Plasma or LCD? HD sports and xbox360 Can't decide, please help!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking online and at many stores at plasmas and lcd flat panels for my pool room but i can't decide. Please help.

lighting: I can adjust the lighting all i want.

distance: anywhere, pool table in the middle of the room so i would be anywhere from 3' to 15' away, bar being about 10' away.

max size: around 42" with cost as factor

what i watch: 90% HD sports (with HDMI comcast High Def)

game system: xbox and NES hooked up now but possibly xbox 360 and or/ PS3 off and on.

price range: max 2,500 to 3,000

sets i have been looking at:

LCD: Westinghouse 37w3, 42w2, 47w1
Sharp LC-D6U or D90U maybe?
Sony KDL-40xbr2 or 3 (kinda pricey)
JVC LT-40FN97

Plasma:
Hitachi 42HDT79
Pioneer PDP-5070HD or 43" version (CNETs favorite ones)
Panasonic TH-PX600U 42" (Consumer reports best friend)

anyone else have 360 and watch a lot of HD sports? burn in a problem still? lcd shadowing a big problem? i am insterested in 1080p with any of the LCDs but dont know if i should just get a "cheaper" 720p plasma that would make me just as happy for less....

please help!

thanks,

Linkin8r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 08:05 PM

I have a Panasonic 50PX60, watch tons of HD sports (mostly hockey) and have an Xbox 360. You really can't go wrong with it.

I was pretty careful for the first 100-200 hours, but now I pretty much do whatever I want on it and there are no issues whatsoever. I don't even notice image retention after hours of gaming. It's pretty rare that a game will have an OSD constantly up in the same place so those pixels should always get a break every few minutes (cutscene, loading screen, etc)

But yeah, it's an amazing TV. Great viewing angles when I have a bunch of people over. Everyone who comes over comments on how incredible it looks. If you have (or are getting) a PS3, I guess it'd be nice to have a 1080p display.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 08:34 PM

I've been debating these same exact issues in my TV search. I'll be watching a lot of HD sports and still don't think the best LCDs cut it (only my opinion) in terms of fast moving images.

However I've got a PS3 on order and am scared to death of burning in a $2K investment. Also, I can't decide how important 1080p is in the whole scheme of things. Guess if I go plasma in my price range, I'll have 720p anyway.

The TV is going in an entertainment center and 42" is the biggest I can go.

Lighting is not a big issue for me either.

Any thoughts that may help me decide?
post #4 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 09:22 PM

1080p is not noticeable, especially at 7 feet away on any screen smaller than 60 inches. And even 60 is pushing it. I personally have a Samsung LNS3251d and love it, I watch alotta sports and it looks awesome. I haven't played a 360 or PS3 on it yet but I heard this TV is one of the best for HD Gaming. Hell, they even used my model on the Today show to show off the power of the 360 and PS3.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

This is my dilemma, exactly. I bought a Samsung 4695D 46" LCD last week...I am about to exchange it @ BB for a Samsung plasma. The LCD had cloudy backlight issues (when scenes turn dark, I notice patches of white cloud appearance). I also get pixellation with fast moving sports.

The move to plasma is not 100% great either. I am a big gamer and I am concerned about burn-in. Also, XBOX360 and PS3 take advantage of 1080p and the Sammy plasma I am getting is not 1080p. I am not sure a plasma would be as sharp for gaming as an LCD.

I am still on the fence. Tough decision!!!
post #6 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 PM

From what I've garnered in my research, the difference you get in detail from Plasma vs. LCD pretty much makes you forget all about whether or not your set is 1080p or 720p. What good is all that detail if you are unsatisfied with your LCD picture quality already when it comes to pixellation issues? You could get the best of both worlds and get a 1080p plasma, but I doubt many people here would tell you it's worth the premium it costs to get it on a plasma right now.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop
From what I've garnered in my research, the difference you get in detail from Plasma vs. LCD pretty much makes you forget all about whether or not your set is 1080p or 720p. What good is all that detail if you are unsatisfied with your LCD picture quality already when it comes to pixellation issues? You could get the best of both worlds and get a 1080p plasma, but I doubt many people here would tell you it's worth the premium it costs to get it on a plasma right now.
Interesting. So you feel plasma is more detailed than LCD? I am concerned about that, cause I do feel my LCD was razor sharp with XBOX360. Of course, the pixellation and cloudy backlight bothers me...not to mention, the crappy black levels.

Are you saying that you can't tell a difference between a 1080p LCD and a 720p plasma? I have heard you can't tell the difference until you go to a 60 or 70 inch tv.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
You have to be under 6ft. to benefit from 1080p on a 42" panel. Closer still for a 40" panel. You have the occasional person around here who swears they can see the difference from much further distances, but they're mistaken. Independent experts are all in agreement on this point.

Assuming they're already happy with their panels in general, both plasma & LCD owners seem to swear by the quality of their gaming experiences, stating that the images are fantastic. Up close, 1080p LCD will be more detailed, but a good 720p plasma ain't too shabby in this regard either and then it compensates some more with a bit better color depth and shadow detail. In either case, you end up with a "wow" experience. Which one will you prefer or satisfy you more? Who knows. The rest is up for you to decide, being that you are an individual, blah blah blah, etc. :cool:

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions
you have to be within 6ft. to benefit from 1080p on a 42" panel. Slightly closer for a 40" LCD panel. You have the occasional person here who swears they can see the difference from much further distances, but they're mistaken. Independent experts are all in agreement on this point.

Assuming they're already happy with their panels in general, both plasma & LCD owners seem to swear by the quality of their gaming experiences, stating that the images are fantastic. Up close, 1080p LCD will be more detailed, but a good 720p plasma ain't too shabby in this regard either and then it compensates some more with a bit better color depth and shadow detail. In either case, you end up with a "wow" experience. Which one will you prefer or satisfy you more? Who knows. The rest is up for you to decide, being that you are an individual, blah blah blah, etc. :cool:
Interesting. I guess I will decide tomorrow whether to stick with LCD or go the plasma route. Since I pretty much split my time equally between sports, movies and gaming...I will have to make a decision that will give me the best picture for all 3. Not an easy decision. My LCD has a terrific picture for the most part...until you get to really dark scenes. In REALLY dark scenes, you can make out the white cloud issue. As far as XBOX 360....the LCD shines...but is a little bit washed out as well...certainly not as rich in color as a CRT or anything. For example...in the opening cut scene in 'Gears of War'...the blacks look grey...not too great. In my opinion, LCD's really shine in bright scenes.

I guess I will just have to compare the two and see what I like better. I will be watching from about 9 feet away.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

i went to tweeter today to take another look at some of the setups and the person reccomended the SOny KDL40V2500 40" LCD knowing that i game and watch sports. it was about 2k and now that is another one i need to add to my list.

anyone else have any of the sets i mentioned and pros and cons?

linkin8r
post #11 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 AM

My only opinion here would be I like my plasma for everything. Sports are just awesome on my 42". I can get as close as 2" from it and it still looks great. Movies are awesome. I have reports on this forum that games look great to but no personal experience for me yet. Maybe once I'm past the 100 hour break in.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page