VIZIO LCD owners with Panoramic mode available? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the new 20" VX20L. Do you Vizio owners (any size) when viewing in Panoramic mode notice that the center is fine but, both side edges have a "magnifying effect"? Just try watching CNBC with the tickers on the bottom. This happens with component DVD viewing as well.

My family watches 99% SD channels through cable input (Kitchen TV).

I like this product but, watching SD in Wide mode, only stretches to fill the entire screen albeit with fat faces. Panoramic looks great if not for this magnifying effect; no one can watch it for any extended period of time.

Called Vizio tech support and they are looking into this. If this is happening with everyone's Vizio AND they are not planning a firmware fix (service port) than I might have to return it to Costco.

I have searched the VIZIO threads (all sizes) and only a few people have posted this annoyance. Just want to make sure that it is across all sizes that have Panoramic mode available.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 AM

I have a GV47 LCD and it has the same effect in panoramic mode...not sure why it does this, but thought it was normal. I could be wrong though, as I know nothing about panoramic mode. hopefully someone else will chime in to discuss exactly what is occuring and whether this is normal for panoramic mode.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, then it happens in the 47" too.

Just tried connecting my Time Warner cable box through HDMI, Component and S-Video. HDMI does not have Panoramic mode as an option. Both Component and S-video suffer the same unacceptable picture.

Don't know how or why VIZIO designers allowed this to happen! Surely they must have realized that to many viewers, it will just not be tolerated.

I like to get what I paid for. Looks like I will have to try the Toshiba Kitchen Series 20HLK86 or the Sharp LC-20SH20U . Must match my all Stainless Steel kitchen...that I will not compromise on!
post #4 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have this model too and will check tonight.

Please keep us posted as to what Vizio says.

Can you guys also check when your volume is off do you hear a buzzing type or humming sound coming from the speaker?
post #5 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I will. But, to connect to a VIZIO tech support person takes soooooo long. This time however, I will speak to a manager.

Now if this was OPPO support well owners know how they are.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Do you hear humming from your speakers when the sound is turned off?
post #7 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

If you mean Menu>Audio>Speaker = Off then no I do not.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

I have not tried it that way since I use the built in speakers to listen to the programs but if I want to talk on the phone and turn the volume all the way down there is a humming sound coming from the speakers
post #9 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I use the built-in speakers too. When I turn the volume to 0, I do not hear anything.

Man, VIZIO tech support is horrible. I can never get through. I have to go to Sales to get to tech support. But, as usual, the manager was not available. I left my number. Let's see if he calls me back.

I will never purchase a VIZIO product from any other retailer expect Costco. Not worth the downside!

If you purchased from Costco then return it. If you purchased from somewhere else and the return period has ended and you must deal with VIZIO, you have my sympathy.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberteyewhy View Post

I just purchased the new 20" VX20L. Do you Vizio owners (any size) when viewing in Panoramic mode notice that the center is fine but, both side edges have a "magnifying effect"? Just try watching CNBC with the tickers on the bottom. This happens with component DVD viewing as well.

That's what panoramic mode does. It gives the illusion of 16:9 for 4:3 content by stretching the edges while leaving the center in-tact.

Personally, I hate it. I watch 4:3 content as 4:3.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I watch 4:3 content as 4:3.

As do I. But, I have a 32" in my bedroom.

I upgraded from their 13" LCD. I might have just kept it as in 4:3 mode on the 20", it is the just about the same viewing area. Plus, the people who watch this TV like the content to fill the entire screen.

Quote:
That's what panoramic mode does. It gives the illusion of 16:9 for 4:3 content by stretching the edges while leaving the center in-tact.

I find it hard to believe that ALL manufacturers who have a compatible though different naming convention would have the same effect as the Panoramic mode does on the VIZIO's.

Quote:
Personally, I hate it.

Seems that is the general consensus. Why have it on the specs if it just does not work as it should? I always check the manual online (if available) first to see what a product is capable of before I purchase.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamski View Post

Personally, I hate it. I watch 4:3 content as 4:3.

Exactly.....Its that way on every TV that has Panoramic mode. Its annoying and frankly, useless - whomever came up with the idea needs to get a "Rotten Tomato" award or something.....Try watching a NASCAR race on it....WOW - headache city...!!!!

4:3 as 4:3 - no reason not too on a LCD.... Stretched or Partial Zoom if black bars bother you - but the degraded signal (zoom) and fatness of characters (stretch) arent worth it with a TV that no reasonable chance of Burn-In.....
post #13 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Exactly.....Its that way on every TV that has Panoramic mode. Its annoying and frankly, useless - whomever came up with the idea needs to get a "Rotten Tomato" award or something.....Try watching a NASCAR race on it....WOW - headache city...!!!!

CORRECT on all counts! I can just imagine what NASCAR would look like in this mode.

If you are correct D_Olds then even the Toshiba 20HLK86 in 480i/p per their specs:

You can view 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i format programs in
a variety of picture sizes-Natural, TheaterWide1,
TheaterWide2, TheaterWide3, and Full.

...would have the same effect as the Panoramic mode on the VIZIO.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 02:35 PM

I have had the older L32 and the Panoramic mode was fine, doing what it is intended. I gave my girlfriend the new 32 and the panoramic mode is terrible.

I own the new L37 and it's somewhere between the 2
post #15 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have had the older L32 and the Panoramic mode was fine, doing what it is intended. I gave my girlfriend the new 32 and the panoramic mode is terrible.

Then there is hope. Incredible how a newer model is worst than an older one in this feature.

Just got back from Costco and played for a hour with their Toshiba 20" w/DVD player. Put it in the middle of the VIZIO and a Sharp 20" ED. Luckily, the TV's were being feed 4:3 content. The VIZIO model was still in Panoramic mode just as I left it when I went in last week to see if it was just my TV with the problem.

All the Toshiba modes TheaterWide 1,2 and 3 does not display without fat faces. Very easy to differentiate just by looking at the Sharp. But, no "magnifying effect" in any mode.

When I was done, I walked by a Sharp 23" and absolutely perfect picture. Looks like I am going to Best Buy to see the Sharp 20" LC-20SH20U.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input.

Robert

P.S. The irony is that I never watch this TV unless-when I am making dinner-golf is being shown. All the people that watch this TV daily have absolutely no problem with the Wide mode.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM

I see this is an old thread but thoguht I'd post what I found recently. Perhaps it'll help someone.

I've had a Vizio 32" for a year or so and couldn't find a use for the panoramic view. Until...

I used it to watch VHS tapes. Looks GREAT! Undistorted 16:9 image; no black lines, no chopping. I don't understand it; but except for the geek in me, I don't care :-)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page