Plasma or LCD? Please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sure this has been discussed many many times over the years - but I am a newbie to the flat screen world. I have heard that plasma TV's - once they go - you have to throw themout. With LCD - you replace the bulb.

At a store yesterday the sales guy told me that plasmas run for 60,000 hours which is about 13 - 20 years, same as LCD. LCD bulb replacement is around $1000. So its not a big deal to get a plasma and just replace it.

Is this true? CAn anyone here assist with the hours LCD vs Plasma and replacement, etc etc.

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
LCD's Flat panels are liquid crystal diplays and do not have a bulb to replace. You are thinking about DLP projection TV's. Life expectancy of Flat panels (Plasma and LCD's) are about the same.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

LCDs have backlights, typically rated for 30,000-60,000 hours. These backlight bulbs are nowhere near $1000 anymore, normally less than $200. - DR
post #4 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm1x
I am sure this has been discussed many many times over the years - but I am a newbie to the flat screen world. I have heard that plasma TV's - once they go - you have to throw themout. With LCD - you replace the bulb.

At a store yesterday the sales guy told me that plasmas run for 60,000 hours which is about 13 - 20 years, same as LCD. LCD bulb replacement is around $1000. So its not a big deal to get a plasma and just replace it.

Is this true? CAn anyone here assist with the hours LCD vs Plasma and replacement, etc etc.

Thanks a bunch!
Hope this will help you a little bit. Keep in mind that I'm talking generally, depending on brand can alter these values, make sure to find out what the manufacturer is claiming.

Plasma: 60,000 hours (usually 15-20 years watching about 6 hours a day) to 1st half-life. Half life = plasma burning at 50% brightness than when you first got it. Basically, the brightness gradually dims on the tv over time. Tube tv's do this as well. Most people don't notice, and if you did you can increase the brightness setting on the tv to improve it. In my opinion, if you get a good name brand plasma, you SHOULD get about a good 25-30 years out of it, at least. Realistically, you could go 50+, but there's a lot of factors in that. It's true, when the plasma finally burns out, there is no recharging. You would have to get another panel, which in most cases costs more than the tv. Plasma's strengths in general are great contrasts and black levels, fast refresh rate (avg 4-5ms), and no "bulb" or backlight. Widest viewing angle. Cons: Potential for temporary burn-in for static images on the screen for several hours, but most tv's are incorporating pixel-movement technologies and whitewash features to just about eliminate it. And once the plasma panels are out, there is no repair. Gotta get a new tv. More heat displacement. The glass can cause glare if you have a window or light sorce opposite the tv.

LCD: 60,000 hours backlight life. dr0s had it correct, the replacement backlights have dropped significantly, but generally, the bigger the tv, the bigger the price tag on backlight replacement. Pixels, if they go out, can be repaired. Pros: No burn in, virtually no glare, lightweight, consumes less energy, awesome for pc monitors and gaming. Cons: Backlight can "bleed" around the pixels, causing a "foggy" appearance, this varies with brand. Not as high of a contrast as most plasmas, some have slightly slower refresh rates than plasmas.

Hope this helped out a little bit!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 PM

How do you actually repair dead pixels?

Looking forward to entering audio/visual nirvana
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM

ha! I'm not 100% sure, never seen it done, but this is basically how I've heard them do it.

"On a flat panel display, a substrate has a first pixel region and a second pixel region defined by a first data line and a second data line extended vertically, and a first gate line and a second gate line extended horizontally. A first pixel electrode and a second pixel electrode are formed in the first pixel region and the second region respectively. The first data line has an opening, and a first broken point and a second broken point are formed between the opening in the second pixel region. A method of repairing the first data line comprises steps of: electrically connecting the first data line and the first pixel electrode within the first pixel region; electrically connecting the first pixel electrode and the second pixel electrode; and electrically connecting the second pixel electrode and the second broken point of the first data line within the second pixel region."
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a million you guys for the great info. With the plasma prices right now.. might shoot for one of those phillips at sams club for about 1200 bucks for a 42 inch.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page