~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 5094 Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes,You are most likely correct about the master switch.The backlight and power on timers would have the same hours if they counted with the tv turned on.Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 5094 Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The move with the 747 went well. The set sat lower when I put it back on the stand since I removed the speakers so I had to cut the foam a little to make it snug. All the packaging work the same as it did from the factory. I broke the box down flat for storage when I first got the set so I just taped it back up and it worked great. Hold on to that packaging.
post #4683 of 5094 Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud2 View Post

The move with the 747 went well. The set sat lower when I put it back on the stand since I removed the speakers so I had to cut the foam a little to make it snug. All the packaging work the same as it did from the factory. I broke the box down flat for storage when I first got the set so I just taped it back up and it worked great. Hold on to that packaging.

Man, I wish I could have kept my packaging. I live in an apartment with limited space, ESPECIALLY for a box of that size. I have 2 bedrooms but they have furniture and such in it. Oh well, hopefully I will never need it to move.

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #4684 of 5094 Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody in Seattle needs to borrow the packaging for a move PM me.
post #4685 of 5094 Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 AM

Well, finally pulled the trigger yesterday and bought my replacement set (747i died on me and was covered under visa extended purchase protection). Jumped on the Sammy 52B630. Ended up getting it with a free Sammy blueray player for around 1300 to my house. figure I call sell the player for around 100 on ebay so ~$1200 overall... Not too shabby.
post #4686 of 5094 Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskuse View Post

Well, finally pulled the trigger yesterday and bought my replacement set (747i died on me and was covered under visa extended purchase protection). Jumped on the Sammy 52B630. Ended up getting it with a free Sammy blueray player for around 1300 to my house. figure I call sell the player for around 100 on ebay so ~$1200 overall... Not too shabby.

I'm just curious, did they let you keep the 747i? Mine is in getting repaired (maybe) and if they can't fix it, would be interested in knowing how Visa deals with that possibility.

BTW, is the Sammy as good as the Olevia? May need to buy another one myself...

Thanks,
Jimmy
post #4687 of 5094 Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 AM

Yea, they let me keep it.. not much good though with a big red line down the side...

As far as the sammy, won't know till tomorrow night (at least thats when it's scheduled to arrive)!!
post #4688 of 5094 Old 12-12-2009, 02:35 PM

I wonder if anyone can help me on this. I set my aspect to 1:1 for my bluray player. Why is the picture not filling the whole screen ? The player is set to 1080P, the TV is 1080P , so why doesnt it fill the screen ?

Thanks.
post #4689 of 5094 Old 12-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phussey View Post

I wonder if anyone can help me on this. I set my aspect to 1:1 for my bluray player. Why is the picture not filling the whole screen ? The player is set to 1080P, the TV is 1080P , so why doesnt it fill the screen ?

Thanks.

Although this isn't the correct thread for this question I will attempt to answer it. The aspect ratio on MOST BluRays are 2:35:1. What you are getting is an EXACT 1:1 image from the disc. With the exception of a few movies like Baraka and certain scenes from The Dark Knight, what you are seeing is normal. You can always buy the 2.33:1 HDTV from Philips to counter the problem. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/01/philips-extra-w/

Sofa King Bananas

post #4690 of 5094 Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 AM

I just purchased this tv a few weeks ago through someone who had lost his job, and I got it home, hooked it up to Charter HD, using HD cables, and there is REALLY BAD banding going on... if you are standing about 25' away looks OKAY.... but still see it in the NOT FOCUSED on items??? PLEASE HELP, is it a setting? If so, how do I fix it... the reviews online, and on here as well, all say the picture should be REALLY crisp... and it is not (with the banding)???

FYI: Banding is where gradients show the different edges/layers of the colors, like i.e... in someone's face, cheek bones to chin there are green/multicolor banded dots (if you will) and all bkgrds (green dots) are TERRIBLE????

post #4691 of 5094 Old 12-17-2009, 07:14 PM

Have been a extremely happy owner of a 747i That I picked up in June of 2008, thankfully on a MasterCard that doubles the manufacturers warranty. Unfortunately, I think I am now going to discover how good the MasterCard warranty is.

Here is my problem and I wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue and I'll explain my setup:
1) I have an old Bell ExpressVU 2700(Dishnet Clone) satellite receiver connected with vga cables and also via the coaxial cable.
2) Nintendo Wii via vga
3) Phillips upconverting DVD player via HDMI

My problem is that I'm now getting a large black square appearing in the middle of my screen whenever I try and watch satellite TV. I have changed vga cables, and tried different inputs and the square always returns after I switch channels and the show becomes unwatchable. If I change channels the square disappears for 1 sec or 2 then returns. All other devices that are connected to the TV will not replicate the black square. My old sat receiver outputs VGA, S-video and coaxial. I will have to purchase a s-video cable to see if I can get away from the black square but the other two feeds give me the same black square on the Olevia. I even hauled down my old 27" Sony and plugged the ExpressVu receiver into it hoping it was my old sat receiver. There is no black square on the Sony but the Olevia was showing it.

Note that nothing had knowingly changed in my setup. The Olevia and all the equipment is connected to a good surge protector. This black square just keeps popping up in the middle of the screen and I've looked into the possibility that it is a PIP activation but it is not.

Any suggestions who be appreciated. I've shut down my TV for the night but I'll post my firmware version if anyone thinks that may be the issue tomorrow.

Hate to lose this TV because I loved the features and picture quality but the big black square needs to go and I'm looking to solve this before my extended warranty runs out.

Thanks.
post #4692 of 5094 Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmokes1970 View Post

....I'm now getting a large black square appearing in the middle of my screen whenever I try and watch satellite TV.....

I would guess that if it only effects the Satellite feed it's an issue with the Satellite TV system and not the set. Try another device on the input you currently have the Satellite hooked up to, if it doesn't exhibit the same behavior then it's probably the Sat system. Call your Satellite Provider and have a troubleshooting session with them. If that doesn't work have them swap out the Satellite box.
post #4693 of 5094 Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

...You can always buy the 2.33:1 HDTV from Philips to counter the problem. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/01/philips-extra-w/

That is one of the best looking (if not THE best looking) sets I've seen. 2.33:1 would look amazing on that set. No more screwing an anamorphic lens onto your projector to get 2.33:1.
post #4694 of 5094 Old 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Someone on eBay is selling 10 sets for $520 each and $200 shipping (or $50 local pickup in Southern CA). I've emailed the seller to ask him/her for details on the condition description: "Open Box, New Condition". I may pick up one or two of these if they have very low hours and the buyer will let me inspect them. Search for "Olevia 747i" on eBay to see the 2 listings.
post #4695 of 5094 Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saidiadude View Post

Someone on eBay is selling 10 sets for $520 each and $200 shipping (or $50 local pickup in Southern CA). I've emailed the seller to ask him/her for details on the condition description: "Open Box, New Condition". I may pick up one or two of these if they have very low hours and the buyer will let me inspect them. Search for "Olevia 747i" on eBay to see the 2 listings.

You should be able to get ~8% cash back from bing.com (search for Olevia 747i on bing and click on the ebay hyperlink in the right column next to the bottom.)

Here is a link to the fine print from ebay.

http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html

(Must use PayPal, Must be Buy It Now, Freight is NOT included, etc. etc.)

Also, the percentage changes. I believe it has been as high as 20% recently.
post #4696 of 5094 Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:

If you pick up the set(s) I would bet you will have to pay CA sales tax and the infamous recycling fee.

As far as shipping, I believe they quote UPS ground ... Personally I would not trust UPS to handle anything this heavy, and this sensitive.
post #4697 of 5094 Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Someone on eBay is selling 10 sets for $520 each and $200 shipping .....

Saidiadude, I don't know if you remember, but I do, you were the one that posted the alert about the 747i for "under a grand at Tigerdirect" back in june of 08. You saved me a bit of cash, Thanks Dude! Still findin those deals, huh?

Looks like a great deal if your willing to go it on your own like the rest of us. You can't believe they are honest when they list these in their bullets:
"OleviaCare™ — live, in-house technical and customer support personnel assure a total quality experience — every time."
"Firmware upgradeable via USB — the latest software updates and quality improvements available from the Olevia website, easily uploadable to your TV through its USB port. "

Yeah, "OleviaCare™". If it wasn't for AVSforum there wouldn't be ANY Olevia support and if your lucky you may be able to find someone generous enough to supply you with the USB update image here. Good luck with "the Olevia website".

But good lookin out Sadiadude, to be honest, if my set died today I would definately be looking closely at a $720 747i, even with the shady source.
post #4698 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Fancy listings that fail to mention that Olevia is out of busniess and that manuf. warranty and support are nowhere to be found.

I won't be buying in again. I love my problem free 747i, but there's just no way I'd be willing to throw more $$ into it and attempt my own repairs if it were to malfunction. Even when Olevia was in business, the local pros I asked all told me the same thing. "It's a great set, but I can't get parts from them if it breaks".
post #4699 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Thud2, glad you got a great deal on the 747i from Microcenter. Unfortunately they were out of them in Southern CA when I finally had a chance to get to the store. They had one set that was the display model but it had many hours on it. Twolff, as for taking the risk with the lack of service/parts, the low price is finally at a reasonable enough level where the trade-off seems acceptable. Also, the seller seems to be reputable enough as he/she seems to have sold lots of stuff and has pretty good feedback. Too bad about the false advertising regarding support from the Manufacturer (OleviaCare™). The main reason for getting this set is that my folks watch International channels on Dish. Sadly the content on these channels is only broadcast in SD and sometimes uses a very poor capture device, etc. I'm hoping that they will be able to get a reasonable picture with the 747i vs the newer sets. They'll also watch HD channels, but less than 50% of the time. Hdtv4xmas - I'm not too happy about paying the tax and recycling fee but the Bing CB should offset it somewhat. I'm going to watch the CB over the holidays and if it goes up significantly (over 15%?) then I'll definitely buy a set or two (assuming low hours on the sets as well).

On a slightly off topic note, I saw a Toshiba 46XV640U for $750 at the local Costco that had an amazing picture with excellent off axis viewing and NO reflections. I almost bought one for the folks but Costco was out of stock on that model. On a whim I decided to check eBay again for the 747i and saw the listings mentioned.
post #4700 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 PM

Sigh. I drank the kool-aid and am in for two. I called the company and negotiated a pretty good price for 2 TVs (local pickup, etc). Drove to the warehouse and the folks working there were pretty friendly. They pulled down 2 sets and I checked the hours on them. Both had about the same hours on them. The set I've currently set up has 215 hours on the backlight and 265 hours for power. Is this pretty normal for this TV? I think these are refurbs but one of the sales people said that they were opened for inspection only. The price was good and there were no hot pixels or cosmetic blemishes that I could see so I decided to purchase the sets. BTW, Holy Cow are these suckers heavy

Am watching one of the sets now and am loving it. What a jump up in size from a 27" CRT! I'm also realizing just how sucky the regular DISH signal is on the 622. Over the next few weeks, I plan to upgrade to DISH HD.

BTW, is anyone using this mount for their 747i: linkie to Monoprice product 3724? Any feedback on it? A quick search on this forum showed it to be reasonably good.

Edit: The set mentioned above has firmware 747-B11_V63.7.2A17
post #4701 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Dude 215 hours is low, sounds like a good deal. That mount should be OK too. It says it supports up to 175 lbs. this set is only around 130 without the base if I remember right. Just make sure your studs are not more than 16" on center, if they are that mount won't work. That's a great price if that mount is as described in the ad.

check out this mount
post #4702 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Sigh. I drank the kool-aid and am in for two. I called the company and negotiated a pretty good price for 2 TVs (local pickup, etc). Drove to the warehouse and the folks working there were pretty friendly. They pulled down 2 sets and I checked the hours on them. Both had about the same hours on them. The set I've currently set up has 215 hours on the backlight and 265 hours for power. Is this pretty normal for this TV? I think these are refurbs but one of the sales people said that they were opened for inspection only. The price was good and there were no hot pixels or cosmetic blemishes that I could see so I decided to purchase the sets. BTW, Holy Cow are these suckers heavy

Am watching one of the sets now and am loving it. What a jump up in size from a 27" CRT! I'm also realizing just how sucky the regular DISH signal is on the 622. Over the next few weeks, I plan to upgrade to DISH HD.

BTW, is anyone using this mount for their 747i: linkie to Monoprice product 3724? Any feedback on it? A quick search on this forum showed it to be reasonably good.

Congrats on joining us of a lot of faith. I get free International feeds off of Dish now and then and the SD feeds vary wildly. I mostly get China and India feeds on my 622, just put your guide on "all sub" and enter channel 650 for a preview. My test of the HD channels is the Fox news feed. The suits actually look like cloth, not just some dark colors and stripes. And this is from a 720P transmission!
post #4703 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:

The latest firmware is:

747-B11_V63.7.5A17

The place where you bought the set charges $25 for this firmware. They might give you a copy for PR reasons. If not, I may be able to scare up a copy.
post #4704 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM

Here are the release notes on the latest firmware...

Olevia

Firmware Release History

-The Last Firmware Version: 747_V63.7.5
-The Last Firmware Release Date: 2007-1129

** Warning **
-This firmware is only compatible with TV with the FM number you provide.
-Make sure the FM number you provide is the same as your TV's before installing the firmware.
-It is highly recommended to download the instructions as a reference before installing.

-Firmware Version: 747_V63.7.5
-Release Date: 2007-1129
-Solve the issues below:
1. Improve Auto Calibration of Date & Time function.

-Firmware Version: 747_V63.7.2
-Release Date: 2007-0913
-Solve the issues below:
1. Sometimes TV shuts down when users change Source very often.
2. Sometimes TV shuts down when users use OSD a lot in Surfing mode.
3. Sometimes TV shuts down when users switch mode from Split to PIP or from PIP to Split very often.
4. Improve display performance of HDMI 480i.
5. Improve display performance of HDMI 1080i.
6. Improve display performance of HDMI 1080p.

-Firmware Version: 747_V63.7.2
-Release Date: 2007-0701
-Solve the issues below:
1. After executing Factory Default, the TV may shut down sometimes.
2. Compatible problem with PS3 in AV input.
3. When users turn on the TV, sometimes it is locked at Olveia logo.
4. When users switch the View function to PIP, sometimes the picture is not right.

UNQUOTE

As you can see, the latest version does little of value. Due to the risk of installing firmware, I would not do so, unless I had a particular problem, or had to due to hardware changes, or other valid problems.
post #4705 of 5094 Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Thanks guys!

Thud2: Where'd you get that mount? Price?

rfs1953: I don't get channel 650. Oops, I just realized that we have the 625 (not the 622). Dish SD on the 625 seems to be highly compressed and it looks terrible on the 747i. I have to find a decent hi-def package. In the meantime, I'll try to hook up the external OTA antenna over the weekend.

hdtv4xmas: where did you find the info about the firmware? If you have the firmware, please forward a copy. I'll send you a PM. Many thanks for the offer.
post #4706 of 5094 Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
saidiadude, I emailed you the latest firmware version as you requested (Version 63.7.5). Cheers!
post #4707 of 5094 Old 12-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks Hdtv4xmas and Rarjar for emailing me the firmware. I'll try it tonight.

I wanted to tweak the set the last night so I went back and re-read some of the earlier posts. I turned the backlight down to about 42, increased the contrast and brightness by 2 notches, turned down the color by 2 notches, and turned on the Realta's NR. The latter really a huge difference. I also turned on the NR in the regular menu (what's the difference between this NR and the SMenu NR?). At the moment, I'm going back forth between "Native" and 6500 for the color temp. Any other tweaks that you guys recommend? I know that each room and each set has it's own specific settings but it's great to get a starting point.
post #4708 of 5094 Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

All you have to do is ask in this thread, it's great! The Kool-Aid comes with some perks

Dude, I found the mount on craigslist for around a hundred. It's an Omnimount UCLX. They comin black too, I like it better than the silver, I'll have to paint before I mount the set at the new place. They were going for $550 then, they're still $500 at SEARS But Amazon has them for $275. No deals on eBay for less I checked. Check your local Craigslist and keep an eye on eBay.

Wait, I was searching "UCLX" on eBay, it's "UCL-X" they have some "buy it now" for $175 but try low-ballin it you might get lucky http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IN-BOX-Omni-...item3efb43f714. Also it says 32" to 48" in the ad, it can handle a lot bigger set than 48". From Omnimount "...The UCL-X is our 42"-63"..."Supports up to: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)" I tested it by lifting myself (carefully) on it with the arms fully extended before I set the TV on it.
post #4709 of 5094 Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 AM

Thanks Thud2. I agree that there are a lot of very helpful folks on this form. I ordered the 3724 from Monoprice last night as it seems to be very reasonably priced.

BTW, tried to update the firmware on one of the sets last night but it did not work. The messages on the screen were as follows:
- Update ATI B... Update not needed
- Update ATI A... Update not needed
- Update SOI Firmware... Update not needed

I tried it 3 times before I gave up. My firmware version is reasonably new anyway, so I won't try it again. Oddly enough, every time I tried the update, the HQV NR was turned off by the process. I had to turn it back on again. All other settings in the SMenu were unchanged.
post #4710 of 5094 Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Thud2. I agree that there are a lot of very helpful folks on this form. I ordered the 3724 from Monoprice last night as it seems to be very reasonably priced.

BTW, tried to update the firmware on one of the sets last night but it did not work. The messages on the screen were as follows:
- Update ATI B... Update not needed
- Update ATI A... Update not needed
- Update SOI Firmware... Update not needed

I tried it 3 times before I gave up. My firmware version is reasonably new anyway, so I won't try it again. Oddly enough, every time I tried the update, the HQV NR was turned off by the process. I had to turn it back on again. All other settings in the SMenu were unchanged.

Hey saidadude, you mentioned before that you turned ON the HQV noise reduction in the service menu, among other tweaks. You also mentioned that you saw a significant difference in picture quality because of it. Being that it is/was off by default and we as "users" of the "equipment" were never really meant to find and tweak certain settings beyond the main and sub menus, do you feel completely "safe" tinkering around in those settings?

Sofa King Bananas

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page