(Not another) LCD vs Plasma thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, not another generic LCD vs Plasma thread.

I'm trying to figure out which is the right technology for my application. I don't hate either one. :)

My application is my bedroom. Lots of ambient light. Can be controlled, but when I'm working in the daytime, I like to leave the blinds open. Since I work mostly in my bedroom, the set will be on pretty much 24/7, so that may be an issue. I don't do any gaming in the bedroom. Main input will be digital cable with some HD and lots of SD channels (via Tivo S3 with cablecards.)

So, I've been looking at the current pricing on the Panny 42PX60U (and 6U) and comparing that to LCD technology, specifically the Sony 40" v2500 model. If I go cheaper (closer to Panny plasma pricing) you end up in the 1366 x 768 rez range of sets, which don't support 1080p. I'm not claiming 1080p is important to me, it probably isn't, but 1:1 seems to be the way to go with LCDs, right?

It's been a while since I purchased an HDTV set .. my older one is a Sammy DLP. Back when I bought it, 1:1 pixel mapping seemed to be very important.

So I guess it comes down to these considerations:

1. Plasma limited life (60k hours, right?) vs ?? - remember, I said 24x7.
2. Plasma power consumption (400 Watts vs ??)
3. Native Rez. (Panny seems to do well at it's native 1024x768 rez, at least according to what I've read. How do the 1366x768 rez LCDs perform, and why is their native rez that odd number?) Seems like you have to do some scaling at any of the lower price points, unless you go up in price.
4. Price difference .. the Sony v2500 is around $700 more than the going price for the Panny Plasma (very rough price difference, yes, maybe not a fair comparison since the Sony does 1080p and native rez is 1920 x 1080).
Anything else??

If I'm to consider LCD, is there something decent at a comparable price point to the Panny Plasma? The concern then becomes scaling, right?

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 PM

LCD doesn't have much of a glare at all.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 05:15 PM

Since you are using the set for video (as opposed to computer use) 1-1 mapping is not an issue (in my opinion). I just picked up the TH-50PX6U and the pq is great (amazing with HD sources). Since we mostly view at night and the size/price and quality/price are hard to beat we went for the Panasonic Plasma. I connected the set to my htpc using an DVI-HDMI cable and can can run at 1280x720 or 1920x1080. I do get a little overscan but it's a non issue for me since the PC is used as an audio/video server. (The PX6U panasonics can handle 1080p over HDMI.)

Since your room is bright and you want to view in daylight LCD is a good choice. Costco in Kahului has the 40" Sony S2000 wich is probably a good bet. Frys has a good deal on the 40" Samsung 4095 which is a 1080P set. They have reasonable shipping to HI.

Aloha from Haiku.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks neighbor. :) I'll take a look at it.

Way back when, the scaling issue was that you wanted to do the scaling in exactly one place, so you're not re-processing an image that's already been processed. You would generally do the scaling in the unit that had the better hardware. PC inputs had different issues, mostly overscaling and loosing some of the image, if your monitor didn't have a way to defeat the overscaling when using a pc for input. (My old Sammy DLP does have a "pc-wide" setting that defeats the overscaling issue.) But, again, you're right that pc-input is not really an issue at this time for this monitor.

So, with my Tivo S3, it will take the input from the cablecards directly, and I get to choose an output format: native, 720p hybrid, 1080i hybrid, 480i fixed, 480p fixed, 720p fixed, 1080i fixed. (native is pass-through, hybrid converts HD content to the specified rez and converts all SD content to 480p)

So, even if I choose, for example, 720p fixed, won't these monitors still have to re-process the image to fit either the 1024x768 display on the Panny or the 1366x768 native format of the LCD panels? Why isn't that an issue anymore? If I get something like the v2500, which does 1920x1080 natively, I assume I would just pick 1080i output from the S3 in order to minimize any scaling done by the monitor itself.

-David
post #5 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
my I suggest readng plasma vs. lcd at

hdguru.com

you do not say whether you watch at night. I find LCD too bright for dark rooms. The article should help

as far as the 60,000 hours that is to half brightness , not dead, still quite acceptable .

dont you sleep ??
post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson

hdguru.com

you do not say whether you watch at night. I find LCD too bright for dark rooms. The article should help

as far as the 60,000 hours that is to half brightness , not dead, still quite acceptable .

dont you sleep ??
I'll check out that link. Thanks.

Yes, serious viewing is at night. Most of the daytime viewing is background "noise" as I work.

-David
post #7 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson

hdguru.com
I followed the link to your testing. All the Sony's that were tested drop half of a 1080i signal, though the v2500's were not tested, and the v2500's support 1080p. I wonder if they are better? Have you had a chance to try a v2500 model yet?

Very illuminating. Gives even more credence to what most people say about Pioneer equipment. Thanks Gary! (And thanks for doing that testing.)

-David
post #8 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 08:04 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. The video from my PC is typically low res relative to what the monitor can display. For example: DVD at 480 lines gets converted to 720 then to 768. Since it's still only 480 lines of resolution I think the second conversion is likely to introduce very few new artifacts. For an LCD I'd probably go with 1080p for the reasons that you describe.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 PM

has anybody heard anything about Soyo LCD TVs? The specs are pretty nice, but what company are they from and am I buying quality or poop? The picture was really nice in the store, (better than the competeing RCA scenium lcds) It says 800:1 contrast ratio, will this be good for the Nintendo Wii? anyways any info would be cool. later bro
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page