Official Philips 47" 1080p LCD 47PF9441D Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1801 Old 01-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called costco and the rep that I spoke to on the phone gave me a price on the Philips 47" LCD 1080p to be (PM me) Minus the $300- coupon, but plus shipping of approx $165 (I added a 50" TV to my shopping cart just to see what the shipping would be) still looks like a pretty good deal over the Vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1801 Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Noob View Post

still looks like a pretty good deal over the Vizio.

all depends on how it looks vs the vizio, if its about the same then the vizio wins out
post #93 of 1801 Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 PM

The following is from an interview with Mark Cuban on Jan.16,2007 commenting on the Consumer Electronics Show.

Quote:

What was the best product you saw?

I loved a Vizio 50" LCD that had a USB port that allows users to attach a hard drive and play back music, pictures and most importantly video. I think people are starting to put their digital lives on hard drives and there is no reason to have an intermediary device. The TV can be the primary playback device.

So Vizio will be introducing a 50" lcd with additional features soon. So I guess there will be another wave of returns from all those who rushed out to buy the 47" Vizio.

I don't know if the Philips will be any good, but at least it has the usb port that Mark Cuban referred to.
post #94 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 08:53 AM

He may be wrong about what brand he saw or I missed them. They were not listed as a exhibitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtconv View Post

The following is from an interview with Mark Cuban on Jan.16,2007 commenting on the Consumer Electronics Show.

So Vizio will be introducing a 50" lcd with additional features soon. So I guess there will be another wave of returns from all those who rushed out to buy the 47" Vizio.

I don't know if the Philips will be any good, but at least it has the usb port that Mark Cuban referred to.

Mark
post #95 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmart View Post

I tried calling and got an "all circuits are busy" recording. I have to run but maybe someone else can get through today:

Telephone Philips: 1-888-PHILIPS (1-888-744-5477)

Hours of Operation: Monday - Saturday 7:00 am EST - 11:00 pm EST, Sunday 8:00 am EST - 11:00 pm EST, 365 days a year, excluding holidays.

Is this the only phone number they have. It seems the people who answer the phone don't have a clue. Maybe they have email tech support that would be more knowledgable.
post #96 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Does it seem weird to anyone that there seems to be so little facts and so much confusion over a product that is available to buy and ship in less than 2 weeks.

I am going to be buying this, my first HDTV, but I have to believe this will probably have been the most exhausting research with no bona fide results of any product I have purchased. Obviously, the only confidence we will have is Costco's support. A big factor but still...

...crazy!
post #97 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko711 View Post

He may be wrong about what brand he saw or I missed them. They were not listed as a exhibitor.

Vizio had to be at the CES because cnet.com featured their 60 plasma in their coverage of the show. In fact it was a finalist in their best new tv of the show.
post #98 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycozer View Post

Does it seem weird to anyone that there seems to be so little facts and so much confusion over a product that is available to buy and ship in less than 2 weeks.

I am going to be buying this, my first HDTV, but I have to believe this will probably have been the most exhausting research with no bona fide results of any product I have purchased. Obviously, the only confidence we will have is Costco's support. A big factor but still...

...crazy!

I agree 100%. I too will likely buy it, blindly, like you. No way I would consider doing that if not for Costco. I would still like someone in Washington or Arizona who can see this set in person at the Home Stores of Costco, to give us a first hand report. I will probably wait until the last day of the sale before I order it.
post #99 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree 100%. I too will likely buy it, blindly, like you. No way I would consider doing that if not for Costco. I would still like someone in Washington or Arizona who can see this set in person at the Home Stores of Costco, to give us a first hand report. I will probably wait until the last day of the sale before I order it.

If interested you can hedge your bet and get a rain check on the Vizio which is good for 30 days (must get it during the coupon period at the cash register; they'll scan your coupon and membership card.). I plan to order the Philips after getting all the info I can and use the Vizio rain check as a back-up plan. And of course I can return the Philips if there's a problem to any Costco for a full refund including S&H.
post #100 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM

https://myces2007.bdmetrics.com/Port....aspx?blet=V,W

Quote:

Vizio had to be at the CES because cnet.com featured their 60 plasma in their coverage of the show. In fact it was a finalist in their best new tv of the show.

Mark
post #101 of 1801 Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmart View Post

If interested you can hedge your bet and get a rain check on the Vizio which is good for 30 days (must get it during the coupon period at the cash register; they'll scan your coupon and membership card.). I plan to order the Philips after getting all the info I can and use the Vizio rain check as a back-up plan. And of course I can return the Philips if there's a problem to any Costco for a full refund including S&H.

Of course you're assuming that they are sold out. There was no rush for these here in Miami. The local Costco had plenty, and I did not see any purchased or even anyone looking at it while I was there. Besides, I really don't want it for variety of reasons spelled out in the Vizio forum. If the Philips isn't good I will wait for the new arrivals over the next couple of months.
post #102 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 AM

I found the following article on what I beleive is this tv. Unless Costco is getting a cheaper version made just for them, it sounds pretty darn good:

Quote:

Philips introduced at the Electronic House Expo (EHX) a 47 LCD 1080p television, along with a 63 Plasma model. As the demand for flat-panel TVs continues to escalate to new heights, Philips' new 47PF9441D and 63PF9631D FlatTV sets offer consumers expanded sizes for larger than life entertainment.

The future of television is flat, with DisplaySearch estimating that approximately 79 percent of overall TV sales in volume will be flat in 2008. That figure climbs to almost 92 percent in 2010. Additionally, DisplaySearch indicated that Philips is the leader in LCD TV sales worldwide.

We recognize that consumers want to super-size their entertainment experience, said Scott Levitan, senior vice president of marketing and sales, Philips Consumer Electronics, North America. Our new TVs are feature-laden to provide razor sharp pictures that seduce and enrapture viewers. The 47 LCD offers the highest picture resolution available.

According to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), consumers will spend $21 billion - $4 billion more than in 2005 - on electronics gifts this holiday season. Many of these gifts will be flat-panel TVs. Hitting shelves just in time for the holidays and aggressively priced, Philips' 47PF9441D and 63PF9631D are ideal gifts the whole family can enjoy year-round.

Rich colors and features: 47PF9441D and 63PF9631D
Taking picture quality to the next level, the 47PF9441D and the 63PF9631D models feature Philips' Pixel Plus 3HD. Pixel Plus 3HD enhances content from already pristine sources such as HD signals and DVDs and the pixels of an incoming picture are altered to match surrounding pixels. The result is an image both brilliant and natural. Skin tones are natural, colors pop and details become amazingly lifelike. Pixel Plus 3HD ensures that the picture quality will be stunning.

Combining the superior resolution of the 1080p format with the smooth stable image of progressive scan technology, Philips' 47PF9441D not only offers the premiere resolution, but also features Virtual Dolby Digital. Users will applaud the crisp pictures and sounds that envelop them - making them participants in the action rather than just viewers. The 47PF9441D offers a compelling design to match its powerful performance with a stylish, piano-black finish.

Philips 63 Plasma delivers stunning High-Definition (HD) programming and enables users to embrace the digital lifestyle. With the built-in USB connector, multimedia content comes to life as images splash across the screen. Vacation memories are larger than life and visible for the whole family to enjoy from the comfort of the couch. MP3 tracks emerge from the TV's sleek, integrated silver speakers and engulf consumers in sound. Both sets feature USB and HDMI connections for pristine picture quality.

Set-up made simple
Philips recognizes that consumers want to immediately use their new FlatTV set and not hassle with a complicated set-up. Philips' new Settings Assistant software is a simple, easy to follow guide that activates when the set is first turned on. Users are guided through six preferences, including contrast, sharpness and color saturation, where they optimize the picture settings to their personal preference. Now customizing the picture is as simple as selecting which option A or B the consumer prefers. Both the 47PF9441D and the 63PF9631D feature this new application, letting consumers enjoy their FlatTV set without a complex set-up.

The 63PF9631D is currently available with a suggested retail price of $5,999 and the 47PF9441D will be available in December with a suggested retail price of $2,999.

If you notice it says that the set has a piano black finish. It sure doesn't look like it in the picture. This is what leads me to beleive that maybe Costco is getting a cheaper version. If you notice, Costco has not put the model # in it's description as it usualy does. Instead it just has the item number.
BTW, this tv is 20 lbs. heavier than the Vizio. It weighs 109 lbs.
post #103 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:

I found the following article on what I beleive is this tv. Unless Costco is getting a cheaper version made just for them, it sounds pretty darn good:

If you notice it says that the set has a piano black finish. It sure doesn't look like it in the picture. This is what leads me to beleive that maybe Costco is getting a cheaper version. If you notice, Costco has not put the model # in it's description as it usualy does. Instead it just has the item number.
BTW, this tv is 20 lbs. heavier than the Vizio. It weighs 109 lbs.

First where did you find that? Second I was quoted a $1000 less then the price listed you listed. I wouldnt say the pic does it justice on the black finish, so hard to tell from a pic and with that I would bet that there is only one version of this tv. I think the price Im thinking about ($1000 less) sounds right in line with the vizio price, just a tad more. I got the vizio and Im taking it back, the black level is just to bad to make it watch able. Ill prob order this philips Im just concerned about the black levels on it. Watching the vizio 47 is like watching black shadows, I just hope this philips lcd doesnt. Please provide a link to that article.
post #104 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 06:06 AM

Liked: 12
Just do a search for the the model number in google. You'll find plenty of hits on it. The price listed above is the price i've also seen listed as it's MSRP.
post #105 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 AM

Update to my earlier post. Due to conflicting reports on prices, I called up costco twice this morning and spoke to 2 different reps. I was given the same price both times, which after coupon would make it $350- over the Vizio 47 (w/ coupon). Fcator in shipping (approx $165) and we're looking at $515- over the vizio.
post #106 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Update to my earlier post. Due to conflicting reports on prices, I called up costco twice this morning and spoke to 2 different reps. I was given the same price both times, which after coupon would make it $350- over the Vizio 47 (w/ coupon). Fcator in shipping (approx $165) and we're looking at $515- over the vizio.

Relax, their system shows the regular price up until the actual day the coupon goes into effect. The Costco price quoted right now by the uninformed at Costco does not reflect the coupon. On January 29 it will be adjusted down. IMO.
post #107 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary555 View Post

Relax, their system shows the regular price up until the actual day the coupon goes into effect. The Costco price quoted right now by the uninformed at Costco does not reflect the coupon. On January 29 it will be adjusted down. IMO.

When I asked one of the for the list price of item # 153926 he asked me if I wanted the price w/ or w/o coupon, so apparently he was "informed".
post #108 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:

That matches with what I got. I'm also thinking between the Vizio and the Philips based on this $515 difference.

Since there's no PQ comparison right now, the things that I prefer Philips are:
1) The firmware can be upgraded by end user via the USB port.
2) There's a side connection. Very sweet for my digital camcorder and my wireless headphone.
3) There's a digital audio input, which is useful for me.
4) There's a S-video on AV1, which is also useful for me as well.
5) I can program my Direct TV remote with the Philips, but not the Vizio.

Are those five worth $515? Probably. And if the PQ is a little bit better than the Vizio (without overscan of coz), that would make it a deal.
post #109 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakva View Post

If you look at the product spec for the Phillips, you can see the back panel and there is no VGA connector. It also does not state it will accept a 1080p input. Picture of the back of the Phillips 47"

But the label on that backpanel states that VGA is available through RGBHV.

All you need is a cable that goes from 15pin VGA to 5 RCA R,G,B,H,V plugs.

-Kyle
post #110 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdonald View Post

-Kyle

Why would they do that? Is there some advantage or disadvantage of doing it that way?
post #111 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 PM

I like Phillips generally.

And while this set the newest LCD, it doesn't seem in line with their top-end features in the past.

Don't they usually put Ambilight in the top of the line sets?

The only downside I see on this is no CableCARD slot.... but I may rely on the TivoS3 for that so... Also I wish it had a 3rd HDMI... I'd even give up a Component to get it.

Anyone know if it's Dual tuner? or if it has PIP?

-Kyle
post #112 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdonald View Post

-Kyle

Yep, that is what I said in post #43. Just one more cable to buy, and it uses up one of your component inputs. If that isn't an issue, then there isn't a problem. I was just pointing out that it doesn't have the standard 15 pin VGA port that many do. I gave up on this model, as I am pretty much convinced that it doesn't accept a 1080p video input, regardless of what might be implied. I guess we will know for sure once the model is available and someone tries it. I ended up going with the V47 Vizio. It too has issues, and the Phillips may turn out to be a better panel for the $. I am not using it as a primary display, I use my FP for that.

The manual also states that VGA only goes up to 1024 x 768.
post #113 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Why would they do that? Is there some advantage or disadvantage of doing it that way?

It's compatible with more things I think. There are otherthings besides VGA (don't ask me what.) that use an RBGHV signal.

Other than that, it's just cost... One less connector.

-Kyle
post #114 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 05:39 PM

I went to Costco tonight and asked a manager to look up the Philips in his computer. He said today's price is @@@ (1 cent less than 2g). I said what do you mean "today's price". He said that on the day the coupon begins the price will change to reflect the discount.
He also said they would definitely not have any at the warehouse, and there was no way he could tell at this point whether or not there is a shipping charge or how much it would be.

As far as ambilight goes, this was originally designed for plasmas. It was a way of allowing ambient light in a room without having distracting glare reflecting off the screen. For some unknown reason they have now tried it on lcd, but I don't think it is catching on. Really serves no purpose and I find it rather distracting.
post #115 of 1801 Old 01-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Engadget is reporting that the price of the 47PF9441D is $2,999 MSRP (not street price). Obviously Costco could price it for less
post #116 of 1801 Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM

I picked up the 47" Vizio two weeks ago at Costco (redeemed my coupon a couple of days ago). Had to do some major tweaking to get colors and black levels to optimum output. The Vizio has a native contrast ratio of 800:1 (1600:1 dynamic)*. The set performs quite well in standard lighted scenes.[/color]
*(The Sharp Aquos, at present, has the best native LCD contrast ratio of 2000:1 (10,000:1 dynamic) with refresh response time of 4ms) The design of the Vizio is simply stunning; very attractive (one of the best cosmetic facade designs I've seen)! Some very serious work went into this unit. Its frame and touch sensitive strip is very, very impressive (similar in the way Apple designs its equipment.) Posh, to say the least!!!

Where the Vizio really disappoints me is night, shadows and interior shots/scenes... there is little to no detail as the set with a limited contrast ratio of 800:1 (dynamic 1600:1) is simply incapable of producing.

The Phillips' has a dynamic contrast ratio of 4000:1 with no reference to native.

Both sets have refresh response times of 8ms anything below 16ms should be acceptable for sports/action.
A very important note!!!: Use only HDMI connectors for HD programming/source feeds. Avoid YPbPr connectors as they cause bottle-necking in through-put with an end result in unwanted artifacts.
A serious note to consider!!!: Vizio's website claims 280w average while the user manual states 400w. Philips claims 323w. These are relatively high numbers and are similar to plasma consumptions as compared to Sharp's Aquos 46 LCD, 270w.

The spread between manufacturer's suggested retail between both 47" LCD units is 1k.

Philips Features/Specs (via Philips Website):

Picture/Display
Aspect ratio : 16:9
Brightness : 500 cd/m²
Dynamic screen contrast : 4000:1
Response time (typical) : 8 ms
Viewing angle : 176º (H) / 176º (V)
Diagonal screen size (inch) : 47 inch
Display screen type : LCD Full HD W-UXGA Act. matrix
Panel resolution : 1920x1080p
Picture enhancement : Pixel Plus 3 HD, 3/2 - 2/2 motion pull down, 3D Combfilter, Active Control, Color Transient Improvement, Digital Crystal Clear, Digital Natural Motion, Digital Noise Reduction, Jagged Line Suppression, LTI, Progressive Scan, Widescreen Plus
Screen enhancement : Anti-Reflection coated screen

Supported Display Resolution
Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60Hz, 800 x 600, 60Hz, 1024 x 768, 60Hz
Video formats : 480i, 60Hz, 480p, 60Hz, 720p, 60Hz, 1080i, 60Hz

Sound
Output power (RMS) : 2x8W
Sound Enhancement : Digital Signal Processing, Dynamic Bass Enhancement, Graphic Equalizer
Sound System : Virtual Dolby Digital

Loudspeakers
Built-in speakers : 6
Loudspeaker types : Front Speakers, Integrated woofers with wOOx, Dome tweeter

Convenience
Child Protection : Child Lock+Parental Control
Clock : Smart Clock
Ease of Installation : Auto Programme Naming, Automatic Tuning System (ATS), Autostore, PLL Digital Tuning, Plug & Play
Ease of Use : Auto Volume Leveller (AVL), Channel list, Delta Volume per preset, Graphical User Interface, On Screen Display, Side Control, Smart Picture Control, Smart Sound Control
Remote Control : Amp, DVD, STB, VCR
Remote control type : RC4405
Screen Format Adjustments : 4:3, 6 Widescreen Modes, Auto Format, Movie expand 14:9, Movie expand 16:9, Subtitle and Heading Shift, Subtitle Zoom, Super Zoom, Widescreen
Teletext : Closed Captioning Full Text
VESA Mount : Wallmounting possible: 700x200, M8

Multimedia Applications
Multimedia connections : USB (streaming video capable)
Playback Formats : MP3, Slideshow files (.alb), JPEG Still pictures, MPEG2

Tuner/Reception/Transmission
Aerial Input : 75 ohm F-type
TV system : ATSC, NTSC
Video Playback : NTSC
Cable : Unscrambled Digital Cable -QAM

Connectivity
AV 1 : (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging), Audio L/R in, Component Video in, CVBS in, RGB+H/V, S-Video, YPbPr
AV 2 : Audio L/R in, CVBS, S-Video
AV 3 : (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging), S/PDIF digital coaxial, YPbPr
AV 4 : HDMI
AV 5 : HDMI
Front / Side connections : Audio L/R in, CVBS in, Headphone out, S-video in, USB
Other connections : S/PDIF in (coaxial), S/PDIF out (coaxial)

Power
Ambient temperature : 5 °C to 40 °C
Mains power : AC 110 -240 V +/- 10%
Power consumption : 323 W
Standby power consumption : 0.54

Dimensions
Set Width : 1210 mm
Set Height : 824 mm
Set Depth : 146 mm
Set height (with stand) : 880 mm
Set depth (with stand) : 394 mm
Product weight : 49.4 kg
Color cabinet : Black

Accessories
Included Accessories : Table top stand, RF cable

Vizio Features/Specs (via Vizio Website):

Specification
Size: 47-in*
*Viewable: 46.96-in
Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner

Supported TV Formats
1080p, 1080i, 720p, 720i, 480p, 480i

Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Supported PC Resolutions
1366 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1024 x 768, 854 x 480, 800 x 600

Specification
Panel Type: 47" Diagonal*, 16:9 Wide Screen, Color TFT Active Matrix LCD
Panel Specifications: Anti-Static and hard coated surface
Pixel/Dot Pitch: 0.5415mm (H) x 0.5415mm (V)
Display Compatibility: FULL HDTV (1080P)
Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV), 1080P (FULL HDTV)
Response Time: 8 ms (typical)
Colors: 8 bit 16.77 Million colors
Brightness: 500 cd/m2 (typical)
Contrast Ratio: 800:1 (Typical), 1600:1 (with DCR)
Viewable Angle: >178 degrees (horizontal and vertical)

Inputs
RF (F Connector for internal tuner): 1
HDMI whith HDCP: 2
Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1
Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 2
Composite Video: 2
S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1
Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1
Service Port: 1

Outputs
Analog Audio out (RCA): 1
5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: 1
Headphone (Stereo Mini-Jack): 0

Additional Information
Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Picture-outside-Picture (POP)
Closed Caption (CC)
V-Chip
3D Comb Filter
Zoom
Freeze
3:2 or 2:2 Reverse Pull-down
ATSC with 8VSB & QAM demodulation
ATSC with MPEG-2 decoding
NTSC Video decoding via RF: Yes, thru Antenna, Cable, or Satellite
NTSC Video decoding via Video: Yes, thru CVBS, S-Video, or Component
Progressive Scan Video: Yes, thru Component YPbPr, VGA or HDMI
HDTV: Yes, thru HDMI or Component YPbPr
Computer: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1360 x 768 thru VGA or 640x480 thru HDMI
Sound enhancement: Yes, SRS TrueSrround XT
Color Temperature: 6500K (standard), 5400K and 9300K
Color Fine Tuning: Independent Red, Green and Blue
Audio: Built-in 10W x 2 plus 20W x 1 Subwoofer
Lamp (LCD) / Panel (PDP) Life: 50000 hours
Power: IEC Connector for direct power line connection
Voltage Range100 ~ 240 Vac at 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption: 280W average (Manual States 400w)
Removable Base
Removable Speakers

Weight
Gross:104 lbs
Net: 88.7 lbs
Without Stand: 77.7 lbs
Without Speakers: 70.6 lbs

Dimensions
Carton:
Net: 44.5" W x 31.4" H x 10.6" D
Without Stand: 44.5" W x 29.8" H x 4.5" D
Without Stand and Speakers: 44.5" W x 26.9" H x 4.5" D
Certifications: (None Stated)
post #117 of 1801 Old 01-20-2007, 07:53 PM

I think that 4000:1 is the seller for me, the vizio is black levels is the worst Iv seen.
post #118 of 1801 Old 01-20-2007, 10:21 PM

I completely read the owners manual and the following stood out:

Pro:
usb firmware upgrade can be done in several ways. You can even download the firmware to a flash drive, plug it into the tv and just turn the tv on. The tv will search the flash drive, find the firmware and perform the upgrade by itself.
Any audio or video file can be viewed or played through usb port, with menu support.
Easy picture preference set-up.

Cons:
No PIP (despite having a PIP buton on the remote).
It clearly says that the tv is designed to accept 480p, 720p and 1080i. No mention of 1080p!
(This has me confused. Why have a 1920 x 1080 screen and advertise the set as 1080p if it does not accept 1080p. The brochure states the tv shows the highest resolution available today. Huh! Somebody help with this one!).

This tv seems to be very good except for the cons listed above. And based upon the comments of others who have tried contacting Philips it doesn't look like we are going to get an answer to this question.
post #119 of 1801 Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM

The highest TV show resolution available today is 1080i. There is no 1080p HDTV shows unless it is upconverted or de-interlaced from some other source.

The folks who want 1080p input are using it to run xbox360 (vga), PS3, a PC, or high-def players.

Quote:

I completely read the owners manual and the following stood out:

Pro:
usb firmware upgrade can be done in several ways. You can even download the firmware to a flash drive, plug it into the tv and just turn the tv on. The tv will search the flash drive, find the firmware and perform the upgrade by itself.
Any audio or video file can be viewed or played through usb port, with menu support.
Easy picture preference set-up.

Cons:
No PIP (despite having a PIP buton on the remote).
It clearly says that the tv is designed to accept 480p, 720p and 1080i. No mention of 1080p!
(This has me confused. Why have a 1920 x 1080 screen and advertise the set as 1080p if it does not accept 1080p. The brochure states the tv shows the highest resolution available today. Huh! Somebody help with this one!).

This tv seems to be very good except for the cons listed above. And based upon the comments of others who have tried contacting Philips it doesn't look like we are going to get an answer to this question.

post #120 of 1801 Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 PM

So what happens to a 1080p dvd signal being sent thru hdmi? And, how would a 720p or 1080i signal handled? Is it upscaled to 1080p?

BTW, I was at the Magnolia store at BB tonight and they had a Philips 42" 720p lcd playing Cars thru an Onkyo upscaling dvd player. It was probably the best nonBlu-ray picture I have ever seen on a tv.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page