Certain DVD Videos Playing in small box on 40" 720p LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry i have put this in 2 different forums, but i am not really sure where it belongs...

i have a sony dvd player connected via component, westinghouse 40" 720p lcd hdtv - most movies look excellent considering it is coming from a 480p source and the majority of the screen gest used up with widescreen movies, at least the width with a bit of a black bar on top and bottom and 4:3 stuff fills up vertically with a bit of bars on the left/right.

cerrtain movies will only play in the middle, not expanding to any edge. the tv has a fill mode and this does a bit, but the video still has black bars all around it, to the point that it looks like video is at most taking up 70-80% of the width of the lcd. the movies i have had issues with thus far are "The Rock", "Eneym of the State" and "Armegeddon"

i thought maybe this was an issues as these movies are 2.35:1, but my 2.35:1 copy of "Gladiator" works fine and fills up the screen horizontally 100%.

i have tried using the zoom feature on the dvd player but it doesn't scale very good.

any ideas on what the issue is? how to fix it?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob332
i have a sony dvd player connected via component, westinghouse 40" 720p lcd hdtv - most movies look excellent considering it is coming from a 480p source and the majority of the screen gest used up with widescreen movies, at least the width with a bit of a black bar on top and bottom and 4:3 stuff fills up vertically with a bit of bars on the left/right.

cerrtain movies will only play in the middle, not expanding to any edge. the tv has a fill mode and this does a bit, but the video still has black bars all around it, to the point that it looks like video is at most taking up 70-80% of the width of the lcd. the movies i have had issues with thus far are "The Rock", "Eneym of the State" and "Armegeddon"

i thought maybe this was an issues as these movies are 2.35:1, but my 2.35:1 copy of "Gladiator" works fine and fills up the screen horizontally 100%.

i have tried using the zoom feature on the dvd player but it doesn't scale very good.

any ideas on what the issue is? how to fix it?

thanks in advance
It is an issue with the way the disk is authored and there is nothing you can do except zoom in, which as you've noted is not very satisfactory.

There are two types of widescreen dvds: letterboxed and anamorphic. Older disks are often letterboxed, newer disks are more likely to be anamorphic. On anamorphic disks the back label usually says something like "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen" or "enhanced for 16:9". But not always.

Letterboxed titles are actually 4:3 images with a widescreen picture embedded in a 4:3 aperture. This doesn't matter on a 4:3 display but it is less than optimal on a widescreen display.

I hate to say it, but one of the good points of the studios double-dipping on titles is that the "special edition" re-releases sometimes upgrade letterboxed images to remastered anamorphic. For example, this has been done for Predator, Brigadoon, Last of the Mohicans, Room with a View, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

To my knowledge, these titles have never appeared in anamorphic editions:

Emma (Paltrow)
Impromptu
Ladyhawke
Purple Noon
Clockwork Orange
Armageddon
High Plains Drifter

The IMDB "DVD Details" screen is useful when investigating edition history. For example, Armageddon: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/dvd

-Bill
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks bill. would a upconverting dvd player fill the screen with these titles?
post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
thanks bill. would a upconverting dvd player fill the screen with these titles?
I'm not sure about other models, but my Oppo 971 doesn't. It does have many levels of zoom which can accomplish about the same thing, but either way: the disk simply doesn't have the pixels to make a nice wide image.

-Bill
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

that sucks. thanks for the info...how does the oppo scale with zoom? just like 2x? my sony kind of sucks at it
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
that sucks. thanks for the info...how does the oppo scale with zoom? just like 2x? my sony kind of sucks at it
It has half-step increments to 4x. And also zoom-out, for some reason.

I've tried watching letterboxed disks with zoom, but the quality just isn't there. Instead, the "fill" mode on my display enlarges a HD image about 10% without changing the aspect ratio, so I just use that. It still doesn't fill the screen.

I really don't blame the player. Non-anamorphic widescreen titles don't give us much to work with. When I had a 20" CRT I wondered what all this "anamorphic" talk was about. Now I know.

-Bill
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page