Please help me select a TV! :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been pulling my hair out for a month. I've got a nice 27" CRT but since getting an Xbox 360 I feel the picture is too small. I bought a Viewsonic N3251W and that was a disaster. I have only analog cable and the picture quality was so bad I would take a 13" black and white over that. UGH! Had some blocky issues and blur. It didn't look half bad with the 360 at 720P but if the woman can't watch TV and I had to watch the Super Bowl with that....NO WAY! Sent it back. Also had extremely poor audio as if the speakers were distorting. My cable company sends it through the phone lines to a Motorola box with Coax and RCA outs. Picture was abysmal trying both.

So I have a few issues here. Was the Viewsonic just a crappy TV? Defective? Or was the cable through a HDTV the issue? I don't know. The picture looks fairly good on my year old CRT.

I'm wanting a TV 32" or larger. As cheap as possible (but maintaining reliability and quality) that will be good for my cable and also good with 360 games. I nearly bought a Sharp 50U because it would fit my current entertainment cabinet but think maybe I need to go bigger and toss my pricey cabinet.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good LCD TVs tend to be more expensive. You're not going to get a decent LCD TV -- by the standards of members here -- for a few hundred dollars.

If you want a larger screen of decent quality on the cheap side, you probably need to look at RPTV rather than LCD.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM

i am also looking to strike a budget vs. quality balance, and the sharp 32d50u is on my short list. were you unhappy with the viewsonic's size as well as the picture quality?

i'm finding that most "mid-level" 32" lcd's can be had right now for between $700-900, shipped. for the better-rated lcd's you're going to be pushing $900-1.2k, and "budget" 32" models come in between $500-700 shipped. keep in mind these are just my experiences so far.

edit: i apologize if price ranges like this are forbidden, but i believe as i am not discussing specifics with regards to certain models i'm in the clear
post #5 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Good LCD TVs tend to be more expensive. You're not going to get a decent LCD TV -- by the standards of members here -- for a few hundred dollars.

If you want a larger screen of decent quality on the cheap side, you probably need to look at RPTV rather than LCD.

I think I dropped $xxx on the 32" Viewsonic so I'm not trying to get something dirt cheap. And RPTV would be appealing except for the bulbs and viewing angles.

Edited the price out but it was higher than they are now.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post

i am also looking to strike a budget vs. quality balance, and the sharp 32d50u is on my short list. were you unhappy with the viewsonic's size as well as the picture quality?

i'm finding that most "mid-level" 32" lcd's can be had right now for between $700-900, shipped. for the better-rated lcd's you're going to be pushing $900-1.2k, and "budget" 32" models come in between $500-700 shipped. keep in mind these are just my experiences so far.

edit: i apologize if price ranges like this are forbidden, but i believe as i am not discussing specifics with regards to certain models i'm in the clear

I don't think I was exactly unhappy with the Viewsonic's size but the more I think about it maybe I should go 42" and be done with it. Sure it will be a big pain to move that entertainment cabinet I have now but perhaps bigger is better.

I REALLY need something that can display decent analog cable. I called the other cable company and neither have high def out here in my town (with no known future plans by either reps I talked to). Thats really what killed the Viewsonic for me as it was beyond horrible with my cable.

Needs a good response time so my 360 doesn't look like poo.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 PM

Most LCDs will provide decent to awesome HD pic. if you feed HD. With SD, it's whole another matter, as the size gets bigger, more it becomes noticible how ****** SD is. Regarding SD, I think Sharp is still on top.

Having said that it seems like, your best bet is to go with TV with ATSC, QAM decoder so you can get it over the air for free.

Superbowl is over and this year models are on the horizon, wait & get 2006 model.

Entropy.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

The local stations also have no immediate plans to send anything HD over the air. So basically a rural area with only analog cable I'm stuck with a crappy picture no matter what I do as far as getting an LCD?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page