Official Olevia 537H, 437V & 237V Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So many new people are going to be receiving (or already have) the 537H, 237V or 437V after the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales. These models are somewhat similar so I'd like to put them all up for discussion here.

Please post your impressions, settings, problems, tips, and tweaks here.
Please remember there is NO price talk aloud on this forum.

Thanks,
Sam

P.S. If you find any errors with the information here, please PM me or post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread has a lot of information on these models, but the thread is now very long and it's not model specific:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=30

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olevia product pages:
237V
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/detail.jsp?pid=237V
437V
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/detail.jsp?pid=437V
537H
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/detail.jsp?pid=537h

Olevia comparison pages:
237V vs. 537H
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/c...37v&pidTo=537H
437V vs 537H
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/c...37v&pidTo=537H

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some points:
V and H are the designations for Vertical and Horizontal speaker placement respectively.
The Chipset for all of these models is MTK MDDI Technology.
The 537H has the better warranty of the three. It carries a One year On-Site Warranty.
The 237V and 437V both have a One year exchange, one year parts and labor warranty. I was told by an Olevia CSR the shipping cost one-way is your responsibility.
Also from the CSR, the 537H has more menu "settings" (See Below).
The 537H has a different remote (universal), but I don't know the details.
The 237V, 437V, and 537H all have QAM tuners.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast Manual Downloads:

237V Manual - Thanks to Geograhper:
http://warcraft.gotdns.com/UM-En_MTK...242_060824.pdf
537H Manual - Thanks to blastmotor:
http://www.topguncomputing.com/olevia/5_series.pdf

How to update Firmware 537H 237V 437V (There are more than one step within each document):

STEP 1
STEP 2
STEP 3
STEP 4
STEP 5
STEP 6

537H vs. 237V Menu "settings" differences

I hope these two screen shots from the 237V and 537H manuals can clear up the menu "setting" differeces that the CSRs have refered to between the two models:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 PM
hc2

When you are on the product page click "Support" and then "Manuals" and there is a link to download the manuals, very slow though for me yesterday. Approx 31 MB download at 100 KB/s. PDF format.
But the TV's do not have a printed manual, the manual is on a cd. I figured I might as well print one up so when I receive it Wednesday, I'll have it already to go.
post #3 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc2 View Post

When you are on the product page click "Support" and then "Manuals" and there is a link to download the manuals, very slow though for me yesterday. Approx 31 MB download at 100 KB/s. PDF format.
But the TV's do not have a printed manual, the manual is on a cd. I figured I might as well print one up so when I receive it Wednesday, I'll have it already to go.

Thanks.

The manual for the 237V seems to be missing. If someone can post or link it, that would be great. I assume it's very similar to the 437V.
post #4 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samgotit View Post

Thanks.

The manual for the 237V seems to be missing. If someone can post or link it, that would be great. I assume it's very similar to the 437V.

Direct link to 237v manual:

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/p...242_060824.pdf

Site seems to be really slow right now, as soon as I download the manual I will put it up on my own website and post the link for you guys. My site has about 100mbps pipe, so it should be a lot faster.

I am getting mine from Newegg on Wednesday, glad it has that MTK chipset!

-Mark
post #5 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 02:26 PM

I am also looking into purchasing from newegg the 237 model. Do you think that the 3year warranty from them is worth it? I am not able to see much more info about what it covers in those three years!
post #6 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 02:40 PM

I notice that this is a bulk item, so it can not be returned. Has anyone ever had a problem with an LCD TV from newegg? What happens if I get the TV and there is a problem with it?
post #7 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoG View Post

I am also looking into purchasing from newegg the 237 model. Do you think that the 3year warranty from them is worth it? I am not able to see much more info about what it covers in those three years!

This is all I could find about the Service Net Warranties from Newegg. I opted not to get it.
http://www.newegg.com/CustomerServic...prehensive.asp
This part looks good though:
Quote:
On-Site service will be provided for all televisions with a screen size equal to 25" or larger, and for all projection televisions.

Servicenet.com:
http://www.servicenet.com/pressrelease_view.asp?id=42

Make sure your TV is not damaged when it arrives. If it is refuse delivery. Call Newegg and tell them you did so. Newegg has a long tradition of great customer service. If there is a technical problem you may have to send it in yourself, but first I'd call Newegg and see what they will do.
post #8 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks! Just pulled the trigger. can't wait.
post #9 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoG View Post

I notice that this is a bulk item, so it can not be returned. Has anyone ever had a problem with an LCD TV from newegg? What happens if I get the TV and there is a problem with it?

I received a damaged set from newegg. Nothing visible on the outside box but when I turned the TV on the screen looked like a windshield hit by a rock. I think the box took a good hit by something. The original packaging is terrible. Nothing but a thin piece of cardboard between the outside world and panel. I called newegg and all they did was state their bulk shipping policy to me. Absolutely no returns if you accept the package from UPS. No help whatsover except to call the manufacturer. What was I suppose to do tell the UPS guy to wait for me to unpack it and turn it on before I accept it? I have always praised Newegg in the past but they really dropped the ball on this one. This bulk shipping policy is pure ********. I would think it should be neweggs responsibilty to deliver me a working product. If it fails the day after then so be it. I will never make a purchase from newegg again that falls under this policy. On a positive note Olevia replaced the set for me. Good job Olevia BAD job newegg.
post #10 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone tell me if the 237V accepts qam signals?
post #11 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 05:22 PM

newegg's return policy is clearly stated, which is why I didn't buy from them. I got a 537h with a toshiba hd-a1 and the picture is beautiful, although the black levels could be a little better though they're no worse then other sets in this price range I've seen.

Set works great, no glitches of any sort, as does the HD-A1, although I haven't tried HD-DVDs on it yet, just upconverted DVDs and lots of x-files episodes in widescreen.
post #12 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for starting a separate thread for these 37" inchers from Olevia. I ordered a 537H from Target.com a few days ago (delivery: 11/30). I tried finding this TV locally someplace, but CompUSA only had the LT37HVS - which didnt look very good compared to the 37" Sharp and Sony next to it (those were also more expensive). Can someone who already has the TV comment on the black levels? Pictures would also help
post #13 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 06:00 PM

I wanted to get the 537H from target.com, it was a great price. But last night I had it in my cart and I was about to make the purchase, but my pregnant wife was not feeling well, so I helped her. When I went to make the purchase this morning, the price had doubled. I was so pissed. Tried calling Target to get them to honor the price from just 5 hours before, but no dice. I think I still got a very good deal for the 237 from newegg. Plus I get the TV about 4 weeks sooner than Target could have delivered.
post #14 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 06:10 PM

afaik, there are only negligible differences between the 537 and 437. the PQ is suppose to be pretty much exactly the same. Office depot carries the 437.
post #15 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 06:43 PM

What about the 237?
post #16 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat24 View Post

Thanks for starting a separate thread for these 37" inchers from Olevia. I ordered a 537H from Target.com a few days ago (delivery: 11/30). I tried finding this TV locally someplace, but CompUSA only had the LT37HVS - which didnt look very good compared to the 37" Sharp and Sony next to it (those were also more expensive). Can someone who already has the TV comment on the black levels? Pictures would also help

I posted this same question in another thread. Never got an answer. For a minute I thought I was reading my post about black levels. The LT37 was twice as much money as the 537 model was selling for.

Here is my other post:

I have been trying to find a Olevia 537H to see what it looks like. No one has the set. CompUSA still has the LT37HVS. I was not impressed. The blacks looked more dark gray than black. There was an LG on one side and an Sharp on the other side. Both had better blacks. I don't know about any TV settings and whether the blacks on the LT37 could be improved. I don't want to buy online without first previewing the TV but that seems impossible. I understand that the 537H is supposed to be a much better TV than the LT37.

Comments from anyone with a LT37 or 537H concerning the black levels would be appreciated. I have seen fabulous prices on the 537H which are much less than the CompUSA price on the LT37 which I believe has been discontinued.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #17 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreens View Post

afaik, there are only negligible differences between the 537 and 437. the PQ is suppose to be pretty much exactly the same. Office depot carries the 437.

The 437 has a one year exchange warranty. You have to pay the shipping to get it to OLEVIA.

The 537 has a one year in home warranty.

The 537 has a universal remote and the 437 does not.

The 337 has vertical side speakers and the 537 has bottom horizontal speakers.
Other than these items and color, they are identical.
post #18 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Ok so here is the manual for the 237v:

http://warcraft.gotdns.com/UM-En_MTK...242_060824.pdf

I am posting this because Olevia's website is very very slow right now and this link should be much faster. It is the same exact manual as the link above.

-Mark
post #19 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberman View Post

The 337 has vertical side speakers and the 537 has bottom horizontal speakers.
Other than these items and color, they are identical.

Just to clarify:

The 337H uses the PixelWorks DNX video processor. It's arguably a very different LCD. It's why I didn't include it here. I'm not aware of a 337 that has vertical speakers, though I could be wrong.
post #20 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM

I've been really trying to talk myself into the 237 as it sounds like a steal for the newegg price, however, the policy is really making it a hard decision. What was the conversation like with Olevia to exchange the damaged unit from delivery?
post #21 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 07:57 PM

My 237 order is on its way from Newegg and I was also a little paranoid about their no return policy but pulled the trigger on Fri. morn. because I didn't want to wait the 4 weeks or more for the Target deal. My question is I was really thinking about opening my box in front of the UPS driver to make sure it isn't damaged. I will have a $5 or $10 tip waiting for him. How long would it take to open the box real quick to check the LCD? Has anyone opened one yet?
post #22 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 PM

Not a bad idea my friend. Hopefully I will be home when it arrives, I might have to do the same thing. ARe you planning to turn the TV on to make sure all pixels are ok?
post #23 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 PM

Nah Geno I won't go that far and turn it on, but just would like to make sure it didn't take a hit. I have a feeling that a signature is required, so if you are not home they won't deliver it anyway, but I could be wrong. Mine was due on Tues. but I just checked the tracking and it has arrived at the local UPS depot the next town over from me, so I imagine it will be here a day early. Still wonder how long the UPS guy will have to wait, but I guess I will find out soon enough.
post #24 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlynsyde View Post

I've been really trying to talk myself into the 237 as it sounds like a steal for the newegg price, however, the policy is really making it a hard decision. What was the conversation like with Olevia to exchange the damaged unit from delivery?

The policy says just refuse delivery and they will refund complete cost (or I imagine send a new one if you so desire).
post #25 of 3183 Old 11-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberman View Post

I posted this same question in another thread. Never got an answer. For a minute I thought I was reading my post about black levels. The LT37 was twice as much money as the 537 model was selling for.

Here is my other post:

I have been trying to find a Olevia 537H to see what it looks like. No one has the set. CompUSA still has the LT37HVS. I was not impressed. The blacks looked more dark gray than black. There was an LG on one side and an Sharp on the other side. Both had better blacks. I don't know about any TV settings and whether the blacks on the LT37 could be improved. I don't want to buy online without first previewing the TV but that seems impossible. I understand that the 537H is supposed to be a much better TV than the LT37.

Comments from anyone with a LT37 or 537H concerning the black levels would be appreciated. I have seen fabulous prices on the 537H which are much less than the CompUSA price on the LT37 which I believe has been discontinued.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

i also had a similar question in another thread. are the blacks in the Olevia TVs really like this or is it the way these stores have them set up? most of the other name brands look fine. i went to two difference CC's and two different CUSA's, and all of the Olevias had blacks that looked dark gray and a picture that was not very sharp. of course, everything i saw was a lesser model. the closest thing to a 537H that I saw at CUSA was a 337H, but that uses the pixelworks processor.

what confused me even more was when I checked out the LGs since the Olevias use LG panels. some of the LGs looked great while some looked somewhat poor. at BB, they had two identical LGs right next to each other, displaying the exact same video. one looked like something i'd seriously like to take home while the other looked like garbage. OTH, the Samsungs and Sonys always look great at every store.

confuzzled
post #26 of 3183 Old 11-27-2006, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hi weberman - yeah, it seems like black levels could be a problem on these sets. Like I said, the LT37HVS didnt look too good no matter how much I tried convincing myself it did (the sharp sitting next to it was fantabulous - ignore price for a sec). I am hoping that the 537H uses next gen LCD panel tech + the MTK chip is ALL-THAT per hype on the web...

BTW, the intended use for this TV is in my bedroom so good-to-ok black levels in absolute darkness is a must...
post #27 of 3183 Old 11-27-2006, 12:15 AM

Worth getting the 537h from Tiger as opposed to the 237v from the egg? I'm going to do six months no payments either way, but I'd feel more comfortable ordering from newegg - only because I've dealt with them several times in the past.

Thoughts?
post #28 of 3183 Old 11-27-2006, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck2 View Post

Worth getting the 537h from Tiger as opposed to the 237v from the egg? I'm going to do six months no payments either way, but I'd feel more comfortable ordering from newegg - only because I've dealt with them several times in the past.

Thoughts?

Looks like Newegg went back up on the 237V.
post #29 of 3183 Old 11-27-2006, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplerbob View Post

My 237 order is on its way from Newegg and I was also a little paranoid about their no return policy but pulled the trigger on Fri. morn. because I didn't want to wait the 4 weeks or more for the Target deal. My question is I was really thinking about opening my box in front of the UPS driver to make sure it isn't damaged. I will have a $5 or $10 tip waiting for him. How long would it take to open the box real quick to check the LCD? Has anyone opened one yet?

Mine looked absolutley perfect out of the box until I powered it up.
post #30 of 3183 Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlynsyde View Post

Olevia was really good about it. The only problem is you don't get 3 day delivery like newegg. It took a couple days to setup for pick up. A week for them to receive it a couple days for them to ship it and another week for me to receive it. Another option is you give them a credit card number and they ship one right out to you. When they get the bad one back they take the charge off. I didn't want two big charges on my card. My next TV purchase will be in a store with a 30 day no questions asked refund policy. I don't care if it cost hundreds more. Believe me it's not worth the aggrevation you go through.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page