post #271 of 5077 Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Share the joy!

Love the T.V., never owned the Sharp but did follow thoroughly on the forums.

Price was the same, almost bought from buy.com but worry about damage. Bought my set from Jack's TV in Bonita, CA. They carry few Olevias, Mitsubishi, Hitachi. Almost bought the Mit 46231 but this Olevia came out right on time. Important for me with VGA and 360 - I want upscaled movies!

Pic is from VGA but not in game mode, now it is in game mode, will take a pic tomorrow. helps out a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 AM

I spent a good 6 hours today watching only HD content on my new 747 and i must say that it is one of the best pictures ive ever seen. I can't remember the last time i sat in front of a TV for this long.

HD content from channels such as HDNet, Discovery, CBS, and NBC are particularly impressive as it is broadcast in 1080i.

Also, after watching all this TV i have noticed light bleeding from the corners. It's never apparent while watching TV but when there is a black screen it is noticeable.

The pictures were all taken with a Canon 20D with a 24-70L lens with the only processing to crop the pictures to screen size.

These are HDNet

ESPDHD

Discovery HD

Finally here is a black screen from and empty video input.
Light bleeding is a little evident on these black screens and perhaps even a faint outline of the eggs, but in normal viewing none of this is seen.

post #273 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 AM

I've been planning on getting the Oppo dv981hd 1080p upconverting DVD player since I have so many Standard def DVD's and I've heard it's one of the best, but with the 747i so good at upconverting with the Realta HQV, would it be better to use a standard DVD player with the HQV or use the Oppo?

Also wondering if a 747i owner could post some SD channel pics to compare to other TV's SD pics (specifically, I'm on the fence between the 747i and the Samsung 4661 or 4665, and have seen some SD pics on their owner's thread and wanted to compare the two) Thanks!
post #274 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM

SoonerFP, I went with Oppo's less expensive 970HD model player to couple with my 747i. From the 970HD I can output SD DVD's native 480i over HDMI cable to the 747i. I couldn't be happier.

If you are getting the 747i, you don't need to get the 981HD. The 981HD is more expensive because it has a better upscaling processor, but you don't need it with Realta HQV. Get the 970HD and let HQV do all the work.

Oppo even recommends the same thing on their website.
post #275 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Dunno but those back pics look fine from here...
post #276 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post

Also wondering if a 747i owner could post some SD channel pics to compare to other TV's SD pics (specifically, I'm on the fence between the 747i and the Samsung 4661 or 4665, and have seen some SD pics on their owner's thread and wanted to compare the two) Thanks!

Here are some SD shots I took. My picture taking process (video camera => TIFF => JPEG) is crap though, so a lot of the detail and smoothness of the pic to the naked eye is lost in these pics. I've seen SD on previous Samsung 1080p LCD's (not the new 65 and 61 models though) and there's no comparison: the Realta HQV on the 747i destroys SD playback from any source. Feed the 747i a crappy signal though, and that's exactly what the set will spit right back at you.

"The McLaughlin Group" on 480i SD with a screen-stretching effect called "Panoramic":

"NiGHTS" (a Sega Saturn game on 480i composite) and "Extra" (syndicated gossip show, 480i on component) on split-screen:

"Match Game" (Game Show Network, 480i) and "Goldeneye 007" (N64 console, 480i S-Video):

"Dateline NBC" and "Que Dice La Gente" (Spanish "Family Feud"). The signal is coming from a cable box as coax into the VCR, and from the VCR to the 747i with a composite signal. These are as low-end as connections get but still:

South American soccer (big screen) and "Deal or No Deal" both coming 480i from the cable box. The screens around are from the 747i's PIP features being tested. Again, in person doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it does in these pics:

Also click on page 7 of this thread to see regular DVD's (480i) on this 747i in action. Later, hope this helped!
post #277 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Ill be posting some SD content later, possibly tonight.

As far as a black screen goes there is some bleeding on the corners that is evident when viewing in person that you dont see in the photos. During regular viewing its not visible and so far no sign of any eggs.
post #278 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've seen SD on previous Samsung 1080p LCD's (not the new 65 and 61 models though) and there's no comparison: the Realta HQV on the 747i destroys Samsung's SD playback from any source.

Fixed it for you...
post #279 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Here are some shots of my set-up.

As you can see the anti-reflective coating doesn't work that well if you have a lot of ambient light coming into the room. In my case the TV is set opposite 3 windows in my living room. Watching TV during the middle of the day is less than ideal, with a lot of glare coming off the screen. During the evening it looks great.

Here is a shot head on with the glare easily visible from the windows.

Now here is a shot from an angle with no reflections visible.

When the sun goes down ill take a few shots of SD TV without the glare interfering.
post #280 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the pics, dad1153 and ptoofan. I'll probably be talking it over with the wife over the next few days to see which LCD would pass the wife test (if she even cares). Thanks also to Runoff for the Oppo info (say Oppo info 3 times fast ) I'll make sure to get the 970HD if we end up going for the 747i...makes a lot more sense to me.

I'm still a little concerned about the glare and viewing angles on the 747i versus say the 4661...our living room has a couple of windows, but one would be directly left of the tv and the other directly left of the sofa, but none actually behind where we'd be sitting. We also have a second sofa at a 90 degree angle to the one that actually faces center on the TV and that second sofa actually faces the two windows. Do you all think the glare might be a bit much during the day or the second sofa too far off center for the 747i?
post #281 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 04:07 PM

dad1153 I notice that you've got the PIP working.

Did you plug your cable line directly into the TV or do you have the signal coming from a STB. I have a STB connected via HDMI to my TV and I am not able to get the PIP working.
post #282 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm using component out of the SA 8300 HD-DVR, composite from the VCR, VGA out of the XBox 360, S-Video from several videogame consoles and a $20 antenna to get OTA stations in Tuner 1. On everything I've tried the PIP works but I don't have an HDMI cable even though my cable box supports it. The manual doesn't mention any limitation with PIP not working with HDMI though. Sorry can't help there.
post #283 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the pics, dad1153 and ptoofan. I'll probably be talking it over with the wife over the next few days to see which LCD would pass the wife test (if she even cares). Thanks also to Runoff for the Oppo info (say Oppo info 3 times fast ) I'll make sure to get the 970HD if we end up going for the 747i...makes a lot more sense to me.

I'm still a little concerned about the glare and viewing angles on the 747i versus say the 4661...our living room has a couple of windows, but one would be directly left of the tv and the other directly left of the sofa, but none actually behind where we'd be sitting. We also have a second sofa at a 90 degree angle to the one that actually faces center on the TV and that second sofa actually faces the two windows. Do you all think the glare might be a bit much during the day or the second sofa too far off center for the 747i?

SoonerFP I have a lot of light coming into my room and reflecting off the TV which does make it distracting during daylight hours. I also have one window directly to the left of the TV set but that doesnt seem to interfere with viewing. Its strictly the windows that are directly behind me that are distracting.

I do most of my viewing in the evening so to me its not a big deal, and if you dont have any behind you then i doubt it would be much of an issue. Also my sofa is an L shape and when i sit anywhere from dead on to up tp 30 degrees off center i dont notice any real deterioration of picture quality. When im at 45 degrees i notice a loss of saturation and brightness, about 25% less then when viewing head on.

Here are some SD screen shots. I've can comment that ive seen SD on my friends 50 inch panny plasma 6th generation and this set blows it away. My other friend has an Olevia 42 LCD that he got at microcenter for about $1100 and it also doesnt come close to this set.

SD screen shots

And I cant help it but here is some more HD material

post #284 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM

WOW!! I've never seen SD content look that good on any HDTV.
post #285 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoofan View Post

Here are some shots of my set-up.

As you can see the anti-reflective coating doesn't work that well if you have a lot of ambient light coming into the room. In my case the TV is set opposite 3 windows in my living room. Watching TV during the middle of the day is less than ideal, with a lot of glare coming off the screen. During the evening it looks great.

Here is a shot head on with the glare easily visible from the windows.

Now here is a shot from an angle with no reflections visible.

When the sun goes down ill take a few shots of SD TV without the glare interfering.

Oh no, I was just about to pull the trigger one one of these, but with that kind of reflectivity it simply won't work in the room I have. It appears to be bad as a plasma in that regard. LCD's aren't supposed to have this issue. This is really unfortunate. The SD quality of this set, and the high quality of HD reproduction had me thinking I had finally found the right answer. NO idea where to turn now

John
post #286 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 PM

Thanks ptoofan for the great screen pics. The SD looks about as clear as the HD which is awesome. I'm personally like you in terms of night viewing more often, but my wife is home during the day, so hopefully oblique light won't be as big a deal, plus she really would like to have the SD looking good for the kid's SD DVDs and all that...just wish we had a B&M store here in Oklahoma that had some 747i's. I'd feel more comfortable ordering from a CC or BB than getting it shipped from a store like buy.*** where they don't accept returns for this kind of stuff if you decide you don't like the glare or viewing angles or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunOff View Post

SoonerFP, I went with Oppo's less expensive 970HD model player to couple with my 747i. From the 970HD I can output SD DVD's native 480i over HDMI cable to the 747i. I couldn't be happier.

If you are getting the 747i, you don't need to get the 981HD. The 981HD is more expensive because it has a better upscaling processor, but you don't need it with Realta HQV. Get the 970HD and let HQV do all the work.

Oppo even recommends the same thing on their website.

In that case, would it work just as well with a standard (non up-converting) DVD player, or perhaps playing a DVD on an Xbox 360 (if I had one) in terms of the PQ with the HQV processing the picture versus using the Oppo 970HD?
post #287 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Anyone have a definitive date on the 742i release? Olevia is all over espn - I cant believe they would spend so much on ad's then not have the flagship material in full throttle....
post #288 of 5077 Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 PM

I just answered my own question about how good the Xbox 360 looks playing DVD's by going farther back in the thread, but I realize that is over VGA connections or the like...anyone playing DVD's with an S-Video conection like my old RCA DVD player that can attest to PQ with the HQV processing at 1080p?
post #289 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 03:59 AM

Glare!

oh poop

Protecting the screen is a good idea but I hate watching myself watching tv!

Post Elven Ent
post #290 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If any HDTV is worth re-arranging the furniture around the living room or A/V room to avoid the glare/reflections (which only happen when light is directy in front of the TV) it's this one folks. At least for now and the foreseeable future the 747i/742i handles SD material better than any other HDTV on the market except maybe high-end Pioneer and Fujitsu plasmas. Every other HDTV on the market doesn't have the technology built-in to handle or smooth SD signals that this Olevia model has. None. If you can wait for a yet-to-be-announced HDTV that has no reflective glass and can handle SD as good as it does HDTV then do it. I personally couldn't wait any longer, and re-arranging my studio apartment to keep sunlight away from my 747i's screen was worth the inhaled dust just to experience HD and SD without compromise.

SoonerFP, the chip that makes SD look good is inside the HDTV so if the XBox 360 had been hooked with S-Video cables (which I don't have) then the TV would have made the pics look good. I've hooked a DVD player with S-Video to the 747i and it looked about as good as the VGA 1080p pics I posted. It really depends on the quality of the DVD (bad DVD = bad PQ regardless of the TV) and the connection since component and HDMI will always look better than S-Video or composite. At least the Realta HQV processes all incoming signals as best it can so you're pretty much covered. Hope tha reassures you somewhat.
post #291 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM

Could one of the owners of a 747i Please post the actual measured dimensions of their set? I would really like to get one of these, but have a very tight space problem and I've been fooled by inacurate published dimensions in the past. Thanks much.

fast-ace
post #292 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
For what its worth Olevia said it is possible to remove the glass, about 10 screws 5 top/bottom, but the glass is over 20lbs so be careful, plus it will not appear as well finished with out the glass and it will not be Wii prove
post #293 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

For what its worth Olevia said it is possible to remove the glass, about 10 screws 5 top/bottom, but the glass is over 20lbs so be careful, plus it will not appear as well finished with out the glass and it will not be Wii prove

I thought about removing the glass but im not sure that would help. Does anyone know if the antireflective coating is on the actual LCD screen or on the overlying glass.

If its on the overlying glass its not doing a very good job.

Perhaps if im feeling inspired ill test it out.
post #294 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I've taken the plunge and ordered a 747i from Lasertech. I was pleasantly surprised when they told me that they'd marked down the price over the last week, so even though I'm having to pay $240 to ship it to Oklahoma, it's still less than what I'd have paid at buy.com and they had some currently in stock, unlike buy.com. (It's also less than the Samsungs I was considering ) I'm so excited I can hardly wait!

BTW, one other newbie question...this is my first HD set, and I've seen various calibration DVD's mentioned. Is one better than another, and how or where do I get my hands on one? I hope this isn't too far off topic for this thread (especially as I'm only an owner-in-waiting as it were.) Thanks!
post #295 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BTW, one other newbie question...this is my first HD set, and I've seen various calibration DVD's mentioned. Is one better than another, and how or where do I get my hands on one? I hope this isn't too far off topic for this thread (especially as I'm only an owner-in-waiting as it were.) Thanks!

Do you have any of the new "Star Wars" movies on DVD? Or any THX certified DVD (like "Finding Nemo")? Some THX DVD's have a bare-bones series of tweaking options for video that should do the trick for somebody green at tweaking. More professional DVD's are available at retail (the Avia one gets the most mentions) but those discs are meant for the vast majority of HDTV's that come set-up from the factory with unnatural brightness and colorful settings. This is done so the sets will stand-out at a showroom and give an initial (but misleading) first impression out of the box. The 747i is already calibrated (natural settings and colors at the default 6500K temperature; neither too cartoony nor totally lifeless) and doesn't come in showroom setting. I'd wait until I see the picture (HD and SD) of the 747i out of the box. If you don't like it then start tweaking around with the TV's settings. Then and only then, if you don't like what you see, think about getting a calibrated disc.

Remember, part of what you're paying for with the 747i is the peace of mind of a TV that's already been calibrated. Watch it first, then start worrying about tweaking a minute after (or not).
post #296 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Every other HDTV on the market doesn't have the technology built-in to handle or smooth SD signals that this Olevia model has. None.

According to BFDTV, this Olevia and Runco have the same capability and they are both
on the market, unless I'm mistaken.
post #297 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, let me change my line to "every other AFFORDABLE HDTV on the market doesn't have the technology built-in to handle or smooth SD signals that this Olevia model has." Sorry, Runco's pricing is too astronomical for my fragile little mind to comprehend.
post #298 of 5077 Old 03-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

AFFORDABLE HDTV on the market

Ok, I guess I was nitpicking, although I suppose this Olevia is not affordable to some as well.
post #299 of 5077 Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I see LG has a 7 series 47" 5ms response time, do you think is related to the Olevia 7 series?
post #300 of 5077 Old 03-24-2007, 06:50 PM

Techaholic,

the 5 ms time is not what the spec sheet says. the 747i has an 8 ms panel response time.

(re)Pete
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page