AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Audio delay on HD channels (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/791773-audio-delay-hd-channels.html)

BlueWRXPride 01-21-2007 09:24 AM

I have an LCD HD TV and can receive HD channels OTA as well as through cable. I've noticed that some of the channels have the audio slightly behind the video. CBS seems to be the worst with this, while FOX doesn't seem to have this problem at all. If there is a basketball game on CBS, it's really annoying to watch since the sound of the ball hitting the court doesn't match up. Is it the same regardless of if i view the channel OTA or on cable. Is there something wrong with my tv? Or is this just a problem with their signal and I have to deal with it?

Nmlobo 01-21-2007 10:20 AM

There most likely is nothing wrong with your tv. What you are experiencing is not rare with HD TV although it is not as usual as it once was. Are you using an A/V receiver? Some of the newer ones allow you to adjust the delay. As for which is better (cable or ota), why not try both and see which one works better. My 'guess' is that you will find OTA works better.

BlueWRXPride 01-21-2007 10:34 AM

Both seem to be pretty equal as far as OTA vs cable. As long as it's not something wrong with my tv i can deal with it. i'll have to look into my audio receiver to see if there is a delay function on it.

BlueWRXPride 01-26-2007 09:06 PM

no delay function on my receiver unfortunately. would a different brand of tv be better about handling this? or is this just a problem with the hd signal and something you have to deal with?

fugiot 01-26-2007 09:35 PM

I would suggest running everything into the TV and then to the receiver from the TV's audio output.

If that's what you're doing already....then....uhhhh........iono..

BlueWRXPride 01-26-2007 10:01 PM

but the audio is even off if i am just playing the audio through the tv itself...

edkozlosky 03-10-2007 07:17 AM

I just bought an LG 37LC2D HDTV. I have noticed the audio delay on virtually ALL HD channels. I put it side by side with another HDTV I have to determine whether it was the signal or the TV, as I did not notice audio delay with the other HDTV (Vizio 42" Plasma). Sure enough, very noticeable lag with the LG audio. Only a fraction of a second lag but enough to be very annoying, especially for how much I paid for the TV. Based on my google searches of this LG model, I have seen too many other people with problems, so I will be taking it back and looking at other brands. Too bad though, because the picture is excellent (one of the best), and the sound quality is the best I have heard out of ant HDTV speakers.

DrBaalzamon 03-10-2007 07:52 AM

From what I've been told ( or what I can remember) if you're watching HD TV through like say Direct TV while its connected to your TV through HDMI I believe there is a slight lag because of the HDMI handshake or whatever its called. I remember reading something about it either here or at dbstalk.com , cant remember the details.

I noticed this when I switched from component to HDMI when I had my box initially hooked up, hope this helps!

-Emerson

Techaholic 03-10-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaalzamon View Post

From what I've been told ( or what I can remember) if you're watching HD TV through like say Direct TV while its connected to your TV through HDMI I believe there is a slight lag because of the HDMI handshake or whatever its called. I remember reading something about it either here or at dbstalk.com , cant remember the details.

I noticed this when I switched from component to HDMI when I had my box initially hooked up, hope this helps!

-Emerson

I have component from Direct TV into a 26" Olevia and it was bad delay last night watching TNTHD Mission Impossible2

Nmlobo 03-10-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

I have component from Direct TV into a 26" Olevia and it was bad delay last night watching TNTHD Mission Impossible2

TNTHD is the ONLY channel where I notice this - never on any other channel.