Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAH View Post

NO WAY! Maybe it's your ears .... or eyes ....... When is the last time you had a check up? Jus' Kiddin'
The MAIN reason (there were many) I got rid of the Vizio was lip sync (not from a weak signal). This is the 1st post I have seen about lip sync on the Olevia. Were there others and I just missed them?

What he is saying is, there is a option to "lip sync" just in case some channel is not matching up ... So no worries there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 AM
WAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor View Post

What he is saying is, there is a option to "lip sync" just in case some channel is not matching up ... So no worries there.

OK. Now I get it! Boy is that a relief! Now Techaholic's reply to me makes sense! I'm all smiles again even though I don't have one of these TV's ... YET
post #543 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I'm nursing the mother of all allergy-induced cold flu's, so for the past couple of days I've been bed-ridden. Its the first time outside of weekends that I've watched the 747i during the day and this set continues to impress me. I'm watching The Price Is Right with OTA (SD on a Digital feed), and I can't get over how LOUD these speakers are when watching OTA channels. Last night's Lost nearly blew my ears away when a loud music cue came out of nowhere and shook my little apartment. As usual the HDTV makes you want to watch HD stations even if they're not showing anything you're remotely interested in; Universal's Action Sports block and Discovery HD are particularly amusing in this regard.
post #544 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

So now that the set has warmed up, I see no EGGS, but there is a bright corner bottom left which is only visible at night when there are side bars or a blank no input screen (it amuses me that Sony and Sharp turn the back lights off now when there is no input, to try and stop folks looking for Clouds and such like), overall the set is as before, great SD amazing HD and no black crush. The 1:1 and PIP are awesome. The 747 definitely has less glare than the Sammy 5265, even with the glass front they really have done a great job, even better than those Elite plasmas with regard to reflection. Also the speakers on this set are also the best I have heard on the sets I have tested. Lip sync, yes this set has lip sync also another thing I didn't find on the Sammy. So I am well pleased and feel at home with this set, the only thing that could faze me now is if Olevia upped this model with a higher contrast ratio, 120hz refresh rate and a bigger size.

If you get a chance, I would love to see pictures of XBMC on this set, in particular YouTube. Thanks.
post #545 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I still love "OLEVIA" ... She is still as gorgeous as the first day I picked her up and put her in the back of the truck. The rest of that story is X-RATED so I will stop there lol.

On a serious note ... The TV is amazing, no clouds, no eggs, beautiful picture and man can this TV put out some GREAT looking SD, that is no lie this TV shines in HD and looks so damn good in SD. I am going to get a 6500 temp light for behind the TV to give it a tad bit deeper blacks or at least the illiusion, not that the blacks are bad (they aren't at all) I just think It would make it even better than what it already is. The TV does have slight banding in a "GREY" test screen, but not in normal viewing or gaming, and I will say it one more time "NOT IN NORMAL VEIWING OR GAMING".

My modded XBOX W/XBMC is awesome, my XBOX 360 is amazing, and my HD-DVD player (HD-A2) is rocking .... This TV does such an outstanding job of upconverting SD DVD's and HD-DVD's at 1080i from my HD-A2 to 1080p it is freaking sweet. I have my XBOX 360 hooked up via componet, I had it hooked up via VGA and it looks sweet but to my eyes (at least to my eyes right now) componet looks better, still switching between the two though.

I don't use the XBOX 360 for up-converting because I have the XBOX W/XBMC and the HD-A2. The HD-A2 is what I use for SD DVD's, I set it to 480i and let the TV do it's magic. The sound is so awesome .... Watching NIN on HD-DVD with the sound cranked up just from the TV at half way makes my apartment shake lol. This TV is loud I don't even usually move the volume slider half way up, but when I do I know it and the neighbors do too.

So I guess I am trying to say I love this TV and coming from quite alot of other HDTV's in the last couple months ( to many to say ) this one does not dissapoint. I think anyone interested in buying "OLEVIA 747i" will not be sad that they did, it's that good. I know in the next couple years this TV will go in the bedroom and I will get another for the living room, there is alot of new technology coming out in the next few years/months and I will be doing my homework on all of the upcoming brands/technologies but I know the brand of TV that I will be most interested in and that will be the "OLEVIA' I just hope that the next high end series from "OLEVIA" will live up to this series and shine even brighter.
post #546 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 AM

Saylor - you're killing us ! We need PICS !!!!!!

Damn, I wish my house remodel was done so I could buy one right now.
post #547 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks saylor. Your testimony is further proof that me, Sithanator, Techaholic and others that got a 747i early and posted about it here weren't lying or making **** up.
post #548 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well there not good, but give you some idea what the XBMC and the 747 can do.

XBMC Music Menu
post #549 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How about the YouTube menu or a YouTube video playing on the 747i? That'd be a first for this thread (and AVS Forum if I'm not mistaken).
post #550 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

YouTube Main Menu

XBMC Main Menu

YouTube playing

Another YouTube playing, I not tryng to make a statement, just thought it was funny.

Another main menu while playing music...

Xbox plays a kalidoscope while playing music
post #551 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Techaholic. Suddenly my regular Xbox that just plays videogames and DVD's looks positively ancient. My God, I want your XBMC so bad!
post #552 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 PM

Thanks Techaholic.

dad1153 - just check craigslist, lots of modded xboxes with xbmc being sold.
post #553 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

You can softmod it in 30mins, no hardware needed at all..
post #554 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ny888 (and Techaholic too), assume I'm a dumb illiterate ****** when it comes to computers, HTPC and anything involving anything more complex than opening Word or an e-mail. If I buy an XBMC from anywhere, what do I need to get it to work and do the stuff Techaholic is doing with his XBMC? Does the XBMC have to be connected to a computer to access the cool features? Does it need some sort of wireless connector to a PC (I have none of that)? How about cable modem/DSL inputs (my regular Xbox doesn't have any)? Basically I want to know if an XBMC is of any use to me if I don't have the necessary HT/computer gear to get the most out of it. Thanks!
post #555 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Your xbox with xbmc will need to have ethernet connection to get onto your local area network. Once it's on the network, it can either access media from a PC on the network that is sharing folders or on a network storage device (NAS). I have a NAS so it eliminates the need to have a PC on at all times. All of my music, photos, and videos are stored on the NAS drive.

What is your PC and network connectivity like today at home? I think you're in NY? Too bad I've moved from NY to San Francisco. Otherwise I'd be happy to help you get things set up. I'll still be willing to help you any way I can through email, this forum or phone if you'd like because once you see xbmc in action, you'll wonder why everyone isn't doing it.

As an example, I can rip a DVD onto the NAS as an ISO file (or vob files) and xbmc can stream that to the tv. No need then to put the DVD into a player. I need to spend some time to rip my DVDs onto the NAS and my video library will then be accessible by xbmc. It will be so convenient for my daughter once I can rip her DVDs onto the NAS, that way she can use the xbox/xbmc to watch her movies on the big tv.

If the xbox is connected to the internet, it can even go to imdb web site and download information about the movies including the thumbnail image, cast, and plot description. I've been watching YouTube videos and Movie Trailers streaming through the xbox/xbmc straight from the internet.

My wife has always complained that to view the family pictures and videos, she has to do it on the pc. Now that it all resides on the NAS, she can view it all on the big tv instead. She can also access our entire music library as well through xbmc.
post #556 of 5080 Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

First I've ever heard of a 747i making noise. Is the TV plugged to the wall or a power distributor? It isn't normal for a 747i to have a buzzing noise of any kind, so either you've got a defective set or you're Sylar from "Heroes" and have super-hearing abilities.

The set is plugged into wall's power outlet. The noise comes from the back so it might be that the TV is defective. Although, it didn't make noise this evening. I wonder why... gotta keep an eye on it.

Tim
post #557 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Dumb, now did I, I say did I say you're dumb
post #558 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny888 View Post

Your xbox with xbmc will need to have ethernet connection to get onto your local area network. Once it's on the network, it can either access media from a PC on the network that is sharing folders or on a network storage device (NAS). I have a NAS so it eliminates the need to have a PC on at all times. All of my music, photos, and videos are stored on the NAS drive.

What is your PC and network connectivity like today at home? I think you're in NY?

As an example, I can rip a DVD onto the NAS as an ISO file (or vob files) and xbmc can stream that to the tv. No need then to put the DVD into a player. I need to spend some time to rip my DVDs onto the NAS and my video library will then be accessible by xbmc.

If the xbox is connected to the internet, it can even go to imdb web site and download information about the movies including the thumbnail image, cast, and plot description. I've been watching YouTube videos and Movie Trailers streaming through the xbox/xbmc straight from the internet.

All I have at home is a two-year old laptop (Meridian) and Road Runner high-speed cable modem. Is that the same as ethernet? Are these XBMC's equipped with connectors for ethernet or do you have to build it for them? And how can an XBMC access the internet without a browser when fed ethernet? No clue what NAS is. Thanks for the offers to help but if I can't learn to use this by myself then it's not worth it for me to get one.
post #559 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile...lurking some, but mainly just sitting back and enjoying my 747i and xbox 360. I do have an audio issue...I noticed that my stereo receiver won't play Dolby Digital sound from my Dish HD/DVR when I have the box connected to the 747 via HDMI and then use optical/toslink cable from the 747 to my reciever...it just shows up on my receiver as PCM sound. However, if I run the toslink optical cable from the back of the box directly to my receiver, it will play Dolby Digital sound. I used ESPN HD playing SportsCenter as my test program, and I couldn't tell much of a difference in terms of how they sounded (PCM vs. Dolby Digital), but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there's anything I can do about it (or should do about it), short of running three optical cables to my receiver (1 for the 360, 1 for the 747, 1 for the Dish box).

My only other beef with my setup is that I'm still using several remotes to run everything. The Dish STB doesn't have codes for Olevia, the Olevia book shows a code for Dish Network STB's, but it doesn't work for mine, and while my Dish remote will control my Sony receiver's volume, it doesn't change inputs, so I have to do that manually or with the receiver remote (which won't control either the 747 or the Dish box). I also got the 360 media remote, and it doesn't control anything other than the 360. I also can't change inputs on the 747 with any of the other remotes...I've actually started just using the "Source" button on the TV itself when I'm up changing disks in the 360, but actually using a button on the TV instead of a remote seems almost barbaric somehow

Of course both of the these issues pale in comparison to my love of this TV! I am still blown away by the picture, especially HD...I love me some Heroes in HD! (and Lost and Battlestar Galactica and the list goes on!) And don't forget the SD upconversion...even watching cartoons with the kids, this TV looks sharp!
post #560 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timho View Post

The set is plugged into wall's power outlet. The noise comes from the back so it might be that the TV is defective. Although, it didn't make noise this evening. I wonder why... gotta keep an eye on it.

Tim

Try to play with room lighting mode.
My 537H makes a low frequency noise when in Dark Room mode, but is tottally quiet in Bright Room mode.

So I swiched to Bright Room and ajusted the brightness and contrast to accommodate it as my TV is really in dark room.
post #561 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:

All I have at home is a two-year old laptop (Meridian) and Road Runner high-speed cable modem. Is that the same as ethernet? Are these XBMC's equipped with connectors for ethernet or do you have to build it for them? And how can an XBMC access the internet without a browser when fed ethernet? No clue what NAS is. Thanks for the offers to help but if I can't learn to use this by myself then it's not worth it for me to get one.

The xbox already comes with an ethernet port in the back. I'm assuming you're connecting your laptop to the cable modem to access the internet. You would need an ethernet switch so that both the laptop and the xbox can access the internet. You don't necessarily need a browser to access the internet. A modded xbox has applications like xbmc that can access the internet directly.

Your laptop has an ethernet card built into it that allows you to connect it to the cable modem using an ethernet cable. A switch would have your cable modem as an input with multiple ethernet ports as output. That would allow you to connect multiple devices to the cable modem, in effect.

A NAS is just a storage device with disk drives and built-in ethernet capability that would also be connected to the switch. All devices on that switch would be able to "see" each other. Therefore, xbmc would be set up to "see" the NAS storage device and access the media stored there. Without NAS, you can store media on your laptop and share the folder(s) and xbmc would be able to access that as well.

If you want more details, we can take it to PM or email in case others don't want to see this.
post #562 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 AM

This question is for anybody with an XBOX 360 and OLEVIA 747i ... When you are playing games on the XBOX 360 do you output 720p and let the TV upconvert or set it to 1080p ?? Or via VGA same question except with 1280x720 or 1920x1080 ??
post #563 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks ny888. I'll shop around and see if a modded Xbox system is for me. Considering the ungodly amount of time I spend on Youtube looking at dumb stuff it might actually be worth it. I mean, who wouldn't want to look/listen at this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr39Th4O5W0) in 47 inches of 1080p glory and 50W of sound?
post #564 of 5080 Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor View Post

This question is for anybody with an XBOX 360 and OLEVIA 747i ... When you are playing games on the XBOX 360 do you output 720p and let the TV upconvert or set it to 1080p ?? Or via VGA same question except with 1280x720 or 1920x1080 ??

I set my XBox 360 (after its OS has been updated with the latest version from XBox Live) at 1920x1080 on all games and let that signal go to the TV set. Works for me on any game I've thrown at the 747i, even the one's that were rendered at 720p (like the new "Tomb Raider"). But hey, feel free to set your 360 to 720 and see if the 747i does a better job of upconverting the signal to 1080p than your system. Personally the differences (if any) are so neglible I don't bother to change my 360's output from 1080p on any game I play, even the 720p rendered one's.
post #565 of 5080 Old 04-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyampel View Post

Try to play with room lighting mode.
My 537H makes a low frequency noise when in Dark Room mode, but is tottally quiet in Bright Room mode.

So I swiched to Bright Room and ajusted the brightness and contrast to accommodate it as my TV is really in dark room.

This does do the trick! Although the humming still wouldn't go away completely. I hope it won't get any worse or a technician visit will probably be needed. Thanks for the tips anyways.

Tim
post #566 of 5080 Old 04-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, this is my first post.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 747i. I've been looking for an LCD that does a good job with HD as well as SD and DVD and this one seems to fill the bill. Lots of viewing time will be spent watching football (HD and SD) in a bright room.

Am I making the right choice?

Also, has anyone had experience purchasing a TV from Newegg.?

thanks
post #567 of 5080 Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post

I've been looking for an LCD that does a good job with HD as well as SD and DVD and this one seems to fill the bill. Lots of viewing time will be spent watching football (HD and SD) in a bright room.

Am I making the right choice?

Since you're making good SD performance from TV signals and DVD in a bright room as important as HD then yes, this TV is the right (albeit expensive) choice. Since you like football so much you should make sure you have your cable/satellite tuner on one input and an OTA antenna on another input (assuming you live within range of a digital TV station) so that you can use the 747i's picture-in-picture mode to watch two football games simultaneously. Heck, wh not a baseball game and a football game simultaneously? Or a PGA golf match and a tennis match? Once you learn to watch/flip/switch between two football/sports games (college or NFL) at the same time you might want to consider the impact such addictive stuff will have on your marriage.
post #568 of 5080 Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 PM

I would like to know something. Is it worth it to go to the 47" because I am in canada and the only supplier I can get it from is "The Source By Circuit City" I called the head office and was told that they would be handling the 42" as well, at about 1300 less canadian. would it be worth it to go the extra 5" for more then 1k more?

I am new here and haven't posted much at all, but have been following the olevia 7 series forums though.
post #569 of 5080 Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 PM
WAH

Quote:

... make sure you have your cable/satellite tuner on one input and an OTA antenna on another input (assuming you live within range of a digital TV station) so that you can use the 747i's picture-in-picture mode to watch two football games simultaneously....

I thought with the dual QAM tuners you would be able to watch two HD channels with just one cable. I have read about the dual tuners but never saw anything about dual inputs. The TV I have now has dual tuners (not QAM) ... it splits the signal inside the TV! I like that feature ... a lot!

I can work around it regards,
Arturo
post #570 of 5080 Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 PM

I'm in the pool. I ordered the 747i a few days ago. I could not have done it without the info on this great thread. Now the wait.......

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page