post #4471 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post

Oh, for... could we please please *please* drop the name-calling?? Seriously. Please???? It's to the point now where I almost want to leave the thread.

-David

LEAVE I am sick of the same thing beat to death I am done with this post, here you can read the next 50 I hate glossy post from people who can not even afford the set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gris View Post

OK, - but I want semi-glos!

Get the glossy and don't dust it
post #4473 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteraudio View Post

LEAVE I am sick of the same thing beat to death I am done with this post, here you can read the next 50 I hate glossy post from people who can not even afford the set.

Actually, sir, my comment was not directly specifically at you (though your post did fall under the rubric). There has been a LOT of acrimony between quite a few people who do not even personally know each other on this thread over the last few days, and for the life of me I cannot see where or why it is needed.

I fully realize that it is frustrating to be subjected to people hijacking the thread and carping about some one single issue regarding which no new information is even possible anymore. I happen to share your frustration in that regard, especially because it has reached a point where so many of the posts right now just aren't even helpful anymore. Nolo cotendre.

However, I find personal acrimony and insults to be an even bigger turn-off. I mean, if I wanted to read the sort of stuff that's on Slashdot, I'd go to Slashdot. Is it not possible for us to endure what I freely admit is a substantial amount of frustration, appeal to the authority of our kind moderators where necessary, and still maintain a measure of civility? In my personal opinion most of the *frequent* posters here are trying hard to be genuinely helpful both in their questions and in their answers. It is to that spirit of cooperation that I am trying to appeal.

Sincerely,

David
post #4474 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post

Ok, I found it. Odd that they'd bury it so deep, and that you have to be in movie mode to use it...

Anyway, even when enabling it it's not part of the feature demo. I don't yet have a good idea what effect it has.

Hi Brackhar,

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. I mean, it really is hidden *way* in there. Why do that??? Also, I still don't quite understand why it cannot be used in standard mode. Knowledgeable members, are there, perchance, some technological or logistical limitations that prevented Samsung from enabling the motion smoothing in Standard mode? Also, I note that the 120Hz 71s allow for varying *degrees* of motion smoothing (and apparently it works best on LOW or MEDIUM). Is anything like this possible on the 81s, or is it just a straight ON/OFF feature, given that the effect is achieved by strobing instead of by increasing the physical refresh rate? Does anyone know?

Yours,

David
post #4475 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Oh, vtms--I did not specifically compare the 81 with a Kuro simply because I knew for a fact I was not going to get a plasma (this is a computer monitor for me).

After reading your opinions on this set I'm starting to lose interest in that comparison anyway. I really like what you said about motion performance. That was the only unknown factor for me. I see blur even on plasmas and anything less than a smooth motion would be an instant deal-breaker for me. Also, just like you, I would be using 40" as a monitor/TV.

Thanks also for clarifications about LED options being switched to "Off" as default and about loss of brightness with Motion Plus on. These are non-issues.

One last thing. Were you able to see a digital SD feed on this thing? If so, how was the PQ compared to SD on a CRT? Thanks.
post #4476 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Brackhar, any updates on how your evaluation is going?
post #4477 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtms View Post

After reading your opinions on this set I'm starting to lose interest in that comparison anyway. I really like what you said about motion performance. That was the only unknown factor for me. I see blur even on plasmas and anything less than a smooth motion would be an instant deal-breaker for me. Also, just like you, I would be using 40" as a monitor.

Thanks also for clarifications about LED options being switched to "Off" as default and about loss of brightness with Motion Plus on. These are non-issues.

One last thing. Were you able to see a digital SD feed on this thing? If so, how was the PQ compared to SD on a CRT? Thanks.

Hi vtms,

Wow--you probably have more acute eyes than I. On good plasmas I really can't see any motion blur. Therefore, I think you would do well to check this feature out for yourself before writing any large checks. *I* saw ridiculously smooth motion, yes, but I don't know that my eyes are the most discerning ones in this forum.

I did not check for an SD feed--sorry. I actually don't watch tv much at all, so I'm afraid I quite selfishly overlooked that admittedly very important issue. Brackhar, as our only (remaining) member who owns an 81, could you report on that? Does digital SD look acceptable, or are the flaws and artifacts from the poor source rampant?

Yours,

David
post #4478 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

David, thanks for the review. time well spent and congrat's on your purchase. We should be due for some more user feedback in the coming days. And thanks for the pics you took while there.

Drew

PS: At the risk of adding more fuel to the fire for the anti-glare crowd: http://www.glarebusters.com This is hysterical.

PPS: vtms' earlier post on trolls and other attention mongers is very accurate and par for the course.
post #4479 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM

I'm still waiting for my 5281 to arrive sometime on monday but when it does I will be sure to start a new official owners thread if no one has done so by then.

It just so happens that I have to finish off some vacation by August 31st or I would lose that time so I took the whole next week off. That should give me a lot of time to tinker with the set and answer some of the questions that you guys may have although my tv/home theatre knowledge is still pretty basic. This will be a learning experience for me.

I've ordered both the Avia and Digital Video Essentials calibration DVDs that I am expecting to arrive the latter part of the week so no calibration until then. This will be my first time calibrating a tv so hopefully the results aren't too bad.

Anyway, just posting to raise my post count past whatever number that is required to link URLs and post pictures or do whatever.
post #4480 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

At the risk of adding more fuel to the fire for the anti-glare crowd: http://www.glarebusters.com This is hysterical.

That is funny. It gives new meaning to "As Seen On TV."

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4481 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

PS: At the risk of adding more fuel to the fire for the anti-glare crowd: http://www.glarebusters.com This is hysterical.

HAHAHAHA!!

Omigosh--what a terrifying prospect. Could you imagine spending $4k on a 46" tv and then proceeding to spray a bunch of goo directly onto the screen?? Man, that would take some very serious cahones. Wow. Hahahahahaha. Perhaps one of our multi-millionaire members can try it sometime just for kicks.

When my little $3k baby arrives, the only thing that will touch that screen is my super-soft lintless cloth and the air jet from my air duster can. Even my drool (from the honeymoon period) will not be allowed to make contact. No way.

-David
post #4482 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 AM

Does anybody know of any stores in the Cincinnati/Dayton, Ohio area that will be carrying the 81 series? I've been looking for a ~52" LCD recently, and I wanted to hold off on buying anything until I managed to see the 81 series in person.

I've looked into Magnolia stores, but the ones I've found are approximately 2 hours drive (Lexington, Louisville, and many in Indianapolis area). I figured if there is something within a more reasonable driving distance, this would be the place to find out...
post #4483 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Also, I still don't quite understand why it cannot be used in standard mode. Also, I note that the 120Hz 71s allow for varying *degrees* of motion smoothing (and apparently it works best on LOW or MEDIUM). Is anything like this possible on the 81s, or is it just a straight ON/OFF feature,

Well, know for sure? The book shows only On or Off for the 81. 71 has three settings.

81 series
LED Motion Plus -> On / Off
Removes drag from fast scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clearer picture.

The 71 manual shows 120 Hz in the menus, but this description is the same as above:

71 Series
Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz -> Low / Medium / High

Removes drag from fast scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clearer picture.

CadJoe
post #4484 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post

I'm still waiting for my 5281 to arrive sometime on monday but when it does I will be sure to start a new official owners thread if no one has done so by then.

It just so happens that I have to finish off some vacation by August 31st or I would lose that time so I took the whole next week off. That should give me a lot of time to tinker with the set and answer some of the questions that you guys may have although my tv/home theatre knowledge is still pretty basic. This will be a learning experience for me.

I've ordered both the Avia and Digital Video Essentials calibration DVDs that I am expecting to arrive the latter part of the week so no calibration until then. This will be my first time calibrating a tv so hopefully the results aren't too bad.

Anyway, just posting to raise my post count past whatever number that is required to link URLs and post pictures or do whatever.

Wow wow wow wow. Okay, naturo, you are my new hero.

One thing for which I am dying is calibration data. Sadly, I have neither an Avia disc nor a spyder, so I expect to be highly dependent on other people's calibration reports for my own eventual settings. Whenever you do finish your calibrations, could you please post them and report on why you prefer what you prefer? That would be huge for me.

By any chance, do you have a spyder and/or a calibration disc? If not, no biggie, but if so, your post-calibration settings would set the ideal standard for me.

I'm looking forward to all your reports. Oh, by the way, though, I should offer one little caveat: I encourage you *not* to post right away. Play with it and get a good dose of personal, selfish enjoyment first. These things are so lovely and you paid such a chunk of cash for it, that I think it's reasonable for you to satisfy our collective greed only after satisfying your own for a while.

Yours,

David
post #4485 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadJoe View Post

Well, know for sure? The book shows only On or Off for the 81. 71 has three settings.

81 series

The 71 manual shows 120 Hz in the menus, but this description is the same as above:

71 Series

CadJoe

Hi CadJoe,

Huh. That is good information--thanks for that. From what you say, my present guess is that it's an ON/OFF deal, but it is frustrating that Samsung is so inconsistent and sporadic in the literature they release. You'd think the PR guys would take someone to task for this weakness. I mean, it cannot possibly help their sales, now can it?

Yours,

David
post #4486 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

You exaggerate things FAR too much. Feel free to visit my home where I can show exactly how a plasma with an anti-glare coating operates (day and night).

You telling me I exaggerate? This is a laugh!

These are just my opinions.
post #4487 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Perhaps someone could start a new owners thread?

this thread is old and too long already

Yes, I think it's time...
post #4488 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Hi pelowell,

Not for four thousand dollars, no. Like I mentioned earlier, my *car* is worth that, and my car is a much, much more useful machine than a tv, so in terms of its use value, the car beats any tv by an order of magnitude.

As best I can tell, the real downside to these displays is their cost.

Oh, vtms--I did not specifically compare the 81 with a Kuro simply because I knew for a fact I was not going to get a plasma (this is a computer monitor for me). I did check a lot of LCDs and a pretty good number of plasmas, though, both in the Magnolia and in the main BB store. In my admittedly colored opinion, the 81 was the best display in the entire store (note, though, that I did not notice any OLEDs anywhere).

Yours,

David

Meh, my car is nothing more than an iPod on wheels. I use it because I have to. My TV is something I use because I WANT to.
post #4489 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadJoe View Post

81 series

71 Series

CadJoe

Okay, thinking about it, I now think it's pretty clear that the LED motion plus thingy is an ON/OFF deal. No sweat. On it I saw none of the problems associated with having the 71s motion plus on HIGH. I did see one other minor thing with it, though, so I suppose I should append this to my earlier review: it tweaks the colors a little bit. I can't say for sure, but I think it made the image a bit greener, or something. It definitely did affect the colors, but lacking expertise, I can't say exactly how.

Yours,

David
post #4490 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phigment View Post

For the Canadians on this site. I found an online retailer listing the 5281. Unfortunately it's not in stock.

Dumoulin.com

Looks like the french version of this

http://www.audiotronic.ca

Regards
post #4491 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Actually, sir, my comment was not directly specifically at you (though your post did fall under the rubric). There has been a LOT of acrimony between quite a few people who do not even personally know each other on this thread over the last few days, and for the life of me I cannot see where or why it is needed.

I fully realize that it is frustrating to be subjected to people hijacking the thread and carping about some one single issue regarding which no new information is even possible anymore. I happen to share your frustration in that regard, especially because it has reached a point where so many of the posts right now just aren't even helpful anymore. Nolo cotendre.

However, I find personal acrimony and insults to be an even bigger turn-off. I mean, if I wanted to read the sort of stuff that's on Slashdot, I'd go to Slashdot. Is it not possible for us to endure what I freely admit is a substantial amount of frustration, appeal to the authority of our kind moderators where necessary, and still maintain a measure of civility? In my personal opinion most of the *frequent* posters here are trying hard to be genuinely helpful both in their questions and in their answers. It is to that spirit of cooperation that I am trying to appeal.

Sincerely,

David

Amen, just take my tact. Anyone that whines about the glossy screen more than once in multiple posts gets put on my Ignore list(check your avsforum settings, you can ignore users). Those people might have something valuable to add when they're not whining about features they already knew existed on the TV, but I'll never know. No big loss.
post #4492 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Amen, just take my tact. Anyone that whines about the glossy screen more than once in multiple posts gets put on my Ignore list(check your avsforum settings, you can ignore users).

Yah, that thing's pretty good. I checked, and on demand you even can click and read the posts that you have blocked, just in case they contain something. It's a fine feature.

"iPod on wheels." Heheheheheheh...
post #4493 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:36 AM

so david why dont you start and owners thread?
and tally up a big review of you're findings for the first post?
post #4494 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
No offense to the new owners reporting in so far as they are helping to the best of their abilities, but it should be more illuminating once we begin to see the feedback coming in from new owners who've owned one or more of some of the higher grade video panels within the last couple of years, having had extensive viewing time in their homes (as we know that showroom viewing experiences do not communicate much useful info), as well as having more substantive experience with flat panel and general film/video-related issues.

As of right now, it's like we've got former Ford Pinto owners upgrading directly to Lamborghini's. Of course, they are going to be utterly amazed. It will be more convincing once we start seeing some people who've long ago graduated from their Pinto's and have made some impressive upgrades along the way, i.e., Lexus, Acura, etc., and now, are seeking an even higher level of performance. That's when I'll really start to pay attention, waiting to see what experienced comparative insights they will have to offer, their opinions as to whether or not the upgrade is significant enough to warrant the extra $$ premiums right now, etc.

I'm sure that will happen soon enough, but in the meantime, I can't get too enthused about the "hands on" feedback we've read about so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glow11 View Post

Get the glossy and don't dust it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT1000 View Post

Hey guys We've had the 71 in our bb store for almost a week and i've tried the 120hz refresh on the tv but i actually don't prefer it. On our sports loop it makes feet, bats, tennis and baseballs almost lag and artifact. Then on movies it makes them not look like a movie anymore it's too smooth is there something i may not be doing right as far as settings?

Try to find your answer in a thread dedicated to the 71 Series. That's where you're most likely to find the right kind of feedback. Your question will probably just get lost in a thread like this one (as it has so far).

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #4495 of 4495 Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please use this new owners thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=896887

And please, no trolling, no attacking other members, no prices, retail links, etc..

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page