Concerns with my Westinghouse/LCDs in general - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2006, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if my questions have been repeated ad nauseum, I couldn't really find my issues by searching and I've been obsessing about returning the TV and getting a more expensive brand.

TV is a Westinghouse LCD I got last week, the LVM-32w6. Inputs connected are upconverting DVD to HDMI, PC to VGA, hopefully soon an Xbox360 to component. Tried OTA HD but city only has 2 digital channels reachable, ABC and CBS.

Problem 1: I'm coming from a 27" CRT. Do all LCDs have a slight stutter with DVDs? It's not ghosting or blur, it's like when there are large objects, such as buildings, and the camera pans, it looks like a stutter. I don't see it on close-ups, just far shots with both 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 pictures. Is this an effect of 3:2 pulldown? Because I don't think I see it on digital video such as in a documentary. Or is the Westinghouse just not up to snuff since it's a budget model?

Problem 2: The VGA input from my HTPC looks fuzzy, both at 1360x768 and 1280x768. There are very faint, vertical lines across the whole screen and the text looks kind of fuzzy. I tried DVI-HDMI from the Radeon9700 and it looked very crisp and nice, but I can't use that cable because of the upconverting DVD I have, plus when you use DVD-HDMI on this TV, resolutions (such as VESA 1024x768 etc.) for programs such as games and MAME do not work (sometimes even crashing the program). I even tried two different VGA cables, one from monoprice (with ferrite coil ends) and one from work. I don't think it's my video card, as I've had it connected to different displays without the problem. Any ideas?

If I were to exchange (it's from BB), what would be a good model up to a few hundred dollars more? I know the Toshibas and JVCs don't take PC input above 1024x768, so those are out. What about Samsung? All's I know is that 32" LCD is what I need.

Much thanks in advance AVS experts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
#1 yes it sounds like 3:2 pulldown, it has to show up on CRT as well
#2 Try DVI, you may need to adjust timings in advanced menui
post #3 of 3 Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
pete4, do you mean use the DVI output with a DVI-VGA adapter? I haven't tried that yet.

I did try using a DVI-HDMI cable and the picture was great at 1360x768, but the HDMI port doesn't like any res. except for 1360x768.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page