Plasma vs. LCD vs. RPT - 46' - 60' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2006, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
sir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the choice to be made for a room with regular light and 12-16 feet viewing distance.
First concern is PQ - the unit will be used for watching DVD movies (SD and HiDef), cable/satellite (SD and HiDef) and also I would like to connect my HTPC to it.
Any inputs, comments and suggestions are very welcome. I am planning to purchase the unit sometime around Christmas.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Another plasma vs lcd thread? Do some reading and searching of the forum. This has been asked and fought about many, MANY times here.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1
Another plasma vs lcd thread? Do some reading and searching of the forum. This has been asked and fought about many, MANY times here.
Thank you for taking your time and help.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I don't think they make any TVs as big as 46' - besides, you'd need what, about a 35' high ceiling? :p

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 AM

what's funny is, at work, I'm ususally the smart ass.... but enough of all that. I'm at home now.

I'm pretty much an LCD guy. However, this is a much easier choice for me, as my viewing distance is only 8'. I think if my viewing distance were as much as 12 ft, and especially, as much as 16', I'd strongly conconsider one of the new, top tier rear projection sets..... in at least a 65", if not 70" !

Funny thing is, if you had asked me about rear projection sets only 6 months ago, I would have talked all kinds of garbage, basing my knowledge of these sets (like MANY people do) on outdated info. However, recently I have been seeing the 70" 1080p Sony at my local BB, and it looks REALLY good from 12" to 16" !!! Even the off center viewing is not too bad..... way better than just a few years ago.
I think they were asking like $7k for it. A ton of money for me.... but maybe doable for you.

If you haven't looked at rear projection sets lately, you might clear your memory of them, and look again.

Aside from the rear projection models, I think Samsung recently came out with a 70" LCD..... but I'm gessing it's in the $20k range !

Personally speaking, after getting used to a 46" set from only an 8ft viewing distance, it's going to take quite a 'big' set to please me from 12ft to 16ft.

Peace,
Fish
post #6 of 7 Old 12-12-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
what's funny is, at work, I'm ususally the smart ass.... but enough of all that. I'm at home now.

I'm pretty much an LCD guy. However, this is a much easier choice for me, as my viewing distance is only 8'. I think if my viewing distance were as much as 12 ft, and especially, as much as 16', I'd strongly conconsider one of the new, top tier rear projection sets..... in at least a 65", if not 70" !

Funny thing is, if you had asked me about rear projection sets only 6 months ago, I would have talked all kinds of garbage, basing my knowledge of these sets (like MANY people do) on outdated info. However, recently I have been seeing the 70" 1080p Sony at my local BB, and it looks REALLY good from 12" to 16" !!! Even the off center viewing is not too bad..... way better than just a few years ago.
I think they were asking like $7k for it. A ton of money for me.... but maybe doable for you.

If you haven't looked at rear projection sets lately, you might clear your memory of them, and look again.

Aside from the rear projection models, I think Samsung recently came out with a 70" LCD..... but I'm gessing it's in the $20k range !

Personally speaking, after getting used to a 46" set from only an 8ft viewing distance, it's going to take quite a 'big' set to please me from 12ft to 16ft.

Peace,
Fish
Hi Chris,

I do have a 50' RPTV Sony GW (3 years old). Also I have a 40'LCD Sony Bravia in my bedroom. I am preaty pleased with both of them but now I want to install another unit in the basement's family room. Sony KDSR70XBR2 looks good but is way too expensive for my budget . Also I was looking at KDSR60XBR2. This one looks good too. So this is the reason to post here, maybe other people have different experience with these RPTV, Plasm or LCD units. I didn't have a plasma TV and I do not have any experience with them.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-12-2006, 06:17 PM

that you might want to check out. It's the JVC HD-70FN97. The MSRP is $4799, but I bet you could get one for $3000 to $3300 if you were to look around for a bit.
Only thing is, hopefully this 70" JVC rear projection set will be easier to find / purchase, than my 46" JVC LCD was !!!

It seems to me that JVC makes some really nice stuff, but at least here in the US, they seem to have some marketing and availability issues :-(

Peace,
Fish

PS, Yes..... just did a quick check..... Buydig.com ....go check the price :-)
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page