect".

Trust me, you DON'T want to know what the popcorn effect is first-hand....

This is true of any electronic device, but especially newer stuff that's more susceptible to it.

What about in Florida where it is 78 Degrees F out?

-Mark
post #102 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post

What about in Florida where it is 78 Degrees F out?

-Mark

Pack ice around it to cool it down first. Otherwise you get the "goosebumps" effect where the LCD panel gets little bumps all over it.
post #103 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 01:51 PM

First post here... Ordered a 537H from Tigerdirect at 7pmEST on 11/27. Received it 3pm today (11/29). And that was Supersaver! Probably has something to do with it being shipped from IL and I'm in OH. But TD did a great job at getting it out the door.

First HDTV and/or LCD TV, and I think it looks great! Although SD stuff through my Tivo doesn't look great up close, it looks at least as good as my regular 32" I had before. Xbox360 (through component) looks great.

I'm still playing with it and setting it up, but so far I like it a lot.
post #104 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM

Got mine at lunch time today also. Hooked my computer up to the VGA port, but when I set my graphics card to 1360x768 I get huge black bars (around 15% of the screen size on each side) on the sides and it looks like it is being squeezed horizontally. I think maybe I need to set the TV to 1:1 pixel mapping and maybe it will fix itself. (didn't have time yet). Any advice about what the settings need to be when connecting to my computer? (6600 GT NVIDIA video card)

-Mark
post #105 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't done it, but yes, you'd want to set the TV to 1:1 for the computer resolution. I reset my high def cable box to pass 720p and the 4:3 Override to 480p, and the picture is definitely better with these settings, mainly reducing artifacts on standard def signals.
post #106 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Hello all, got a 237 from Newegg delivered today. Fired it up and it looks great with the 360. I don't get cable/sat and was planning on doing HDTV OTA, but this T.V. is not being cooperative. I plugged in my amplified semi-directional antenna pointed to the correct location (according to antennaweb) and it will pick up all of my analog channels but not even one digital channel. I know for a fact that there is 5.1, 8.1, 8.2, 11.1, 11.2, 13.1, 13.2, 17.1, and 17.2 broadcast in my area. I used to have a Radioshack Accurian OTA tuner box, but sold it as this T.V. has an ATSC tuner built in.

Any suggestions? Do I have to switch a mode on the tv or something from regular standard def tuning to ATSC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
post #107 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Haven't done it, but yes, you'd want to set the TV to 1:1 for the computer resolution. I reset my high def cable box to pass 720p and the 4:3 Override to 480p, and the picture is definitely better with these settings, mainly reducing artifacts on standard def signals.

I set the TV to 1:1 mode, but I still get this funky (squeezed picture) when I set my NVIDIA 6600GT to 1360x768. In fact, the highest resolution I can get perfect pixel mapping is 1280x768, which looks gorgeous btw, but I'd like to use a little more of my screen. I even tried 1288x768, 1296x768....ect., but they all revert to the squeezed looking screen. I am guessing the EDID programmed in is not right or something.

Is anyone here able to get perfect pixel mapping with 1360x768 resolution for the 237v (or 537H) with NVIDIA cards?

Like I said 1280x768 looks really good, but I don't see why I can't get perfect pixel mapping at 1360x768.

Thanks guys,
-Mark
post #108 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I set the TV to 1:1 mode, but I still get this funky (squeezed picture) when I set my NVIDIA 6600GT to 1360x768. In fact, the highest resolution I can get perfect pixel mapping is 1280x768, which looks gorgeous btw, but I'd like to use a little more of my screen. I even tried 1288x768, 1296x768....ect., but they all revert to the squeezed looking screen. I am guessing the EDID programmed in is not right or something.

Is anyone here able to get perfect pixel mapping with 1360x768 resolution for the 237v (or 537H) with NVIDIA cards?

Like I said 1280x768 looks really good, but I don't see why I can't get perfect pixel mapping at 1360x768.

Thanks guys,
-Mark

I have a 237v and a 7800 and get 1360x768 1:1 just fine. In fact I didn't even have to change the resolution to get it to work. I just plugged it in and booted up right to the correct resolution instead of my normal 1680x1050. You may want to try doing the auto adjust in the olevia menu, it's buried in there somewhere. Make sure you're running at the right refresh rate too. Maybe that could help, otherwise I'm not sure because my 237 does native res through vga just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimJim View Post

Hello all, got a 237 from Newegg delivered today. Fired it up and it looks great with the 360. I don't get cable/sat and was planning on doing HDTV OTA, but this T.V. is not being cooperative. I plugged in my amplified semi-directional antenna pointed to the correct location (according to antennaweb) and it will pick up all of my analog channels but not even one digital channel. I know for a fact that there is 5.1, 8.1, 8.2, 11.1, 11.2, 13.1, 13.2, 17.1, and 17.2 broadcast in my area. I used to have a Radioshack Accurian OTA tuner box, but sold it as this T.V. has an ATSC tuner built in.

Any suggestions? Do I have to switch a mode on the tv or something from regular standard def tuning to ATSC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Did you make sure to select air and not cable when auto scanning for channels?

Just in case... HD ota is not like a normal antenna where you just plug it in and you pick up the channels, you have to auto scan for them first...or at least that's how it is with this tv. Did you scan for channels first?
post #109 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks guys,
-Mark

Just got my set Tuesday and was playing around with it as a computer display.
I set my NVIDIA GeForce6800 to 1360x768 and 1:1 on the 537 and I'm good to go. I'm using the HDMI input however. I'd rather use VGA because (correct me if I'm wrong), it has the power saver on that input. Won't have time tonight to check that out though.
post #110 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM

Liked: 11
Got (2) 537H about a week ago from RC Willey B&M after I printed out the Target online sale price and had them match it. God I love that.

I love mine so far. Waiting for Dish HD box to be set-up but I currently have it hooked up to older Direct Tv Tive box and the SD channels look just as good as my old CRT in the aspect mode right out of box. I hope that stays the same for Dish SD channels and I can't wait to see the HD channels since I am already stoked with the quality so far. I used the same set-up settings for the TV that are posted in the other thread mentioned above.

As far as I know, the RC Willey was the only one in Sacramento area carrying in B&M and I checked all th other big boys.
post #111 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 06:10 PM

Does either of you have a 6000 series NVIDIA card or do you both have 7000 series?

I think the 6000 series might have a problem with reading the EDID and when it detects any resolution over 1280x768, it has a problem. I don't know what else it could be.

-Mark

Edit: Nevermind I must have missed it, but you siad you are using a 6800 Geforce, so my little theory is wrong. I think I am going to have to call Olevia, but they probably will just tell me it's NVIDIA's problem. Oh well, guess it is 1280x768 for me.
post #112 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 PM

what's the most current firmware for the 537H?
post #113 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:15 PM

I have a 227v (picked it up from BJ's Wholesale Club for $350 black friday afternoon) connected to a Nvidia 6800GT currently using a standard DB15 VGA cable. The 227V was detected as a 1380x768 display using the VGA cable. I am waiting on my DVI to HDMI cable to be delivered. I simply refuse to pay retail prices for that cable when I can get that cable from monoprice(dot)com for so much less.

A few questions ( I sent an email to Olevia tech support a few days ago, but so far no response.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that the 237V supports PIP. How do I get this to work? I do not see the option in the OSD and I do not have a PIP button on the remote.

Also, of the following firmware...

A33-5.A19.A10.A01.A19

A30-2.A19.A10.A01.A21

Which is the most recent firmware revision? My 227V shipped with A30-2.A19.A10.A01.A21 and I want to make sure I am using the latest revision. A33-5.A19.A10.A01.A19 is available on olevia's website.
post #114 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM

This is my first post of many and I want to thank everyone for all the info input !

Here's my story ... Order the 537H from J&R on Friday, the 24th 7pm, as the website stated that item was " In Stock". I received an order confirmation email the same day.

Then Sunday Nov 26, 1:am, I received the "Back ordered" email / apology.
( I'm thinking, "Oh crap, Hope I get it before X-mas !)

Today, Wednesday 5pm, I receive a " Item Shipped " email .. "Whoa !! Ok !!"
I checked the tracking number at UPS and the Olevia was actually shipped 11pm, yesterday, Nov. 28th ... Soooo ! There might be a glimmer of hope for people who are "back ordered" OR ... I should be thanking someone who canceled their order so I could get MY TV earlier than later. YAY !

The 537H is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and I want to open the box and check for any unapparent damage, before signing off with UPS.

Question !
So I'm wondering, If I open up the box , pull the TV out and plug in the power cord only, will I be able to see that the panel is ok without supplying a signal ?? Is there a colored background without a signal ? I 'm just concerned that there might be the "smashed windshield effect " damage that one poster suffered. :-( Has anyone else found damage out of the box ?

Thanks in Advance ! & Good Signal Strength To All !
post #115 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoodsoul View Post

I have a 237v (picked it up from BJ's Wholesale Club for $350 black friday afternoon) connected to a Nvidia 6800GT currently using a standard DB15 VGA cable. The 237V was detected as a 1380x768 display using the VGA cable. I am waiting on my DVI to HDMI cable to be delivered. I simply refuse to pay retail prices for that cable when I can get that cable from monoprice(dot)com for so much less.

A few questions ( I sent an email to Olevia tech support a few days ago, but so far no response.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that the 237V supports PIP. How do I get this to work? I do not see the option in the OSD and I do not have a PIP button on the remote.

Also, of the following firmware...

A33-5.A19.A10.A01.A19

A30-2.A19.A10.A01.A21

Which is the most recent firmware revision? My 227V shipped with A30-2.A19.A10.A01.A21 and I want to make sure I am using the latest revision. A33-5.A19.A10.A01.A19 is available on olevia's website.

EDIT: Do you have a 227 or 237? You mention both. I'm assuming it's a 227 based on the firmware difference and you last mention it as a 227.

On my 237, PIP is in the screen menu. Go to view and then choose PIP or split screen I believe. Then you have to bring the menu back up to select sub picture source. You can also resize and move the PIP. It's really a pain to turn on and change though.

Hmm, that firmware isn't even close to the firmware my tv says it has. Maybe I'm reading it wrong or the wrong thing, but on my 237, I've got:

237 S11 060831C

I was assuming that was from august 31st, 2006 from the 060831 part. Olevia's website had no updates for me.
post #116 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by type7 View Post

EDIT: Do you have a 227 or 237? You mention both. I'm assuming it's a 227 based on the firmware difference and you last mention it as a 227.

On my 237, PIP is in the screen menu. Go to view and then choose PIP or split screen I believe. Then you have to bring the menu back up to select sub picture source. You can also resize and move the PIP. It's really a pain to turn on and change though.

Hmm, that firmware isn't even close to the firmware my tv says it has. Maybe I'm reading it wrong or the wrong thing, but on my 237, I've got:

237 S11 060831C

I was assuming that was from august 31st, 2006 from the 060831 part. Olevia's website had no updates for me.

My mistake - horrible typo on my behalf.

I meant to say "227" I corrected my original post as well.
post #117 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axil View Post

Question !
So I'm wondering, If I open up the box , pull the TV out and plug in the power cord only, will I be able to see that the panel is ok without supplying a signal ?? Is there a colored background without a signal ? I 'm just concerned that there might be the "smashed windshield effect " damage that one poster suffered. :-( Has anyone else found damage out of the box ?

Yes, on the 237 when you turn it on you get a white background with the olevia logo for roughtly 5 to 10 seconds and then a blue screen if you have no source. I would assume it's the same with the 537.
post #118 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 07:52 PM

Ordered from newegg late Sunday night, arrived first thing this morning (wednesday). So far so good. It's a solid looking set, nice asthetics, very bright. Seems to have a very impressive amount of user controls/settings in the OSD. One thing I noticed is that the box and manual both state that it has (3) sets of component inputs, however mine definitely only has (2). So far I've only tested with DishNetwork via a S-Video cable, which surprisingly looks good. I suspect that the HD signal via an HD feed will be quite nice. A few questions I have are...

According to the label on the back of the TV, only the HDMI and VGA inputs are labeled as HD inputs, is this correct? My Sony RP 50", has several component inputs that are designated as HD inputs, along with a DVI input. Does this mean that the component inputs on the 237 wont support HD resolutions?

Does anyone know what the current/most recent firmware version for the 237 is? Has the date issue been resolved yet? Mine currently says that today is November, 30th Saturday (won't allow user to change day of week).

Has anyone used a wall mount for this unit yet? It seems to be heavier than I expected. monoprice has what appears to be a great deal on an adjustable wall mount on their homepage and I'm curious to know if anyone has used it or a similar mount for their 237? I'd prefer not to pay the outrageous price for the olevia wall mount.

One other question, does a DVI cable carry audio as well like HDMI does? If not and I would use a DVI-to-HDMI converter, I suppose I'd also have to run audio cables?
post #119 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmcbride View Post

One thing I noticed is that the box and manual both state that it has (3) sets of component inputs, however mine definitely only has (2).

Specs state "3 component + 3 R/L RCA Audio (VGA connector accepts as 3rd Component source)".

I guess they consider the VGA as the third component input. So yes, your 237V only has two "red, blue, green" component inputs.
post #120 of 3188 Old 11-29-2006, 08:27 PM

I just noticed that pg 59 of the manual lists (2) component inputs as standard video inputs (along with the s-vide, composite, etc) and lists HDMI and VGA/Component #3 as the HD inputs. I guess this means that the other 2 component inputs wont accept HD resolution signals? Why are they calling the VGA input a component input? I've associated component with the red/blue/green cable. Does this mean I would have to get a VGA-to-component adapter if I had an HD source that only output via Red/Green/Blue component cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page