~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum
First ... 160  161  162 163  164  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > ~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 04:30 PM 05-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post

I never had a "replacement set".

I bought a JVC LT-46FN97 around this time in '07 and never looked back. Couldn't be happier with it.

Did you get the 'settlement' check from JVC and go crazy with Blu-ray stuff?

dad1153's Avatar dad1153 04:33 PM 05-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by polonius62 View Post

Kids want to hook up the Wii and I'm having problems gettng it to work.

What input should I be using and any menu options that make this work?
When we first got it I had same issue but sent the WIi to the old CRT in the basement.

Plug the Wii to the 747i (composite or component) but don't turn the Wii on yet.

Turn on the 747i and select the input the Wii is connected to.

Bring up the menu, rotate until you find 'Game Mode'. Activate 'GM.'

Now turn on the Wii. You should see it booting up and with less 'lag' than if 'GM' were not on. If this doesn't work, well, you're on your own Pedro.
thebesthereis 07:06 PM 05-15-2010
...all good things come to an end at some point. And when the zombie apocalypse does happen, I want to be beyond ready.

Lucky for me, I CARE VERY DEEPLY about the "soap opera effect" for viewing ANY content. (best thing since sliced bread? )

With that said, does any one know of a set that does this effect (soap-opera) the best? I mean REALLY soap opera effect heavy! I want EVERYTHING I throw at it to look "like sands through the hourglass - so are the Days Of Our Lives!"

I'm not talking quasi/diet "soap-opera". I mean full blast no matter how fast the content is moving. I'll do further research of course, just the best top models thus far.

Thank you in advance for caring.
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 08:08 PM 05-15-2010
From personal experience playing around with Toshiba, Samsung, a couple of Sony models and Sharp units (at a couple of private home set-ups and a few stores) I'd say the Samsung 'soap opera' effect is the strongest when set to 'Medium' or 'High.' With my father's TV the 'soap opera effect with those two speeds was ridiculously 'smooth' and 'fluid,' to the point it became distracting. I set it to 'Low' and, to me, it was a happy medium: neither too smooth nor as 'framey' as when it's Off (i.e. the 60Hz effect).

So, if you want 'soap opera effect' at full tilt I'd say go with Samsung HDTV's.
Thud2's Avatar Thud2 12:02 AM 05-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

Lucky for me, I CARE VERY DEEPLY about the "soap opera effect" for viewing ANY content. (best thing since sliced bread? )

I thought it was only me! I hate the judder in 24 fps film. I always have, even when I was younger and didn't know what caused it. I disagree with those that say it adds some "artistic" dimension. I believe we're naturally resistant to major changes like this. I think that the closer to what I see in "real life" with my eyes, the better.
thebesthereis 11:21 PM 05-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

From personal experience playing around with Toshiba, Samsung, a couple of Sony models and Sharp units (at a couple of private home set-ups and a few stores) I'd say the Samsung 'soap opera' effect is the strongest when set to 'Medium' or 'High.' With my father's TV the 'soap opera effect with those two speeds was ridiculously 'smooth' and 'fluid,' to the point it became distracting. I set it to 'Low' and, to me, it was a happy medium: neither too smooth nor as 'framey' as when it's Off (i.e. the 60Hz effect).

So, if you want 'soap opera effect' at full tilt I'd say go with Samsung HDTV's.

Samsung huh? Hmm...

Thank you for your insight. I will DEFINITELY keep that in mind when searching for a replacement. If ANY HUMAN knows/keeps updated knowledge of TV technology, it's MOST DEFINITELY you dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud2 View Post

I thought it was only me! I hate the judder in 24 fps film. I always have, even when I was younger and didn't know what caused it. I disagree with those that say it adds some "artistic" dimension. I believe we're naturally resistant to major changes like this. I think that the closer to what I see in "real life" with my eyes, the better.

I concur Thud2. I first witnessed that effect at a Bang & Olufsen store here in NY. That was back in 2003. I was by the way The Matrix looked on display in the window. I thought I was watching the Broadway play version of The Matrix. When I went in and asked how the hell they got the movie to look like that, the salesman said "It's the processor in the screen." He NEVER mentioned the 120 Hz factor even once. All he said was, "It's the processor in the screen." Had I had that type of money back then, he might have lollipoped me out of $6500.00.

I asked "Is that why this 32" T.V. that swivels REMOTELY on it's own built in stand costs $6500.00?" Mind you, this was a CRT tube with a flat front screen. BONKERS!!
thebesthereis 04:19 AM 05-23-2010
...but just can't get it to work properly.

Even AFTER multiple firmware updates.
englee1's Avatar englee1 09:13 AM 06-01-2010
That is too f$&!ing funny

Where can I buy one

Thanks for sharing
jasep's Avatar jasep 08:39 AM 06-08-2010
I want to try to submit a claim to my credit card company to try to recoup the repair costs for my 747i, but I don't have the original warranty documentation (I only have the user manual pdf). Does anyone have a copy of the original manufacturer's warranty they can share?
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 11:32 AM 06-08-2010
Sorry, don't have it (submitted all my Olevia paperwork). Good luck.
jasep's Avatar jasep 09:41 PM 06-09-2010
I got the scans of the warranty card from billsan101 on the redflagdeals forum (thanks billsan101!) and I wanted to share them on this thread for anyone who wants or needs them. I will be submitting my warranty claim with AMEX tomorrow, I'll post the results when I have them.

Front: http://imgur.com/sgkfN.jpg
Back: http://imgur.com/1a6GY.jpg
jasep's Avatar jasep 06:22 PM 06-25-2010
My credit card insurance company just got back to me and they have authorized a refund of the full purchase amount (store credit at a major electronics department store). Thanks to this thread for the idea and help!
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 07:33 AM 06-26-2010
You lucky dog. You got to enjoy the 747i for as long as it lasted and now you get your money back in time to buy a new HDTV at their most affordable and technologically-advanced stage yet. Good times! Tell us which HDTV you get with your refund, maybe we can chime in with an opinion or two to sway your purchase.
Johns12's Avatar Johns12 05:16 AM 07-05-2010
So many of you say, "well it was good while it lasted", or "I got 2 good years out of it". Do you guys really enjoy changing out tv sets every few years. My old Sony Trinitron tube 27" lasted me 20 years and I bought it used. My 747 is 2 years old and I certainly hope to keep it for many more (barring any problems). Just curious.
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 06:53 AM 07-05-2010
Don't look at me. I bought one of the first 747i availables on release (March of '07) and, though a little too 'banded' for my taste now, it's still going strong. I'm not getting rid of mine until it croaks or puts out such a s***ty picture I don't even want to look at it. That's the reason I kept my 27" 2004 Sony Wega CRT when I got the Olevia back in '07. No sense to get rid of the last of the great tube TV's if you plan to watch lots of SD in one sitting (even though the 747i's Realta is more than up to the task of rendering good SD on an LCD screen) to help the 747i rest a little and last a few extra months/years. Having a CRT and HDTV on the same room helps me keep them both lasting longer than one of them would last on their own given the amount of watching (both in HD and SD) I do on a daily basis.

Realistically though, most HDTV's in the market today (including the 747i) didn't have poured into them the technology, know-how and/or production quality that went into the making of those old CRT beasts back in the day. Those things were made to last, but nowdays some of them are made to last only long-enough for a person to feel they got their money's worth but then get another one cheap. Sony LCD HDTV's are as susceptible to failure as the Olevia's (maybe a little bit less since Sony is a big-enough electronics giant to put some real coin into its manufacturing/assembly of goods in third-world countries) because, sadly, globalization and the pursuit of profits have contributed to electronic manufacturers settling for 'good enough' versus 'is this as good as we can possibly make it?' And that's how prices of HDTV have fallen as low as they have (quality has to come down on the manufacturing in order for us to be able to get below-$1,000 50" HDTV's from top-tier manufacturers reduced to develop budget models to compete with Vizio for the attention of the budget shopper. Which is weird because, even though it started life as a deluxe TV brand in '07, the Olevia 747i HDTV's only found success when they were liquidated by online retailers for as little as $1,200 (or lower) in 2008. Which Olevia achieved by lowering the quality of inner components of the 747i with cheaper material that, a couple of years later, is contributing to these models' early demise. Capitalism baby, gotta hate it but we can't because it's the worse form of life except for every other one (communism, facism, etc.) that's ever been attempted.
thebesthereis 11:07 PM 07-05-2010
Quote:

Don't look at me. I bought one of the first 747i availables on release (March of '07) and, though a little too 'banded' for my taste now, it's still going strong. I'm not getting rid of mine until it croaks or puts out such a s***ty picture I don't even want to look at it. That's the reason I kept my 27" 2004 Sony Wega CRT when I got the Olevia back in '07. No sense to get rid of the last of the great tube TV's if you plan to watch lots of SD in one sitting (even though the 747i's Realta is more than up to the task of rendering good SD on an LCD screen) to help the 747i rest a little and last a few extra months/years. Having a CRT and HDTV on the same room helps me keep them both lasting longer than one of them would last on their own given the amount of watching (both in HD and SD) I do on a daily basis.

Realistically though, most HDTV's in the market today (including the 747i) didn't have poured into them the technology, know-how and/or production quality that went into the making of those old CRT beasts back in the day. Those things were made to last, but nowdays some of them are made to last only long-enough for a person to feel they got their money's worth but then get another one cheap. Sony LCD HDTV's are as susceptible to failure as the Olevia's (maybe a little bit less since Sony is a big-enough electronics giant to put some real coin into its manufacturing/assembly of goods in third-world countries) because, sadly, globalization and the pursuit of profits have contributed to electronic manufacturers settling for 'good enough' versus 'is this as good as we can possibly make it?' And that's how prices of HDTV have fallen as low as they have (quality has to come down on the manufacturing in order for us to be able to get below-$1,000 50" HDTV's from top-tier manufacturers reduced to develop budget models to compete with Vizio for the attention of the budget shopper. Which is weird because, even though it started life as a deluxe TV brand in '07, the Olevia 747i HDTV's only found success when they were liquidated by online retailers for as little as $1,200 (or lower) in 2008. Which Olevia achieved by lowering the quality of inner components of the 747i with cheaper material that, a couple of years later, is contributing to these models' early demise. Capitalism baby, gotta hate it but we can't because it's the worse form of life except for every other one (communism, facism, etc.) that's ever been attempted.

I have to co-sign every last word that you said. I have NO IDEA what I will do if my 747i croaks.
sportnytt's Avatar sportnytt 08:15 PM 08-06-2010
Dear 747i fans. A while ago i made some posts after my 747i conked out on me. I want to especially thank Dad for being very helpful in recommending a new set to me after TigerDirect granted a replacement.By the way Dad, i am quite happy with the Toshiba !! However i do want to share this with you.
When I received the Toshiba replacement set (i was not able to power the 747i on), and switched the old set out, i decided to give it one last try. It had been dead as a door nail for 4 weeks. Well what do you know. The 7471 chirped and came to life. I moved it to my secondary TV viewing spot and although i only use it a few hours a week, it has worked perfectly for several months now. Its probably just a matter of time before it blows again, but after the repair man deemed it dead, it still hangs on, somehow.
Dont ever give up !
hdtv4xmas's Avatar hdtv4xmas 09:45 AM 08-17-2010
Does anyone know of a site that I can post Firmware updates for all to share? I have updates for Olevia 747i also Olevia 247T FHD also Olevia 265T FHD.
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 11:27 AM 08-17-2010
sportnytt, you lucky dog! A still-kicking 747i and a (decent for the money) Toshiba 46 incher; best of both worlds!
hdtvmonkey's Avatar hdtvmonkey 08:33 PM 08-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv4xmas View Post

Does anyone know of a site that I can post Firmware updates for all to share? I have updates for Olevia 747i also Olevia 247T FHD also Olevia 265T FHD.

I don't know of any sites but I would love to get my hands on the latest firmware updates for the 747i. Are they too big to attach on this forum?
rarjar's Avatar rarjar 06:51 AM 08-31-2010
PM me your email address hdtvmonkey and I'll email you the latest firmware update for the 747i. It's too big to attach here.
mskuse's Avatar mskuse 05:51 PM 09-07-2010
OK.. my harmony 880 died and I just replaced it but for some reason I can no longer assign discrete inputs!!! I had it on my last 880, but when I hooked up my new one and selected the 747i, it wont let me select individual inputs... only if I have the other remote that I could use to learn the codes... any ideas?
Thud2's Avatar Thud2 08:15 PM 09-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskuse View Post

OK.. my harmony 880 died and I just replaced it but for some reason I can no longer assign discrete inputs!!! I had it on my last 880, but when I hooked up my new one and selected the 747i, it wont let me select individual inputs... only if I have the other remote that I could use to learn the codes... any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that it might be the same problem I had with mine originally, look here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16030335
Thud2's Avatar Thud2 09:11 PM 09-20-2010
Hi all, I know I haven't been posting much in this forum recently, I have a new 110" projector setup

but my 747i is still going strong. In the day, when it's to bright to watch the projector (which has an HQV video processor by the way), I just roll up the screen and my 747 is still working perfectly!

Thud2's Avatar Thud2 09:43 PM 09-20-2010
Damn! It may be winding down but this is the 23rd all time most viewed out of 31,592 LCD threads on AVS Forum, with 467,515 views! Pretty good when you consider that the major brands have produced like 5,000 LCD models And Olevia made what 5? The 747i is a great set, but this was a REALLY great and helpful thread. I don't know how many of you guys are still checkin this thread but thanks to all you guys that helped me and so many others so much. I'm sure I missed some (alot) of guys but here goes, in no special order (except for "Dad" and S!TH!NAT0R and I think they deserve to be first on the list not just for being first to post but for always being there to help) .

Thanks;

Dad1153 / S!TH!NAT0R
Johns12
hdtv4xmas
mskuse
thebesthereis
hdtvmonkey
DanLuckes
nat
Yukon Trooper
saidiadude
rivermaniac
warrenpeace
yep, even you Yahway
rarjar
jimmynewtron
englee1
silvereyes
Tuckeye
ricosauve95
livewire89
mastacow53
pelonius62
sportnytt

It was a great run!
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 12:36 AM 09-21-2010
^^^ Are you bailing on the 747i (i.e. getting a new HDTV for daytime viewing) or just this AVS thread Thud? If it's the former then good luck with your new set (doesn't sound like it's failing though), and if it's the latter then welcome to the rest of the human race outside the AVS Forum bubble.
rivermaniac's Avatar rivermaniac 02:36 PM 09-21-2010
this past weekend , I rented " repo men " on blue ray . Everytime I sit and watch , I'm amazed at the picture on this set . There may be darker blacks on some sets , but the detail in the picture is awesome. I have to say thanks to everyone on this thread also , specially to dad153 for all the info . Oh and the one thing , the sd pic on this set can't be beat , that's what I got this for , for soccer games from southamerica with its lame sd broadcasting , but the 747 does a great job ..................
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 03:14 PM 09-21-2010
^^^ Tell me about it. There was a Copa Sudamericana soccer match shown last Friday morning (taped-for-broadcast on Thursday night) in which some team from Paraguay beat a team from Peru by the score of 9 to 0. Yep, NINE to ZERO. It was on Time Warner Cable's super-duper compressed standard definition Fox Sports channel (125 in Gotham) so it's already a compromised viewing experience to begin with. And yet, on the 747i's 47" screen from a DVR'ed recording (watched it Friday night when I came from work) using component cables at 480p, it didn't look half-bad. This truly is a set that can turn (SD) lemons into drinkable (SD) lemonade, or just pass through great-looking high-def (like the Blu-ray or "Speed Racer" I watched over the weekend... Jesus Christ at the color patterns on that thing! ) with minimal compromises besides the contrast ratio. A true champion of the little people.
rarjar's Avatar rarjar 06:39 AM 09-23-2010
I agree dad1153....I recently switched to Direct TV HD with DVR (from Cox Cable) and can say my 747i shines! I had forgotten just how good the overall picture is on this set compared to even some of the "newer" technology units out there. Have not a clue what I'm gonna do if my baby dies on me (knock on wood!).
Thud2's Avatar Thud2 09:19 PM 09-30-2010
Quote:

^^^ Are you bailing on the 747i (i.e. getting a new HDTV for daytime viewing) or just this AVS thread Thud? If it's the former then good luck with your new set (doesn't sound like it's failing though), and if it's the latter then welcome to the rest of the human race outside the AVS Forum bubble.

Hey guys! My 747i is still going strong too, and the picture still gets ooh's and aah's I've been distracted moving and setting up the new system. I recently started a thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1256280 looking for help with my search for a reasonably priced receiver with two HDMI out for a two display system and it hasn't been easy going (DAMN, it's taking alot of research!) If any of you guys have ANY experience with switching for two display systems any help would be great!
Tags: Olevia
First ... 160  161  162 163  164  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop