~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4891 of 5080 Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There must still be a lot of 747i's out there. As of today, I have had over 30 folks request the latest firmware version via PM. Sure glad I thought to keep the file, lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 5080 Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saidiadude View Post

BTW, just ran across the updated website: Olevia Televisions. Looks like the brand name is still alive and kicking....

WOW! I hope they realize they have some pretty big shoes to fill. Somehow I doubt that EMERSON will ever put out a product that will hold a candle to this set.
post #4893 of 5080 Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ Are you bailing on the 747i (i.e. getting a new HDTV for daytime viewing) or just this AVS thread Thud?

Nah, I have a feeling that this set will stay in my home for quite a while longer. I have to be honest, I can't recall any piece of electronics (except maybe may Speak and Spell ) that I was so attached to.
post #4894 of 5080 Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 PM

I've had my set for 2 1/2 years now, and while I'm not the hardcore videophile that some folks are, I feel that this set holds its own against most TV's I 've seen in the stores,even at 60 hz.It may not be LED, or 120hz, but the total package including speakers, PIP functions, and THE CHIP for $1050.00...nuff said.I unplug my set from the power strip every night to make sure this baby will last a long time.I'm going to remove the glass one of these days and give it a good going over.Many thanks to all of you 747i Hall of Famers(you know who you are)who made it easy for me to decide to buy this gem.
post #4895 of 5080 Old 03-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
^^^^What part of The Bronx are you in? Just curious?

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #4896 of 5080 Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Up by Woodlawn.What about you?
post #4897 of 5080 Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredante View Post

Last stop on the D train-by Montefiore Hospital. Up by Woodlawn.What about you?

Walking distance from Yankee Stadium - closer to the new criminal courthouse.

This is good info to know. Just in case you want to sell your set one day, you are not too far.

Sofa King Bananas

post #4898 of 5080 Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM

You know, I was thinking along the same lines....at least you can rest easy knowing
one thing....at 134 lbs, no one's walking away with that baby.Not even in your neighborhood.
Do you have any special hook ups to clean the cablevision signal,or do you have FIOS?
post #4899 of 5080 Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olednow View Post

Thank you Davidermold, pixeltuneup sounds interesting. I turned lighting down but clouding/smudging still visible. Mine is in the 4:3 box only, yours? Why can't pixeltuneup fix this clouding/smudging issue as well?

OK, hopefully some wonderful news in regards to clouding/smudging. I have tried everything in and out of just about every piece of software or hardware to eliminate or lighten the smudging issue. Let me be clear what I have tried:

PixelTuneUp (Hardware) = flashes white and black screen at the proper electrical impulse levels using the VGA port.

Jscreenfix Deluxe- Paid version and tried just about every option available.

Avia Home Theater Disc - Optimize color settings (to try to visually minimize smudging as a last resort).

Pixel Protector Disc - Paid version which has screen washes and color washes.

One other various website that I cannot list because one, I have it saved on my laptop, and two for possible forum rules. (But it had an option to click on a link that would run color and white washes and fading in and out).

NOW...

What I have come to find out is don't be fooled. Much of this "clouding" is not actually a back light issue. What it seems to be is simply image retention. I tried everything, but this is what actually worked.

1. Go into the service mode, and turn your back light setting for "dark mode" down to "0" and turn your lighting mode to "Dark" on your remote. Don't forget to write down what the original setting for the service mode actually is. In my case, I generally keep it at "40".

2. Run a completely white screen either for a few hours or over night depending on how dark the clouding / smudging is. (I used the paid version of JscreenFix).

3. Return to the service menu, change your back light setting for "Dark" back to its usual setting. Again, I keep mine at 40. Exit service menu. I leave my general back lighting at the "Dark" setting pretty much always regardless of the time of day.

Just a note, I also keep the Brightness at 12 notches below the "B" in brightness, and the contrast "12" notches above the "T" in contrast.

4. IMMEDIATELY after you feel you kept the white screen on long enough and changed your settings back to normal, UNPLUG THE SET for a few hours or again overnight. This will cut all electricity going to the screen.

After doing this, the smudging was reduced significantly. After a few more tries, I suspect I will pretty much eliminate it.

Again, I hope this helps because I am OCD, and I hope nobody else has to deal with what I had to. Investing $1000 into a set a few years back and sitting watching smudges in the top right of the screen in HD was driving me ****ing nuts. <-- I use that word directly and literally.
post #4900 of 5080 Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^^^ Thanks for the tip. I'm chicken about messing with my 747i's service menu and, thankfully, the 'smears' on my HDTV haven't gotten so bad that they make watching most regular stuff (HD or SD) an eyesore. If it gets a little worse though I'm sure I'll try your method before deciding to move on to another HDTV.

Quote:

I unplug my set from the power strip every night to make sure this baby will last a long time.

Wait, you're supposed to do that??!! I've had mine plugged in since 2007 non-stop (except when I went on vacation two separate weeks on two separate years). But I also alternate usage of my 747i with a 2004 27" Sony Trinitron CRT whenever I know I'll be watching lots of consecutive SD programming, to minimize the wear-and-tear on the 747i's usage. Did this help me keep the Olevia a little healthy? Or having it plugged in all this time (even when not in use) killed a few months' worth of working life out of my baby?
post #4901 of 5080 Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It went unnoticed (I was knee-deep at work with stuff to do, that's my excuse) but this month marks the fourth anniversary (or fifth year of activity if you want to get technical) of this thread's existence on AVS Forum. It was back in March 4th of '07 that S!TH!NAT0R got the first 747i. That got the ball rolling. Soon WAH, Techaholic, Runoff, myself and many others followed. The rest if still-unfolding history.
post #4902 of 5080 Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Thank you davidermold for this suggestion. I'm going to try it for the next couple of weeks and report back the results. The only difference in our setup is that I've created a 1920x1080 white background jpg picture and I use wdtv to display the photo (screensaver set to off). I'm also curious how you came to the conclusions of your setting. I would think to maximize brightness, contrast and bright room.
post #4903 of 5080 Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You know, I was thinking along the same lines....at least you can rest easy knowing
one thing....at 134 lbs, no one's walking away with that baby.Not even in your neighborhood.

But what if the punk that breaks into your crib, frustated he/she can't carry away your 747i, smashes it into the ground or kicks the screen? Best case scenario would be the glass breaking but the screen/TV itself are spared. I'm in Harlem (a few subway stops away from where you, Bronx gentlemen, reside) and it would bum me up to have someone break into my apartment and, instead of robbing me of my 747i, he/she destroyed my HDTV out of spite for it not being light-enough to be easily carried away.
post #4904 of 5080 Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks again davidermold. If I can figure out how to get into the service menu I will try this. I did buy and have been using pixel tuneup but it is doing nothing.
post #4905 of 5080 Old 03-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you have any special hook ups to clean the cablevision signal,or do you have FIOS?

Cablevision signal? FiOS? You must have me mistaken with someone who pays for television programming. (Although I might if FiOS was available in my neighborhood) I have an OTA antenna hooked up to a splitter going into both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. As far as break-ins are concerned, I've been living in the same apt. since 1979 (I was actually the first tenant since the building was built) and I've never experienced a break in. It's never really been too much a concern for me, although it probably should, considering the amount of tech that resides behind my door. I don't even have apt. insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

But what if the punk that breaks into your crib, frustated he/she can't carry away your 747i, smashes it into the ground or kicks the screen? Best case scenario would be the glass breaking but the screen/TV itself are spared. I'm in Harlem (a few subway stops away from where you, Bronx gentlemen, reside) and it would bum me up to have someone break into my apartment and, instead of robbing me of my 747i, he/she destroyed my HDTV out of spite for it not being light-enough to be easily carried away.

Chances are anyone willing to break in to an apt. for that purpose, just might be under some type of time constraints - rendering the act of vandalism a time vampire.

Happy Birthday to everyone!!

Sofa King Bananas

post #4906 of 5080 Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 PM

Update, using davidermold methods. White wash for 4 hours, unplug for 4 hours. I'm glad to report Clouding is gone on 1st try. However, that banding that some of us experience is still there. By banding, i'm referring to the vertical off color straight line on the right side (that expended in my case to a vertical smudge). I believe that the banding effect is reduced, but its hard to tell. I'm just going to continue this method and see if indeed it can be reduced.
I was also curious about the nature of the banding and why its off color. I've test several pure colors as background and I've noticed that in pure blue is the only time it is present. So its the blue component of any color that displays the artifact. I wonder if its possible to work around the blue pixel setting to limit its impact on the banding. Any thoughts?
post #4907 of 5080 Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 PM

First "Wait, you're supposed to do that??!! I've had mine plugged in since 2007 non-stop (except when I went on vacation two separate weeks on two separate years). But I also alternate usage of my 747i with a 2004 27" Sony Trinitron CRT whenever I know I'll be watching lots of consecutive SD programming, to minimize the wear-and-tear on the 747i's usage. Did this help me keep the Olevia a little healthy? Or having it plugged in all this time (even when not in use) killed a few months' worth of working life out of my baby?"

As you know,a red light is visible in the back of the set when its off.While I can't explain what it might be, it makes sense to minimize any heat sources when the set s not in use.This may not make much difference, but then again, IT COULDN'T HOIT!!!

Second "I don't even have apt. insurance."

Renters Insurance covers more than just the contents of your apartment.You also have benefits when you travel, and its not expensive.The discount you receive from having multiple policies makes it a good hedge for less than .65 cents a day.
post #4908 of 5080 Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 PM

I'm surprised this forum is still active...

I'm a proud owner of the 747i which I've purchased back in May of 2008 but, like a lot of people here I'm noticing heavy banding on the lcd panel. It seems to be most prevalent on darker scenes or backgrounds like medium grey or medium blue tones. Although I haven't been plagued with the "cloud" effect, I did notice the "eggs" issue in the beginning when I first purchased my TV but that went a way about a week or so later.

Ever since I purchased the Olevia I have kept the back light setting to "dark" and my brightness at a minimal level so this may be a reason for not getting the cloud effect. My banding has only been occurring for about 4 or 5 months but, I think it all started when my wife began watching a ton of 4:3 content with the black bars on the side while she was injured. It first started with a thin line down the right side exactly where the black bar would be for a 4:3 image. Then, it progressively developed to bands and blotches all over the screen. I never watch shows with black bars because one of the members here stated they noticed the banding issue and they watch tons of 4:3 content with the black bars on the side. But, now its too late and can't take it back.

I finally decided to call service because I got the 2 year extended warranty through Tigerdirect when I purchased the TV. Now, they first told me that since Olevia went out of business they only covered the TV up to May of 2010. So, that mean I only had 1 year of extended coverage and I purchased the 2 year plan. That upset me but, I accepted it. Then, a couple days later after I called, a supervisor contacted me and said they would honor my warranty up to May of 2011. That was a blessing!!! So, today a local repair rep called and I explained my issue and they determined that it is a bad lcd panel. Now, they just have to provide that information to warranty services to see what they will do.

Hopefully, they will refund what I paid for the TV. Although I'm not expecting that, it would be nice. If they find a replacement panel it probably will be only a matter of time before it starts getting the banding or even the cloud issues like other owners have mentioned.

It is very saddening that the LCD panels Olevia uses for this TV develop these issues because, this TV has the BEST picture quality hands down in its class and holds its own against the more expensive sets like Sony and Samsung. I wonder why other TV manufactures haven't opted to use the HQV Silicon Optix processor that this TV uses. Its the best processor out there. I only know of I other TV that used it and it was a Vizio plasma set.
post #4909 of 5080 Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ There aren't enough eagle-eyed TV viewers to distinguish the clear-to-us difference between a well interlaced signal from an on-board processor versus the cheap one's used by the TV manufacturers. And that's your answer as to why the Realta chips aren't on other TV's: it's cheaper for the manufacturers to use their own processing chips (inferior but passable with most HD and SD sources) at pennies per unit than to buy them from Teranex at $X.XX a pop (which they would add to the cost of the HDTV that carries it, which is death in this cutthroat retail environment).

Sorry your 747i developed the dreaded 'banding' Marbieskarb, at least you go three years' worth of use out of it. I was going to suggest that you try davidermold's fixing suggestion several posts above, but since you started the trading process it's a mute point UNLESS they let you keep the 747i when you gain credit toward the purchase of a new TV. If somehow they let you keep the 747i try davidermold to see if you can have a new HDTV and a mended-but-not-ended 747i that has removed some of the picture problems out of it. If you have to give up the 747i with the credit for a new HDTV f*** it, just give it back to them the way it is.

And remember: 55"+ minimum for the new HDTV or bust!
post #4910 of 5080 Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 AM

Hmm... no banding here. Keep unplugging the set at night. That seems to be the best thing. I used to play Mario Galaxy non-stop for months (until I could finish the game with both mario and luigi) remember, I'm OCD and had that damn life circle showing up when I was watching regular content. Anyway, depending on how long the 4:3 material was used, it may take just as long to remove it. Ironically, and you may not like this because its exactly the opposite of what I posted earlier and the smuding may reappear... White wash with the brightness turned up to about 90% over night. Then unplug for a time.

It seems to me, unplugging the set for significant portions of time starts to eliminate visual issues. I wonder what the set will look like when its in storage for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereyes View Post
Update, using davidermold methods. White wash for 4 hours, unplug for 4 hours. I'm glad to report Clouding is gone on 1st try. However, that banding that some of us experience is still there. By banding, i'm referring to the vertical off color straight line on the right side (that expended in my case to a vertical smudge). I believe that the banding effect is reduced, but its hard to tell. I'm just going to continue this method and see if indeed it can be reduced.
I was also curious about the nature of the banding and why its off color. I've test several pure colors as background and I've noticed that in pure blue is the only time it is present. So its the blue component of any color that displays the artifact. I wonder if its possible to work around the blue pixel setting to limit its impact on the banding. Any thoughts?
post #4911 of 5080 Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I unplug my set from the power strip every night to make sure this baby will last a long time.

Is it worth it? The experts answer: http://www.shelterpop.com/2011/04/14.../?ncid=webmail.
post #4912 of 5080 Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM

Couldn't hoit!!!
post #4913 of 5080 Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM

Well folks, I'm keeping my 747i, albeit, it will be relegated to my game room. After taking my theater Real3D glasses to Best Buy and looking the set over, I just made the leap to an LG 55LW5600 passive 3D LED. Going forward, I will likely be more active on that thread than here, although I'm amazed that every time I think this thread is dying a slow death, it picks back up again, lol!

I have a 3-week wait for the LG to be delivered so I'll continue to watch this thread as the 747i remains as one of my best and favorite flat panels ever!
post #4914 of 5080 Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ TRAITOR! Seriously though, congrats and enjoy your new 'passive' TV while some of us remain 'active' on this one for as long as the old tech holds up.
post #4915 of 5080 Old 05-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Hey dad, I'm keeping the Olevia, not getting rid of it, lol! I actually have needed a larger TV in my game room (it currently has an old 25" CRT if you can believe that) and the 747i will work perfectly there and get very good use for both DirectTV and a blu-ray player!
post #4916 of 5080 Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Hi everybody! How's everyone doin? Well I'm buying a 60" plasma so my 747i is on the auction block. I hate to see it go but the bigger screen is callin me.

It's in perfectly new condition, no eggs, banding or stuck pixels. It hasn't seen much use in the last year or so because I have a projector screen that drops in front of it.

I did the glass off screen cleaning and I blow out the dust monthly so it's in as good shape inside as it is out. I figured I would give you guys a shot at it first Anyone in the Seattle area interested? I have the original box and packing if anyone wants it shipped.

I removed the speakers but I still have the stand. The Powered infinity speakers and sub are for sale too.

The Omnimount is up for sale too.

This could be you! (Sorry, the sword isn't for sale )
post #4917 of 5080 Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

I went and looked at the 60" and the picture can't compare to the 747 so, it looks like it's stayin with me for another few years!
post #4918 of 5080 Old 07-08-2011, 04:40 PM

How much?
post #4919 of 5080 Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Please help, I am a new subscriber and cannot find any existing info on this forum related to my problem. My 747i has worked absolutely fine for over 4 years. Unplugged every night. I just got a PS3which was my first HDMI input source. Been playing for two weeks, and now the screen starts to fade out, starting on the right half of the screen and eventually fading out on the entire screen. Any suggestions, tips, good repair guides? I am in love with this television and bought it specifically for the processoras I have mainly used analog and SD sources. Thanks in advance from a desperate newb.
post #4920 of 5080 Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

That seems like an unusual way for a set to fail Have you tried the other HDMI port?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page