Official Sceptre X42GV Komodo Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about some pics of the back/inputs and the remote?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webaccount View Post

Well mine is going back to Costco since it makes no sense for me to spend another 1K (I already bought the Sharp the week before, would return the Sharp if I hadn't given my old Sony CRT away) to watch lousy TV when I can watch it better on my current Sony analog projection, I guess we just have to accept the fact that HD TVs are not meant to play SD content

If you want it and the sale expires maybe we can work something out

just kidding

So are you keeping the Sharp or keeping the Komodo? Many of the pictures of the Komodo seem to show jagged edges (not sure if this is the camera, content or the TV). Are there any case popping sounds with the Komodo? My Sharp has a lot of case popping sounds. Also have you tried any gray test patterns to see if there is banding similar to the Sharp banding issues? Feature wise, the Komodo has more options then the Sharp (PIP, POP, Guide, 1080p support, etc).
post #183 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzz View Post

Ok, finally, UPS driver came at 9pm, instead of bringing the box with him, he asked me to help him. So I went out and helped him to haul the box in my house.

I didn't have too much time to test everything, just briefly turned it on, scanned the OTA channels, hooked up pc to try.

My impression is, this TV used a lot better material to build the frame, looks or feels just like those name brand products (my 42" Naga is cheapy, looks ugly). The PQ is hard to judge, since so far I really didn't have time to compare side by side with my Naga. it seems SD is better than Naga. when connected the PC, it displayed nicely at it's native resolution at 1360x768, my PC graphic card is nVidia 6200 256Mb, via VGA connection (haven't tried HDMI yet), it can be set to 1920x1080 without problem, but since it is just upscaled, due to it's larger pixel pitch, the text displays blurry, so it is a little disappointed, if you are going to use this set as your pc monitor, then don't expect too much. Color is nice, it has better black level than Naga. if you use it to watch TV and DVD movie enjoyment, then this set is a good buy at this price!

See flowing pictures, my digital camera date setting was wrong, one day behide. I didn't use tripod, so the pics look not that good though.

box view 1
box view 2
opened box

more next post...

bzzz,

Thanks for taking the time to post first impressions for all of us on the fence or waiting!

The blurry text is the VGA connection no matter what anyone tell's you Never use VGA for a PC into an HDTV. Get an inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable & you will without a doubt have sharper text.

Now for a quick question will this set do 1:1 Pixel Mapping throug HDMI?
post #184 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 AM

Buzz or Webaccount,
What's the rated power consumption of this TV? Thanks.
post #185 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Well mine is going back to Costco since it makes no sense for me to spend another 1K (I already bought the Sharp the week before, would return the Sharp if I hadn't given my old Sony CRT away) to watch lousy TV when I can watch it better on my current Sony analog projection, I guess we just have to accept the fact that HD TVs are not meant to play SD content

If you want it and the sale expires maybe we can work something out

just kidding

Yes, many High Defintion TV's do not display SD content real well. You take the good with the bad. I have to believe that 42" Komodo set is going to display the best SD that it can on this panel since it utilizes the faroudja chip. The faroudja is no slouch when it comes to processing.

Truthfully I am not real sure why people buy HDTV's when they dont even have an HD source? What is the point? If one really wants to watch SD content and have the picture look great then perhaps they should look at the regular CRT TV's. There are still many Sonys XBR's TV's available and even some 36" RCA WS tubes out there. I have an older Sanyo 30" ws tube tv. It displays great SD and awesome HD.
post #186 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb2ncsu View Post

Does it make sense that my shipment tracking still only displays this as its latest entry?
ONTARIO,CA, US 03/02/2007 8:53 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

Says it is still on time for estimated 3/8 delivery though.

Yes, that is pretty normal. It will not update until tomorrow most likely. It has to get to its destination center first before it updates. Right now it is on a bog truck making its way across the country.

Mine is due on the 8th as well. I am in Ohio. I am sure the display will get into its hub in Kentucky today. Then it will ship tomorrow to my local hub (Dayton) and it will be on the truck for delivery on Thursday.
post #187 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsup View Post

Thanks in advance, I'd like to see how reflective the face panel is in case if if you have a windows on any side of your room. Also I wonder about the thing under "sceptre" logo, is this a power indicator, and if it is how bright it is.

The thing under the sceptre logo is a power indicator. There is an unlit outline that looks like an arrow or water drop about an inch long and the indicator light extends only about 1/8 in. from the top down. It is red when the TV is off and blue when on. It's not too distracting because it is quite small.
post #188 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerage View Post

bzzz,

Thanks for taking the time to post first impressions for all of us on the fence or waiting!

The blurry text is the VGA connection no matter what anyone tell's you Never use VGA for a PC into an HDTV. Get an inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable & you will without a doubt have sharper text.

Now for a quick question will this set do 1:1 Pixel Mapping throug HDMI?

I don't know how to tell if it does 1:1 pixel mapping but I did try it as a monitor thru VGA. When I matched the native resolution of the screen (almost at 1366 x 760) the test was pretty sharp.
post #189 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 AM

Anyone have opionion on the Sceptre X42GV Komodo vs the Visio GV42L? I was considering the Vizio GV42L and was just waiting for the local Costco to restock before this Sceptre set went on sale. I would love to see them side by side but not going to happen any time soon. The only obvious difference that jumps out at me is the 8ms resp for Vizio vs 6ms for Sceptre. Well that and right now Septre is $200 less.
post #190 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 AM

please don't judge this komodo's PQ by those pics i posted, as i mentioned, i didn't use tripod, the camera is not a good one, plus, the screen can not be paused, all of these can affect the quality of the pics.

i agree, when you buy a HDTV, you are not going to use it to watch SD. but as matter of the fact, now most of the channels send out the signals both in SD and HD, so even you are not going to sign on HD cable or other services, you can always get OTA HD sources using a good antenna. this Komodo is one of the best to watch SD programming i have ever seen, i don't see any difference with my friend's new sharp aquos 37".

for the pc, at it's native resolution 1360x768, the text is pretty sharp, but when set to 1920x1080, it looked terrible, i don't know if connect it via DVI/HDMi will improve how much, will try this evening.

i will also try a upscale DVD connect to HDMI, see how the PQ is. and also will do some setting adjustment. I don't have anything else to try, e.g. PS3, Wii, Xbox, and I don't even have HD cable, so don't expect too much from me.

Again, it is a very good TV, worth the money. If you let me select 42" Komodo or 37" Sharp Aquos (same price, same 1366x768), i would definitely choose Komodo! but if you are seriously considering to have a good HDTV plus use it as computer monitor, then you should buy the Naga, or some other brands which have native 1920x1080p resolution.
post #191 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 AM

Here are a few DVD pics. Thanks for the photo tips ashutoshsm.
LL
LL
LL
post #192 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 AM

Thanks.....

Bzzz or Bowregard,

Can one of you take pictures of the a/v connections on the back?
post #193 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Been reading this thread with great interest. Glad I found it before it ballons in numbers of post (the Naga-42 thread is up to nearly 4000 posts! -I've read them all!)

Thanks to you pioneers who first ordered and are beginning to give 1st impressions.

I am an original Naga-X42 owner and believe this new set to be a real bargain. My orginal has been flawlessly operating daily for the past 11 months.

I'm planning to order the Komodo for my g-friend.

---------

In some previous posts questions have asked about heat and power consumption of the original Nagas. There is heat to be felt directly off the screen and above the media box. My media box has about 6" of space above it. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Power? Why is that an issue? If it burns 500watts or 600, or whatever? Do people have a line over which they won't buy a product?

I've never heard of anyone rejecting one product over the other because it used less watts.

My guess is there are more watts being burned in the average house by those 10 or 20 little black transformers plugged into sockets around the house.

Oh, thanks for posting all the photo's so far too! Thumbs up!

..rickko..
post #194 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:39 AM

So how is the built-in upconversion?
post #195 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhite View Post

Thanks.....

Bzzz or Bowregard,

Can one of you take pictures of the a/v connections on the back?

The costco site has a photo of the back A/V connections. Just select "larger Views" and you will find 5 photos including the remote and back. The A/V connection photo is exactly what you see looking directly up except that the diagram would not be seen - you see it when looking from the back.
post #196 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM

The up conversion is good. Better than the 52" Sharp Aquos at my Grandmothers house, that could just be a size issue though...

Can some one measure the spacing on the wall mount holes for me? I am shopping online for a wall mount, and forgot my measurements at home. I did not see them on the Sceptre website.

Thanks.
post #197 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 AM

For those of you that have posted pics - Thank You. I was orginally going to get the Vizio but after reading up on all your postive comments and pics I think this will be the one. (and if its not I can always return it and get the vizio, gotta love Costco) Can someone post up a pic of the backside of the unit so we can all see the orientation of the connections. Off to the taxman to make this deam a reality. Thanks Agian
post #198 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 AM

If anyone has both the Sharp 37" and this Sceptre, could you please post up a side-by-side picture and review of which is better?
post #199 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBulldog View Post

If anyone has both the Sharp 37" and this Sceptre, could you please post up a side-by-side picture and review of which is better?

I would be interested in the comparison too. So far the Pros and Cons with the Sharp 37" are:

Pros:

Nice crisp HD picture quality
SD picture quality is reasonable
Nice fully illuminated remote control
No glare screen including frame
No lip-sync issues

Cons:

Case Popping
Grey Test shows Banding
Digital QAM Channels coming in as Channel 0
No advanced features: POP/PIP/Guide
post #200 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds_1910 View Post

So are you keeping the Sharp or keeping the Komodo? Many of the pictures of the Komodo seem to show jagged edges (not sure if this is the camera, content or the TV). Are there any case popping sounds with the Komodo? My Sharp has a lot of case popping sounds. Also have you tried any gray test patterns to see if there is banding similar to the Sharp banding issues? Feature wise, the Komodo has more options then the Sharp (PIP, POP, Guide, 1080p support, etc).

I'm keeping the Sharp, I think the SD on the Sharp is better than Sceptre (the Sceptre shows more noise in dark scenes), the backlight issue is the deal breaker for me, I also noticed some wierd red pattern on the Screptre last night after I posted my initial result, I tried changing channels but that didn't fix it and only after I turned it off & back on then it disappeared, I don't know if that's because I used the cheapo component cable shipped with the TV or it's a real issue with the panel but it didn't impress me

The Sharp doesn't have all that fancy Faroudja technologies but somehow it still comes out on top as far as PQ concerns, I like the features that come with the Sceptre but I think its panel is much inferior to Sharp or orther top-tier so even with Faroujda it still can't compete, it's useless to put the best software in a TV if the hardware can't handle it

All in all, it's a decent set, it's probably on par with Vizio and other second-tier makers but it's definitely not ready for prime time yet, you get what you pay for

I didn't hear any popping sound with the Sceptre, I got the popping sound with the Sharp ONCE so far

I don't use PIP or POP a lot or rarely so that's not important to me, I'm not sure what banding means so NO I didn't do any gray test

Did anyone notice a burning smell coming out of the TV ?? Perhaps that might be the packing foam they use that gives off the wierd smell
post #201 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I like the features that come with the Sceptre but I think its panel is much inferior to Sharp or orther top-tier so even with Faroujda it still can't compete, it's useless to put the best software in a TV if the hardware can't handle it

All in all, it's a decent set, it's probably on par with Vizio and other second-tier makers but it's definitely not ready for prime time yet, you get what you pay for

You have often referred to the panel differences and how the Sceptre is not a top tier panel? What panel is the 42" Komodo using and what qualifies as a top tier?
Kind of confused about your hardware software statement. Faroudja is a hardware chipset. What were you referring to?
post #202 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:36 AM

Someone mentioned seeing this in-store earlier, though others said it was online only. I stopped by one of my several local Costco's last night (one of the benefits of living amongst a zillion other people in Orange County) and they didn't have it. Anyone seen one in a store in SoCal?
post #203 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I'm keeping the Sharp, I think the SD on the Sharp is better than Sceptre (the Sceptre shows more noise in dark scenes), the backlight issue is the deal breaker for me, I also noticed some wierd red pattern on the Screptre last night after I posted my initial result, I tried changing channels but that didn't fix it and only after I turned it off & back on then it disappeared, I don't know if that's because I used the cheapo component cable shipped with the TV or it's a real issue with the panel but it didn't impress me

Sorry, I have another one for you. what kind of tuner/device did you use to test the SD content? Cable box or DVD or what? If DVD player do you have a progressive DVD player or an DVD upconvert unit?
And you said you used the cheap component cables to hook up the TV. Does your SD tuner use component or composite? Please let me know.
post #204 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickko View Post

Been reading this thread with great interest. Glad I found it before it ballons in numbers of post (the Naga-42 thread is up to nearly 4000 posts! -I've read them all!)

Thanks to you pioneers who first ordered and are beginning to give 1st impressions.

I am an original Naga-X42 owner and believe this new set to be a real bargain. My orginal has been flawlessly operating daily for the past 11 months.

I'm planning to order the Komodo for my g-friend.

---------

In some previous posts questions have asked about heat and power consumption of the original Nagas. There is heat to be felt directly off the screen and above the media box. My media box has about 6" of space above it. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Power? Why is that an issue? If it burns 500watts or 600, or whatever? Do people have a line over which they won't buy a product?

I've never heard of anyone rejecting one product over the other because it used less watts.

My guess is there are more watts being burned in the average house by those 10 or 20 little black transformers plugged into sockets around the house.

Oh, thanks for posting all the photo's so far too! Thumbs up!

..rickko..

i am also the naga owner, as you can see it from the box view of the komodo pic in my living room, i love it since it is an excellent PC monitor, and of course the PQ is also great, the only thing i am not satisfied is the poor black level, and bad SD PQ. of course, the design and material looks not that pleasant comparing with name brands. but his komodo feels quite different, looks and feels no difference with name brands, and, of course the most important is the PQ is just excellent, black level has been improved a lot, the setting user interface is very nice, almost like Sharp, remote control reaction is fast, not like Naga's slow remote. i am going to move it to my bedroom, for a TV only, not for computer monitor, so, it is not a big deal it is not a 1080P native panel.
post #205 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Guys,

Thank you all pioneers for doing all the work and posting your comments and reviews. I think that we should focus on good reviews wheather pros or cons and do not allow ourselves to go beyond that. It is an opion and we need to respect that. Thanks to the guys who understands HDTV's and how they work for their guidance on how we can evaluate this TV so we can decide to buy or not to buy. I hate to buy this tv and return it because it is unfair to do that. I am waiting for more evaluation.

Thanks to you pioneers.

Cougs
post #206 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 AM

The main reason I purchased this TV is for gaming. I'm an console gamer and my 360 right now is hooked up to my Plasma, however that is in the living room and well my wife just doesn't like that.

So I guess what I'm asking is, if I'm playing HD Games on this set there shoudln't be a huge issued with PQ cause the signal will be HD. SD picture I'm not too worried about. Considering this TV will be mainly used for gaming.

My friend has the Sharp 37" right now and he loves it for his gaming. Mine is suppose to be delivered on the March 12th, my friend is going to bring down his Sharp to my house so we can do a side by side compare with the Xbox 360. I'll post some pics of that when it happens.

However the good thing is the Sharp is on sale and Costco until the 18th so I have until then to play around with my Sceptre, if I don't like it, back to the store it goes and I'll pick up the Sharp.

"Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell!" ~King Leonidas.
post #207 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:

You have often referred to the panel differences and how the Sceptre is not a top tier panel? What panel is the 42" Komodo using and what qualifies as a top tier?
Kind of confused about your hardware software statement. Faroudja is a hardware chipset. What were you referring to?

Most Sharp panels are made by Sharp, most second-tier makers like Sceptre get their panels from taiwan panel makers like Chimei, I'd take a japanese panel over a taiwanese panel anyday, wouldn't you ?

Wrong, Faroudja is a just set of mathematic algorithms that get burned into a piece of silicon, you call it a chipset but it's just software

If you buy this Secptre for gaming then it's ok since the response time is 6ms (which they claim) so there should be no ghosting there
post #208 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I'm keeping the Sharp, I think the SD on the Sharp is better than Sceptre (the Sceptre shows more noise in dark scenes), the backlight issue

Did anyone notice a burning smell coming out of the TV ?? Perhaps that might be the packing foam they use that gives off the wierd smell

yes i did smell the burning, i asked my wife if she burned something in the kitchen, but actually it was from the TV, it must be from the packing foam, or the new plastic material, hope the smell will go away after a few more hours usage. usually you should smell something when you power on a new TV, but this one is little too much.

tonight i will take more pics as some of you requsted, now i am working, no way to do it.
post #209 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I have another one for you. what kind of tuner/device did you use to test the SD content? Cable box or DVD or what? If DVD player do you have a progressive DVD player or an DVD upconvert unit?
And you said you used the cheap component cables to hook up the TV. Does your SD tuner use component or composite? Please let me know.

I use 2 FTA digital sat receivers to test the Sharp & Sceptre, these recs put out 480i signal, I used component cable on both TVs (but a high quality component cable on the Sharp), I did the test by watching the same movie on the same channel and even the same scenes, I didn't test the Sceptre with a DVD player since there was no need, if the Sceptre can handle 480i nicely there's no reason why it can't handle 480p or 1080i signal

Like I said, this whole process is mostly subjective, you just can't rely on someone to tell you whether you should buy it or not, you feel strongly about the TV you should buy it and hook it up to your own equipment and only then you know if it's a keeper,what I post is merely my opinion
post #210 of 1537 Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 AM

I'd also like to find out the power consumption. I already checked the 2x the price Samsung LN-S4096D which uses 250W at 40", and the Sony KDL-40V2500 which uses 200W at 40". The cheaper 42" Sharp LC-42D62U uses 250W. These are all 1080p screens.

The Sceptre web site says: Power Source Input : 100-240AVC, 50/60Hz, 3.5A max

Do the math: 110V x 3.5A max = 385W max

No PDF manual available though. The power consumption is usually at the end of the manual.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page