Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samgotit View Post

Did you turn on the power switch next to the IEC connector?

Call Newegg and have them replace it. I had a similar damage. Newegg didn't hesitate to offer a replacement or a refund.

Yes, flipping that switch is the first thing I did since I had heard about people thinking their TV's were DOA due to not knowing about this switch. I called Olevia and they said they'd send a replacement, but I wonder if going through Newegg instead would be faster...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 PM

Liked: 11
I just thought I would post to see if anyone with a 537H has had the same problems.

1. The channel selector on the remote is very slow. You cannot advance channels by holding down the channel selector only by pushing it repeatedly which is a pain. Even when I do that the stations change slowly.

2. I get periodically fuzzy audio through the speakers when in tuner mode. Sometimes the channels are clear sounding and other times irritatingly fuzzy. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #183 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 PM

Greetings all,

I received my new 537h from GlobalComputer yesterday, and upon setting everything up and plugging everything in, turned it on. No problem. PQ is very good, and I am very happy.

This morning I attempt to turn on the unit, except this time the set will not power on. The LED light in the corner does not turn off, signifying the power up. I try both the remote and the button on the unit, but no luck. I unplug the set for a few minutes, and try again. This time the light goes off, and the Olevia screen comes on and it is running fine.

Fast forward after work, and I attempt to turn it on. Same deal as the morning, no power up. I unplug and retry, several times now, and finally the LED goes out. I figure it is working again, except the Olevia warm-up screen never shows up. I unplug and try again, and this time the Olevia screen shows up. However, it now freezes on this screen. I try once more, and it finally starts again.

Has anyone experienced any trouble like this? I tried calling Olevia support, but no one ever picked up (closed for weekend?) If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it.

Best,
Hunter
post #184 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKennedy View Post

Greetings all,

I received my new 537h from GlobalComputer yesterday, and upon setting everything up and plugging everything in, turned it on. No problem. PQ is very good, and I am very happy.

This morning I attempt to turn on the unit, except this time the set will not power on. The LED light in the corner does not turn off, signifying the power up. I try both the remote and the button on the unit, but no luck. I unplug the set for a few minutes, and try again. This time the light goes off, and the Olevia screen comes on and it is running fine.

Fast forward after work, and I attempt to turn it on. Same deal as the morning, no power up. I unplug and retry, several times now, and finally the LED goes out. I figure it is working again, except the Olevia warm-up screen never shows up. I unplug and try again, and this time the Olevia screen shows up. However, it now freezes on this screen. I try once more, and it finally starts again.

Has anyone experienced any trouble like this? I tried calling Olevia support, but no one ever picked up (closed for weekend?) If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it.

Best,
Hunter

Yep, my 237 did something similar sans the frozen start up screen. I hesitate to call it a break in period, but it only lasted a few days. It's fine now. Hope it works out.
post #185 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Just received my 237v from Neweggs and everything is working perfectly. I currently only have SD signals but it still looks great. Just like others I tried different codes on my DVR remote without any success. Guess I'll have to use 2 remotes.

I'm waiting for an HDMI cable to hook up my DVD player, had to order it since no local stores carry high-end accessories around here. Will report back after doing some test with HD.
post #186 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 PM

Yup, no codes working for my 237 either. I have a mx-500 remote and I went through all 200 some tv codes and none worked. I'll have to break out the manual to figure out how to do learning I guess.
post #187 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 08:47 PM

I finally managed to mount this thing with a Peerless mount from costco ($95) bux with the help of my friend. This most difficult part is to get the screws out of the stand believe it or not we spent like an HOUR just to take like 10 screws out. You need an extra long screwdriver and the you had no idea how deep the screw is. Once you feel like the screw is ready to pop you had to turn the TV upside down and bang the stand so the screws would come up. Unless you have an electric drill otherwise it would be a very frustrating experience with no manual to walk you through it. but, anyhow the TV looks a lot better once it is mounted so it is worth it.

Also, I really need your HELP. For some reason I am NO longer able to do many functions with the remote control after hooking it up to an analog cable box e.g cannot reset to factory default, cannot Auto Channel Search, audio or sound setting. , cannot use cc, pretty much all functions. I was able to drill down to that particular item, but cannot select it. It seems like it is being disabled or something. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
post #188 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 09:31 PM

Got the 237V from Newegg. Was a bit worried in that the UPS driver told me that if I cut the straps to inspect the box, he'd not take it.... box looked fine, unit was flawless... no damage whatsover!

I've had experience with a 32" ViewSonic and a 32" Sceptre from Costco and I'll say, the 237 hands down wins the test in SD viewing!

To be sure, it's obvious that it's SD but NOTHING like either the Costco unit or the VS unit!

I can't get HD here unless I switch from Charter, which, unfortunately, does not offer HD yet in my area (middle of nowhere) or, I switch out to dish. At the moment, not sure I clear trees... it's going to be within inches *if* I do clear them!

Watching a widescreen show in zoom 1 mode right now on National Geo channel.. Sitting at 10' feet, it's a bit grainy (to be expected) back a few feet further, it really rocks!

Watched one DVD in progressive scan mode.. makes me want to upgrade to an HDMI DVD player!

All in all... I know we can't mention prices but I got the "black friday" pricing, which was VERY good.. .

This thing is huge in my little living room, can't wait to see HD on it and I'd HIGHLY recommend this TV to anyone looking for a nicely priced LCD!

I will also mention.. .The ViewSonic I've had experience with is 800:1 contrast and the whites are always blown... The Sceptre was 1200:1 and really, I didn't think it was any better than the VS. This set, I can see hair definition on a dark haired person and STILL have room to go before blowing out the whites!

This is my first HD unit and I could not be happier.. err.. unless I had HD feed somehow!

Shortz
post #189 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 PM

Regarding codes.. the remote on the 237, when in menu mode, the arrow keys match pause and fast forward on my Coby DVD player.. .

Was playing with settings on the TV and every time I'd use an arrow key, DVD would either pause go backward or faster..

This is either a key to the codes or, an incredible hassle that we'll never figure out. I'd LOVE to, at least, have volume on my cable remote..

Might want to see if Coby codes work with your remotes..?

Shortz
post #190 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapengcheng View Post

Also, I really need your HELP. For some reason I am NO longer able to do many functions with the remote control after hooking it up to an analog cable box e.g cannot reset to factory default, cannot Auto Channel Search, audio or sound setting. , cannot use cc, pretty much all functions. I was able to drill down to that particular item, but cannot select it. It seems like it is being disabled or something. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Have the same problem...
Just got my 537, hooked it to my old SD cable STB.
Picture is great, but... i could not get rid of the CC.
Pressing the CC button just write CC On, and does not toggle between On/Off.
Then I tried setting different brightness - NADA
Tried to change any other option - NADA
All i can do with the TV is to change the volume...

Very confusing

Do I have a deffective set?

Help...
post #191 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM

I got the Olevia 537H today - we had a bunch of snow here delaying the delivery, but UPS delivered it late friday

Anyway, it looks good - the black levels are OK, but I havent tuned it yet with Avia. Anyway, here are some pictures of the TV showing HD, SD and the Xbox360 with media center.

Full view for relative size

XBox 360 media center view

Another view

Some HD Channel

Polar Express on some local HD channel I picked up over QAM

The "Cube" menu

SD channel

Another Polar Express shot

The sticker on the front
post #192 of 3176 Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 PM

Guys, I could use a bit of help....

I recieved my 537h today, well actually not mine its a gift for my parents, but yeah I have to run the tests before especially cause I wasnt around when it was dropped off....

So i just hooked it up to an ota ant. and for all I tried I can not get that Auto channel search to work......then I got tired of that and decided to hook up coaxial cable, knowing thats what they will be watching the most anyway, same problem, this is what happens......

I go Menu>Setup>Tv>AutoChannelSearch>Air or cable then I enter and nothing happens....

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this a firmware issue?

Or something someones had a prob with also?

I wanted this to be a quick test but its taking longer cause of this, plus Im stuck watching a show on it, not that I got it to autoset, but I tuned into a cable channel manually....

SD doesnt look so bad, it looks decent maybe better when I mess with it...
Tv is pretty big, Im starting to wonder if I should have gone with a 32" instead for my parents room, but with the price of this 37" I had to go with it, they will manage the eye pain I guess.....

I probably will test the other components tomorrow, after all I have all month....
Xbox 360, PC, dvd and Hddvd tests will be run tomorrow....

Right now I just really want to fix the auto scan to get that out of the way and package this Tv back up, wouldnt want nothing to happen to it, yet!
post #193 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Got the 537 from Tiger Direct on Wed. after ordering on Monday afternoon. Paid for standard shipping so I was surprised when I checked UPS at work on Wed. morning and saw it was out for delivery.
Have it hooked up directly to cable (no STB). We pay $9. a month for local channels in SD. Now we get both digital and HD at no additional cost. The tuner is a cheapskate's dream. I have it plugged into a Panny XR-55 receiver (optical) and Panny F-86 DVD player (component) with Ascend 340's for speakers. I'll probably pick up an Oppo to take advantage of the HDMI imput sometime soon.
Everything works as advertised. It isn't the best display on the market but it's the best value I've found. This is one very satisfied customer.

David
post #194 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 05:09 AM

Received my Tiger Direct 537H Thursday. UPS left a sorry I missed you sticker, "we will try and deliver tomorrow same time". I called them and arranged to go pick it up Thursday evening at 8pm at their local wharehouse.
Checked out unit for obvious damage at UPS before leaving and it was perfect.

Got it home and it is perfect out of the box. Using HDMI to HDMI with Cox HD service via Motorola Tuner/DVR DCT6412III. Using component to component Sony 5.1 surround sound theater. All I can say is wow! HD is simply amazing.

HD Discovery is CRAZY Awesome. IHD2 is equally fabulous (Doyle with Clapton and Crow COncert was liek being there in person with the best seat in the house). Charlie and The Chocolate Factory had some of the most amazing color and clarity - it blew me away. Yes the blacks were not as black as my Sony Trinitron Wega 32" diag CRT using plain digital cable, but they were black enough. I watched Return of the Jedi and turned up my surround and was immersed. There was no black streaking or fading in any corners such as what previous posts are reporting, all pixels are working. It really is amazing. Can you tell this is my first HDTV?

SD via the cable box is good/palatable, not as clear or sharp as my 32" Wega. I am tinkering with the different aspects to find my favorite. We watched Vegas on NBC SD last night. Again, good not great...not as good as the digital cable image from my 32" Trinitron Wega CRT.

I really like the lighting button on the remote that allows you to change the image to adjust for ambient room lighting. It adjusts perfectly. I have not hooked up my Sony progressive scan DVD player yet. It is the complement to my SONY Theater system.

I have not figured out the OTA / QAM tuner yet. Can I use rabbit ears into the HDTV antenna on the back? I have to figure out how to search/scan for channels over the air.

I figure when I get that running, I can use the "view" button on the bottom of the remote for the PIP feature. I see it controls the split screen and pip and then when that is on, you can use the "swap" button to go between the two different images displayed on screen.

The date /time setting is stuck on Jan. 1 2000 in Samoa with the date reading Saturday. Time is off too. I clicked auto detect but got nothing. I cannot make changes when toggling over to these.

I am perplexed at the Firmware update. I wonder if I have the most recent version straight out of the box. It is currently 537-B11-060807A, just as in the MTK Firmware update instructions in the verification step at the end. I downloaded the driver and other updates software from Olevia.com. As I am updating step one, it says that there is Err, no feedback, check comport or unplug for 10 seconds. So I unlpug the TV, wait 10 seconds, and plug it in, turn it on, and hit step one again. Same process. The USB is firmly in laptop and the port on the back of the TV. Any ideas or suggestions?

So I have more tinkering, but the basics are that I bought a awesome picture TV with all kinds of features at a can't pass price. Perhaps my evangalistic response to the HD will wane with continued use, but I am sold. HD is the way to go.
post #195 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Strange problem. Forgive me if this is metioning the obvious, but did you try to uplug the set for ~30sec. after hooking up the cable box.
post #196 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:

I finally managed to mount this thing with a Peerless mount from costco ($95) bux with the help of my friend. This most difficult part is to get the screws out of the stand believe it or not we spent like an HOUR just to take like 10 screws out. You need an extra long screwdriver and the you had no idea how deep the screw is. Once you feel like the screw is ready to pop you had to turn the TV upside down and bang the stand so the screws would come up. Unless you have an electric drill otherwise it would be a very frustrating experience with no manual to walk you through it. but, anyhow the TV looks a lot better once it is mounted so it is worth it.

I struggled with this last night until 2:00 AM, gave up and went to bed. When I got up this morning I had an epiphany...... maybe I'm in show room mode??

Menu>Picture>Mode> set to HOME

This is one of the few controls that still works after you've hit factory defaults (yes, that's what "locked me up")

It's amazing how a little sleep can activate grey matter.

Give it a shot, Im back to normal again.

bull
post #197 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 06:45 AM

I had this happen too.. I just went on google, searched, and found I needed to get it out of showroom mode too.
post #198 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrake View Post

I struggled with this last night until 2:00 AM, gave up and went to bed. When I got up this morning I had an epiphany...... maybe I'm in show room mode??

Menu>Picture>Mode> set to HOME

This is one of the few controls that still works after you've hit factory defaults (yes, that's what "locked me up")

It's amazing how a little sleep can activate grey matter.

Give it a shot, Im back to normal again.

bull

I had a very bad night sleep because of that same problem.
You made my day/week/month
post #199 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 08:11 AM

Anyone that lives in NJ or Long Island NY thats wants the 537H you can go to or call 6th Ave Electronics they have them there most stores have them in stock and you can bargain with the price they dropped it 100 bux for me cause i said i saw it elsewhere cheaper. There reg price is eight ninety nine so 100 bux off is a good deal im goin to pick it up today. im cancelling my J&R and Target order!
post #200 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 10:10 AM

The locking is finally fixed. thanks to OP for finding the fix, now I have another problem. It appears the channels 1-2, 1-4, 1-7 and 1-11 some of the HD channels in my local area under Time Warner is set up to may 3/4 of the size. It is NOT full screen. Although they are HDTV type quality, it does NO good it's be cropped like 1/5 of the size from left to right. Is there anyway to make the HD chanels to full screen. so far only channel 13 (1-13) is set to FULL-Screen. I already reset to factory defaults but that did not help either. My first LCD TV, it turns out to be a lot difficult than I though in terms of configuration and customization.
post #201 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:

The locking is finally fixed. thanks to OP for finding the fix, now I have another problem. It appears the channels 1-2, 1-4, 1-7 and 1-11 some of the HD channels in my local area under Time Warner is set up to may 3/4 of the size. It is NOT full screen. Although they are HDTV type quality, it does NO good it's be cropped like 1/5 of the size from left to right. Is there anyway to make the HD chanels to full screen. so far only channel 13 (1-13) is set to FULL-Screen. I already reset to factory defaults but that did not help either. My first LCD TV, it turns out to be a lot difficult than I though in terms of configuration and customization.

Those don't sound like hd channels then, or at least when you looked at them they weren't broadcasting any hd content. They may just be digital sd channels, not actual hd channels.

To change screen size, use the aspect button on the remote or the on screen menu. You should be able to cycle through 1:1, aspect, full screen, zoom1, zoom2, and panoramic.
post #202 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Could someone explain to me what this setting is for on a 237 (and I imagine the 537 also):
Menu-Picture-Mode-Input- and all the various modes here(High Def Tv, User....)

Thanks
post #203 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 PM

I got my 537H i hooked it up everything is perfect the only question i have it on the xbox360 video setup it allows me to select 1080p even though it says in the specs the tv doesnt have 1080p resolution.
post #204 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplerbob View Post

Could someone explain to me what this setting is for on a 237 (and I imagine the 537 also):
Menu-Picture-Mode-Input- and all the various modes here(High Def Tv, User....)

Thanks

They should be to save picture settings (color, brightness, contrast, etc.) for different sources. I don't have the tv in front of me, but it might change the source too, I don't remember.
post #205 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VvNeo2000vV View Post

I got my 537H i hooked it up everything is perfect the only question i have it on the xbox360 video setup it allows me to select 1080p even though it says in the specs the tv doesnt have 1080p resolution.

The tv will just convert the signal to what it can display (1366x768 or 720p max resolution). You won't be getting 1080p.
post #206 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 PM

so it will convert it to 1080i if i set it to 1080p?
post #207 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 01:21 PM

I would assume it would convert to 720 as it does with a 1080i source.
post #208 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 01:54 PM

the 537H supports 1080i i cant really tell which one is better 1080i or 720p
post #209 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 02:11 PM

Yeah, it 'supports' 1080i as does the 237. 1080i will be deinterlaced and scaled before it's shown though.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the 237/537 is 1366x768 native res set and anything you feed it in the end will get converted to that.

EDIT: IMHO feeding 1080i to a 720p set looks better than feeding 720p to it. I've found this to be the case on my 52" toshiba dlp and on the olevia 237. I don't know why as this shouldn't really be the case, but that's how I see it when I compare cbs hd football in 1080i vs fox 720p, but I'm sure others differ.
post #210 of 3176 Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 PM

isnt progressive better than interlaced? i tried both couldnt tell the difference on the Xbox 360 playing dvds i havent tried setting it to 1080i and playing a game i dont have the HD cable box yet.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page