HANNspree Xv 37 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 469 Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And here is the upload board for those who are curious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 469 Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Update:

To bring closure to my problem, Hannspree has decided that this is a problem specific to the 4250HD software that Cablevision is using in my area. They told me they have only 1 other case with this problem and the user is in my area with the same box.

They no longer make the xv37 for the American market (they said it was a limited run) and don't have the resources to work on this issue for just 2 users.

I talked to Cablevision but they dont offer any other non-dvr HDMI boxes.

So, I will save up for an HDMI dvd player to free up the component input, and move the cable box there.

Still love the TV
post #453 of 469 Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 AM

Liked: 11
Having reviewed the issues raised in this thread and compared them to other threads about different TVs, I've decided to buy the XV37

Originally I was planning to get the 32" JTE2 model for £320 inc VAT/next-day delivery, but I found the 37" JTE2 model for just £50 more (£370 inc VAT/next-day delivery) at clearancebuys.co.uk (apparently this offer is valid for this week only, although I'm not sure how true that is)

I've never used or even heard of clearancebuys.co.uk before but I found a few forum posts saying people have used them without any problems. I've paid by credit card (via Google Checkout) so if anything goes wrong I'm (hopefully) covered.

Fingers crossed it doesn't arrive tomorrow damaged or with dead pixels.
post #454 of 469 Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Liked: 14
I wonder if they would be willing to send me a board so i could update my television so i could have a better picture as well :P

I am going to be receiving my 80GB PS3 tomorrow via the sonystyle $100 off credit card deal they have going on right now... i need to pick up an HDMI cable but im not sure which one to get. I cant imagine paying $60 for a generic one from gamestop.... geez

AVS has suggested this site for cables and other stuff

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

But i dont know the first thing about HDMI... which cable should i get for my ps3/hannspree xv37?
post #455 of 469 Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 AM

Ok well i received my monoprice cable yesterday and hooked it up...

When i am on the PS3 menus, everything automatically outputs to 1080i and it looks alright, but when i play any game my Hannspree xV37 automatically switches over to 720p. When this happens, all the edges of things in the games have sort of.. sparkles? or something... It's weird as heck.

So i was tinkering around in the PS3 menu, and set it to only send out 1080i

Now the games will go into 1080i and the sparkles have mostly gone away but the pic seems just a tad dark and maybe not as sharp and detailed as it could be. Not as sharp as it was in 720 but the payoff seems to be no sparklies... hmm

Does all of this sound normal to everyone?
post #456 of 469 Old 11-18-2007, 02:57 PM

Yes, the 720p signal processing on HDMI is less than perfect. Prior to my firmware update I preferred having my set-top-box send a 1080i signal over 720p.
I could not really see much difference between the 2 though besides the bad edge enhancement causing the "sparkles" you speak of.

Now I use 720p off the cable box and it's fine.
post #457 of 469 Old 11-18-2007, 09:00 PM

Oh so your firmware update fixed the sparklies?
post #458 of 469 Old 12-06-2007, 02:36 PM

I have a 32" model but the menu 991 code doesnt work for it. Does anybody know of another one that might?

Thanks
post #459 of 469 Old 12-12-2007, 10:13 AM

This is really irritating the hell out of me.

I play my 360 at 1366x768 or whatever via vga, and it looks good at every resolution i choose. Looks great via Component as well.

Now that i have a PS3 i play via HDMI on port 1 (havent tried switching ports yet) and it looks very grainy in any res (on ps3 you pick 480/720/1080) ... the menus all look like a very very low resolution JPEG, and in 720p the edges of things are jagged and there are "Sparklies" as i've mentioned earlier in this thread. In 1080i the sparklies go away but the picture doesnt look as sharp.

Some games don't support 1080i though, like Motorstorm which came with it... it will only either do 480p or 720p. If i try to force it into 1080i it kicks back to 480.

I called Hannspree Tech Support to see if i could get someone to perform the firmware upgrade but the guy swore up and down that no such update existed and that it was ONLY plug and play.

He told me that it was my PS3, not the TV.

Ugh.

What should i do in this situation? It bugs the hell out of me...

I bought my HDMI cable through Monoprice.. its a 6' 1.3 cable.

I could also try Component but i'd have to fork over the cash just to troubleshoot it, and i would prefer it work via HDMI correctly anyway.

post #460 of 469 Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM

See your PM, splattered.
post #461 of 469 Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 PM

I seem to be having more problems with my TV now... last night while the PS3 was sitting in the menu screen i started getting white sparkles and green static that made the speakers make clicky noises... i reset the PS3 and the green static went away but i still saw white sparkles here and there...

Also, i was watching planet earth on HD-DVD via my 360 over VGA and it has some sort of slight colorful static on the entire image that i have never noticed before.

***yeah, im getting the green static again just sitting in the menu streaming music through TVersity.

Guess i should try picking up an HDMI cable somewhere to troubleshoot it.

Ugh they're so expensive.
post #462 of 469 Old 12-31-2007, 05:56 PM

HDMI cables are not expensive.. monoprice dot com.
I have their component cable for my cable box and an HDMI for my dvd player. Great quality and properly priced.

I never had problems with my VGA input though. I run my HTPC on it and it's always been great even before my firmware upgrade.
post #463 of 469 Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM

I got my cable from Monoprice actually. :P

Ahh troubleshooting can go in so many different directions in a situation like this... is it cables? tv? ps3? settings? ... blargh.
post #464 of 469 Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

This is really irritating the hell out of me.

I play my 360 at 1366x768 or whatever via vga, and it looks good at every resolution i choose. Looks great via Component as well.

Now that i have a PS3 i play via HDMI on port 1 (havent tried switching ports yet) and it looks very grainy in any res (on ps3 you pick 480/720/1080) ... the menus all look like a very very low resolution JPEG, and in 720p the edges of things are jagged and there are "Sparklies" as i've mentioned earlier in this thread. In 1080i the sparklies go away but the picture doesnt look as sharp.

Some games don't support 1080i though, like Motorstorm which came with it... it will only either do 480p or 720p. If i try to force it into 1080i it kicks back to 480.

I have the same issue playing games with the PS3 over HDMI. Everything seems oddly grainy and sparkly. This does not happen when watching DVDs, Blu-ray discs, or demo Blu-ray video content. It happens using all three HDMI ports and with two different HDMI cables. Using component, the picture isn't as nice, but all of the headache inducing sparkles and graininess issues disappear. Unfortunately, I'm currently using the component connector for my 360. For the short term I've decided to pick up a VGA connector for the 360, and I plan on leaving the PS3 physically hooked to both the HDMI and component inputs. The latter for games, the former for movies. Has anyone come up with a better solution?

Did anyone figure out what was causing these visual artifacts with the PS3 via HDMI? Is it some weird image processing in the TV set that can be shut off? (I've shut off the processing options in the factory menu to no avail.)
post #465 of 469 Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM

so It appears that my TV is experiencing some flickering lines of some sort on the edges of the picture. Anyone else have this problem?
post #466 of 469 Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 AM

I have this TV, rebranded. I believe a Flash may sort its issues out - Does anyone have the Firmware ( Old or new ).
I have a suitable flashing board so all I need is the code
Thanks in advance
post #467 of 469 Old 04-23-2010, 06:16 AM

Holy crap the thread lives!
I may (probably) still have the firmware files. I will look for them and let you know.
post #468 of 469 Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

Could your problem be signal strength ? When I first hooked mine up I had my cable split several times before the Xv37. It could tune some QAM channels but not all. I cleaned up my cable run eliminating a split and some splices and now it tunes them all.

Which leads into a question I have. This is the first QAM/ATSC set I've ever owned and I was surprised that you apparently cannot manually add any channels. If the autoscan doesn't find a tunable frequency I haven't found a way to force it onto the channel list.

I have an antenna with a rotor and would like to be able to add channels that can be tuned by changing the aim of my antenna without constantly running autoscan.

I see that adding new channels by way of moving the antenna is an old problem with this brand of TV. Four years later, the new Hannspree models also lack the ability to add new channels without running auto-scan. Auto-scan deletes all previously acquired channels. So every time the antenna is rotated, it is necessary to run auto-scan. I have contacted Hannspree support and there has been no reply. Will Hannspree ever correct this design flaw?
post #469 of 469 Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 AM

I just managed to contact Hannspree support to ask about manual tuning on the 28" LCD. The answer was that this feature is not available on this model and I will have to rescan every time I need to turn the antenna. Apparently, this feature is available only on models that are 42' or bigger. I would test this in the store before purchasing another Hannspree TV. I don't have space for anything over a 32" at this time, so I won't be buying any more Hannspree TV's.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page