Samsung LCD vs. Philips LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2006, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Pretty new to the forum. I'm about to set up a small gaming rig in a spare bedroom so that I can get some HD gaming on while my wife is watching TV. I'm debating between two LCD displays, both about the same price (due to various discounts I have access to).

I'm debating between the Samsung LNS-2351W 23" LCD HDTV and the Philips 26PF5321D/37 26" LCD HDTV.

Samsung --> Manufacturer's Page
--> Amazon Page

Philips --> Manufacturer's Page

My biggest concern is picture quality. I'm obviously willing to take the hit on size if it means better PQ. The Philips at first glance seems to be the obvious choice. It has a builit-in HD tuner and it's bigger in size. However, it lacks a D-Sub connection, so it could not be used in conjunction with a computer. The contrast ratio seems to be MUCH lower on the Philips also. 600:1 on the Philips vs. 3000:1 on the Samsung. What does this mean to me in terns of PQ?

I'll primarily be using this set to play video games and watch DVD (and maybe HD DVDs down the road). A tuner would be nice, but I doubt I would use it that much.

So what do you experts think? :) Which of these two should I go with? Is there an even better alternative that I've somehow missed? My budget for this project is $650 MAYBE $700, but that's pushing it.

I appreciate any help anyone could offer. I've researched both of these until my eyes are bleeding, and it's still not perfectly clear to me which is the better bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2006, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it is a wash.

You could connect a computer through HDMI on the Philips. (But it doesn't sound like you want to connect a PC, just video games and DVDs??)

The Contrast Ratio difference is explained b/c Samsung lists Dynamic Contrast Ratio, and Philips lists Static Contrast Ratio. (Dynamic Contrast Ratio is the measurement with Dimming backlight activated). I think the rule of Thumb is multiply the Static Contrast Ratio by 4 to get the Dynamic. So that would put the Philips at 2400:1 vs. 3000:1 for the Samsung. (Of course most of these numbers don't mean anything, and cannot be validated with testing)

Will you be able to see a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Or, would you rather have a bigger screen?? It is up to you.

I would try to find a Store or Stores where you could see them in person, and then decide if the claimed PQ on the Sammy is worth the size reduction.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had a feeling that might be my response. :) It really is a wash, and I'm having a horrible time deciding. Let me perhaps ask a more general question.

Which manufacturer, Samsung or Philips, in general, has a better reputation for picture quality in LCD panels?

The problem with directly comparing the two, is that I can't find a store that carries both. The only place I've found that carries the Samsung (Circuit City), wasn't even feeding it HD content, so that compounds things as well.

I'm curious what others would do: go with the (IMO) better brand (Samsung) w/the smaller size, or go with bigger screen size in the Philips?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw both of these units right next to each other and IMO the Sammy won hands down...
I am new to LCD as I have always been a Plasma guy, but this little Sammy has made a BIG an impression on me..it's HD PQ rivals my Hitachi 42" plasma...I just didn't like the PQ on the Philips and the HUGE enclosure and even HUGER speaker array on the bottom was a real turnoff...to me the Sammy is so much better looking and designed...the all black bezel and the "hidden" and small speaker array is great....the Philips silver enclosure makes the set noticeably "bulkier" than the Sammy, but in reality, the "viewing area" was very similar...the 26" Philips is a mere 1.5 inches larger on each side...the picture area looked about the same size...the Sammy was far better to my eyes in both PQ and design...it really was a "no brainer"...

Hitachi CMP-4202U Pro 42" HD Plasma
Samsung LN-S2338W 23" Flat Panel LCD
Sony SVR-3000 460 Hour Network DVR w/Tivo
Tivo Series Two 40 Hour
Sony RDR-GX-7
Sony RDR-GX-300
Sony RDR GX-315
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page