purchasing my first LCD, would appreciate feedback/thoughts - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After some research I see that Daytek, Polaroid, Viewsonic, and Olivia are the only brands that make a 37" LCD HDTV for $1,000 (my roof - the most I can spend) After further reading on the brands, it seems to me that Polaroid sounds like the best choice.

The only/biggest reasons people didn't like the model I'm looking at (FLM3732) is the fact that the speakers are subpar and there's only 1 HDMI input. I don't want to go for a 32" HDTV of a better brand name because my room is fairly large, and I need to have a bigger screen. I would be using the TV mostly for watching DVDs and an occasional game of hockey on PS2. My biggest concerns is life span, making sure the TV's image quality beats my current p.o.s. ancient Sony CRT out of the box, and making sure there's no pixel lag or burn-in or anything of the sort. Any thoughts/suggestions or reasons why I shouldn't go for this TV and go for another TV? Also, if someone could explain the preference of people for having more than 1 HDMI input?

Since I'm a new member, it won't let me post the URL to Circuit City's product page for FLM3732 but you can find it on there with ease if you wanna overlook the TV's specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 PM

look at the J&R site for the lvm-37w3 westinghouse LCD monitor and buy that its the best just search the forums here for info about this LCD its the best for PC,game machine and dvd input since it has no tuner but its also a true 1080p LCD for around a 1000 and was even there a week ago nay go that low again!
post #3 of 4 Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 PM

The Westinghouse might be a good deal on a 1080 display, but with a "fairly large room" and only 37" you won't see all 1080 of that resolution at anything further than 5 feet away.

The biggest concern you listed was life span. I say, go for the Viewsonic, they have years of experience with making long-lived LCD panels. Are you looking at the Viewsonic N3760W or the N3751W? Either is a good choice, I think you'll love it.

Salut!
-3Gun
post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

There is a 40" Viewsonic at Fry's for a grand (model N4060W) but it seems like Viewsonic got poor reviews on most of the sites. What are your suggestions based on? As far as lifespan, I don't even use the TV all that often - by lifespan I meant security in knowing that the TV won't have any issues within the first few years (by then LCD prices should be lower, quality higher, and sizes larger at smaller costs)

Also, although the room is large, my bed & couch are both within 8-10 feet of the TV. I think a 37" would do fine for me (though obviously I'd love to have something larger, just can't afford it) and I think it's pretty unhealthy to sit any closer to a TV than that :)

Why is there so little info on the Polaroid LCDs? Aside from the CircuitCity site (where most reviewers raved about the TV but came off as if they didn't know anywhere near as much as you guys here do) I wasn't able to find much more info on this brand's TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page