Olevia 332/532 (LCD) vs Samsung TXS3082 (CRT) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I am limiting the budget to a max of $700 after any tax or shipping. Buydig has an Olevia 332h that fits that, and I might be able to score a Samsung TXS3082 for under that too, likely from Amazon (bestbuy has one but it would go over my limit after tax).

this is mainly for blu-ray and PS3/X360 viewing. I have a lot of DVD's, and watch regular cable (dorm room), so it has to be able to display SDTV just as well. This is why I am deciding on the Olevia 332 instead of the 532 because the 2 and 5 series use the ATi chip, that sounds as if it has problems with non-HD resolutions.

does anyone have experience with both, or at least with one that can give me a good view at least on that set?
really, I would like CRT because CRT's have better color production then LCD's, and that would be MUCH better black levels, and much higher contrast levels, which should leave shadows in great detail as well. but sadly, the CRT doesn't have 1080p (that can be dealt with), but while it supports 720p, I'd imagine it'd scale it up to 1080i, which means interlacing is again introduced.. something I don't want anymore. progressive is so much cleaner of an image, so much sharper. I'd rather 720p over 1080i, unless someone can truly spell out any reasoning otherwise, because in my mind I see 1080i being worse due to the interlacing.

and specifically, I've been hearing issues with PS3 and support for 1080i on sets that don't support 720p. I can't really explain that issue any more because I am not really aware of the full problem and what scenario it is presented it. If anyone understands the issue, please explain. It may force me into the LCD purchase without me even realize that.

so... anyone want to help me pick based on everything I have said, and/or suggest a different set that will perform better and fit my budget? remember, black level is extremely important to me, as is response time for gaming, and overall contrast. link's to pro reviews, if any, would be great. I read one for the Olevia 532 from TPV.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

another question:
the spec sheet states "maximum 800 lines horizontal resolution"...
does this mean the tv can only do 800 horizontal lines.. like in 720p would be 720 horizontal lines, and this is 800 lines?

does that mean, while it would take a 1080i resolution and scale it to fit 800, it would take 720p and either scale it to 800p, or make black bars?
if this can do 720p and keep it progressive, I may just do take it.

here's a link to the spec sheet:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/S...es/txs3082.pdf

can it take 720p through HDMI? first it states native resolutions as 1080i, 480p, and 480i, whereas it states for component input specifically, it will autoswitch between 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i. any ideas here? anyone used to confusing tv tech speak where they skip a lot of details?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

bump for the day crowd
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page