~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5094 Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have of you ordered from or have experience with TechOnWeb.com?

I'm thinking of ordering the 747i from them but not sure if they are a reputable and/or authorized reseller...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5094 Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post

Well my 747 came in Tuesday from Lasertech, but I haven't been able to use it yet Long story about us living with family near our old house while new house is being finished, but to sum up: TV is still in its box at my brother's apt. until we close on our new house (which will be near where he lives) next Thursday. So I'll have my thoughts on the new TV for ya'll sometime next weekend. They should be installing Dish Network with an HD/DVR then, I just bought an Xbox 360 for the new TV, and will have an OTA antenna as well (Dish doesn't have our local HD channels yet in OKC), so we'll see how it goes... The waiting is killing me!!

This was posted last week SoonerFP, and its now Friday so the 747i should be up and running. No excuses dude, start sharin'.
post #363 of 5094 Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 PM

dad1153, knowing what you know today and given finite finances, what would you purchase, the Olevia 747i or the Sammy LN-T4665F, and why? Also, can anyone explain why the 747i weighs almost twice what the 4665F weighs (~132lbs vs, ~63lbs)? They are nearly identical in size and both have the glossy screen. Just wondering.

Bill
post #364 of 5094 Old 04-05-2007, 06:26 PM

Believe me, I'd love to sharesome pics but I haven't even seen my 747 out of the box myself. We just closed on the house today (Thursday) and won't be able to even move the TV into the new house until tomorrow when I get off work Sucky week of waiting! I won't even have the DSL up and running until my modem comes in from AT&T, but I promise pics by Monday when I get to work at the latest, hopefully sooner if the modem comes in before then.
post #365 of 5094 Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcope01 View Post

dad1153, knowing what you know today and given finite finances, what would you purchase, the Olevia 747i or the Sammy LN-T4665F, and why?

If I were to buy a new HDTV today I think I'd borrow money from friends/relatives and go with the 52" Sammy 5265 LCD (if its between panels of the same size then the 747i over the 4665F in a hearbeat). Samsung is a bigger company than Olevia and there are more people that own the new LCD's (versus the few of us that own the 747i); more people own an HDTV model = more collective discovery and sharing of opinions, defects, picture settings, etc. I paid a C-note shy of three grand for the 747i, and the 5265 sells for a few C-notes over $3K in most (reputable) online dealers. The glare/reflection on the glass of the new Sammy LCD's isn't an issue for me (lighting in a room can be controlled/altered by a person, something that can't be done with overscan, banding or clouds in the guts of the TV) but sometimes when I'm watching a 2:35:1 widescreen movie I find myself missing the extra five inches of a 52" HDTV to make my HD experience bigger than life. I've kept my 27" CRT. Theoreotically I could continue using that for SD material and use the 52" Sammy only for HD (reports of its SD handling are underwhelming), unlike my 747i which can handle both HD and SD extremely well.

Basically I'd trade the good SD handling of my 747i for the bigger real state of a 52" HD screen. But then I remember that I really need PIP for my many viewing needs and that the 5265's PIP features suck. That makes me again realize that I wouldn't trade my 747i for any other HDTV in the market... until I watch a movie in complete darkness and the light bleeding from the corners momentarily take me away from the movie/TV show. I'm satisfied with my 747i and intend to keep it for at least five or so years (or until it croaks, whichever comes first) but that doesn't mean I don't continue to second-guess and openly wonder whether I picked the right horse in this HDTV rollercoaster ride. Hope you guys don't read into my honest answer to bcope01's hypotethical questions about trading up to a 5265 Sammy (which I'm NOT doing; I'm firmly on the 747i bandwagon) a sign of betrayal or weakness. It's just that the perfect 1080p LCD doesn't exist and every set in the market offers compromises. The trade-offs I had to let go off when I got a 747i (a 52" screen, swivel stand, lighter weight, better contrast ratio) haven't magically disappeared from the back of my mind. Guess I should just quit coming back to AVS Forum, stay away from B&M TV sections and enjoy my damn TV. The 747i only looks/sounds less-than-perfect when I'm away from it reading about other HDTV's, not when I'm sitting in front of it drooling like a retarded snail bathing in its own wet stuff!

Why is the 747i so heavy? The glass is heavy, the speakers and the case are all in one piece (not separate elements). Basically you're paying for how robust and solid the whole package feels instead of the slightly-flimsy feel some HDTV's have (Mitsubishi and Vizio, I'm looking right at your 46" 1080p LCD's).
post #366 of 5094 Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 PM
sfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

... but sometimes when I'm watching a 2:35:1 widescreen movie I find myself missing the extra five inches of a 52" HDTV to make my HD experience bigger than life.

If it makes feel you any better, I think a 2.35:1 movie would only be less than two inches taller on a 52" as compared to a 47".

The other thing to consider in a comparison of Samsung to Olevia is that I think it will be a cold day in hell before Samsung will provide what will most certainly, someday, be a necessary firmware upgrade. I think of those Samsung 4095/96 and 4695/96 owners languishing for a 1:1 mode firmware update that will never come. Refreshingly, Olevia, based on their other sets, seems to readily provide firmware updates. This is the attitude companies will need to have since modern TVs are all software, and software is *never* bug-free. The Samsungs of the world haven't yet shown that they have shed the old-school, "appliance", mindset in this regard.
post #367 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 AM

Techaholic, I think you'll be very happy with your 970HD. I've been using one to feed my 747i and SD DVDs look fantastic.
post #368 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyB View Post

So the RealTA is a "real" improvement over the sub $1000 scalers out there? I'm new to this so I'm just trying to find the best solution. $3000 is a lot of money to me for a TV so I want to make sure it's spent in the correct manner. Extra cables and boxes don't bother me if I can get similar/better results going to separate components.

Realta HQV is the best on the market, hands down. If you need superior upscaling I think it's worth the investment. Check out some of the photos throughout the thread of SD material on the 747i. I watch SD content almost exclusively and it couldn't be a more pleasant experience on the 747i.
post #369 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 AM

I know this is really off topic, but I can't find a thread for this elsewhere and figure you guys would know: If I want to connect my xbox 360 to my wireless network & the internet, do I really have to buy the "xbox 360" wireless internet adapter or can I use the one I already have (Linksys)?
post #370 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:

If I were to buy a new HDTV today I think I'd borrow money from friends/relatives and go with the 52" Sammy 5265 LCD (if its between panels of the same size then the 747i over the 4665F in a hearbeat). Samsung is a bigger company than Olevia and there are more people that own the new LCD's (versus the few of us that own the 747i); more people own an HDTV model = more collective discovery and sharing of opinions, defects, picture settings, etc. I paid a C-note shy of three grand for the 747i, and the 5265 sells for a few C-notes over $3K in most (reputable) online dealers. The glare/reflection on the glass of the new Sammy LCD's isn't an issue for me (lighting in a room can be controlled/altered by a person, something that can't be done with overscan, banding or clouds in the guts of the TV) but sometimes when I'm watching a 2:35:1 widescreen movie I find myself missing the extra five inches of a 52" HDTV to make my HD experience bigger than life. I've kept my 27" CRT. Theoreotically I could continue using that for SD material and use the 52" Sammy only for HD (reports of its SD handling are underwhelming), unlike my 747i which can handle both HD and SD extremely well.

Basically I'd trade the good SD handling of my 747i for the bigger real state of a 52" HD screen. But then I remember that I really need PIP for my many viewing needs and that the 5265's PIP features suck. That makes me again realize that I wouldn't trade my 747i for any other HDTV in the market... until I watch a movie in complete darkness and the light bleeding from the corners momentarily take me away from the movie/TV show. I'm satisfied with my 747i and intend to keep it for at least five or so years (or until it croaks, whichever comes first) but that doesn't mean I don't continue to second-guess and openly wonder whether I picked the right horse in this HDTV rollercoaster ride. Hope you guys don't read into my honest answer to bcope01's hypotethical questions about trading up to a 5265 Sammy (which I'm NOT doing; I'm firmly on the 747i bandwagon) a sign of betrayal or weakness. It's just that the perfect 1080p LCD doesn't exist and every set in the market offers compromises. The trade-offs I had to let go off when I got a 747i (a 52" screen, swivel stand, lighter weight, better contrast ratio) haven't magically disappeared from the back of my mind. Guess I should just quit coming back to AVS Forum, stay away from B&M TV sections and enjoy my damn TV. The 747i only looks/sounds less-than-perfect when I'm away from it reading about other HDTV's, not when I'm sitting in front of it drooling like a retarded snail bathing in its own wet stuff!

Why is the 747i so heavy? The glass is heavy, the speakers and the case are all in one piece (not separate elements). Basically you're paying for how robust and solid the whole package feels instead of the slightly-flimsy feel some HDTV's have (Mitsubishi and Vizio, I'm looking right at your 46" 1080p LCD's).

Dad, thanks for the timely and detailed response pointing out the positives (and negatives) of each. I'd probably jump on the 5265, but the DW isn't gonna let anything into the house to replace the 32" Sony crt unless it displays SP well. And with all of it's performance advantages, I feel the smaller real estate of the 747i would leave me wishing I had bought something bigger. Why can't this be simpler?
post #371 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Run a network cable from the back of you xbox to the Linksys (cat5 wire) it's work fine that way without the wireless adapter.
post #372 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty-pa View Post

Run a network cable from the back of you xbox to the Linksys (cat5 wire) it's work fine that way without the wireless adapter.

Unfortunately, my router/modem is in the other room, and I wasn't planning on running network cables around my house. Also wasn't planning on trying to make holes in the walls of my brand new house (this soon anyway) to run cable through the walls, so I may have to cough up the extra cash for the xbox adapter if my old Linksys adapters won't work.
post #373 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Unfortunately, my router/modem is in the other room, and I wasn't planning on running network cables around my house. Also wasn't planning on trying to make holes in the walls of my brand new house (this soon anyway) to run cable through the walls, so I may have to cough up the extra cash for the xbox adapter if my old Linksys adapters won't work.

Don't know how much the x-box adapter costs, but you can always buy a cheap wireless hub and plug the xbox into it. Use that to connect to the other Linksys.
post #374 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfadams View Post

Don't know how much the x-box adapter costs, but you can always buy a cheap wireless hub and plug the xbox into it. Use that to connect to the other Linksys.

Xbox adapter is $99, which seemed excessive to me. Now if I can find a wireless hub cheaper than that, then that may be a good plan. Thanks!
post #375 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Xbox adapter is $99, which seemed excessive to me. Now if I can find a wireless hub cheaper than that, then that may be a good plan. Thanks!

GOOGLE this ... logitech playlink or ebay it, they can be had for real cheap and work great, altough a wired connection works the best.
post #376 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonoe View Post

I'm thinking of ordering the 747i from them but not sure if they are a reputable and/or authorized reseller...

I've never ordered from them but online reviews are mostly positive.

http://www0.epinions.com/pr-Online_S...splay_~reviews

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--18745.html

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Techonweb

but like any online experience.....your mileage may vary.

Looks like they have the best price on 747i!
post #377 of 5094 Old 04-06-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For $2,5XX I'd say its a great deal. Buyer beware though, if the deal looks too good to be true...
post #378 of 5094 Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonoe View Post

leonoe, did you ever order from this site? If so, what was your experience?
post #379 of 5094 Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Have any of you owners of the 747i watched hockey on it? I just want to be sure it doesn't have problems with hockey broadcasts (the speed of the puck and action, etc.). I would be using mine to watch a LOT of standard definiton, and some high def (when available) hockey. This aspect is extremely important to me. Thanks.

John
post #380 of 5094 Old 04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

Have any of you owners of the 747i watched hockey on it? I just want to be sure it doesn't have problems with hockey broadcasts (the speed of the puck and action, etc.). I would be using mine to watch a LOT of standard definiton, and some high def (when available) hockey. This aspect is extremely important to me. Thanks.

I've watched about ten minutes total of NHL on the HD channels (not my favorite sport) and didn't see anything that stood out as being bad or attention-getting. No frames dropped, multiple puck trails or anything bad. You want to hear from someone that's a diehard hockey nut though, but to my untrained eye NHL looked as good as any other sport in HD I've seen. As for SD, well you should know by now that this set excels in this area above any other LCD 1080p HDTV in the market.
post #381 of 5094 Old 04-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:

As for SD, well you should know by now that this set excels in this area above any other LCD 1080p HDTV in the market.

Sure wish they produced a 52 in. or 57 in.
post #382 of 5094 Old 04-07-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I went to a Denon presentation at a CT hotel and they were using a 747i for their monitor. They compared their DVD-3930CI at 1080p to a PS3 using the same movie. The PS3 was slightly better but not by much. What was more interesting to me, however, was a comparison of the image using the 480i HDMI output setting vs the 1080p output from this DVD player. Both the Denon Player and the 747i use the Realta processor, but the picture looked better when the processing was done in the player rather than by the TV. I guess Denon's implementation is better than that of the 747i.
post #383 of 5094 Old 04-07-2007, 06:52 PM
T2k

You're comparing a $1,500 upconverting DVD player to a $2,500 TV/upconverter - that's hardly a comparison, let alone we don't know what was the source... a progressive 480p outputted in 480i could be screwedso badly that Olevia can't do any voodoo but when a 480p is outputted in 1080p that's a farily simply scaling, way easier than deint+scaling, let alone possible framerate conversion...
post #384 of 5094 Old 04-07-2007, 06:52 PM
T2k

Oh and let's not forget the horrible Denon customer service vs Olevia's in-home service...
post #385 of 5094 Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

You're comparing a $1,500 upconverting DVD player to a $2,500 TV/upconverter - that's hardly a comparison, let alone we don't know what was the source... a progressive 480p outputted in 480i could be screwedso badly that Olevia can't do any voodoo but when a 480p is outputted in 1080p that's a farily simply scaling, way easier than deint+scaling, let alone possible framerate conversion...

The comparison was of the same Silicon Optics Realta chip set...one in the player, the other in the TV. 480i is passed through to the Realta in the TV where it is upconverted to 1080p. When the 480i is upconverted to 1080p in the DVD-3930CI and then fed to the TV, the picture was better. I'm not dumping on the 747i. It makes a great picture. I'm just observing that the implementation of the Realta processing seems to be better in the Denon DVD player. There would be no point in having the player output 480p for the purpose of comparing the two processors relative performance.
post #386 of 5094 Old 04-08-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:

leonoe, did you ever order from this site? If so, what was your experience?

Haven't pulled the trigger yet... the store seems to have some pretty good reviews.
post #387 of 5094 Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM

NYer here looking to see this model in person.....anyone know what stores have it so I can see it live before I order it? I was originally thinking of the 52 xbr3 but have heard of all the clouding issues. Now I'm thinking of the Pro fhd1 but it might be out of my price range if I go with an authorized dealer so now I'm thinking of the 747i.
post #388 of 5094 Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey I build a softmod Xbox XBMC, it ROCKS.... and when my friend came to view it streaming 480i mpg movies of off my HP media vault his jaw dropped at how good the 747i handels this content, it's a winner in my book.
post #389 of 5094 Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM

I finally got to break out the TV and set it up this weekend, and for starters, I am amazed! For my first time to see the 747 in live action, I had no idea what to expect, but I've been extremely happy with my purchase. In addition, my xbox 360 arrived the same day, so this was definitely a weekend to remember! Anyway, on to some setup details:

I'm running my Dish Network HD-DVR on component for now while awaiting an HDMI cable from monoprice.com (GREAT price, btw). I'm also running the 360 with a VGA cable. I got an indoor amplified OTA antenna, but couldn't get any hi-def channels for some reason (I only live like 5 miles from the OKC stations' antennas.. planing to return the antenna to try a stronger one). Right out of the box, the picture looked excellent on the HD channels and very nice on the SD channels as well. While the difference is noticeable, it's not distracting at all to my somewhat untrained eye. THE HD channels sparkle, however, as does both games and SD movies on the Xbox 360.

As for glare, it's not even noticeable with the blinds drawn in the living room windows, and while the image is a little "lighter" from the side where our loveseat is, sitting anywhere on the sofa (directly in front of the TV) gives a great view, and my family thought the view from the loveseat was fine as well (though I noticed the difference).

I did notice that on the VGA input, the side edges were really bright, especially with dark screens, like the beginning of Lego Star Wars II, but didn't notice much the rest of the time. It looks a little better after running the THX optimizer on Star Wars, Episode II and adjusting the contrast and brightness some. I have not seen any "eggs" yet, that I noticed anyway. It is mildly annoying to have to cycle through all the sources to go between VGA and Component 1, but I can live with it. I also wish the Dish remote would control the 747 volume, etc, but there's no code that worked per the Dish guy, and the code to program the 747 remote to control the DISH HD-DVR didn't work, and neither of them would control the 360, so I'm still juggling 2 remotes and a 360 controller for now.

I did get some screen pics, but I just realized when I tried to upload them that they're too big, so I'll have to do decrease the resolution on them and bring them back to work tomorrow (still don't have the DSL modem at home...grrr). I also tried to just use the insert image button, but didn't know what to put in the script prompt (sorry i'm such a newbie at html and forum stuff), so any help there would be appreciated as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to share the pics tomorrow!
post #390 of 5094 Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome to the club SoonerFP. It's puzzling that the antenna you got didn't yield HD stations right away. Even a cheap $10 antenna with a coax connection to the back of your TV (where there are two inputs) should yield something. Also you didn't share what shows/movies/games you enjoyed on your 360 over the weekend. Any show/movie/game standout as a 'WOW' moment with the 747i so far? Have you tweaked much with the default settings or are you keeping them close? Any messing with the wheel interface and/or PIP options (two pics simultaneously)?

For pictures you can try opening an account with www.photobucket.com (or similar services like imageshack) and then transfer pics from your laptop/PC drive straight to the website one pic at a time using photobucket's easy-to-follow steps. Give it a shot!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page