Please help me out!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to purchase a new TV within the next couple of months and my choices are out of these 3 TVs:

Sharp AQUOS 42" LCD (LC-42D62U)

Samsung 40" LCD (LN-S4095D)

Sony 40" BRAVIA V-Series (KDL-40V2500)

If you had to choose one of these 3 TVs, which one would you choose and why?

360 = Blackbond007X
PS3 = Agent007BK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2007, 12:45 PM

fwiw, there have been a fair number of complaints concerning "cloudiness" with the sony 40v2500. you can find them by searching this forum.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks onepoint, I will make sure to do a search on that issue. I guess with the material that CC had airing on the TV wasn't making that issue apparent. But I did notice a bit of noise on SD programming when I had the rep assisting me switch from HD to SD programming.

360 = Blackbond007X
PS3 = Agent007BK
Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 PM

I think the other two panels have the shiny black frames which to me are distracting.

All three panels have fantastic pictures and would serve you well sitting in your living room.

Don't worry too much about the SD programming, as most of it is going to look pretty bad if you watch much in the way of HD.

And don't get caught up reading the threads in this forum, if you do you'll never pull the trigger and get one

Good luck to you!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I do agree with you WhatsOn about the piano finish on the Sammy and the Sharp. During the day time, that would be a little annoying being that my room is at the front of the house and the sun could literally have a seat in my room, lol.

360 = Blackbond007X
PS3 = Agent007BK
Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsOnTV View Post

And don't get caught up reading the threads in this forum, if you do you'll never pull the trigger and get one

!

Yes whatever you do don't thoroughly research a major purchase . What I would suggest is to research each one and take info in hand to where you want to make the purchase. Compare each set side by side if possible. Then buy the set that looks best to YOUR EYES. You will find threads dedicated to each one on this forum and if it was me I would take the time to research and see what the KNOWN problems are. Thats just me
Old 02-09-2007, 05:32 PM

I chose the Sony; almost got the Samsung, but it has no QAM tuner. Would have considered the Sharp, but it has no vga input. My set has some clouding, but I never notice it while watching anything.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Yes whatever you do don't thoroughly research a major purchase . What I would suggest is to research each one and take info in hand to where you want to make the purchase. Compare each set side by side if possible. Then buy the set that looks best to YOUR EYES. You will find threads dedicated to each one on this forum and if it was me I would take the time to research and see what the KNOWN problems are. Thats just me

I'm sure "SystemsAnalyst" knows how to research

My point being you won't find a tv on this forum that doesn't have issues with clouding, banding, sound quality, picture quality, bad customer service, dead pixels, overscanning, etc. etc. etc.

At his/her price point, SystemAnalyst is going to get a very nice tv. I finally (after two months of going crazy reading reviews) settled on a Sony KDL-40S2010 and guess what NO ISSUES
Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

I am a LCD mfg apps engineer and have been in the display industry for 26 years and TFT LCDs for 16 years. We first bough a Sharp 42" and returned it for the Sony 40V2500.

Why??? Clouds (nah), banding (myth), other LCD-isms...no

My wife could not stand the shiney black of the Sharp and took the Sony instead. $50 more for 2 inches smaller. Image over substance.