Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 507 Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenLong View Post

Nah I think the VGA is messed up on the 332H/337H... everything I hooked up to the VGA port (xbox360, dvd player, cable box, HTPC) every one of them had tearing. It's an issue with that particular port because Component/HDMI look fine.

Not so sure this is right as I have purchased 3 of these for family members & tested all 3 VGA Ports with my Samsung 135 DVD Player & all had No tearing or any odd effect just Great Video Same as component port.

Keep in mind the Only thing I have tested was the Samsung through the VGA so I'm not in any way doubting this happened just stating my results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 507 Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Nah I think the VGA is messed up on the 332H/337H... everything I hooked up to the VGA port (xbox360, dvd player, cable box, HTPC) every one of them had tearing. It's an issue with that particular port because Component/HDMI look fine.

Is the tearing constant or intermittent? I'm using only the VGA port and I get intermittent tearing. I can't tell if it is a problem with the tv though.
post #93 of 507 Old 01-26-2007, 03:48 PM

Hard to say, I hooked up a Zenith HD receiver via VGA running at 720P and everything looks perfect. Real sharp and no visible tearing.
post #94 of 507 Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

Is the tearing constant or intermittent? I'm using only the VGA port and I get intermittent tearing. I can't tell if it is a problem with the tv though.

For me is was intermittent, but fairly constant! I didnt time it, but it seemed like every few minutes. I think the general consensus on this TV is when you use VGA you get tearing. It maybe some hardware defect, as there has been no firmware update to address it.
post #95 of 507 Old 01-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

>> For me is was intermittent, but fairly constant!

Same here on my 332H. If I move my HTPC over to the VGA port I'll see image tearing maybe three or four time in a half hour HD program I've recorded. If I switch back to HDMI and watch the same recorded program I get no tearing ever. I had the exact same issue on my prior Syntax LT26HVE.
post #96 of 507 Old 01-27-2007, 02:34 AM

Hello,

So I cannot get the audio out to work via the headphone jack. I am trying to connect it to a logitech speaker set and it just wont work. Any ideas?

I also cannot figure out how to flash the firmware. The instructions online suck and dont work from my experience.

Thanks in Advance.

Sam

| LN46A650 | PS3 | HD-A30 | X360 |
post #97 of 507 Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS21CA View Post

Hello,

So I cannot get the audio out to work via the headphone jack. I am trying to connect it to a logitech speaker set and it just wont work. Any ideas?

I also cannot figure out how to flash the firmware. The instructions online suck and dont work from my experience.

Thanks in Advance.

Sam

I registered my olevia and checked...I already have the newest firmware. Are you in need of the upgrade?

Quick question: anyone know if this set accepts 480i over HDMI?

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #98 of 507 Old 01-28-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

Quick question: anyone know if this set accepts 480i over HDMI?

Yes, it does (or at least, my 332H does). Although, I seem to have a weird problem where it displays 480i at 1.5:1 instead of 1.33:1 when it's coming through HDMI. I'm using a DirecTV HR20.

Don't know if there's a way to fix it. It does the same thing through component if I turn on the DVD player after the TV is already on and set to the component input (playing a 4x3 DVD). But, if I switch the input around and back to component, it reverts to 1.33:1 the way it should be.
post #99 of 507 Old 01-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Is the VGA cable included with the system? My 337H is coming. Eager to play with it. Thanks
post #100 of 507 Old 01-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijialin View Post

Is the VGA cable included with the system? My 337H is coming. Eager to play with it. Thanks

Nope, no cables except power.
post #101 of 507 Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:

A little bit of both. I say constant for the Xbox360 over VGA only when playing a game (looks fine in the dashboard). For the HTPC I dont use it for desktop usage (looks fine then) but when I try to watch a HD recorded show it pops up intermittently, also when I game on it.
post #102 of 507 Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM

I had a 337h briefly before returning because of this very issue with the VGA cable and my xbox 360. Tearing during games and dvd watching. Intermitten but annoying. I thought perhaps it was the cable, but I picked up a westinghouse 42inch screen and ive had no problems with the same setup.

-emerson
post #103 of 507 Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM

my laptop have only resolution of scale 4:3 without any schemes of 3:2, what shuold i do to have the 337 have the full display of 3:2?

Thanks,
Jialin
post #104 of 507 Old 02-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:

A little bit of both. I say constant for the Xbox360 over VGA only when playing a game (looks fine in the dashboard). For the HTPC I dont use it for desktop usage (looks fine then) but when I try to watch a HD recorded show it pops up intermittently, also when I game on it.

The tearing has alot to do with Vsync issues on the 360 games themselves. You can add more detail into the game if you dont worry about vsync. its a matter of graphics over performance.

JVC HD-56FN97 (4th Times A Charm)
PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 + HD-DVD
Motorola DCT6412 III HD/DVR Reciever (Comcast SF Bay Area)
post #105 of 507 Old 02-03-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surtr View Post

Hey all -

So I got mine all hooked up with Comcast HD today. Quick question: for HD broadcasts in 4:3, is there any way I can get it to stretch horizontally to fill the screen?

Thanks

-Justin

AFAIK, the TV will not stretch any Native HD (720P, 1080i) content. Basically the problem is your cable box outputs the entire 16:9 picture including the black bars if the show is actually in 4:3. Your only option would be to output in 480i or 480p (probably not what you wanted to hear) to get the full screen mode.

I want more Hi-res music!!!
post #106 of 507 Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic821 View Post

The tearing has alot to do with Vsync issues on the 360 games themselves. You can add more detail into the game if you dont worry about vsync. its a matter of graphics over performance.

Well that may be the case but there's no such tearing issues under the exact same setup (except TV's) on other LCD's I've tried.
post #107 of 507 Old 02-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Well that may be the case but there's no such tearing issues under the exact same setup (except TV's) on other LCD's I've tried.

Could be a refresh thing on those sets. Or a processing chip, but on every TV ive seen, any 360 game that tears, tears on all of them. Try playing saints row, its already a garbage game, but then the tearing makes it unplayable.

JVC HD-56FN97 (4th Times A Charm)
PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 + HD-DVD
Motorola DCT6412 III HD/DVR Reciever (Comcast SF Bay Area)
post #108 of 507 Old 02-04-2007, 08:44 PM

So, has the VGA screen tearing been solved thru a firmware update? I'm gonna use this as a PC monitor and I can't bear the idea of having that while watching HD DVDs or playing PC games.

Also, does it supports 1:1 pixel mapping thru its inputs (mainly thru VGA)?

Third and final, what about the response time, official tech specs is 8ms, but, is that real? anybody noticed any ghosting or blur with fast paced games (mainly pc games, FPS)?

Thanks!! the answer should help me on my decision of getting it or not....
post #109 of 507 Old 02-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex27 View Post

does it supports 1:1 pixel mapping thru its inputs (mainly thru VGA)?

yes
post #110 of 507 Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abellak View Post

I have a 337H that currently has the following hooked up:

Oppo 971 DVD Player - HDMI
Comcast Motorola Cable box - Component
Mac Mini - VGA

The HDMI feed is handling video & audio, the component input has its matching l/r inputs, and I have a connection from the Mac to the audio L/R inputs nearest the VGA port.

How does the mini look over VGA, have you had any tearing?
post #111 of 507 Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 PM

What does the firmware update for this TV do? The description on the Olevia site is the definition of vague.
post #112 of 507 Old 02-06-2007, 01:35 AM

Hey i noticed that it doesn't have a VHF/UHF input so how do i hook up basic cable with a coaxial cable, any suggestions? help is much appreciated.

*Note: i dont have anything, but the tv and the coaxial cable, so i just need to know what i need in order to hook it up this way. thanks in advance
post #113 of 507 Old 02-06-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runday View Post

Hey i noticed that it doesn't have a VHF/UHF input so how do i hook up basic cable with a coaxial cable, any suggestions? help is much appreciated.

*Note: i dont have anything, but the tv and the coaxial cable, so i just need to know what i need in order to hook it up this way. thanks in advance

This is an HDTV ready monitor, it doesn't have a integrated tuner. You need a cable box, or an external tuner and then connect it to the tv by component or HDMI.
post #114 of 507 Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex27 View Post

This is an HDTV ready monitor, it doesn't have a integrated tuner. You need a cable box, or an external tuner and then connect it to the tv by component or HDMI.

Could I hook the coaxial cable to a VCR and hook it up to the tv by composite? Because i really don't want to shell out a couple hundred for a tuner and i don't have a cable box. Even if i had a tuner, i don't want to hook it up via component because that means i would have to keep switching it out with my xbox 360.
post #115 of 507 Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runday View Post

Could I hook the coaxial cable to a VCR and hook it up to the tv by composite? Because i really don't want to shell out a couple hundred for a tuner and i don't have a cable box. Even if i had a tuner, i don't want to hook it up via component because that means i would have to keep switching it out with my xbox 360.

Yes you can, but... that would be SDTV I guess, why bother having an HDTV monitor then? You should be better getting a HDTV tuner, there are some not expensive ones like the samsung DTB-H260F, it picks unscrambled QAM and OTA HDTV signals, and that one has HDMI so you don't have to switch inputs with your 360.

Hope that helps!!
post #116 of 507 Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic821 View Post

Could be a refresh thing on those sets. Or a processing chip, but on every TV ive seen, any 360 game that tears, tears on all of them. Try playing saints row, its already a garbage game, but then the tearing makes it unplayable.

Well a game like Gears of War & Rainbow Six Vegas would tear on my 332H via VGA cable. Then I play on a different LCD using the same VGA cable & no tearing. It all goes away with component & to me the picture quality in game looks almost the same (I wanted to use xbox360 to upconvert dvd's though only possible through VGA cable). My main concern is the HTPC using VGA because HDMI switches are a bit expensive and I dont want to keep switching between DVI to HDMI (from HTPC) cable & the comcast cable box (using HDMI). It would be great if I could just use the VGA cable from HTPC & experience no tearing.
post #117 of 507 Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Well a game like Gears of War & Rainbow Six Vegas would tear on my 332H via VGA cable. Then I play on a different LCD using the same VGA cable & no tearing. It all goes away with component & to me the picture quality in game looks almost the same (I wanted to use xbox360 to upconvert dvd's though only possible through VGA cable). My main concern is the HTPC using VGA because HDMI switches are a bit expensive and I dont want to keep switching between DVI to HDMI (from HTPC) cable & the comcast cable box (using HDMI). It would be great if I could just use the VGA cable from HTPC & experience no tearing.

Thats my main concern too, I wanna buy this set, but since I'm gonna use for 90% PC monitor..... I'm doubting it.... I emailed olevia, to see if they have a fix for that, but sor far, silence...
post #118 of 507 Old 02-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker View Post

I'm using the 332H as my primary HTPC display and monitor. What you're wanting to do will work just fine. If the monitor will be used primarily for PC work (rather than movie watching) then I'd suggest going with a VGA connection instead of HDMI. These "analog to digital conversion issues" you're worried about simply don't exist unless you're trying to watch HDCP blu-ray or hd-dvd movies. Computer text is much sharper and clearer over the VGA connection at 1360x768. You'll get a nice, big, bright desktop that your father will have no trouble reading. Also, you'll want to run at 60Hz. LCD displays aren't subject to flicker at 60Hz like CRT displays. There's no reason to run it any higher.

Thanks, fdisker, for the helpful comments. I went ahead and bought the 337H for use as a PC monitor. After lots of experimentation, I agree with you that VGA is apparently a better mode for text. I got what is apparently exact 1:1 pixel mapping in DVI->HDMI mode, but certain colored text comes out multicolored. For example, light blue text might come out with parts of letters light blue, and parts of the letters black. White text might come out with letters that are partly white and partly yellow.

I haven't gotten into Powerstrip to see if this phenomenon can be fixed.

Anyone have an idea how to resolve this problem with DVI-> HDMI mode?

FYI I am using an Athlon PC with a 7600 GS card. The card has a dual-link DVI output, so I bought a dual-link DVI -> HDMI cable.
post #119 of 507 Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:

I can't find the manual on the Syntax site. Is there some place it can be downloaded?

The online user manual is at

http://64.168.125.230/support/Syntax...UserManual.pdf

This is the same manual as comes on the CD-ROM included in the monitor shipping box. It is a 28Mb PDF download.

The manual gives the usual hookup guides, and goes through the onscreen menus in detail. It is very weak, however, in explaining the actual function of the menu choices. Overall, a "D-grade" manual.
post #120 of 507 Old 02-07-2007, 11:23 PM

After quite a bit of experimentation, I have found these settings best for PC VGA on the 337H monitor. My setup is an Athlon PC with a 7600 GS card. (I purchased the NVIDIA card because the built-in video on the PC could be made to output 1360x768, but the screen was not very clear.)

Percentages refer to the colored bar across the bottom of the screen during non-discrete adjustments. 0% is the bar at the far left. 100% is the bar extended all the way to the right.

Optimal VGA Mode Settings

Picture
Brightness: 20%
Noise Reduction: Off (but I couldn't tell the difference!)
Mode
Lighting: Dark Room (the others were too bright for my eyes)
Power up: Home
Sharpness: 100% (Lower makes text blurry.)
Tint: 50%
Color: 50%
Color Temp: 6500
Contrast: 70%
Setup
Firmware: Check this vs. the web site. By the way, on the web
site, you have to register and enter your serial number before
they will tell you the latest firmware version. As of 2/5/07, it is
337_B11 V0130_L
DPMS: On. (see note below)
Screen
Adjustment
H and V Position -- I found a few pixels worth of adjustment
worthwhile.
Auto Sync -- useful if the screen seems off. It helped the first time.
Fine Tune: 100%. (0% also works, but in-between makes text blurry)
Source: VGA
Cropping: Off
Aspect Ratio: 1 : 1 mode

NOTE: This monitor is not Energy Star compliant. It does not have the facility to respond to the PC Turn monitor off power saving feature.

However, according to the manual, TV and Backlight will shut off automatically when no video source is detected when DPMS is active. This simply doesn't work on my monitor when I turn the PC off. The TV and Backlight remain on. I spoke to Olevia tech support. They had no clue, and didn't think the feature was actually implemented.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Do I have a defective unit? I'd love to have the TV and backlight shut off automatically when the PC is off.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page