Panasonic vs. Philips 32" LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2006, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I am currently in the market for a 32" LCD. I have compared these 2 screens side by side and am very impressed with both. However, there are some sticking points with each that makes it difficult for decide which way to go. I am hoping others opinions on either screen will sway me one way or the other. Let me summarize the benefits of each screen over the other.

Panasonic TC-32LX60

Can customize display settings by source
Backlight Brightness Adjustment
12/12/12 (parts/labor/inhome warranty)
Panasonic proven better repair record
Narrower Cabinet Size (Speakers below screen)

Philips 32PF7321D

Better SD picture (I weigh this heavily since most content I view is still SD)
2 Component video input vs 1 on the panasonic
4 Composite video input vs 3 on the panasonic (not all that important)
Lower price (Not mentioning price, I hope it is alright that i can post this fact)

Well those are the main points.

Can anyone shed some light ont he differences between the Philips 32PF7321D and the 32PF7421D. I am looking at the Consumer Reports listing with the 7321 for comparison.

Also, is the difference between the Panasonic TC-32LX60 and the LX600 worth it?

Thanks very much,
Scott G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

The Philips does not have better SD quality than the Panasonic; we chose the Panny over other sets (including the Philips) mainly for the SD quality (though the Philips SD quality is quite good too). When you compared, did you adjust the settings? A properly calibrated 32LX/E60(0) is great for SD PQ, but the sets at the store tend to be set for vivid mode with sharpness cranked up and the irritating AI setting on; this makes the SD image look grainy and splotchy.

The LX600 gets you an extra HDMI input (which is well worth it if you have 2 HDMI devices) and (in theory) slightly better picture processing.

The Philips is also an excellent set, and I'm not sure that we would have chosen the Panny had the Philips been much cheaper.

There is a substantial thread on the Panasonic LCD sets: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=657286
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2006, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I had tweaked the settings on both sets to their "standard" or "normal" settings rather than the vivid. I did not play with sharpening, noise reduction or the AI mode. Actually, I did try turning AI on and off briefly, but did not see an immediate difference. I did not try to compare AI on and off too the Philips. I'll have to return to the store for more toying.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page