Torn between the Panasonic TH50PX60 and Sharp Aquos LC46D62U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I'm new to the forum (led by a friend and it's been great reading all the topics discussed here).

So I'm recently shopping around for my big-screen upgrade, and having a very hard time deciding between the Panny and Sharp. After reading some threads here, the panny seems to gather a wider acceptance than sharp. But I just found a cheaper price for the 46D62U than TH50 and its non-burn-in-worries + 1080p native resolution is really hard to pass up! Plus after seeing both in stores, the individual pixels on the Panny are pretty easy to tell at a close range.

What worries me most about the Sharp, however, is its infamous "Banding issues" and when watching movies with darker scenes the details aren't as visible as the Panny. I tried my Van Helsing SD DVD using Pscan and it was comparatively much harder to make out ANYTHING from the 1st few scenes, could be the bright lights in store, though. Interestingly enough, the Samsung has both beat with that movie...

I've been waiting a very long time for my flat pannel purchase (was hoping for the score to settle between LCDs and Plasmas, which, seems to be a looooong way down the road), and the more I read about both technology, the more confused I am about what I truly need? Which is why I am resorting to this forum and seeking some more advise from the more experienced folks here.

I enjoy watching a lot, and I mean a LOT of movies (which ironically is what stoping me from getting into the next-gen DVD warfare, it is simply be a big headache to even think about rebuying all my DVDs); watch a few basketball, soccer, and some Discovery.

Would it be wise for me to adopt the Panny over Sharp, albeit its higher price and lower native resolution? Or the Sharp for its "future-proof" 1080p and probably a better bang for the buck in my case?

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: Both models recieved 7.5 from CNET, which really doesn't help with my decision making...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I chose the panny in a similar decision. As a good friend of mine once told me, no one ever says "I wish I had a smaller TV." 780p/1080i works for me. By the time everything gets to 1080p, I'll want a new set anyway
post #3 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarsoca View Post

I chose the panny in a similar decision. As a good friend of mine once told me, no one ever says "I wish I had a smaller TV." 780p/1080i works for me. By the time everything gets to 1080p, I'll want a new set anyway

Yeah the size is another factor I have consider, but after looking at the 2, 46' and 50' doesn't seem like a lot. Both were dwarfed by the 60+ inchers in store heh.

After some more reading around the net, I've come to the conclusion that both sets are more or less equal in PQ(each with its strengths and weaknesses), so the real concern becomes wether the Banding is as serious as it sounds for Sharp, and if the burn-in is worth the risk for Panny?
post #4 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 PM

Honestly, from my experience I would def go with the Panny. I had a Pioneer 5070 Plasma for 3 weeks and the thing looked amazing. The thing that bothered me was the risk of burn in. I didn't want to take the chance so I returned it and went the Aquos 52" LCD and had banding on the set. It wasn't too bad but did notice the bands during hockey the most so I exchanged it for another one. The new one just came today and the banding is horrible. The banding is 50% worse on the new set. I boxed the set up right away and am returning it tomorrow. In all likelyhood I am going back to the Pioneer 5070. I am just going to break the set in even more than the first time. If the Sharp didn't have the bands I would have probably kept the set. Other than the bands the set is pretty good. The only other beef with the Sharp is that the viewing angle isn't even close to Plasma's. The colours and blacks wash out by just moving a couple of feet from the center.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 09:08 PM

As you have probably read, Sharp is aware of the banding issue and claims to have taken care of it in numerous ways including exchanging the affected sets. It also appears that the 42" model has fewer occurences of this issue based on a poll on this forum.

The decision to buy one brand and model over another is exclusively yours to make. The 42" sharp I have is flawless and I am really happy with it. I think I would have been equally happy with any of the other name brand models LCD sets including the panny. I purposely stayed away from the new players until they can show themselves to have the quality and track record of the long time players.

The plasma TV's are really good for their black levels but the risk of screen burn is too great for me in the particular environment my TV's have to operate in. The next best black level is the Aquos LCD so thats what I went with.

The banding issue did not scare me away. I would have immediately returned the set and gotten another one had anything been wrong with the TV. As of now I have had the Sharp for 2 weeks so longevity is still in question but the TV runs practically all day and never skips a beat.

The particular TV I have has a starting serial number of 611 and according to the firmware version date in the service menu was built in October of 2006 so I think it is fresh off the truck and that sharp was already well aware of the banding by that time and took steps to correct the issue to curb the RMAs.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post

As you have probably read, Sharp is aware of the banding issue and claims to have taken care of it in numerous ways including exchanging the affected sets. It also appears that the 42" model has fewer occurences of this issue based on a poll on this forum.

The decision to buy one brand and model over another is exclusively yours to make. The 42" sharp I have is flawless and I am really happy with it. I think I would have been equally happy with any of the other name brand models LCD sets including the panny. I purposely stayed away from the new players until they can show themselves to have the quality and track record of the long time players.

The plasma TV's are really good for their black levels but the risk of screen burn is too great for me in the particular environment my TV's have to operate in. The next best black level is the Aquos LCD so thats what I went with.

The banding issue did not scare me away. I would have immediately returned the set and gotten another one had anything been wrong with the TV. As of now I have had the Sharp for 2 weeks so longevity is still in question but the TV runs practically all day and never skips a beat.

The particular TV I have has a starting serial number of 611 and according to the firmware version date in the service menu was built in October of 2006 so I think it is fresh off the truck and that sharp was already well aware of the banding by that time and took steps to correct the issue to curb the RMAs.

Wish that was true for me. I had a 610 and the banding was minimal I guess but noticed it alot when watching hockey when the camera pans from side to side. Just received my new replacement serial #611 and the banding is terrible. Far worse than the first set. Other than the banding the set is great. I am not taking a chance trying for a 3rd set. Don't even want to bother. It is a shame cause I did really want to like this set but the banding just ruined it for me.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselX View Post

Honestly, from my experience I would def go with the Panny. I had a Pioneer 5070 Plasma for 3 weeks and the thing looked amazing. The thing that bothered me was the risk of burn in. I didn't want to take the chance so I returned it and went the Aquos 52" LCD and had banding on the set. It wasn't too bad but did notice the bands during hockey the most so I exchanged it for another one. The new one just came today and the banding is horrible. The banding is 50% worse on the new set. I boxed the set up right away and am returning it tomorrow. In all likelyhood I am going back to the Pioneer 5070. I am just going to break the set in even more than the first time. If the Sharp didn't have the bands I would have probably kept the set. Other than the bands the set is pretty good. The only other beef with the Sharp is that the viewing angle isn't even close to Plasma's. The colours and blacks wash out by just moving a couple of feet from the center.

Whoa!!! 2 Banding-Sharps in a row..... well, after some more discussions with wife tonight, I think I'll give the Sharp a try 1st; since we do own many DVD movies that are non-16:9 so burn in will probably be of bigger concern to us. Plus I gathered from the number of "owner's threads" on this forum than both sets are very good purchases and worth every penny (given that it doesn't have problems), I'll just try my luck with Sharp, then, hopefully my 1st Sharp experience won't go too bad.

Barry thanks for the encouragements hehehe, and good luck to DieselX on your next Panny! Good luck to us, both hahaha....
post #8 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 11:06 PM

Your Welcome Rixin, I too hope you get a good one, my picture is awesome in HD and SD aint bad either on the stations that have good quality video.

And Diesel, sorry that you have has such a bad experience, I hope you find a good set. Keep us posted on your next one.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I give him a week or so to exchange for the Plasma.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #10 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM

I've watched plenty of 2.35:1 movies on my plasma with no burn in problems. a little retention on a full black screen right after I turn the movie off but I have to be standing a foot away from the screen to see it, but after about 30 minutes of normal viewing its gone. I agree with elemental
post #11 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 10:49 AM

It's a tough choice but I say go with the Sharp, if it has banding issues, make sure something isn't wrong with the source. If it is the tv, exchange it for another one or call Sharp's customer service. If that doesnt work out, just get the Panny. It's probably annoying to have to go through the entire customer service process like that but tv's this expensive should not be having problems! I'm also willing to tell you to go ahead with the potential hassle of the sharp because let's face it, 1080p is 1080p and 1080p is gorgeous. You should try to get a future proofed tv. It's frustrating for me as a plasma fan, to deal with such a limited amount of 1080p plasmas and if I could live with the response times of LCD's, Id get a sony or sharp LCD in a heartbeat. The sharp you're getting is high quality, I'd go for the sharp.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To the OP -- have you seen these two sets in person side by side displaying the same source material? You mentioned that you've been shopping around, but its not clear to me what that means exactly . . . does that mean you've seen the sets in person or read reviews and searched for prices on the web. If its the former, then good. If its the latter, then go see them in person. If movies are you thing, I'm pretty certain that you'll decide on the Panasonic.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 03:19 PM

Liked: 14
Go with the Panny, I tried a few sharps and the banding problems are horrendous.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If you're torn between LCD and Plasma, the single most important factor to consider is glare. (well, for me it is at any rate) I own a plasma primarily because I think it has a significantly better picture in general. However, my family room is a wall of windows and glare is a major problem during the day and at night if a light is on. This is not a problem with LCDs because they do not have glass fronts. If I was purchasing again, I would give strong consideration to LCD.

Jim
post #15 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 04:36 PM

I think there are good arguments for both sets. I personally own a 50" Panny, so I'm somewhat biased. I just wanted to tell you that the whole burn-in issue is a non-issue. Just be gentle for the first 100 hours and then have your way with it.
post #16 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 04:40 PM

I've started it up with the plasma for 3 weeks, great picture but reflection killed the black level. Color were great though. I was nervous though about the burn-in issues, when I would play games, I have see some image retention.

After comparing a long time Plasma VS LCD, I realize that the issues that the LCD were having was only concerning picture quality, and not product overall. Plasma have a risk (It's better now, but still a risk) to burn-in, and we're starting to see issue about plasma lasting only 4-5 years... Ok, people will say that's older plasma, phosphors are better now... But still, Plasma in those years was not suppose to last 60000 hours back then, but they were meant to last more than 5 years... So who knows what your tv will look like in 5 years.

On the LCD side, there's issue with banding and black level and off-angle viewing. BUT, still, there was no issue that will lead me to stress while watching TV, playing video game or wandering about the longevity of those sets.

So I've took back the plasma to get the D62U. And after 3 weeks, I've made the best choice. Here's a few points why

- 1080p vs 720p... I was sitting 9 feets away, and when displaying HD content from the xbox HD-DVD (in 1080i), there was a VERY visible gain of picture details in the sharp sets. Me, my wife and my friend saw this pretty easily.

- Black level. Hard to say... CNET said black level beat the Panny, but not sure here... but, I was not able to see a difference

- Color : WOW, having tried my Panny, I don't understand why so many people are telling the Panny has the best colors... Sorry, but I did calibrate both sets... While the Sharp was less a Wow factors, color were full, natural and full of details.

- Of angle , well, plasma wins here for sure. But off angle on my side only lower the black detail, but not enough to loose detail.

So, in conclusion, I really like my Sharp... I do have some banding if I look for it, but hey, everything else is great. I can now play games, watch TV or DVD with side bars without stressing, and bye bye glare!
post #17 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I have had both sets and the Panny destroys the Sharp. The panny has much better contrast and colours. The sharp in comparison looked washed out and the banding was horrible. When viewing the Panny it's like looking out a window. The image has a 3D effect that cannot be beat by any LCD (even the XBR2 fails in this regard)

Honestly for the life of me, I can't understand how someone would choose and LCD over a good plasma like a Panny, Pio, or even Samsung. The difference is night and day. I should go with LCD because over 50% of the TV's use is gaming but I have had no IR problems with the Panny and the colours in games jump of the screen, while the LCD looks muted.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 PM

Well I brought back my Sharp Aquos 52" today and decided to pull the trigger on the Pioneer 5070 which will be delivered early next week. I was there for hours looking all kinds of sets but the Pioneer kept pulling me in. As I said before I went from the Pioneer 5070 to the Sharp only due to the risk of burn in. I didn't have burn in on the Pioneer but it was just the feeling if it ever happened. I am just going to break it in even more. Both Sets were side by side at the store and after looking at them with the same feed for a while the Pioneer still had a better colour saturation and just overall better PQ. I am pretty excited about the Pioneer and I wish I never switched to the Sharp in the first place. Can't wait till Tuesday
post #19 of 25 Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I have had both sets and the Panny destroys the Sharp. The panny has much better contrast and colours. The sharp in comparison looked washed out and the banding was horrible. When viewing the Panny it's like looking out a window. The image has a 3D effect that cannot be beat by any LCD (even the XBR2 fails in this regard)

Honestly for the life of me, I can't understand how someone would choose and LCD over a good plasma like a Panny, Pio, or even Samsung. The difference is night and day. I should go with LCD because over 50% of the TV's use is gaming but I have had no IR problems with the Panny and the colours in games jump of the screen, while the LCD looks muted.

Funny. I have the Panny 50px60u and a Sony 40xbr1 lcd(both ISF calibrated) and the difference is definitely not "night and day". The panny is a better display, but the difference is mainly in how well the plasma handles dark scenes and motion. Color wise, the LCD hangs right in there with my plasma. If your colors looked muted, something was wrong with that TV or the that line of LCDs is junk. If anything, my biggest beef with a lot of LCDs is that the color can be too garish even in standard or custom mode. I prefer a more life like image and both my plasma and lcd do well in this area, with the nod going to the plasma, but again, not by a huge margin.

I dont know, maybe the ISF calibration is the reason Im not seeing the huge PQ differences plasma praisers seem to see, all I can say is Im very happy with both technologies in my home because they each have their strong points for the viewing I do.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-16-2006, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with what Xuivo said. Like I mentioned, movies(a lot of them have black bars) make up a majority of my TV viewing, and the thought of I may destroy the 3K investment while trying to enjoy a film worries me the most! So some words on just exactly how damaging is the burn-in issue woul'd be helpful. Would it be good forever after proper break-in? Or do I need to constantly switch to 16:9 just to "cure/exercise" it?

and conan48, while not doubting your experience with the Sharp; I must say I had a very different experience myself. While in store (Leons) looking at both sets, the Sharp looked a lot more vibrant than Panasonic, but I think it's more because of they had all the 1080p panels playing 1080p sources while Panny and the rest were displaying Discovery HD (and it had a smaller screen which adds onto the resolution factor; but nonetheless, the 1080p panels are truly a sight to behold! Forget what all the "professional-nay-sayers" told you and see for yourself!).

After trying some DVDs of my own, it wasn't very clear to me which had a more "true" color since I had nothing to compare with; on the resolution front - both were very good at upscaling 480p, but the 1080p advantage didn't come into play here. With the LCD(not just Sharp), however, you can definitely recognize some minor "ghosting" if you know where to look and look hard enough, this becomes very annoying once you know it's there. The store clerks told me plasmas can (and in most cases will) develop flickering-issues like that of old CRTs, which greatly reduces its value over time. I'll need confirmations on that one.

So for now I'll settle for the LCD, since the thought of spending 3K only to have burn-in down the road really bugs my conscience heh.
post #21 of 25 Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 AM

There are stickied threads that talk about how burn-in shouldn't be an issue anymore for modern plasma displays. Image retention for short periods, yes. I have an LCD that has problems with black levels, motion blurring, and uneven backlighting. I am looking at plasma as well (and wish that they had solved problems with glare and had full 1080p at a reasonable price). Pricing talk is discouraged in these forums, but I will say that through reputable forum sponsors, you can now get top-quality 50" 1366*768 Pannys for less than $2K shipped -- you don't have to pay $3K any more...

Best of luck,
post #22 of 25 Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
To each his own, but to ME the picture on the plasma is a night and day difference from any LCD I have seen. Also LCD does a horrible job with anything but a clean HD feed. Plasma on the other hand does a good job (as good as it can possibly be) with even the crapiest SD sources.

Also I have never seen an LCD that was able to replicate that "looking out a window" effect I get with my Panny. The images are more 3 demensional on a Plasma. While LCD are higher resolution and are a little sharper they look flat.
post #23 of 25 Old 12-16-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

To each his own, but to ME the picture on the plasma is a night and day difference from any LCD I have seen. Also LCD does a horrible job with anything but a clean HD feed. Plasma on the other hand does a good job (as good as it can possibly be) with even the crapiest SD sources.

Also I have never seen an LCD that was able to replicate that "looking out a window" effect I get with my Panny. The images are more 3 demensional on a Plasma. While LCD are higher resolution and are a little sharper they look flat.

OK... The only plasma that I saw (I pretty much saw all of popular ones) and gave me that 3D image impression was Pioneer Elite PRO-FDH1. It comes with expensive price tag, but the image on that thing was simply STUNNING.

Although, initial LCD PQ give more of that wow impression, after 5 or 10 mins of watching it, I start to feel that pic is less pleasing to eyes and images look somewhat artificial. However, I do feel that digitized pictures such as video games, PC image, digital animated movies (ie Pixar) look better on LCD than Plasma in general.

What i love about plasma is it has no motion blur effect. It does not miss a beat when displaying FAST moving screens. I found that big LCD screens cannot digest fast moving scenes very well.

You can go on and on and argue about pros and cons of two technology, but in the end, I will PROBABLY end up with plasma providing that it does the followings at a reasonable price $4000 - $5000CAD:

1. 50" in size.
2. 1080P/60/24 native resolution
post #24 of 25 Old 12-16-2006, 10:29 PM

Just go with the Panny 9UK and discussion is done. 1080p is here at a reasonable cost. Not much of stretch. What's another grand to kill off your questioning. It's really gorgeous and at half the cost of the Pio with 100% of the pic quality. Pio is better at some things and the Panny is better at others, both rock. Price advantage huge with the Panny, click the VA banner up top on this page and be amazed. Make the stretch and you won't be unhappy.

Man forget about burn in and plasma life spans. I have a 6 year old Fujitsu and the picture still knocks me out when we get a really nice HD feed. 15k when I got it. Still looks great today. Way over 30k hours and still very bright. That's Panasonic glass that's ancient. So I would very little fear with the improvements made since then. Also have a 61" Marantz that's 3 years newer, no problem there or with a 5 year old 503 Pio in my exercise room. Both of these have much greater phosphor lag than the Fujitsu, but have used all three of them with HTPC's and gaming. None of them have burn. My 4 year old daughter and wife have both left the Tivo paused numerous times and still nothing. I watch ESPN news for hours also and the ticker never has caused issues either. So from an old plasma dog, just don't be stupid, and burn in just ain't no big deal. Here's to PS3 and my new 65/600!
post #25 of 25 Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothbeave View Post

Just go with the Panny 9UK and discussion is done. 1080p is here at a reasonable cost. Not much of stretch. What's another grand to kill off your questioning. It's really gorgeous and at half the cost of the Pio with 100% of the pic quality. Pio is better at some things and the Panny is better at others, both rock. Price advantage huge with the Panny, click the VA banner up top on this page and be amazed. Make the stretch and you won't be unhappy.

Man forget about burn in and plasma life spans. I have a 6 year old Fujitsu and the picture still knocks me out when we get a really nice HD feed. 15k when I got it. Still looks great today. Way over 30k hours and still very bright. That's Panasonic glass that's ancient. So I would very little fear with the improvements made since then. Also have a 61" Marantz that's 3 years newer, no problem there or with a 5 year old 503 Pio in my exercise room. Both of these have much greater phosphor lag than the Fujitsu, but have used all three of them with HTPC's and gaming. None of them have burn. My 4 year old daughter and wife have both left the Tivo paused numerous times and still nothing. I watch ESPN news for hours also and the ticker never has caused issues either. So from an old plasma dog, just don't be stupid, and burn in just ain't no big deal. Here's to PS3 and my new 65/600!

Dear twothbeave,
thanks for that. Your experiences, or lack of, with burn in is nice to know. I'm leaning towards a plasma now after purchasing an lcd (toshi 47LX196). For me the benefits of 9th generation on the TH50PX60 panny is definitely a good thing, vs all the LCD monkey business I'm reading about. Since I'd be using it for gaming only likely less than 1% and for hockey for atleast 20% the benefits of speed gain out weigh any gaming losses. The colour depth and blackness (particularly the 'panablack that panasonics were known for - I've got a 1996 19" panny crt that is still sharp and black to this day) is definitely a plus.

TB
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page