Forum Jump: 

post #4441 of 5080 Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud2 View Post

Have you changed anything in the service menu other than the HQV Codec Noise Reduction option? Changing things in the service menu can really throw a set out of whack.

The only other setting I've changed is moving the dark room backlight level to 0%. That actually helped mask some of the ugliness on the SD cable source and makes black and white movies look better.

I should also mention that the DVD source looks much better than the SD cable as you'd probably expect, even at 480i. Ghosting on DVDs is most apparent at the player's menu or disc menus. I'll also say that the 1080p sources look great. Still, it'd be nice if I could get the SD sources looking a lot better.

One idea I had was maybe a firmware rollback. I figure it's worth a shot if possible. Getting the bins would be half the battle as I don't know of a place that hosts older versions. If there's a variance in quality of the sets, or just plain variance, maybe the set would rather deal with a different version.

Occasionally the titles in the upper-right hand corner that list the source has the text turn green and the blue border sometimes loses a corner, so the firmware being a bit buggy isn't completely new to me.

Also, when my set is given a 480i/p source, the image is a bit wider than when my DVD player does the upconverting or an OTA station puts upconverted SD content on their HD feeds. Does that sound right to anybody else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 5080 Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 169
rotoscope, my 747i only stutters on the crawls of some channels and not others. "Today" on NBC stutters but "Sports Center" on ESPN doesn't. I've had my HDTV since March on '07 and have watched hundreds of DVD's, high-def media and TV/movie shows. I've never seen anything even remotely resembling 'ghosting' but I've never actually bothered to activate 'Game Mode' when watching an actual DVD. I only turn 'GM' on when, duh, playing a videogame. Next time I watch a DVD I'll follow your advice and turn 'GM' on to see if it changes/improves anything but, unlike you, I haven't upgraded my set's OS from what it originally was. I also haven't gone into the Service Menu to tweak anything, so maybe your experience needs (a) a newer model of 747i, (b) a trip to the Service Menu, (c) an OS upgrade and (d) 'Game Mode' on to see the improvements that you perceive on 480i 'ghosting.'

As long as you're getting the most bang for your HDTV bucks with the 747i that's all that counts. The 'eggs' go away after a few days/weeks of regular use; we all had them, we all saw them vanish after repeated use. It's no heresy to talk bad about the HQV Realta on a 747i thread, we welcome anything that will help us get the most out of our investment. Even with the 'banding' the 747i still puts out a 'purty' high-def picture (and a good-enough SD signal) that doesn't scream 'dump/trade/upgrade me.' It's the equivalent of a long-married wife: not as good a looker as when you first met but still nice to be with (sometimes downright cozy) and, in her own way, one damn sexy beast.
post #4443 of 5080 Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

rotoscope, my 747i only stutters on the crawls of some channels and not others. "Today" on NBC stutters but "Sports Center" on ESPN doesn't. I've had my HDTV since March on '07 and have watched hundreds of DVD's, high-def media and TV/movie shows. I've never seen anything even remotely resembling 'ghosting' but I've never actually bothered to activate 'Game Mode' when watching an actual DVD. I only turn 'GM' on when, duh, playing a videogame. Next time I watch a DVD I'll follow your advice and turn 'GM' on to see if it changes/improves anything but, unlike you, I haven't upgraded my set's OS from what it originally was. I also haven't gone into the Service Menu to tweak anything, so maybe your experience needs (a) a newer model of 747i, (b) a trip to the Service Menu, (c) an OS upgrade and (d) 'Game Mode' on to see the improvements that you perceive on 480i 'ghosting.'

As long as you're getting the most bang for your HDTV bucks with the 747i that's all that counts. The 'eggs' go away after a few days/weeks of regular use; we all had them, we all saw them vanish after repeated use. It's no heresy to talk bad about the HQV Realta on a 747i thread, we welcome anything that will help us get the most out of our investment. Even with the 'banding' the 747i still puts out a 'purty' high-def picture (and a good-enough SD signal) that doesn't scream 'dump/trade/upgrade me.' It's the equivalent of a long-married wife: not as good a looker as when you first met but still nice to be with (sometimes downright cozy) and, in her own way, one damn sexy beast.

I totally agree with DAD1153, rotoscope. I've had my set a little over a year now and even though it has it's minor quirks, still hard to see a reason why this isn't the best bang-for-your-HDTV-buck out there.

I do also, as I'm sure we ALL do appreciate you voicing your opinion on ANY feature that you might not be happy with. That is the whole idea of a "FORUM". Public or not. So thanks for any and ALL feedback relating to the functions of the 747i.

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #4444 of 5080 Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...It's no heresy to talk bad about the HQV Realta on a 747i thread, we welcome anything that will help us get the most out of our investment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

....I do also, as I'm sure we ALL do appreciate you voicing your opinion on ANY feature that you might not be happy with. That is the whole idea of a "FORUM"...

I couldn't agree more, I've seen many instances in the past where airing a problem on this forum has gotten the response "Yeah, I had that problem, all you have to do is....." It's great, love this forum, has really added to my enjoyment of this set.
post #4445 of 5080 Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 AM

Recently, my 747i has been acting up with my computer.
I use the HDMI-1 port with the rca inpouts for sound, and over the last 3 weeks, several times after having had the computer asleep, and waking it up, the remote would not turn on the TV. We had had a power outage, so I was worried the power conditioner didn't do it's job, but I then switched it off from the button below the right of the screen, and it turned on with the typical white olevia screen and worked fine for several more weeks. Maybe the remote doesn'/t reset some internal setting like the power button on the actual TV does? Anyways, it has worked fine until today.

Today, same thing where it wouldn't turn on from the remote, but then it even wouldn't turn on after many times on and off from the front panel power button. I then unplugged in from my Monster Pro-3500 power center, replugged it, and still nothing, about 4 more cycles on and off, this time from the remote, it went on and gave me the white Olevia screen and is working fine right now.

My question is, what is causing this?
Has anyone else experienced this?
I only use the Olevia as a Computer monitor.
Is it some sort of hard reset?
ANd can I instead opt for having the Olevia go to sleep in step with the computer, without using the VGA input?

Thanks for any ideas or answers.
post #4446 of 5080 Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 PM

I have my olevia 747i inputs as follows:

-dish network receiver connected on component 1
-ps3 hdmi to a/v receiver and then to olevia's hdmi 1

I am able to watch the dish programs on component 1. However, if i switch to hdmi 1 to play some ps3 games and then switch back to component 1 to watch tv, it says "no signal". if i switch the tv off and then switch it back on after some time (20 mins) then component 1 works correctly.

I verified that this is not a problem in the dish receiver - as the program is visible on another input like composite 1.

any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks.
post #4447 of 5080 Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

...over the last 3 weeks, .... the remote would not turn on the TV. ...can I instead opt for having the Olevia go to sleep in step with the computer, without using the VGA input?

Thats a tough one. Until you said that you had trouble turning it on from the button on the set I thought it might be the batteries in the remote, have you changed them lately? You could try disconnecting the VGA next time it happens to see if it will turn on with just HDMI connected but I don't see why it would make a difference. I don't know if their is any option to have the set go to sleep like a monitor when your computer shuts down though. There may be in the service menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadish View Post

... if i switch to hdmi 1 to play some ps3 games and then switch back to component 1 to watch tv, it says "no signal".

Sound like a sync issue. Maybe you could see if it does it if you connect through component 2.

Not much help, sorry
post #4448 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone took a decent/good flashlight (up close) to the glass panel of the 747i?

I was attempting to clean the glass panel with the appropriate cleaning solution (regular Windex and a lint free paper towel) and kept noticing streaks upon the glass and no matter how many times I went over the same spot, the streaks would not disappear.

Upon further inspection, I took the flashlight up close to it and noticed that the streaks that I SAW were indeed on the INSIDE of the glass.

What the deuce? I have never removed the glass so it must of been done during the manufacturing process and you can CLEARLY see fingerprints. Anyone have any success removing the heavy ass front glass panel to clean the INSIDE of the glass? Sitting at the normal TV viewing position it's not noticeable unless you are focusing on trying to see minor imperfections but still and all, I just went to clean the glass and was disappointed to find ANY smudges on the inside of the glass.

Sofa King Bananas

post #4449 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...on the INSIDE of the glass.
...you can CLEARLY see fingerprints. ...

I have too many fingerprints on the outside of my glass to tell if their are any on the inside. Damn, now you made me have to clean my screen
post #4450 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

I'll be damned if your not right. I got em too. Never noticed before . Aint that a ****. Over a year and I never noticed I have Chinese fingerprints inside my TV.

PS; I've been using this new cleaner I found at Walfart, Windex Auto- Ammonia Free for tinted windows, it works great. I feel safe using it because if it won't damage tint it seems pretty safe. It doesn't streak, once over and your good.
post #4451 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll be damned if your not right. I got em too. Never noticed before . Aint that a ****. Over a year and I never noticed I have Chinese fingerprints inside my TV.

PS; I've been using this new cleaner I found at Walfart, Windex Auto- Ammonia Free for tinted windows, it works great. I feel safe using it because if it won't damage tint it seems pretty safe. It doesn't streak, once over and your good.

Windows Auto-Ammonia Free huh? I'll look for it. No Walfart here in NYC so maybe an auto store might have it or maybe a Target. Also, what kind of lint free paper are you using to clean the screen with? Someone told me to use a newspaper which will prob work too. I think I'm done using the paper towels, lint free or not.

Sofa King Bananas

post #4452 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Does anyone know where I can find a main board for the Olevia 747i? I had a power surge and the side inputs are gone (HDMI, VGA, Component -- all others work fine).

I spoke with Amergence, Inc. that has taken over tech support after the Ch. 11 filling and they told me they no longer sell parts directly... (of course, the company no longer sells parts either...)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thx
post #4453 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...No Walfart here in NYC...

I'm amazed that their are no Walfarts in NYC! There on every corner everywhere else (right next to the Starbutt's)

I use those one of those microfiber towels.
post #4454 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by toustab View Post

Does anyone know where I can find a main board for the Olevia 747i? I had a power surge and the side inputs are gone (HDMI, VGA, Component -- all others work fine).

I spoke with Amergence, Inc. that has taken over tech support after the Ch. 11 filling and they told me they no longer sell parts directly... (of course, the company no longer sells parts either...)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thx

Did you purchase with a credit card (amex, mc, visa)? If so your cc purchase may have an addition 1 year coverage. I suggest checking with your credit card company.
post #4455 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm amazed that their are Walfarts in NYC! There on every corner everywhere else (right next to the Starbutt's)

Did the towel catch fire when you rubbed it against the 747i glass?
post #4456 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm amazed that their are Walfarts in NYC! There on every corner everywhere else (right next to the Starbutt's)

Starbutt's, we have PLENTY. Walfarts, I have not seen one yet, thank God.

Sofa King Bananas

post #4457 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 PM

well friends, it's a sad day. i found out a few days ago that i won't be able to get a moving truck... they are insanely expensive... so the 747i has to go since there's just no space for it in my matrix. luckily i was able to sell it for 900 and the buyer is picking it up in two weeks

Pioneer PDP-6020FD E-lite
post #4458 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Seriously though, congrats on getting $900 on an outdated HDTV model from a bankrupt company. Use the money wisely and get yourself a good HDTV replacement.
post #4459 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrandstrongr1 View Post

well friends, it's a sad day. i found out a few days ago that i won't be able to get a moving truck... they are insanely expensive... so the 747i has to go since there's just no space for it in my matrix. luckily i was able to sell it for 900 and the buyer is picking it up in two weeks

Must have been kind of like losing a loved one.....uh, one that was flat and shiny and stuck to the wall.

Quote:

Seriously though, congrats on getting $900 on an outdated HDTV model from a bankrupt company. Use the money wisely and get yourself a good HDTV replacement.

I haven't been following developements in HDTV since I bought this, what would you look for?
post #4460 of 5080 Old 05-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:

im watching the nba playoffs now and i will be very sad the first time i take a look at my new tv and realize the olevia logo isn't there. this thing performed like a champ!

Quote:

Must have been kind of like losing a loved one.....uh, one that was flat and shiny and stuck to the wall.

Well i still have 2 more weeks But then the pain really begins

Quote:

I haven't been following developements in HDTV since I bought this, what would you look for?

I would like to know this too... there are sooo many models out there.

post #4461 of 5080 Old 05-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjevans View Post

Just a few days ago, my Olevia 747I would loose the HDMI signal, and the screen goes black. If I turn the set off for a few minutes, turn it back on, it work for a few additional minutes, then it looses the signal again.

This set is less than a year old. What's up with the company, or do I chalk it up as a poor investment and forget it?

HELP!

First off, I was in the same boat as sjevans. My unit behaved the same way even after switching multiples HDMI cables. It was very frustrating that I have to power off and then on again, sometimes 2 to 4 times, to have the signal remains. This was on going for about the last 6 weeks and now I get no signals at all. If I turn the unit on now the unit will either flashed "Olevia" logo then power off or just stay off. Mine has the latest firmware and it's almost 2 years new. Can I salvage this somehow? I'm crying now.
post #4462 of 5080 Old 05-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuantocdo View Post

HELP!

First off, I was in the same boat as sjevans.......now I get no signals at all. If I turn the unit on now the unit will either flashed "Olevia" logo then power off or just stay off. Mine has the latest firmware and it's almost 2 years new. Can I salvage this somehow? I'm crying now.

Do you have components hooked up through other inputs (Component, etc...), are they working? If not, try other inputs or another HDMI device to see if it's the device or the set.
post #4463 of 5080 Old 05-10-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Do you have components hooked up through other inputs (Component, etc...), are they working? If not, try other inputs or another HDMI device to see if it's the device or the set.

Yes, I do have a Wii connected to it, but it's no longer an inputs issue because the set will not stay on. Again whenever I powered up the Olevia, you would hear a click, the set will either flashed its logo and then go black or just does nothing.
post #4464 of 5080 Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

I miss the old days when you could bring any set down to the neighborhood TV repairman. Even if someone was knowledgeable enough to fix this set, there are no parts out there. We should sets up a thread for people who's sets are bricked to post parts for this set.
post #4465 of 5080 Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadish View Post

I have my olevia 747i inputs as follows:

-dish network receiver connected on component 1
-ps3 hdmi to a/v receiver and then to olevia's hdmi 1

I am able to watch the dish programs on component 1. However, if i switch to hdmi 1 to play some ps3 games and then switch back to component 1 to watch tv, it says "no signal". if i switch the tv off and then switch it back on after some time (20 mins) then component 1 works correctly.

I verified that this is not a problem in the dish receiver - as the program is visible on another input like composite 1.

any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks.

I have exactly the same issue, using a Logitech Harmony 520 (maybe? 500-series, anyway) to control the inputs.

Going through manually with the "source" input works fine for me, but for whatever reason when I jump directly to Component 1 from HDMI 1 it doesn't work.

Are you using a Logitech?
post #4466 of 5080 Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You have a 747i and haven't posted before on this thread Nicotine? Shame on you!
post #4467 of 5080 Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM

so the 747i is gone and the next owner is hopefully enjoying it... kinda sad, but kinda excited about getting a new set. i've preliminarily narrowed it down to the new LED-lit 55" vizio or the panny 50" g10 plasma

post #4468 of 5080 Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

I read that those led lit set have great contrast. Have you seen one in operation? If I go for another set it's definitely going to be at least 55"
post #4469 of 5080 Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:

I read that those led lit set have great contrast. Have you seen one in operation? If I go for another set it's definitely going to be at least 55"

havent seen one yet. the edge-lit samsungs seem really bad for the price, but im hoping the local-dimming LED from vizio - at under 2k (!!!!!) - will be an improvement. i'll definitely wait for some reviews before getting one... just wish they'd be released sooner!

post #4470 of 5080 Old 05-19-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrandstrongr1 View Post

so the 747i is gone and the next owner is hopefully enjoying it...

Wait until he finds out reading online that you took off the glass off the set for your patio door and that he has a lightweight but exposed 747i set!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page