Problem using Olevia 332h as PC Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a 332h and as you may know, it does not have a tuner. However, my desktop has a TV Tuner card.

Thus, I have hooked it up to my PC via VGA connection. But the TV is using a Plug and Play driver for the "monitor" and does not give me a resolution better than 1024x768. It's either that or 800x600.

How can I increase the resolution and at least get it to run in a widescreen resolution? I finally have a widescreen TV and cannot even properly run it.

Sorry if this is a complete newbie question, I'm new to this. Or if I'm going about this in a completely wrong way.

Thanks, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? I'm sure this is not model specific. I probably just do not know how to properly connect the TV to a computer.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

I own the 332H and I also use it as my monitor. We should be able to solve this pretty easily.

Get Properties on your desktop and choose the "Settings" tab. Next, choose the "Advanced" button and then select the "Monitor" tab. Make sure the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" option in UNchecked. Choosing OK should take you back to the Settings tab where you should be able to select 1360x768. That's the resolution you want ... it's the panel's native resolution.

If you still don't have the extra resolutions to choose from it could be because you have older video drivers installed. What video card do you have and when was the last time you upgraded the drivers?

If you are able to select the native resolution you'll then want to go into the settings on the TV for a few more adjustments. Bring up the menu and choose Screen -> Aspect Ratio and set it to 1:1 mode. Then choose Screen -> Cropping and turn it off. That should get you the 1:1 pixel mapping you want.

There's a couple of other settings you'll want to change while you're in there. Bring up the menu system again and choose Picture -> Noise Reduction and turn it off. I noticed faint mouse trails on my desktop when any level of noise reduction was enabled. Then go to Picture -> Mode -> Input and choose User. I also changed Picture -> Color Temp to 6500. After making those basic changes you should be ready to calibrate the brightness, contrast and color level for a great picture.

I'm really loving this TV. Let me know if you have any more questions.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, terrific. Thank you so much for the reply.

The "Hide modes" worked and allowed me to choose more resolutions. However, the native resolution still did not appear. I went online to update my drivers and found a more recent one, yet it still does not have the 1360x768 resolution.

I found one driver from 2004 and one from 2006. The 2004 one allowed me to select more resolutions while the 2006 one only allowed the two aforementioned in my original post. Odd.

It is an onboard video card, I believe. SiS 650_651_740. I am running Windows XP 32 bit.

I may have to take a video card from work to put on this desktop and try to run the native resolution. I don't know why the drivers are being difficult.

Once again, thank you very much and I will be sure to follow up on this some time tomorrow.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2006, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

I have no experience with the onboard SiS video but I'm guessing it isn't nearly as robust as a discrete card from nvidia or ATI. If you want to get the most from your new LCD tv I recommend upgrading the video card. The lower end cards from ATI and nvidia wont break the bank and it will make the experience with your new LCD tv much better. I'd go with a 7600gs or better on the nvidia side or a x1300 or better from ATI. Both can be had for about 100 bucks mail order or a little more from your local Best Buy / Circuit City.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125028

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102641

Either card will get you the native res on your TV and you wont have to worry about picture quality or if your card is fast enough for HD video.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page