Request buying advice - Panasonic plasma vs. Samsung LCD vs. Toshiba LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2006, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm a UK visitor here and I'm on the market for a HD display at around the 1000-pound mark (although this is flexible to a certain extent). I've just come back from a shopping trip with my girlfriend and we've demoed a Panasonic Viera plasma (code TH42PX60) which we were very impressed with. We'd likely go for a 37" model though as the living room isn't that large!

We've also managed to see the two other sets that we were recommended, but only with very poor video sources being fed through them (damn Currys putting the same video through 20 TVs!). The sets are the Toshiba WLT66 and the Samsung R74BX (I think).

I'd be interested to hear if anyone had any opinions on the relative value of these three sets. We were impressed by the colour, contrast and refresh rate of the Panasonic plasma. Is it worth demoing the other sets with an HD source or should we disregard them? Are there any other sets that we should demo in their place?

The TV will mainly be used for watching DVDs (in standard def for now, through a Denon 1920) and for Xbox 360 video gaming. I have surround sound so onboard sound is not important. A freeview decoder would be very useful however.

Any opinons or links to reviews of any of the products would be most gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

personally I prefer the look of a plasma, they seem more 3-d & realistic to me than a LCD does. The plasma you've selected is an excellent one.

However, I would chose a LCD in several instances... much of the viewing done in high ambinet light situations or a 50% or more of "display turned on time" spent gaming.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi why2not,

Many thanks for your reply. After seeing the Panasonic yesterday I'm inclined to agree with you about preferring the look of plasma over LCD. The LCDs seemed quite garish and too sharp in comparison.

It's likely that the set will be used more for DVD watching and general TV viewing than for video games. However, I'd be interested to know about why there is a disadvantage for the opposite - is it because of possible burn-in?

Thanks again. Regards,

Dave
Old 12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, IR/burn in concern, paticularly if you leave the set in "torch mode". I use a LCD for gaming & a plasma for general viewing. I have heard things like "2 hours general viewing for every 1 hour of game play" (in order to prevent burn in). Also, no game play for the first 200 hours, etc.

For me, it's just easier not to game on the plasma.