Sharp Aquos 52D62U or Panny TH50PX60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can purchase the Sharp at an employee discount for $750 more than the Panny. I looked at both sets at Best Buy and Sears and liked the picture on the Panny a little better than the Sharp and I didn't see any banding on the Sharp. I plan on putting the TV in a room with above average ambient light and am concerned about the glare on the Panny. Should I go with the Sharp because of the glare issues and take my chances with the banding issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Bump. Does anyone have an opinion on these two TVs?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Well, I just compared the two smaller versions of these sets, the 42D62 and the 42PX60. I settled on the Sharp for some of those same ambient light reasons you mention. Plus, I like the overall PQ of the Sharp as they have great blacks for LCD and Sharps have always good response times and such. During my comparisons, I definitely liked the PQ of the Panny and it was a TOUGH choice. I just feel that LCD is a little more versatile in its uses and not as fussy. Plasmas look the BEST with movies, IMO. I'd like to see plasma do somethign with the CRT-like glass screens...why cant they use a more "matte" style screen for them? And Yes I know that the curtains can be closed and all that but on a Sunny fall day for football, I dont want to do the "dracula" thing and close the house up like its haunted or something. We like Sunshine for the rare times we get it in upstate NY in the fall and winter! :cool:

To be honest, if I had a dedicated theater room and was doing mostly movies I would have grabbed the Panny without hesitation. Burn in doesnt really concern me either, but the 100 hour break-in period kind of did. By the time the break-in period would have been done my 30-day return window *could* have been closed.

The Sharp is still "under review" and I have about two weeks left to decide whether or not to keep it but unless something starts to go wrong with it, IM sticking with it.

Again....Panny plasmas are AWESOME TV's and someday I may even have one.

Just my 2 cents....
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page