Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCaveDweller View Post

How much?

Sorry man, it's off the market. The new tech isn't far enough ahead yet to make it worth the upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 5076 Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud2 View Post

Sorry man, it's off the market. The new tech isn't far enough ahead yet to make it worth the upgrade

Well said. My Olevias were so far ahead of the old SD tech that it was an absolute no brainer, to grab those sets. But now, the newer tech (3D, higher contrast ratios, higher refresh rates, thinner panel thickness, and etc.) does not look much (if any) better than my old Olevias. I think we will have to wait for the failure of our old sets, or accept the fact that new is only slightly better than old.
post #4923 of 5076 Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

I think this post sums it up best
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

You know, you're right. In this forum/thread we sometimes get caught up with the contrast ratios, pixels, frame interpolation, etc. when these are just tools at our disposal to enjoy what we bought these HDTV's and high-def/standard-def devices for: pleasure. Aural, visual, family (when people/friends watch along us)... we want to experience pleasure without thinking about the obstacles (banding, bad delivery men, price, etc.) standing between us and losing ourselves into our favorite movies, shows, videogames, etc. I went out of my way to get an Olevia 747i not because I own stock in Teranex (makers of the HQV Realta) but because I freaking love to watch contestants win money on gameshows aired on GSN ("Match Game," "Tic Tac Dough," etc.) and CBS ("Price Is Right"). I love to watch little-seen independent foreign films on DVD (i.e. Criterion stuff) along with my dumb-but-fun studio blockbusters. I love South American soccer. Guess what? All these stuff is in standard definition, so to get to the pleasure of seeing/hearing/experiencing these great content (in addition to the new stuff I'm finding in high-def) I got the HDTV that served my needs better.

That's why I bought the Olevia 747i after 12 long, grueling and almost soul-crushing months of hanging around this site. The single most memorable experience I've had watching the 747i in the 14 months since I've owned one was watching Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" on HD-DVD a couple of months ago. I know and love this movie to death (seen it dozens of times on TV and special theatrical screenings) but to finally see it with a 2.1 surround set-up at home on a screen bigger than the 27" I was used to (from a 4K transfer of the original 35mm negative) made me cry at certain moments. I was puzzled at my tears and then I realized they were tears of joy at the perfection of the moment: perfect movie, perfect set-up (for my needs and budget), perfect state of mind (I'm more mature now than when I last saw "2001" so I was able to 'get it' more than before), etc. Its that true moment of utter joy movie buffs always look for but rarely find when they can say to themselves (or their loved one's if they share the hobby) 'it doesn't get better than this.'

The tools that led to my state of mind at that moment were the 747i, the HD-DVD player/movie and the cables connecting each component to each other. The collective result of these working together was the 'emotional response of watching a projected film' that sheldon1 talked about.

post #4924 of 5076 Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

Recently, my 747i has been acting up with my computer.
I use the HDMI-1 port with the rca inpouts for sound, and over the last 3 weeks, several times after having had the computer asleep, and waking it up, the remote would not turn on the TV. We had had a power outage, so I was worried the power conditioner didn't do it's job, but I then switched it off from the button below the right of the screen, and it turned on with the typical white olevia screen and worked fine for several more weeks. Maybe the remote doesn'/t reset some internal setting like the power button on the actual TV does? Anyways, it has worked fine until today.

Today, same thing where it wouldn't turn on from the remote, but then it even wouldn't turn on after many times on and off from the front panel power button. I then unplugged in from my Monster Pro-3500 power center, replugged it, and still nothing, about 4 more cycles on and off, this time from the remote, it went on and gave me the white Olevia screen and is working fine right now.

My question is, what is causing this?
Has anyone else experienced this?
I only use the Olevia as a Computer monitor.
Is it some sort of hard reset?
ANd can I instead opt for having the Olevia go to sleep in step with the computer, without using the VGA input?

Thanks for any ideas or answers.

Had the same thing happen during another power outage recently, and after unplugging it for 30 minutes, then replugging it, it still won't come on, the blue LED front light still turns on and off, but the screen just shows nothing but black.....perhaps it's finally dead ?

Or perhaps there is a repair service who can replace a fuse or bulb for less than the cost of a new TV ??

I'm going to look into whether my homeowner's insurance will cover it, but I still love this TV so much, I'd rather keep it than buy a new one....

Any ideas ? I'm in Chicagoland.
post #4925 of 5076 Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:

This is how I feel.
post #4926 of 5076 Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
I think this post sums it up best
Man, who was that young and idealist 'dad1153' that wrote that post in May of 2008? I don't recognize this star-struck hopefulness or idealism anymore... cynic 4 life!
post #4927 of 5076 Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
How realistic is it to expect those interested in replacing their 747i to also add/purchase a separate/stand-alone video processor (with the Realta chip) into their equation? Just wondering...

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #4928 of 5076 Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 PM

Hi everyone it has been a long time. Recently my set started to freeze. I never updated the firmware , Does anyone know where I can find the last firmware for 747?
Thanks.
post #4929 of 5076 Old 09-06-2011, 05:40 AM

PM me your email address kamkarin and I'll send you the last firmware update issued by Olevia. The file is too big to post here.
post #4930 of 5076 Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM

My email is camera.kamran@gmail.com
Thanks a lot.
post #4931 of 5076 Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM

hey there

proud owner of one as well, since april 2008

anyway, was wondering - for those that unplug it, do you guys physically unplug it, or what do you think of the idea of just turning off the power switch on the TV?

also, rarjar, I sent you a pm about the firmware as well
post #4932 of 5076 Old 09-13-2011, 04:17 AM

Latest firmware sent to both of you via email!
post #4933 of 5076 Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Liked: 11
Wow, the thread that would not die.

I almost bought a 747i because of this thread 4 years ago.
post #4934 of 5076 Old 09-24-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ But you went instead with a JVC 1080i model that has served you well, just like the 747i served my needs fine. Looks like we both made the right choice for ourselves.

If any 747i owner has the unit's original remote control and doesn't use it because you've upgraded to a universal remote, I'd appreciate if you'd let me buy the remote from you if (a) it still works and (b) the price is reasonable. My remote's ON/OFF button and volume control are screwed, meaning I have to get up and walk to my 747i whenever I need to adjust volume or turn the set on/off. Please PM me here at the Forum so we can exchange price ideas. Many thanks in advance.
post #4935 of 5076 Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave95 View Post

anyway, was wondering - for those that unplug it, do you guys physically unplug it, or what do you think of the idea of just turning off the power switch on the TV?

anyone?
post #4936 of 5076 Old 09-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave95 View Post

hey there

proud owner of one as well, since april 2008

also, rarjar, I sent you a pm about the firmware as well

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish by unplugging. My set is on a UPS that shuts power off when I turn the UPS off (generally off whenever I am not watching tv/time shifting programs).

If you are trying to protect the set, the MAXIMUM protection would be to unplug the power cord from the back of the set...(this is because if lightning strikes CLOSE enough, the accompanying magnetic field of the lightning could generate a charge sufficient to FRY your tv in the wiring of the house, and the power cord of the set itself! The odds of all these things happening, is about as remote as ummm getting struck by lightning.

If you are trying to save $, my trusty KillAWatt meter shows the current drain of the 747i when the set is off is ~1 Watt (this allows the remote control sensor in the set to be able to respond to the power on command sent by the remote control.) At ~1 Watt, it will take you a VERY long time to save even $1 (At my KWH rate, 9.7 cents per killowatt, I figure I am wasting $1 every ~14 months, which even I can afford)
post #4937 of 5076 Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

If any 747i owner has the unit's original remote control and doesn't use it because you've upgraded to a universal remote, I'd appreciate if you'd let me buy the remote from you if (a) it still works and (b) the price is reasonable. My remote's ON/OFF button and volume control are screwed, meaning I have to get up and walk to my 747i whenever I need to adjust volume or turn the set on/off. Please PM me here at the Forum so we can exchange price ideas. Many thanks in advance.

Anyone? Nobody has a spare 747i remote the can sell? Hello? Bueller? BUELLER??!!
post #4938 of 5076 Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks to rarjar, my 747i came back to life for few weeks. Sadly it is not working again. It turns on but no picture. I have no idea what could be wrong with it. I live in New York City and so far one technician from a Brooklyn –based TV repair center said, over the phone, that it is better to buy a new one.
post #4939 of 5076 Old 10-26-2011, 03:46 PM

Pulled plug out from behind set as I've done now and then in the past, an hour or so later, plugged back in, but wouldn't power on. I've double and triple checked everything; power outlet fine, everything else I plug in works etc etc.....this 747 just showing no signs of life now. As far as I know there is no way to repair these anymore right? Or if this is a dead power supply and can be repaired; is expense even worth it? Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks
post #4940 of 5076 Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 PM

False alarm, turns out I'd inadvertantly turned off power switch on back of set next to plug when I unplugged it. Doh! The set is working fine.

New subject; clouding/burn-in....still there bigtime but I think I've stumbled upon something; if I unplug set for awhile, when plugged back in the clouding is way less, as has been noted in earlier posts. But then as soon as I use the vga screen, the clouding/burn-in comes back in exact same spot. I have used this 747 as a computer monitor more then as a TV. Could it be that regularily using the vga input does more clouding and burn-in damage then other inputs?
post #4941 of 5076 Old 10-31-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamkarin View Post

Thanks to rarjar, my 747i came back to life for few weeks. Sadly it is not working again. It turns on but no picture. I have no idea what could be wrong with it. I live in New York City and so far one technician from a Brooklyn -based TV repair center said, over the phone, that it is better to buy a new one.

Sorry to hear this kamkarin. Sounds a tad like a power supply or main circuit board problem. Even though one can find used parts for these tvs occasionally, I suspect your tv repair guy might be correct...cheaper and less trouble to buy a new tv.
post #4942 of 5076 Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

Had the same thing happen during another power outage recently, and after unplugging it for 30 minutes, then replugging it, it still won't come on, the blue LED front light still turns on and off, but the screen just shows nothing but black.....perhaps it's finally dead ?

My 747i died in a similar manner in September. The first time it happened, the screen simply froze on an image, but it wasn't the source. Tuning it off and back on it ran for about 10 seconds and froze again, and the pixels shifted in color. After that, it simply wouldn't turn on... the blue light would go out, but no ikmage would appear. Finally, it turned back on after being left for a couple of hours. About two weeks later, it froze again, and after that it would not turn on, regardless of my actions. The set was always hooked to a
decent UPS (though not fully line-interactive) with good surge and spike protection.

My solution was to pick up a new set; the backlights had been losing their brightness unevenly for some time (something that has happened with all of the LCD TVs I have owned - I watch a LOT of TV ), so it was about time for a replacement. Still, I hadn't planned or budgeted for a new TV - I had hoped to wait another year. Oh, well.

Unfortunately, I threw out my remote! I didn't realize anyone would be in need. Usually I tend to keep everything, but my wife gets after me. It was brand new, since I always used a universal remote with the TV.
post #4943 of 5076 Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamkarin View Post

Thanks to rarjar, my 747i came back to life for few weeks. Sadly it is not working again. It turns on but no picture. I have no idea what could be wrong with it. I live in New York City and so far one technician from a Brooklyn -based TV repair center said, over the phone, that it is better to buy a new one.

Kamkarin, did the tech say that the set was un-repairable or just that it was better to buy a new one? I personally think that it might be worth it to get it repaired vs. replaced. Even if the cost of getting a new one might be less expensive, the tech inside the set is close to un-replaceable.

Sofa King Bananas

post #4944 of 5076 Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olednow View Post

New subject; clouding/burn-in....still there bigtime but I think I've stumbled upon something; if I unplug set for awhile, when plugged back in the clouding is way less, as has been noted in earlier posts. But then as soon as I use the vga screen, the clouding/burn-in comes back in exact same spot. I have used this 747 as a computer monitor more then as a TV. Could it be that regularily using the vga input does more clouding and burn-in damage then other inputs?

I don't think that's the case. My set burns in quickly on any input now when left on a menu or other still graphics. Those type of burn-ins don't last for long when the picture changes. However, most content displayed on my set is 4:3, and that area stays burnt in.

So I think it's just a weird, general image retention problem with the batch of panels some of us got. But I should try to see if any of the fixes mentioned prior might work.
post #4945 of 5076 Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Yes I suspect you are right: we just got a bad batch of panels. Really is too bad because this TV has a great picture otherwise.
post #4946 of 5076 Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Dad bought a 55 inch led Toshiba. It's bright and looks pretty good. Light bleed from the corners is worse than mine. I can get his for $900 shipped not tax. It even has wireless and all that, but I dont care about those features. It's brighter than mine obviously, but I still don't think it's nice enough to replace 747i. I actually use the 747i's speakers ask my center channel for surround sound, and don't want to give that part of my home theater up. Looked at a sharp and samsung and am just not impresses compared to mine.

Anyone replace their Olevia and happier about it?

If so....what did you buy?
post #4947 of 5076 Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post

Dad bought a 55 inch led Toshiba. It's bright and looks pretty good. Light bleed from the corners is worse than mine. I can get his for $900 shipped not tax. It even has wireless and all that, but I dont care about those features. It's brighter than mine obviously, but I still don't think it's nice enough to replace 747i. I actually use the 747i's speakers ask my center channel for surround sound, and don't want to give that part of my home theater up. Looked at a sharp and samsung and am just not impresses compared to mine.

Anyone replace their Olevia and happier about it?

If so....what did you buy?

That's actually a good question. I'd also like to know. Somebody please chime in.

We know Thud has invested in an alternative but not a replacement.

Sofa King Bananas

post #4948 of 5076 Old 11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

post #4949 of 5076 Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

That's actually a good question. I'd also like to know. Somebody please chime in.

We know Thud has invested in an alternative but not a replacement.

Your right the projector is definitely not a replacement for the 747. I still watch my Olevia almost every day. Only use the projector for Blu-Ray movies at night or sometimes sports in the daytime (and then I have to turn the blinds to cut the light). Been looking at Black friday deals. The 65" Toshiba for under a grand at Walfart looked good, if I had the cash i might go for it but at normal prices ($1,700) it's just not worth it to replace the 747 yet... the 747 is still THE TV in my house.

They probably only had 1 set per store anyway.
post #4950 of 5076 Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Olevia's got a website up http://olevia.com/. Largest set is 42". They sure aren't the company that made this set anymore. They really need to work on their PR. I don't think they're setting their sights very high though, here is a blurb they have on the home page of the site;

Why would you put that on your own site? They're bragging about being in 7th place, WOO-HOO!
Oh, at the very bottom of the page in fine print it says "THE OLEVIA LOGO IS A TRADEMARK AND/OR REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF EMERSON RADIO CORP., MOONACHIE, NEW JERSEY, U.S.A., USED UNDER LICENSE" So these sets are EMERSONS with an OLEVIA logo slapped on. I wonder if they have Realta HQV processors inside (NOT). Hey, where does EMERSON stand on that Consumer Reports performers list?

"Among LCD TVs, Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic have regularly been among the best performers. Close behind is Toshiba, followed by LG and Olevia. Then there's RCA and Sylvania... and then GE and uh..., Philco and Admiral... and Sears made a good set back in the 60's and oh yeah, then there's Emerson".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page